Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:06 AM   #1711
Mamasmurf227
Mouseketeer

Hmm... starting to panic about costumes. I really hadn't thought about it much. At first I was absolutely planning on a costume, then decided I probably wouldn't, but now... well.... I want to again.

The problem is, I can't decide on a princess.

Had a decent 7 mile run yesterday. Wasn't great, but I got it done. I know I'm not really where I wanted to be training wise for this race, but I know I'll be fine. My hubby, on the other hand, is WAY behind in his training and having a fair amount of pain in his left leg (shin & ankle).

We talked about him trying KT tape, but he doesn't want to shave his leg.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:36 AM   #1712
Cripey
DIS Veteran

PrincessV (and anyone else that might have any input from experience...) do I remember you saying a while back that you started seeing a chiro for some of your issues and that it helped tremendously? Do you mind if I ask what sort of things they are doing for you? I've had this new back issue crop up and a hip problem that I've had for what seems like forever and my trainer referred me to hers...I have an appointment on Wednesday. This back issue just cropped up during the Tink race and literally had me in tears post race, walking back to the shuttles...they are REALLY FAR from the finish at DL...and seems like even further when you're hurting. Anyway, my trainer said she wouldn't normally want someone to do something different this close to a race day, but if it was giving me that much trouble she's afraid it may sieze up on me during PHM so wants me getting some sort of treatment ASAP for the next few weeks. I'm just sort of curious what sorts of things they have done for you, if you didn't mind sharing?

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #1713
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMyMoos

Good to know! I have contacts but rarely wear them. I am planning to for the race, so I'll make sure the pack sunglasses.
I wear contacts for the bi focal. Otherwise I can't read my garmin

Last edited by MRS AR; 01-28-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM   #1714
Danhockey04
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamasmurf227 View Post
Hmm... starting to panic about costumes. I really hadn't thought about it much. At first I was absolutely planning on a costume, then decided I probably wouldn't, but now... well.... I want to again.

The problem is, I can't decide on a princess.

Had a decent 7 mile run yesterday. Wasn't great, but I got it done. I know I'm not really where I wanted to be training wise for this race, but I know I'll be fine. My hubby, on the other hand, is WAY behind in his training and having a fair amount of pain in his left leg (shin & ankle).

We talked about him trying KT tape, but he doesn't want to shave his leg.
Typically in the past, I think Snow White is the most seen costume of all Disney Princesses. I don't see many Tiana, Jasmine or Rapunzel, though that may probably change.

Also, there is nothing wrong with shaving legs, a lot of male runners do it, I do it. I do it to allow my skin to let the body cool itself easier without the hair trying to insulate it, it may be a minimal effect, but in the long run, it could help just a bit.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:30 PM   #1715
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
PrincessV (and anyone else that might have any input from experience...) do I remember you saying a while back that you started seeing a chiro for some of your issues and that it helped tremendously? Do you mind if I ask what sort of things they are doing for you? I've had this new back issue crop up and a hip problem that I've had for what seems like forever and my trainer referred me to hers...I have an appointment on Wednesday. This back issue just cropped up during the Tink race and literally had me in tears post race, walking back to the shuttles...they are REALLY FAR from the finish at DL...and seems like even further when you're hurting. Anyway, my trainer said she wouldn't normally want someone to do something different this close to a race day, but if it was giving me that much trouble she's afraid it may sieze up on me during PHM so wants me getting some sort of treatment ASAP for the next few weeks. I'm just sort of curious what sorts of things they have done for you, if you didn't mind sharing?
Yes I did, and don't mind sharing at all! Just know that I'm not versed in technical chiro speak, so bear with me, lol!

I've mostly been going for my ITBS, so she hasn't done much for my back, specifically. But my hips tend to get out of alignment, so she checks that and often adjusts my lower back like this. Doesn't hurt at all and feels great.

For my ITBS, I lie on my opposite side, legs stretched long. While she digs into whatever spot she feels needs it in my hip and outer thigh of my top leg, I bend it until my toes are at the other knee, then slowly twist that leg down to the floor. Hurts a bunch, but might be the #1 thing working.

She also uses a massager that reminds me of the handheld machine one would use to power wax a car to help release muscles wherever it's needed.

To also relax muscles and to speed healing/reduce inflammation, she uses electric stimulation. Feels like a buzzer wherever the pads are placed and I can feel my muscles contracting over and over. Doesn't hurt, but it feels funny.

FYI, because all of these things move muscles in ways they may not be used to, I'm often a little sore for 24 hours after a treatment; I try not to make those running days. But I usually feel fantastic 24-48 hours later, always much improved!

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #1716
flatlandcycle
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGirl11 View Post
So its either try to pack it in my checked luggage or buy it at the expo if possible.
I pack Gatorade G Series Perform 02, powder packs. One mixes with 20 oz. of water. The Powerade in the bottles may have High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS); that can cause some unfortunate GI issues for some. The Powerade powder mix used during the race has sucrose, not HFCS.

(just an image, no endorsement)
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #1717
MRS AR
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by haleofafamily

I'm not sure if they have Gatorade at the Expo. A couple of other options would be shipping the gatorade to your resort or using Garden Grocer or We go Shop.
I'm planning on checking out the coolers on the refreshment venues at the airport.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:04 PM   #1718
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandcycle View Post
I pack Gatorade G Series Perform 02, powder packs. One mixes with 20 oz. of water. The Powerade in the bottles may have High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS); that can cause some unfortunate GI issues for some. The Powerade powder mix used during the race has sucrose, not HFCS.

This actually mixes better than one would expect. It would be nice if you had a fridge in the room so you could mix at a warmer temp then chill. You may also want to back off adding the entire package to assure that you do get a good mixing.

With regard to delivery services... it may actually be cheaper to hail a cab to the nearest 7-11 than to pay for 8 bottles plus the delivery charge.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
Old 01-28-2013, 02:10 PM   #1719
Cripey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Yes I did, and don't mind sharing at all! Just know that I'm not versed in technical chiro speak, so bear with me, lol!

I've mostly been going for my ITBS, so she hasn't done much for my back, specifically. But my hips tend to get out of alignment, so she checks that and often adjusts my lower back like this. Doesn't hurt at all and feels great.

For my ITBS, I lie on my opposite side, legs stretched long. While she digs into whatever spot she feels needs it in my hip and outer thigh of my top leg, I bend it until my toes are at the other knee, then slowly twist that leg down to the floor. Hurts a bunch, but might be the #1 thing working.

She also uses a massager that reminds me of the handheld machine one would use to power wax a car to help release muscles wherever it's needed.

To also relax muscles and to speed healing/reduce inflammation, she uses electric stimulation. Feels like a buzzer wherever the pads are placed and I can feel my muscles contracting over and over. Doesn't hurt, but it feels funny.

FYI, because all of these things move muscles in ways they may not be used to, I'm often a little sore for 24 hours after a treatment; I try not to make those running days. But I usually feel fantastic 24-48 hours later, always much improved!

Thanks for the helpful info! I've never been to a chiro and I'm sure I have archaic thoughts about it, but everytime I think about going I think of someone trying to twist and crack me all over and me walking out hunched over in more pain than I came in with The massage aspect of it that you described sounds like it really might be what I need. I get an all-over massage at least once a month, but I think this will be a nice addition. Thanks again!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:17 PM   #1720
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cripey View Post
Thanks for the helpful info! I've never been to a chiro and I'm sure I have archaic thoughts about it, but everytime I think about going I think of someone trying to twist and crack me all over and me walking out hunched over in more pain than I came in with The massage aspect of it that you described sounds like it really might be what I need. I get an all-over massage at least once a month, but I think this will be a nice addition. Thanks again!
My pleasure! I felt exactly the same "archaic" way, lol! It was total desperation that sent me to a chiro, but I'm so glad I went.

I forgot one other critical instrument she uses - reminds me of a little electric hammer, but I believe it's called an activator. It kind of taps a certain point super fast. I have no idea what it's actually doing, but it really seems to help when things feel out of whack! It bruises me in less fatty areas, but doesn't hurt at all.

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012
Old 01-28-2013, 02:30 PM   #1721
StarGirl11
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandcycle View Post

I may give that a try for my next run.

I might end up packing liquids though (mostly water) anyway. Just have to be careful.

On a completely different note do you guys know if you can buy APs at the front gate at DHS? It's looking like I maybe picking up a Premier Passport on this trip (between Tink (probably will be back for the 2014 race and if not that I will be at WDW for their race), Princess, and the DDD I will be ending up spending about that same amount on tickets anyway) so I just want to make sure I can do it before Dad gives the green light. Otherwise I am going to have change my Thursday plans.

Finished RunDisney Races: Princess 2012, Tinkerbell 2012-2014, Disneyland Half 2011-2012, Dumbo Double Dare 2013-2014, Wine and Dine 2013, Disneyland 5k 2012 & 2014, WDW 5k 2012
Finished Races: Nike Women's Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Half Marathon 2012, San Francisco Marathon 2011, Downhill at Dawn Half Marathon 2011, Santa Anita Derby 5k 2011-2014, Golden Gallop 10k 2013, Surf City 10k 2013, Kaiser Permanente San Francisco Half Marathon 2011, Rock 'n' Roll Denver 1/2 Marathon 2011, 9/11 Remembrance Run Half Marathon 2011, Race On the Base 10k 2014, Innovation Run 5k 2014, Grand Prix of Running 10k, LA Quarter Marathon 2014, and other races I am missing off the top of my head
Old 01-28-2013, 03:03 PM   #1722
bellanotte10

I'm gonna go snag some!
I felt like the worlds most awkward ninja

I 2 nd (or is it third) the Gatorade powder. I don't use it as much as I should but I love it!
Old 01-28-2013, 03:07 PM   #1723
saysay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarGirl11 View Post
Okay I have to ask how did you do the Mulan costume? I would love to do her one year. She's my favorite princess next to Merida. Did you get a summer kimono or something?
I think my costume was lame...but it was

Pink sparkle skirt
Red team sparkle over it
light pink shirt with mushu pinned to me
Mulan Tiara from disney store - got it on sale
Blue sparkly cumberbund with pink ribbon on top.

In the attached photo - my arm warmers are socks I used for warmth....I wore them like first 2 miles then ditched. The year before, it was too hot for long sleeves IMO. I thought my costume was kind of lame, but I had a couple spectators yell out Go Mulan! and then when I got to the heroes, Prince Eric said "Li, look who it is?" and he ushered me over to Li Shang. ;-) Scroll down to second picture...and if you want there is a video I made of all the race photos so you can see the outfit in action

Shout out to Tinker Amy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wrDv...ature=youtu.be

http://runwalkrepeat.blogspot.com/20...l-to-wear.html

Disneyland - 2009 Sheraton, 2010 Candy Cane Inn, 2012 Grand Californian
WDW - 2010, 2011, 2012 Wyndham Bonnet Creek, 2011, 2012 The Swan, 2012 POFQ, 2013 POR, Sheraton Vistana, 2014 POR, CR, AKL

Last edited by saysay; 01-28-2013 at 03:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:25 PM   #1724
Gryhndmom
Coast to Coast 2013....PHM and DL Half

Just checked runDisney and still no waivers since I was on the site I clicked on awards and see where the ceremony will be at 8:30...since I'm sure to be in corral F or G or as I call it " here to have fun and stay two steps ahead of balloon lady", I realized that I will STILL be on the course ! Oh well...just hoping race retreat will still be open when I get done so I can have a mimosa

DH and I got a rental car as DH hates to wait on the Disney bus and he likes to run to the store to get food and in this case Gatorade for the PHM. On our last trip a cast member told us of a grocery store about a mile from the contemporary so it makes a quick and easy trip.
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM   #1725
sherekhan
DLF>DNF>>DNS

Quote:
Originally Posted by saysay View Post
I think my costume was lame...but it was
and then when I got to the heroes, Prince Eric said "Li, look who it is?" and he ushered me over to Li Shang. ;-) Scroll down to second picture...and if you want there is a video I made of all the race photos so you can see the outfit in action

Shout out to Tinker Amy!
[/url]
I LOVE that he brought you over to Li Shang. what a sweet moment!

I am ditching the Frost Fairy stuff. The wings were annoying to me and the white hairspray made my lovely Pocahontas (5K costume) locks feel like straw for 2 days. I sat down to think and just returned to basics. I don't always have hair this long, so since I do, I'm gonna go Jasmine.

I experimented 8.5 miles with a head jewel and big earrings and was shocked that they didn't bug me at all. Crazy! So, I'm going with my favorite aqua jog bra and the jewelry. The test was going up to my daughters room (7 yr olds don't lie) to ask "Do I look like Jasmine?" She took a glance and said "Yes!" so this must be good enough.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: