Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #1936
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKateNicole View Post
Hi everyone! I have been a super creeper stalking this thread for a few months now, but I have yet to post anything. A little over a year ago, I decided to start running so I could run the princess half! I am not a natural runner by any means and I am slowly learning to love running (and I've also learned to really hate it sometimes ) I am a nursing student so my schedule is jam packed and I'm usually really busy. I guess I came here searching for some support from you lovely ladies. This morning I woke up before dawn to go after my 9 miler (my training plan has me going up to 10), I drove all the way to my route then chickened out because of the roadways being poorly lit and I didn't feel safe. Instead of just picking another safer route I felt discouraged and came home. Now I feel so frustrated with myself, I think I was just looking for any excuse to back out. Am I the only one who gets terrified before a personal distance record run? Sorry for this long rant, I have no running friends and I needed to vent to someone
So sorry you chickened out, but running in the dark is scary for most. You can still get a good run in if you have the time. Don't think about "how long" it will be. Break it down, take each mile at a time or think of it as first 5k done, second 5k done etc. Taking time to think about a special person in your life each mile is another distraction. Look around for things in nature that you may not have noticed before and think of how blessed you are to be able to be out running/walking. Enjoy your time alone with yourself and have fun.

Old 02-02-2013, 11:30 AM   #1937
JoyaDelMar
Mouseketeer

Welcome PrincessKateNicole. Congrats on your journey so far. And please, please don't be discouraged because of one day. Look how far you come since you firs started months ago instead.

Honestly, your post couldn't have come at a better time. I have a crazy weekend and wanted to get my 12 miler in before the snow tomorrow so I woke up *super* early to get it in this morning - which is really out of character for me. Well after some rough miles, I was doing great and decided around mile 8 to take a new route home. Well I started to get a bit lost and went to check my phone - which promptly died I estimate I walked another mile or two out of my way until I found a subway to take home.

Needless to say, I was feeling unhappy about my phone and not having completed the mileage and getting scared about being lost - and decided to come to th DIS for support. But you reminded me that maybe I ought to take a dose o my own medicine. One rough day isn't going to and shouldn't define us. We've all put in a lot more training than that and im sure that's what important come the 24th best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Upcoming in 2013: 5th Anniversary Princess Half Marathon // 2012: WDW Trip - First Time on the Dining Plan, DCL Dream 3-Night Bahamas February 9, TLCC Post-Conference Trip to Disneyland, DCL Fantasy 7-Night Eastern Caribbean September 8 // 2011: TLCC Conference @ Bonnet Creek, DCL Magic 7-Night Western Caribbean October 1 (Anniversary Trip!) // 2010: Birthday Trip to MK and HS // 2009: DCL Wonder 3-Night February 12, Christmas Eve in Hollywood // 2008: Spring Break 08 - Pirate and Princess Party // 2007: Scurvy in the New Year, CM Surprise, Best Friend Park Hopping, Holidays Around The World // 2006: BF's Pop Century, Spring Break 06 - Mead Summer Sizzler, Family Xmas @ DD // 2005: BF's August Album // 2000 - 2004: Park Hopping with Sophie (x10), Weekends with the Family (x4) // 1997 - 2000: Youth Group Retreat @ WDW, Night of Joy 1999, FW Camping with Friends // 1992 - 1997: Weekends with the Family (x6), Dad's Kingdom '96, // 1992: 1st Trip to WDW! // 1989: 1st Trip to Disneyland!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #1938
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
This morning I woke up before dawn to go after my 9 miler (my training plan has me going up to 10), I drove all the way to my route then chickened out because of the roadways being poorly lit and I didn't feel safe. Instead of just picking another safer route I felt discouraged and came home. Now I feel so frustrated with myself, I think I was just looking for any excuse to back out. Am I the only one who gets terrified before a personal distance record run? Sorry for this long rant, I have no running friends and I needed to vent to someone
Never ever doubt your Spidey Sense when it comes to safety. You did the right thing. Maybe you were feeling apprehensive about the distance, but if you ever feel that nagging sense that something's not right and not safe...don't do it. You just need to figure out how to get the long run into your schedule now. Don't worry about being off a day or two. That won't make a difference. You will do this.

And we'll be with you to run in the dark on Feb 24!!!
Old 02-02-2013, 11:43 AM   #1939
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Hi everyone! I have been a super creeper stalking this thread for a few months now, but I have yet to post anything. A little over a year ago, I decided to start running so I could run the princess half! I am not a natural runner by any means and I am slowly learning to love running (and I've also learned to really hate it sometimes ) I am a nursing student so my schedule is jam packed and I'm usually really busy. I guess I came here searching for some support from you lovely ladies. This morning I woke up before dawn to go after my 9 miler (my training plan has me going up to 10), I drove all the way to my route then chickened out because of the roadways being poorly lit and I didn't feel safe. Instead of just picking another safer route I felt discouraged and came home. Now I feel so frustrated with myself, I think I was just looking for any excuse to back out. Am I the only one who gets terrified before a personal distance record run? Sorry for this long rant, I have no running friends and I needed to vent to someone
Welcome to the thread ! Don't feel bad about missing a run. Regroup and try again tomorrow. I missed a whole week because of a bad cold and went out yesterday and had a mediocre walk/run. I also am not a runner and actually walk more than run. My training plan also takes me up to 10 which I have done so now I am really just getting through my maintenance runs for the next three weeks until PHM. This is a great place to rant and there are soooo many supportive people. Hang in there it is almost over !
Old 02-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #1940
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKateNicole
Welcome! The group of folks on here have been a lifesaver to me. I have no running friends, either but my co-workers are supportive. If you read through the pages, you will see that we all have our running stories to tell. Feel free to come and vent, I sure have!

Cindy

[url=http://distickers.com/ticker/][/url

Last edited by sunnygal041; 02-02-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:07 PM   #1941
princessmeghan
Earning My Ears

Weds we got 6-8 inches of snow. Last night we got 2 more. And, it's NEGATIVE 2 out. Do I suck it up and run 9 in the snow/ice/frigid cold? Do I do 5 on the treadmill? No way I can do 9 on there.

Plan calls for
Feb 8: 9 miles
Feb 15: 10 miles

Thoughts?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #1942
iluvdiscruises
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan
Weds we got 6-8 inches of snow. Last night we got 2 more. And, it's NEGATIVE 2 out. Do I suck it up and run 9 in the snow/ice/frigid cold? Do I do 5 on the treadmill? No way I can do 9 on there.

Plan calls for

Thoughts?
I'd try to get in 7-8 on the treadmill...maybe do 3-4 in two batches today? Personally I can't function in those temps, so wouldn't have a choice! Do one now then take a break and do it again when you can...
Good luck however you decide!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 PM   #1943
kindakrazy2
DIS Veteran

OKay princesses - I'm begging you all to send some pixie dust my way.

I'm sick. Seriously sick. I've got a sinus infection, strep and my doc thinks I have pneumonia as well.

I've been down for almost 2 weeks now - got sick almost as soon as I got home from Tink so haven't run further then 5kms since then and not at all in the last week. Probably won't be able to for another week either.

HELP!

Any ideas what to do?

My 2011 DLR pre-trippie

My 2007 WDW pre-trippie is all grown up - its a trippie now!

July 1994 - Disneymoon at Dixie Landings Feb 1996 - Dixie Landings October 1999 - Belle's first trip Dixie Landings Feb 2001 - Tink's first trip Dixie Landings Sept 2007 - POP with free dining! Dec 2008 - POP July 2011 - Disneyland! Jan 2012 - POP

Up next - Tink 1/2 marathon and Princess 1/2 marathon Coast2Coast baby! Uh oh - Dumbo Double Dare
Old 02-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #1944
PrincessKateNicole
Earning My Ears

Thank you all so much for your kind words! I know it's not the end of the world I'm just busy lately and I'm sure we all are, plus I hate to "waste" early mornings when I could have had an extra hour or so of precious sleep!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 PM   #1945
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2 View Post

I'm sick. Seriously sick. I've got a sinus infection, strep and my doc thinks I have pneumonia as well.

I've been down for almost 2 weeks now - got sick almost as soon as I got home from Tink so haven't run further then 5kms since then and not at all in the last week. Probably won't be able to for another week either.

HELP!

Any ideas what to do?
Hi there. I am sooo sorry you are sick. I can only offer this: everyone in my office has been sick, except for me. I have been drinking 100% grape juice like crazy, drinking green tea and taking Zycam.

Cindy
Old 02-02-2013, 01:35 PM   #1946
sunnygal041
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Thank you all so much for your kind words! I know it's not the end of the world I'm just busy lately and I'm sure we all are, plus I hate to "waste" early mornings when I could have had an extra hour or so of precious sleep!
Hmmmm, do you NEED to sleep or just WANT to?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:45 PM   #1947
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
That sounds so tempting but I know my head would explode if I tried to do 10 on a TM. It's still under 20F this morning so I'm sipping espresso and waiting for it to get closer to the predicted high of 31F. At least it's sunny and not terribly windy. Last week my 10 in sub-freezing weather was kind of miserable. Let's see if I can tweak my attitude today. At least the crazy thaw and rain we had this week (the latter of which I got caught in on a run) cleared away some of the snow and ice!

Happy long runs, princesses!
Sounds like my run this AM. I think it was 16F, but I wanted to get it done for the day. Luckily, I met a friend halfway thru and had some company and then had DD & DH pick me up for breakfast!
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #1948
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:

HELP!

Any ideas what to do?
Yes. Take a deep breath. I had gotten very ill 3 weeks before the 2011 Princess. You have just done a half so you know you can do it. First you must get healthy. You should be on antibiotics for the infection and not running. If it is nice out, go for a short walk for some fresh air and dress for whatever weather you have. I missed my last long run that year and then had two 4-5 mile runs the last week and finished fine.

Here's the thing, my doctor thought it was just a viral thing so I should rest and I did. Really I felt so bad the day before my DH said we were going to the doctor, I honestly thought I would die. I could barley get myself up out of the bed and or even have the energy to take a breath. I was sick. The day before the half(Saturday), I got very ill (TMI, vomiting bad) and was in bed all afternoon and evening and ate an oatmeal cookie for dinner and some soda. And my DD showed up Friday night also sick and my other DD arrived and had had a horrible breakup two days earlier. Yes, we were a mess. Anyway, turns out I had strep, which I found out two weeks after the race when I just couldn't recover...just tired, slept alot, wasn't eating.

Hope you get to feeling better very soon.

Old 02-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #1949
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:

HELP!

Any ideas what to do?
I hope you feel better fast.
I would not worry about the princess, you have already done the miles. Just rest up so your better.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #1950
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post

Plan calls for

Thoughts?
Being a TX gal I would say find a treadmill inside and get your body use to higher temps. If you look at Orlando temps for the next few days the lows are 50's and the high's upper 70's. Weather could change for the PHM but I will bet it is not going to be 30's. Been unusually warm in San Antonio so I hope I will be well prepared for the race.

A good question for other northern princesses is did you do more training inside to get use to higher temps or run outside in the cold ?

Quote:

HELP!

Any ideas what to do?
Agree with Joan's earlier post...REST ! I remember reading your posts here and believe you are sooooo prepared and a little rest will give your body a chance to rest and recover. I remember my running coach telling me lots of people get sick and injured before a big race as your body is tired. I'm just starting to get back to training after a super bad cold and it is slow with LOTS of walking but my body is doing okay after a week of rest.

Sending pixie dust and prayers your way !
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: