Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 02:58 PM   #1951
saysay
DIS Veteran

PrncessKateNicole: ALWAYS go with your gut on safety. If you don't feel safe, better safe than sorry. Tomorrow is another day to get that long run in. One thing I do on my longer runs when building mileage is give myself permission to walk the last mile if I need to. It helps me mentally and you know only 1 time did I walk the last mile. I am glad that before I started I told myself again "Going for 7, or run 6 and walk 1 if you need to". I petered out sometime during mile 6 and walked the last mile. I don't know what happened, but man I was beat that last mile. And when I was done, I was so happy it was over, but glad I did the planned 7.

For all you sick princesses, feel better! Last year my longest run was 10.5 done on 2/2 and I had a GREAT race. So if you start feeling sick between now and the race, REST UP!

I am getting so excited. Really looking forward to a trip away!

Disneyland - 2009 Sheraton, 2010 Candy Cane Inn, 2012 Grand Californian
WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana, 2014 POR, CR, AKL
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #1952
saysay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Well, that's the thing, she was an athlete...and my trainer has been going to her for a long time because of that and she did mention to me in my appointment that she treats alot of athletes, so I got the impression from her that she is in a mindset to get me back to being active...I guess I just need to clarify with her how active and in what form. I wrote down lots of questions for my appointment this afternoon, so I hope to have a better picture of what's going to happen. I'd really like to know what she thinks of me aiming to run Tinker Bell again next January. I really didn't have any big runs on my list after PHM, but figured I'd do some 5 and 10k's here and there until it was time to train for Tink again. So, if she thinks Tink is do-able, I need to figure out what I can do safely to keep up some of my endurance...and really focus more on strength and cross-training during this running hiatus. I know my lack of cross-training lately (well, longer than just "lately" if I'm being honest) was a major contributor to all of this and I have to get back to that. Last year my bootcamp class had to go from 2 to 1 day a week and I could tell a big difference...then we went on a hiatus over the summer because there were so many schedule conflicts and not enough people were coming consistently. The idea was to keep it going on our own at home, the gym, etc. Good intentions, but I didn't.
Do you do intervals? When i went to sports doc, he told me to walk more and run less...at the time i was doing 2min run/1 min walk. He told me to go down to 1/1 and possibly 1/2. The 1/1 seemed to do the trick for me. If you are an interval person, you might ask about that. Bummer about your injury, but I did the 2011 race injured and took it very slow and still had a blast!

Keep us posted.

WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana, 2014 POR, CR, AKL
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 03:09 PM   #1953
LoveMyMoos
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post
OKay princesses - I'm begging you all to send some pixie dust my way.

I'm sick. Seriously sick. I've got a sinus infection, strep and my doc thinks I have pneumonia as well.

I've been down for almost 2 weeks now - got sick almost as soon as I got home from Tink so haven't run further then 5kms since then and not at all in the last week. Probably won't be able to for another week either.

HELP!

Any ideas what to do?
I know this sounds like hippie stuff, but vitamins and supplements go such a long way!! One big thing would be Vitamin D. I take 4000IU a day, 8000 if I feel icky. 1000mg vitamin C. Echinacea, and Elderberry Syrup(I take Elderberry Extract in capsule form). These are the regular vitamins I take daily for immune support. And I'm the only one in my house who hasn't gotten sick this winter. We've seen a stomach virus and strep throat and I've avoided it. Probiotics too, see if your grocery store carries Lifeway Kefir. It's like drinkable yogurt, and probiotics helps boost your immune system too. If you are having lung issues, see about a steroids inhaler and a rescue inhaler too. I hope you feel better soon. I've been terrified of catching something before this race, which is why I've been so big on the vitamins and herbs.
Nov 2013 POFQ Wine and Dine 1/2 Marathon Jan 2014 Paradise Pier DL Tink 1/2 Marathon Feb 2014 Contemporary Glass Slipper Challenge
Old 02-02-2013, 03:10 PM   #1954
saysay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
add me to the injured list. during my training for the full i got a nasty case of hamstring tendonitis. the pain manifested itself in the back of my knee. i couldn't walk for almost 3 weeks without a limp. i rested and pt'ed and all that and surprisingly i was able to do the full. i could only run 30 secs at a time so did a :30/:30 run walk run ratio.

anyway, i was feeling great after and have had a few good runs since then during my princess training. i went on a run on wednesday and decided to give it a try without the knee brace. bad idea. had to limp home.

so my plan is to pretty much do nothing for a while and then take it easy on the run and hope that my full training will keep me going through the end of feb.

good luck to everyone! i hope i run into some of you i rode the bus with betsy (ironz) and summer (cripey) back in 2011 and had fun meeting new people!

now if only those waivers would come out....
Bummer about the injury, you should be fine to finish. I had Plantars Faciitis in 2011 and finished the race after I hadn't run in about 6 weeks. I got up to 11.5 in my training before it flared up. With rest and PT I was good to go. AND I still had fun! Hoping you heal soon.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:38 PM   #1955
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

My 12mi run today became 12.7 in 2:08. I felt great at the end-- definitely ready for 13.1! Temps were in the 20s, but we were mostly protected from the wind which was good. I'm not sure how I'll acclimate to the race temps. Last year it was 55 for most of the race, which was good (except for the cold drizzle at the end). I'm afraid this year it'll be more likely in the 70s.
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #1956
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnygal041 View Post

Hi there. I am sooo sorry you are sick. I can only offer this: everyone in my office has been sick, except for me. I have been drinking 100% grape juice like crazy, drinking green tea and taking Zycam.

Cindy
Quote:
Originally Posted by joan4mickey View Post
Yes. Take a deep breath. I had gotten very ill 3 weeks before the 2011 Princess. You have just done a half so you know you can do it. First you must get healthy. You should be on antibiotics for the infection and not running. If it is nice out, go for a short walk for some fresh air and dress for whatever weather you have. I missed my last long run that year and then had two 4-5 mile runs the last week and finished fine.

Here's the thing, my doctor thought it was just a viral thing so I should rest and I did. Really I felt so bad the day before my DH said we were going to the doctor, I honestly thought I would die. I could barley get myself up out of the bed and or even have the energy to take a breath. I was sick. The day before the half(Saturday), I got very ill (TMI, vomiting bad) and was in bed all afternoon and evening and ate an oatmeal cookie for dinner and some soda. And my DD showed up Friday night also sick and my other DD arrived and had had a horrible breakup two days earlier. Yes, we were a mess. Anyway, turns out I had strep, which I found out two weeks after the race when I just couldn't recover...just tired, slept alot, wasn't eating.

Hope you get to feeling better very soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwaitvaca09 View Post
I hope you feel better fast.
I would not worry about the princess, you have already done the miles. Just rest up so your better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Agree with Joan's earlier post...REST ! I remember reading your posts here and believe you are sooooo prepared and a little rest will give your body a chance to rest and recover. I remember my running coach telling me lots of people get sick and injured before a big race as your body is tired. I'm just starting to get back to training after a super bad cold and it is slow with LOTS of walking but my body is doing okay after a week of rest.

Sending pixie dust and prayers your way !
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos View Post
I know this sounds like hippie stuff, but vitamins and supplements go such a long way!! One big thing would be Vitamin D. I take 4000IU a day, 8000 if I feel icky. 1000mg vitamin C. Echinacea, and Elderberry Syrup(I take Elderberry Extract in capsule form). These are the regular vitamins I take daily for immune support. And I'm the only one in my house who hasn't gotten sick this winter. We've seen a stomach virus and strep throat and I've avoided it. Probiotics too, see if your grocery store carries Lifeway Kefir. It's like drinkable yogurt, and probiotics helps boost your immune system too. If you are having lung issues, see about a steroids inhaler and a rescue inhaler too. I hope you feel better soon. I've been terrified of catching something before this race, which is why I've been so big on the vitamins and herbs.

Thank you so much everyone. I guess I just needed to whine for a bit and get it out. I'm loading up on the supplements to try to kick this thing out of me and protect me from the anti-biotics. Those things are not nice to me.

I hope all the sick and injured princesses are back on their feet soon.

We're getting so close now!

You guys are the best!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #1957
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy

Best running song ever! Princess and the Frog. "Trials and Tribulations, you know I've had my share. There ain't nothin' gonna stop me now 'cause I'm almost there!"
OMG, I never knew that was the title. Tooo funny.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #1958
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiggerAllie View Post
My 12mi run today became 12.7 in 2:08. I felt great at the end-- definitely ready for 13.1! Temps were in the 20s, but we were mostly protected from the wind which was good. I'm not sure how I'll acclimate to the race temps. Last year it was 55 for most of the race, which was good (except for the cold drizzle at the end). I'm afraid this year it'll be more likely in the 70s.
You are so my idol...I could only hope and dream to have a 10 min mile !

I too am thinking it will be warm for the PHM. I am somewhat happy our weather in San Antonio is similar to Orlando so I can practice my sweating
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #1959
DeerIsleDisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post
Weds we got 6-8 inches of snow. Last night we got 2 more. And, it's NEGATIVE 2 out. Do I suck it up and run 9 in the snow/ice/frigid cold? Do I do 5 on the treadmill? No way I can do 9 on there.

Plan calls for
Feb 8: 9 miles
Feb 15: 10 miles

Thoughts?
I live in the northeast and thought I would never be able to do longer than 4-5 miles on the treadmill. Fear of slipping on the ice kept me inside, however, and this week I did a 9-miler on the treadmill. Podcasts, music, TV,....whatever it takes to keep you going. I felt like I got into a groove around 6 miles. Hoping to get a 10-miler in outside tomorrow.... but we're expecting more snow.

Quote:
Great run! 70s is going to be a shock to the system... but I'm hoping those of us from cooler climes will just enjoy soaking up all that sun and heat and gain new energy for the run.
OKW - May 2011 Star Wars Weekends
OKW, Treehouse Villa - Dec/Jan 2012
Disneyland 1/2 Marathon - Sep 2012
Princess Half Marathon, Beach Club - Feb 2013
OKW - April 2013
Disney Fantasy/Dolphin - August 2013
Thanksgiving 2013 at OKW
Christmas-New Year's 2013/14 at Boardwalk
Old 02-02-2013, 07:42 PM   #1960
indygirl99
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I too am thinking it will be warm for the PHM. I am somewhat happy our weather in San Antonio is similar to Orlando so I can practice my sweating
Glisening. Princess Glisen. Sweating is for the guys.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #1961
TXAng
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Way to go!

Quote:

Me, too! I'm in Austin, so it won't be much of a weather change to run in Florida.

Old 02-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #1962
longhorns2
DIS Veteran

Hang in there Sarah! Rest and chill. You have the training and can run this thing- so for the next 3 weeks just relax! Hope you feel better!

I'm also predicting warm. And no matter how warm it really is, the folks at home are going to hear that it was horridly warm so I can blame my lack of PR time on that. It's really going to be blamed on the picture stops!!! I cant wait!

Mother runner blogger who loves Disney & family. Working on leading My No-Guilt Life- letting go of the guilt and finding other things to hold on to.

Join me in my DietBet starting July 14!

My No-Guilt Life
Old 02-02-2013, 08:01 PM   #1963
princessmeghan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvdiscruises View Post
I'd try to get in 7-8 on the treadmill...maybe do 3-4 in two batches today? Personally I can't function in those temps, so wouldn't have a choice! Do one now then take a break and do it again when you can...
Good luck however you decide!
Quote:
Being a TX gal I would say find a treadmill inside and get your body use to higher temps. If you look at Orlando temps for the next few days the lows are 50's and the high's upper 70's. Weather could change for the PHM but I will bet it is not going to be 30's. Been unusually warm in San Antonio so I hope I will be well prepared for the race.

A good question for other northern princesses is did you do more training inside to get use to higher temps or run outside in the cold ?

Agree with Joan's earlier post...REST ! I remember reading your posts here and believe you are sooooo prepared and a little rest will give your body a chance to rest and recover. I remember my running coach telling me lots of people get sick and injured before a big race as your body is tired. I'm just starting to get back to training after a super bad cold and it is slow with LOTS of walking but my body is doing okay after a week of rest.

Sending pixie dust and prayers your way !
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeerIsleDisney View Post
I live in the northeast and thought I would never be able to do longer than 4-5 miles on the treadmill. Fear of slipping on the ice kept me inside, however, and this week I did a 9-miler on the treadmill. Podcasts, music, TV,....whatever it takes to keep you going. I felt like I got into a groove around 6 miles. Hoping to get a 10-miler in outside tomorrow.... but we're expecting more snow.

Great run! 70s is going to be a shock to the system... but I'm hoping those of us from cooler climes will just enjoy soaking up all that sun and heat and gain new energy for the run.
Thanks for the advise ladies! I had to call DH at 7.5 miles to come pick me up. I was so cold and numb and in pain. Finished outside at 7.75, and went straight to the treadmill. Got to 10, then did a mostly walk with a little run to 11, and ended at about 11.25 total between outside and inside.

I know technically I had a. 10 min break between outside and inside, but I'm still counting it as 1 run. Is that cheating?
Old 02-02-2013, 08:35 PM   #1964
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorns2 View Post
Hang in there Sarah! Rest and chill. You have the training and can run this thing- so for the next 3 weeks just relax! Hope you feel better!

I'm also predicting warm. And no matter how warm it really is, the folks at home are going to hear that it was horridly warm so I can blame my lack of PR time on that. It's really going to be blamed on the picture stops!!! I cant wait!
Thanks Patty. I'm trying to just lay low but I'm a mom and its hard! Plus I'm stressing and I want to go to Disneyworld NOW!!!!

Quote:
Thanks for the advise ladies! I had to call DH at 7.5 miles to come pick me up. I was so cold and numb and in pain. Finished outside at 7.75, and went straight to the treadmill. Got to 10, then did a mostly walk with a little run to 11, and ended at about 11.25 total between outside and inside.

I know technically I had a. 10 min break between outside and inside, but I'm still counting it as 1 run. Is that cheating?
Not cheating at all! You did it! That 10 mins may have been a bathroom break or a character picture stop. Just because it was a quick change from outside to inside doesn't mean you didn't do it! Congrats, that's a great run!

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 02-02-2013, 08:38 PM   #1965
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Totally not cheating. I can't remember where I read it (probably either runner's world or The First 20 Minutes by Gretchen Reynolds), but I read that you can even have hours between parts of a long run and if it all occurs on the same day you will still make roughly the same endurance gains.

10 miles for me today in 25F weather. I did the exact same route I did last week, and my time was only a few minutes different, but I felt much better. I was really beat from traveling last week, and today was definitely a workout, but I didn't spend most of it wishing it was over. I even did a little pickup at the end, which is made easier by a big downhill at the start of the last mile (the first half is a long slow uphill). Coach says next week is long too. I did 22 miles this week, plus 2 hours on the stairmaster. I'm feeling that good peak training fatigue.

Happy training everybody. Now gimme my waiver!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: