Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #1
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

Transporting a relatively small medical device

I have asthma and I plan on bringing my nebulizer since warm humid weather can set it off. I'm going to have it in a tote bag with the ampules of the medication to carry on the plane, that's ok, right? I'll have it in the same bag to carry it on the ship. Hopefully it won't be too heavy schlepping it around the airport and ship.
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
merriwthr
Mouseketeer

My only other suggestion would be to get a letter from your doctor prescribing your nebulizer and the ampules. Since the ampules are liquid, and depending on the size, they could cause an issue at the airport security gate. They won't cause a problem at the cruise security.

Good luck!
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 09:32 AM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Kim,
Medical supplies/medications are exempt from the TSA rules on liquids. It doesn't matter if they are prescription or not, they just have to be medically necessary. TSA deals with these things all the time and they won't be concerned when they see a nebulizer in your carryon but you are supposed to declare it when you put it on the scanner belt. Just look for the nearest TSA agent when you get to the belt.

DCL won't have a problem with it either. Again, they have seen it before and will be familiar with what you are bringing.

Looking forward to the cruise.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #4
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

I travel almost once a month with my DDs asthma meds and neb. TSA allows you to travel with liquid medications, they just need to be in a separate bag. You also need to "declare" it before it goes thru the scanner. This just means you tell either the TSA person standing by the line or the one sitting by the scanner you have meds coming thru. They hate to be surprised! They may also pull you aside after your stuff goes thru to do a quick look see. You are also supposed to have the labels from the prescriptions with you. Sometimes they have asked me for them and some times not. I just cut the label off the albuterol box and slip it into the plastic Baggie I have the little tubes of it in!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:09 AM   #5
chirurgeon
I am a delicate flower and need my sleep
I'm trying to avoid Emeldaitis

My inhaled meds are by prescription, the label is on the box, so that's ok. That has to be separated from the nebulizer when I go thru screening at the airport. Ok. So much to do, so little time.
CBR 4/00, YC 12/02, ASSp 6/05, AKL/BWI 12/06, ASSP/POFQ 6/07, POFQ/AKL 12/08, PCC 1 5/09, Dolphin/POP 2.0 12/09, POFQ/BCV 04/10, PCC 2.0 12/10, POR 12/11, ABD BSM 7/12, PCC 4.0 12/12, BC 4/13, ABD BSM 7/14
chirurgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #6
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

If TSA needs to "further examine" your medical equipment. Please ask them to change their gloves!

Remember, half the people who are traveling are going to their destination and have clean clothes in their suitcase and half of the people traveling are returning home and have dirty clothes in their suitcase!!!

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #7
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Bears
If TSA needs to "further examine" your medical equipment. Please ask them to change their gloves!

Remember, half the people who are traveling are going to their destination and have clean clothes in their suitcase and half of the people traveling are returning home and have dirty clothes in their suitcase!!!
And sometimes they help you out by placing your shoes into or taking them out of the bins. Yuck!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:41 PM   #8
tink576
Think of the Happiest Things, Fairies, Princesses and Kings!

My dad carries his sleep apnea machine as carry along on the plane all the time when we travel with no problems. I think since it's a medical device it doesn't "count" as a carry-along when they say you can have 1 bag and a purse.

tink576 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: