Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 11-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #151
princessmeghan
Earning My Ears

Okay fellow cold weather runners: I'm terrified of training through the winter. Ice and snow (basically 3 months of slippery roads) are my biggest concerns. How do you get in all your runs? I'm in WI.

My plan now is to move my long runs around and try my best to do them outside. I can do short runs on the treadmill.

I'm pretty sure anymore than 3-5 miles on the treadmill will kill me.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #152
princessmeghan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by joliren View Post
Here is a picture from last year's race. This was just before the finish line. Now I really need to start working on next year's costume. ]
Love this photo! You look so happy.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 05:39 PM   #153
MoonFaerie
DIS Veteran

Ok, I think I'm all caught up on adding names. If I missed you, let me know.

I had a nice, restful day of quiet, and I'm starting to feel better. I dropped the kids off at school, sent DH to work, and went back to bed. My bp meds are also starting to work, so I'm sure that a less insane blood pressure plays a role in feeling better. It was 220/118 when I was at the ER last week. It was down to 153/107 today, so it's moving in the right direction. Hopefully after another week, my bp will be back down to the normal range.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #154
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindakrazy2
Apparently I have a lazy butt too. I was at my pain management doc yesterday and he said because of my back/SI injury I have it has effected how my glutes can/do work. My abductors have tried to compensate and have hurt themselves in the process.

I have hardly run at all for the last couple of weeks and I'm worried because Tink is in 51 days.
OMG lazy butt is contagious!!!! Princesses beware!!!

Seriously though, who knew? Isn't it the craziest thing?

Old 11-27-2012, 06:19 PM   #155
joan4mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post
Okay fellow cold weather runners: I'm terrified of training through the winter. Ice and snow (basically 3 months of slippery roads) are my biggest concerns. How do you get in all your runs? I'm in WI.

My plan now is to move my long runs around and try my best to do them outside. I can do short runs on the treadmill.

I consider myself a fair weather runner. I'm always looking ahead at the weather to decide what day will work for a LR and then base my other 2 runs for the week around that. Now, I'm not so far north so it will be harder for you. I have done 10 miles on the TM and could do it again, but it is better outside. I run three days a week. One long, one speed and one tempo. Currently, I am doing the two short runs on the TM. Close to an hour and a half for each. I have printed off the princess course and taped it to the TM and used my imagination and the other thing is, I try to see how far I can go before looking at the distance on the TM. I have made it 7 or 8 miles before peaking. Good luck!

Old 11-27-2012, 06:27 PM   #156
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by bskelly07 View Post
Cate are you a part of the FB group? I think I saw you on there in a comment thread, but I didn't want to be a super creeper say hey incase it wasn't you, lol!
LOL, that's me. Cate R on FB. I'm in the princess group, and recently also joined the Team#rundisney and the Endurance Sports Connection groups, which are both great and friendly.

Cate
Old 11-27-2012, 06:39 PM   #157
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan View Post

I run outside all winter in New England. Admittedly, I've only been running over one very mild winter, but I've been out in snow, ice, and weather down to 5F. It's the same as everything else: no bad weather, only bad clothes/gear. I have gore-tex sneakers (nike), flocked running tights, a windproof jacket with pit zips (lurve the pit zips), wool socks, and for ice, yaktrax (basically studded snow tires that you pull on over your shoes). A good hat with a ponytail hole and some gloves and I'm good to go. Actually, I usually run after work so add on the knuckle lights and reflective vest. I look COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS but I'm comfortable and safe so it's all good. I was inspired by a coworker who is a super-fast triathlete who told me she runs outside year round. It can be done if you stock up on the right gear. Sierra Trading Post has gotten a lot of my money.

Cate
Old 11-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #158
scrapAM
Earning My Ears

Please add me to the list of runners. I will be running with a group of friends and we are staying at AoA. This will be my second Princess.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #159
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Sorry for the serial posts here...too much to say!

Joliren, welcome! I'm so impressed with how polished your costume looks.

Moon, I'm glad you're feeling better. More good healing thoughts coming your way!

Everybody (and O/T): A while back we were talking about mud runs. My friend who wants to do the Warrior Dash has asked if we can start with an easy one this year. We know about Lozilu, but it's SOOO girly (I realize the irony of asking this question on a thread for the PRINCESS half marathon...). Are there any other mud/obstacle runs that are really low-intensity that people would recommend?

Thanks.

Cate
Old 11-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #160
Princess on the Run
Sprinkling Pixie Dust!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate View Post
Everybody (and O/T): A while back we were talking about mud runs. My friend who wants to do the Warrior Dash has asked if we can start with an easy one this year. We know about Lozilu, but it's SOOO girly (I realize the irony of asking this question on a thread for the PRINCESS half marathon...). Are there any other mud/obstacle runs that are really low-intensity that people would recommend?
Warrior Dash is probably a really good entry level mud/OCR if you want something that isn't super girly or full on brutal. For girlier (but not totally priss) you could try Dirty Girl. It's fun and a fair entry level one with options to do easier obstacles if they look too daunting. I would avoid Pretty Muddy as it's basically inflatable purple children's toys. If you want to look at something that gives levels to work toward a "system" of races, the Spartan Races start with the Sprint and then the Super and then the Beast (and there are more for those wanting even more challenge). Merrill Down & Dirty offers a 5K and 10K option and I would say they are challenging but not horribly awful. For a first time to see if you like it, I would probably go Warrior Dash or Dirty Girl. Those are fun and not overly competitive where you are going to be plowed down by some die-hard elite team and will give you enough of a taste to see if you like it.

These are all ones that run as a series in different locations so you can find them near you. There may also be ones that are exclusive to your area.

Mud runs are totally my thing and I am happy to answer any questions or if you think of a race and want an opinion, I know a lot of people who run these even if it's one I haven't done yet.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:25 PM   #161
jlm314
Earning My Ears

Omg

So, I had a minor moment when the thread showed as closed. I have become slightly addicted. I am so glad it is back.

Please add me to the list too.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 PM   #162
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessmeghan

Hi! I trained in 20-40 degree weather here in ny. I actually love it. Gear is the most important thing with cold weather running. Cotton socks, cotton anything can be dangerous in cold. Always look for wicking, athletic fabrics, and layer for warmth and protection.

I worked for lululemon athletica for years and stocked up on amazing cold weather run gear. I basically wear long, wicking, compression tights as my bottom. For my top I layer a wicking bra-tank (Power Y style, I am small busted so it works for me) and tuck it into the tights. Then my long sleeve is called a Run: Swiftly Tech Long Sleeve. It's an anti bacterial, vented, wicking shirt. If it is 30-40 i really only need just that because I really heat up right away. If it's particularly cold or windy I add a wicking hooded pullover that has cuffins for my hands and a hole for my garmin, clutch ;-) The run tights have 5 pockets, 3 in the waistband and 2 vents that can be vents or pockets on the leg. They rock. This year the tights have 7 pockets or more! I also use a wicking ear warmer. I have to bring bounty paper towels because my nose POURS snot! Sorry for grossness! I put that in my waistband or in the pocket of the hoodie.

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 11-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #163
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacate

I run outside all winter in New England. Admittedly, I've only been running over one very mild winter, but I've been out in snow, ice, and weather down to 5F. It's the same as everything else: no bad weather, only bad clothes/gear. I have gore-tex sneakers (nike), flocked running tights, a windproof jacket with pit zips (lurve the pit zips), wool socks, and for ice, yaktrax (basically studded snow tires that you pull on over your shoes). A good hat with a ponytail hole and some gloves and I'm good to go. Actually, I usually run after work so add on the knuckle lights and reflective vest. I look COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS but I'm comfortable and safe so it's all good. I was inspired by a coworker who is a super-fast triathlete who told me she runs outside year round. It can be done if you stock up on the right gear. Sierra Trading Post has gotten a lot of my money.

Cate
You got that shiz down!!!! I lurve this!!! And pit zips!!!!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 PM   #164
mamacate
Half Crazy Princess 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess on the Run View Post
For a first time to see if you like it, I would probably go Warrior Dash or Dirty Girl. Those are fun and not overly competitive where you are going to be plowed down by some die-hard elite team and will give you enough of a taste to see if you like it.

These are all ones that run as a series in different locations so you can find them near you. There may also be ones that are exclusive to your area.

Mud runs are totally my thing and I am happy to answer any questions or if you think of a race and want an opinion, I know a lot of people who run these even if it's one I haven't done yet.
Thanks so much! This is very helpful. I think Dirty Girl is going to be a great fit. My friend is coming back from chronic illness and very low fitness, and she doesn't feel ready to do even Warrior Dash, since the one near us involves going up a mountain. I bet she could do it, but she's working with a trainer so I'm going to defer to the trainer's advice. Dirty Girl looks perfect and there's one near us! I'm going to send it to her. (She'll like the name too, LOL.)

Like I said, this wasn't on my bucket list, but now I'm kind of intrigued. Thanks so much for the willingness to advise. I will PM you if she has any questions!

Cate

ETA:
Quote:
Originally Posted by princessallegra View Post
You got that shiz down!!!! I lurve this!!! And pit zips!!!!
LOL, thanks! Yay for pit zips! I agree about the need for nose management materials. Big problem for me too. And yes, they say dress for 20 degrees warmer than it actually is. There's even an app (runner's ally) that will check where you are, get the local forecast, and tell you what to wear, LOL.

Last edited by mamacate; 11-27-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #165
annmarieda
DIS Veteran

Hey, quick question... what time are you all planning dinner the night before the race? Is 6:30 too early?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: