Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 09:11 PM   #166
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Thanks so much! This is very helpful. I think Dirty Girl is going to be a great fit. My friend is coming back from chronic illness and very low fitness, and she doesn't feel ready to do even Warrior Dash, since the one near us involves going up a mountain. I bet she could do it, but she's working with a trainer so I'm going to defer to the trainer's advice. Dirty Girl looks perfect and there's one near us! I'm going to send it to her. (She'll like the name too, LOL.)
You guys will have fun! There were women of all different types, sizes and abilities there. It isn't timed so there is no need to knock yourself out during the running portions. And almost all of the obstacles have alternatives (or you can bypass it). And like any race, you get caught up in the excitement and feel the awesome all around you! You're going to love it and I bet you get addicted too.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:36 PM   #167
princessmeghan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
I run outside all winter in New England. Admittedly, I've only been running over one very mild winter, but I've been out in snow, ice, and weather down to 5F. It's the same as everything else: no bad weather, only bad clothes/gear. I have gore-tex sneakers (nike), flocked running tights, a windproof jacket with pit zips (lurve the pit zips), wool socks, and for ice, yaktrax (basically studded snow tires that you pull on over your shoes). A good hat with a ponytail hole and some gloves and I'm good to go. Actually, I usually run after work so add on the knuckle lights and reflective vest. I look COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS but I'm comfortable and safe so it's all good. I was inspired by a coworker who is a super-fast triathlete who told me she runs outside year round. It can be done if you stock up on the right gear. Sierra Trading Post has gotten a lot of my money.

Cate
Thanks for all the responses. I cant figure out how to quote multiple people (on my ipad). I'm not too concerned about cold. I wear tshirts and capris running when it's 35 still. Maybe a LNG sleeve shirt if ts super windy. I have super awesome tights ready though from UA. I just don't want to slip and die.

Do the yaktrax affect your running at all? I might try those. I'm worried they would screw with my form or something?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #168
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda
Hey, quick question... what time are you all planning dinner the night before the race? Is 6:30 too early?
I don't think that's too early at all. I was actually thinking of eating earlier. I plan to be in bed as early as possible.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:49 PM   #169
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
I don't think that's too early at all. I was actually thinking of eating earlier. I plan to be in bed as early as possible.
Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #170
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Thought I would share... went to register my dd for the kids races. I knew that it wasn't near full so I figured there was time. However, if it is important to any of you that your childs name is on their bib.. .the deadline is 12/1.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #171
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Hey, quick question... what time are you all planning dinner the night before the race? Is 6:30 too early?
No def not. We ate last year at 5:30, flying fish. We have the same ressie this year!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 11-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #172
poohbear8
DIS Veteran

Please add me to the list.

I'm still not cleared to run, but I did a mile on the treadmill yesterday and there was no heel pain or bunion pain! I decided not to push it and ended after I got the mile in since my chest felt like I was getting sick. I did up the ratio to run 2/walk 1, which was challenging. I have a long way to go in the next 90 days!
Old 11-27-2012, 10:05 PM   #173
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherPrincess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
No def not. We ate last year at 5:30, flying fish. We have the same ressie this year!
I made 4:45 reservations! I want to be in bed by 8 or 9pm if I need to be up and out the door by like 3am. The only GOOD news is that we fly in on the very first flight Friday morning so we need to be at the airport at 5am CST Friday. We'll be tired (hopefully) that night and get to bed early because we need to be at Epcot for the 5K at 6am (or sooner maybe?) Saturday. So I am hoping we'll be tired enough to get to bed early again Saturday to be up for Sunday and then work back to a regular schedule for the rest of the week.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #174
IMGONNABE40!
Okay, I already am 40, but if I were to change my name, how would you know it was me?
Proud owner of a six foot giraffe
Don't be a Doofus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmarieda View Post
I hope to be done with dinner by then and off to my hotel for pre race routine and relaxation.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:22 PM   #175
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post
Thanks for all the responses. I cant figure out how to quote multiple people (on my ipad). I'm not too concerned about cold. I wear tshirts and capris running when it's 35 still. Maybe a LNG sleeve shirt if ts super windy. I have super awesome tights ready though from UA. I just don't want to slip and die.

Do the yaktrax affect your running at all? I might try those. I'm worried they would screw with my form or something?
I wouldn't say they make a big difference in my form, but they're not my favorite thing in the world. I'd say my form is affected more when running in icy conditions because I'm more tentative. And even worse on the treadmill, where I'm always about to fly off the back. *shudder* Yaktrax are pretty cheap, so it's worth a try. You can also hack some old shoes: http://www.gobroncobilly.com/?p=40 I haven't tried that, but it looks like a cool option.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #176
TiggerAllie
DIS Veteran

I ran outside all winter last year, and plan to do so again this year (Boston, MA). I don't have access to a treadmill or gym.

The right clothes are definitely a necessity! I second the lululemon gear! I haven't needed to worry about icy sidewalks yet-- fingers crossed that they won't be a problem this year! What I have now is good down to about 15-20 oF (based on my experiments) so we'll see how this season goes. Weeknight runs have to be in the evening, but I try to do my long weekend runs during the warmest part of either Sat or Sun.
Past Trips: (WDW) 12/13 BLT MVMCP, 10/13 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 5/13 AKL, 3/13 VWL F&G, 2/13 BCV PHM, 9/12 BWV TOTTM MNNSHP F&W, 3/12 SSR F&G, 2/12 BCV PHM, 10/11 CSR MNSSHP F&W, 3/11 AKVJ F&G, 10/10 Poly F&W MNSSHP, 12/09 SSR NYE, 10/09 VWL/WL F&W MNSSHP (PreTrip Report), 3/09 SSR, 10/08 SSR MNSSHP F&W, 6/08 SSR SWW, 11/07 VWL F&W MNSSHP, 6/07 SSR SWW, 12/06 WL/Poly MVMCP, 10/06 AKL MNSSHP, 8/06 BC USSSA-WS, 10/05 CSR MNSSHP Wilma, 2/05 ASSp, 6/03 offsite, 8/02 ASMu; (DL) 8/13 DGC DDD!, 8/12 DGC DLHM, 5/05 DLH, 6/02 offsite; (DCL, etc.) 8/13 Dream 4day-3day B2B & BLT, 1/13 Fantasy WC DFTW & BWV/BLT, 8/12 Wonder AK, 5/12 Dream 3day & BLT, 1/12 Wonder MR, 8/11 Dream Double-Dip & VBR, 1/11 Magic WC & CR; (DLP) 5/08 offsite
Childhood trips: (Me) 12/95 offsite, 5/87 offsite, 4/80 DL offsite; (DP) 7/90 GF, 4/88 CR, 11/80 offsite
Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 AM   #177
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
I made 4:45 reservations! I want to be in bed by 8 or 9pm if I need to be up and out the door by like 3am. The only GOOD news is that we fly in on the very first flight Friday morning so we need to be at the airport at 5am CST Friday. We'll be tired (hopefully) that night and get to bed early because we need to be at Epcot for the 5K at 6am (or sooner maybe?) Saturday. So I am hoping we'll be tired enough to get to bed early again Saturday to be up for Sunday and then work back to a regular schedule for the rest of the week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMGONNABE40! View Post
I hope to be done with dinner by then and off to my hotel for pre race routine and relaxation.
now I wonder if it isn't too late rather than too early. I had not considered what time I want to be to bed. (will I be able to sleep?) I was just worried about eating close enough, but not too far from race time (even though, yes I will eat a light breakfast in the am)
Old 11-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #178
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
It's for my lazy butt. I went to a PT because I assumed it was IT band problems. My knee was where I really felt the pain but it seemed likely to be IT band related. He did a screening and sent me to an ortho for a script. The ortho did X-rays and an exam and everything and they both agree that I have an imbalance in my kinetic chain as a result of over-developed quads and calves which are allowing my glutes to slack off. I have a medically diagnosed lazy bottom!!!!

PT 2-3 times a week, a vdeo gait analysis after a month to see if it's helping and then we go from there. I think it's helping but I feel frumpy because I'm not allowed to run. I still go to my pole class once a week but running was my major exercise. He said I can swim or ride a bike but I don't do either of those.
Wow I never knew that could be an issue. I better get my butt moving. I am glad you have an answer to your pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky4disney View Post
Here is a video of some great exercises to help strengthen the glutes. I definitely overcompensate for my lazy glutes with my abductors as well, and these exercises have helped me a lot.

http://www.runnerspace.com/video.php...&video_id=8190
Thank you for the video
Old 11-28-2012, 06:23 AM   #179
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:

now I wonder if it isn't too late rather than too early. I had not considered what time I want to be to bed. (will I be able to sleep?) I was just worried about eating close enough, but not too far from race time (even though, yes I will eat a light breakfast in the am)
My running coach says last big meal should be 12 hours before the race if it's a morning race. Of course, still eat your regular pre morning run breakfast.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #180
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:

My goal was to be in bed by 8-8:30 pm, which I was. Being my first race ever I could barely sleep. I did manage to get some rest. I was in corral G so I wasn't in a massive rush to get to the start too early. I was on a bus from POR by 4 am as recommended. It was perfect timing. The shuffle to corrals took legit 35 mins, maybe more.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: