Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #1891
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

Update on my front. Went in to have my feet looked at. Will be going to a podiatrist tomorrow to hopefully start the testing process of getting me those arch supports I need. Hopefully by the end of the month I will have more comfortable feet before I begin trekking around Disney World.

On another note the doctor has me on a PT regiment now. Looking back I probably should have had some sessions right after the injury back in March of '11 but I didn't so that's life. I had my first session today and I like her. Unfortunately I had to schedule my pre-Princess PT session with someone else since she is working on days I either have a) tests or b) am flying. But she seems good.

I discovered a couple of things during the session. One that my ankle is still partly swollen now almost two weeks after the race (and that's with no running, I was sick all of last week and I have been really tired this week). And two my left ankle has a really limited range of motion. No seriously it does. When I was doing several of the exercises I was amazed at how much more I could move my right foot vs my left foot.

She wasn't exactly happy when I told her I was doing the Princess midway through the sessions. Or at least she didn't appear that happy. She didn't say anything more had a 'Are you kidding me?' face. She seemed to accept it and get happier after I told her that the Princess was my last half until at least summer (which is true!).

Got a new brace too that hopefully won't a) cause blisters or b) cause my skin to rub a bit raw in some places from the Velcro. My previous problems led to the unsuccessful KT-Tape experiment during the Tink. KT-tape worked great during the race but as soon as I stopped it got fairly bad again. So back to the braces. This seems like it won't cause me problems at least.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013-2014, Wine and Dine 2013-2014, Avengers 2014, Disneyland 5k 2012 & 2014, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2014, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, Innovation Run 5k 2014, Grand Prix of Running 10k, LA Quarter Marathon 2014, Wounded Warriors Half Marathon, and other races I am missing off the top of my head
Old 01-31-2013, 11:52 PM   #1892
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Jodi--great writeup! So cool!

Cripey--that stinks about the don't run advice. It's good that the support is there either way, but you might want to get another opinion from a chiro who is a runner. I know there are some medical folks who think running is just bad (and the science doesn't really seem to suppor that). In any event, I'm glad you're a go on the Princess.

Now let's see those corrals!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-01-2013, 12:40 AM   #1893
Orcagirl
Earning My Ears

Question for past Princess runners: do you recall the order of character photo ops along the course?

From reading various blogs and race recaps, I've got a rough idea of which characters typically show up where, but curious if anyone's already put together a list of expected photo ops by (approximate) mile.

Of course, it's no guarantee that everything will be the same this year...

Thanks!
Old 02-01-2013, 01:18 AM   #1894
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
You guys are cracking me up with the nightmares! @Tabetha, thanks for the mascara tip. I remember you from last year--love your blog!

(ETA: drat, looks like it's only available in Canada. I suppose that happens to Canadians all the time so I shouldn't complain. )
Aw nuts! It does indeed happen to us Canadians all the time, but I feel cruel for waving the magic mascara wand, only to snatch it away...

I wish I was coming down for the Princess, I'd bring some down!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #1895
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcagirl View Post
Question for past Princess runners: do you recall the order of character photo ops along the course?

From reading various blogs and race recaps, I've got a rough idea of which characters typically show up where, but curious if anyone's already put together a list of expected photo ops by (approximate) mile.

Thanks!
The first three years was basically the same, but last year there was a big change up. They may be some info at the expo on the location of characters

Old 02-01-2013, 07:15 AM   #1896
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcagirl View Post

Thanks!
This is from last year:
Old 02-01-2013, 07:38 AM   #1897
yulilin3
Disney Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
This is from last year:
Thank you for posting. Was this in the Race Program or just posted at the Expo?
Old 02-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #1898
tinkeramy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yulilin3 View Post
Thank you for posting. Was this in the Race Program or just posted at the Expo?
The character list was posted at the RunDisney booth at the expo.

Ladies, we are FINALLY getting a treadmill! Just looking for some opinions. We don't need anything fancy - complicated computer programs, et cetera. I would just like something with some hill training programs and where I can possibly plug in my intervals - usually 5/1. Most definitely under $1,000! Any recommendations? Two of the mills that Consumer Reports recs are ProForm Performance 600 and the Sole F63. Any thoughts?

July 1986 - offsite, Feb. 2000 - offsite, Jan. 2003 - offsite
Feb. 2008 - Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Feb. 2011 - Princess Half - WDW Swan, Feb. 2012 - Princess Half - POFQ, Aug. 2012 - Disney Dream, Feb. 2013 - POR
Old 02-01-2013, 08:53 AM   #1899
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryhndmom View Post
Maybe all us princesses with health issues who need to heal after the race should got to Disney's Aulani in Hawaii to rest up...just saying'
Oh, wouldn't that be so nice?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkeramy View Post
Ladies, we are FINALLY getting a treadmill! Just looking for some opinions. We don't need anything fancy - complicated computer programs, et cetera. I would just like something with some hill training programs and where I can possibly plug in my intervals - usually 5/1. Most definitely under $1,000! Any recommendations? Two of the mills that Consumer Reports recs are ProForm Performance 600 and the Sole F63. Any thoughts?
I have an almost 15-year-old ProForm that I'm sure they don't even make anymore - mine's highly untechnically sophisticated (a motor and two incline levels that have to be set manually), but I can vouch for its durability! My ex used it to train for triathlons, it's survived 3 moves with many stairs, and I've been using it several times a week since we got it with no problems. Are these things supposed to have tune-ups?! If so, I sure haven't done that, lol!

I run Disney!
Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015 ~ Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013, 2014, 2015 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012 ~ Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 AM   #1900
Princess Cherie
Earning My Ears

Single Runner thanks you!

Thanks for your help Sonnygal. I will look for it. New to boards so not sure how to navigate but will get there!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:29 AM   #1901
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Cripey--that stinks about the don't run advice. It's good that the support is there either way, but you might want to get another opinion from a chiro who is a runner. I know there are some medical folks who think running is just bad (and the science doesn't really seem to suppor that). In any event, I'm glad you're a go on the Princess.
Well, that's the thing, she was an athlete...and my trainer has been going to her for a long time because of that and she did mention to me in my appointment that she treats alot of athletes, so I got the impression from her that she is in a mindset to get me back to being active...I guess I just need to clarify with her how active and in what form. I wrote down lots of questions for my appointment this afternoon, so I hope to have a better picture of what's going to happen. I'd really like to know what she thinks of me aiming to run Tinker Bell again next January. I really didn't have any big runs on my list after PHM, but figured I'd do some 5 and 10k's here and there until it was time to train for Tink again. So, if she thinks Tink is do-able, I need to figure out what I can do safely to keep up some of my endurance...and really focus more on strength and cross-training during this running hiatus. I know my lack of cross-training lately (well, longer than just "lately" if I'm being honest) was a major contributor to all of this and I have to get back to that. Last year my bootcamp class had to go from 2 to 1 day a week and I could tell a big difference...then we went on a hiatus over the summer because there were so many schedule conflicts and not enough people were coming consistently. The idea was to keep it going on our own at home, the gym, etc. Good intentions, but I didn't.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:53 AM   #1902
JoyaDelMar
Mouseketeer

After the high reviews on this community and some recommendations from running friends, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a pair of CW-X compression pants. Well they arrived yesterday and I have I say I'm a bit overwhelmed!

I expected them to be small and require a bit to get on - but they're practically like spanx on me! They definitely felt great on my legs and I could see the craftsmanship/support. However the muffin top effect is a little less than comfortable (sorry if that's TMI).

For those ladies who also own them, do they stretch any ever? Is the muffin top indicative of needing a new size? They feel okay for the rest of the pant - really speedy in fact.

I have mixed feelings. I bought them with purple detailing in hopes that I could integrate them into my Rapunzel costume. But now I'm worried about the practicality of that idea for 13.1 miles. Maybe I ought to shoot for something more comfortable/loose?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Upcoming in 2013: 5th Anniversary Princess Half Marathon // 2012: WDW Trip - First Time on the Dining Plan, DCL Dream 3-Night Bahamas February 9, TLCC Post-Conference Trip to Disneyland, DCL Fantasy 7-Night Eastern Caribbean September 8 // 2011: TLCC Conference @ Bonnet Creek, DCL Magic 7-Night Western Caribbean October 1 (Anniversary Trip!) // 2010: Birthday Trip to MK and HS // 2009: DCL Wonder 3-Night February 12, Christmas Eve in Hollywood // 2008: Spring Break 08 - Pirate and Princess Party // 2007: Scurvy in the New Year, CM Surprise, Best Friend Park Hopping, Holidays Around The World // 2006: BF's Pop Century, Spring Break 06 - Mead Summer Sizzler, Family Xmas @ DD // 2005: BF's August Album // 2000 - 2004: Park Hopping with Sophie (x10), Weekends with the Family (x4) // 1997 - 2000: Youth Group Retreat @ WDW, Night of Joy 1999, FW Camping with Friends // 1992 - 1997: Weekends with the Family (x6), Dad's Kingdom '96, // 1992: 1st Trip to WDW! // 1989: 1st Trip to Disneyland!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #1903
reagansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Well, that's the thing, she was an athlete...and my trainer has been going to her for a long time because of that and she did mention to me in my appointment that she treats alot of athletes, so I got the impression from her that she is in a mindset to get me back to being active...I guess I just need to clarify with her how active and in what form. I wrote down lots of questions for my appointment this afternoon, so I hope to have a better picture of what's going to happen. I'd really like to know what she thinks of me aiming to run Tinker Bell again next January. I really didn't have any big runs on my list after PHM, but figured I'd do some 5 and 10k's here and there until it was time to train for Tink again. So, if she thinks Tink is do-able, I need to figure out what I can do safely to keep up some of my endurance...and really focus more on strength and cross-training during this running hiatus. I know my lack of cross-training lately (well, longer than just "lately" if I'm being honest) was a major contributor to all of this and I have to get back to that. Last year my bootcamp class had to go from 2 to 1 day a week and I could tell a big difference...then we went on a hiatus over the summer because there were so many schedule conflicts and not enough people were coming consistently. The idea was to keep it going on our own at home, the gym, etc. Good intentions, but I didn't.
Good luck with everything. Is there somewhere you can do underwater running?
Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #1904
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
That makes sense. So maybe it's less a "stop running" message and more a "dial back the focused race training and do more cross training and strength work to address body mechanics and muscle balance so you can return to your next event with gorgeous form and smokin' speed" message! I like that one better.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:44 AM   #1905
Orcagirl
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonFaerie View Post
This is from last year:
Thank you! That's perfect for giving me a sense of how to space out stopping for some (but not all) characters -- partly to give my husband a chance to catch up to me...

And now I know to watch for this year's list at the Expo. I was going to just drop in for race bibs and get out again so we could high-tail it to the parks.

Cheers!

Erin
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: