Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:52 PM   #1
mikewdw
wdw coach

Planning first cruise next June, will we miss WDW to much?

We have been 15 times total, 5 or 6 before kids. We LOVE WDW! My wife has wanted to take Disney Cruise for a few years and finally talked me into it now that our kids are 8, 6, 6. I am worried we might miss WDW. Anyone have experience doing both? Did you miss WDW or was the cruise a great enough experience? also never done any cruise before so a little anxious about it all.
mikewdw
'02 WL
CHRISTMAS '02 AS SPORTS
'03 BC
CHRISTMAS '04 POP CENTURY
'05 CBR
CHRISTMAS '06/NEW YEARS DAY '07 AS MUSIC
THANKSGIVING '07 AS MOVIES
CHRISTMAS '08 POP
CHRISTMAS '09 POR
'10 POR
'11 POR
'12 POR
'13 BC
mikewdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
amg35
DIS Veteran

Cruises are fun, different type of vacation though. Very relaxing, calm, and quite beautiful on the ocean. And the food... I have not cruised with Disney, but I'm sure their standards are excellent and I'm sure it will be very themed!

15 times! I'm sure your wife will be happy to do this cruise and I think you will enjoy yourself! I'm pretty sure you'll have another WDW trip in your future!
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikewdw
We have been 15 times total, 5 or 6 before kids. We LOVE WDW! My wife has wanted to take Disney Cruise for a few years and finally talked me into it now that our kids are 8, 6, 6. I am worried we might miss WDW. Anyone have experience doing both? Did you miss WDW or was the cruise a great enough experience? also never done any cruise before so a little anxious about it all.
mikewdw
Done both, and the cruise is a great experience.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:02 PM   #4
stindall
Congress Tart

A cruise is something I've always wanted to do, but not badly enough to actually book one. I think the thing you'll miss most are rides. Disney Cruises look amazing and very well themed! I say that if you've never done a cruise or if you haven't for a long time, you should go ahead with the cruise. WDW will always be there for you. I'm sure it'll be just as magical!

Oh god there's the yeti! - The Trip Report!.

- Sept 2008 Honeymoon @ Pop - Dec. 2009 surprise for dad @ Pop -
Sept. 2013 First solo trip @ Pop
- Sept. 2014 brother/sister trip @ pop!- Aug. 2015 DL @ Stanford Inn & Suites -

Last edited by stindall; 11-23-2012 at 10:06 PM.
stindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

They are very different vacations. Sometimes you long to go to WDW when you are getting off the ship and others are heading for the world while you head for the airport. If I was offered a free 7 night trip to WDW or a fee 7 night cruise, it would be a tough choice. I love them both. I have been to WDW about 13 or 14 times and on the cruise 3 times. You do still get that Disney magic and customer service on the cruise.

I don't know that I would want to do both in one trip....just the logistics of packing for both would drive me nuts. We did do a one day in Epcot before a cruise once.
LisaBi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
King Dumbo
Earning My Ears

We did a land sea on the Dream in June. We did WDW for 4 nights and the Dream for 4 nights. We have a 2 year old and there were a lot of character encounters. Very accessible. The dinners were awesome. You rotate to different restaurants but keep your same waiter. The pools were a little disappointing. Very small...and I've been on cruise ships of that size with much bigger pools. Oh well. The Aquaduck is cool...but you'll wait close to an hour.

My thing is...I've been in WDW so much, it's ok to try the cruise. You may find that you'll like it. Do a land sea and get the best of both worlds.
King Dumbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:23 AM   #7
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

I think you will be fine just doing the cruise. We did a land/sea thing we put together as we added a cruise to our WDW vacation last minute. Although we really enjoyed doing The World after the cruise, WDW was almost a let down the first few days after the cruise believe it or not. We went on the cruise this Oct with our almost 2 and 4 1/2 yr old. The character interactions and shows on the ship are great and def. give you the Disney feel. The character interactions on the ship in my opinion are far superior to those in the park. My 4 1/2 yr old LOVED the kids club. When asked if she had the choice of the parks or a cruise and could only do one, she chose the cruise!!! I was afraid we would miss the parks if we didn't go, but by the time the cruise was over if I had a choice of a few more days on the ship (we only did a 4 night) or going to WDW I would have picked the ship.

If you are worried you could always do a few days at the parks before your cruise (or after, but I would recommend before.)
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:47 PM   #8
hamm1207
Alaskan DIS Veteran

Eight cruises and 50+ trips to WDW and its a tough choice for me. If youve never been, go on the cruise. I liken the cruise line to Disney of 20 years ago. The service is awesome. Living far away from Orlando we dont get to WDW much anymore (maybe once a year...thats not much for us!) so I can understand the cruise or wdw dilemma. In your case, id say cruise.

May 2010 Bahamas Cruise Disney Wonder January 26-30, 2011 Disney Dream Maiden VoyageApril 27-May 3, 2011 West Coast Repo Disney Wonder December 4-11, 2011 Mexican Riviera Disney Wonder Eastern Caribbean - April 13-20, 2012 Disney Magic First Galveston Cruise - Sept 22-29, 2012 Disney Magic Bahamas Dream - Sept 30-Oct 4, 2012 Disney DreamApril 28-May 2, 2013 Disney Dream BahamasMay 4-11, 2013 Disney Fantasy Eastern CaribbeanOctober 27-November 1, 2013 Disney Magic out of Miami May 19, 2014 West Coast Repo-Disney Wonder May 24, 2014 Alaska Cruise-Disney Wonder
hamm1207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:16 AM   #9
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Have you never taken a non-WDW vacation? Then maybe it's time you did. Don't think of it as missing WDW- think of it as trying a new Disney adventure. Variety is the spice of life- and it looks like you're due for some.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:13 AM   #10
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

For us, the cruise was a family compromise -- a way to experience Disney and still accommodate a member who was burnt out on the parks.

Unfortunately, as we discovered, they couldn't tolerate the constant motion, despite having taken motion sickness precautions.

For that and a few other reasons, we'll probably never do another, but I heartily recommend starting with a "four-day" cruise just to see if you're cruising compatible.

If that works, go for the seven day adventures.

Personally, I'd love to do one of the repositioning cruises between FL and Europe -- I can't but imagine how great 2 weeks on board would be!
Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #11
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

First little background. DW & I started going to WDW annually over 25 years ago (during this time we've been blessed with 2 DDs now in college). As a family, we started cruising with DCL, 10 years ago & have completed 8 cruises with 3 more scheduled.
What we found after our 1st cruise (drove home directly once off the ship) is that, although we really loved the cruise we missed hitting the parks. So for us the answer was simple; combine our cruises with WDW visits or vice versa. This way we fulfill both vacation itches.
If we book a 7 day cruise we'll usually go down 3 or 4 days early & probably stay 2 or 3 days after. If we do a 4 day cruise, we just stay a few extra days at the parks. Clearly this may not work for everyone, but it was the perfect solution for us, it also helps that we also DVC members.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
StarMoon
Child at Heart

I have not done the Disney cruise line but I did go on my very first cruise last summer on Royal Caribbean and absolutely positively loved it!!! I'm not sure about missing WDW as I have not taken frequent trips to there I can't really say I "missed" it. It was a different type of vacation but if you keep an open mind you should have a great time!
If you don't normally get motion sickness you should be fine on the ship and if motion sickness is something you have to worry about you can use the over the counter stuff or go to your dr. for a patch.
There's a forum that's similar to this one only it's for cruises that really helped me last year called cruisecritic.com. There's tons of information about cruises in general and subforums of all the different lines and yes Disney is in there.
Don't worry too much just do your homework and have a great time!

Past Trips:

Disney World 1991, 1997, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012

Upcoming? Who knows but I'm hoping to do a Disney Cruise with friends and family for my 30th birthday in 2015
StarMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:20 PM   #13
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

I have done lots of trips to WDW and love every one. I really wanted to try out the cruise line, though. Like you, I had never cruised before. I also get violently motion sick just looking at a picture of the ocean . But DCL sounds so fun I decided to try it. We did a 4-day on the Dream last Halloween and I LOVED it! I was a little queasy the first night, but we had pretty rough waters. I took bonine the whole time and was great! I have another cruise scheduled on the Wonder in April and the Fantasy next New Year's Eve. For the NYE cruise we will probably not do the parks too, but we are so excited about the cruise, I don't think we'll miss them. Like PPs mentioned, the service is beyond amazing. I highly recommend giving it a try.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
PA Disneymania
Mouseketeer

Smile Magical Cruise

We sailed on the Disney Magic about 10 years ago when our kids were about the same ages as yours. They loved everything about it. If you haven't check out the Kids club activities. Our daughter loved the princesses and was able to interact with them in the Kids' Club, much more personal than just the Greets at WDW. My husband and I have cruised several times since, and we have yet to enjoy any cruise as much as we did the Magic. Everything Disney does is magical; the cruise will not disappoint.
I wish we were going with you.
PA Disneymania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #15
bdink921
DIS Veteran

We took our DS then 8 on the Wonder for our first cruise and absolutely loved it!!! We did a land/sea combo and actually wished we booked a 7 night cruise. Your kids are a perfect age for DCL -- the shows, the kids club, the characters, and Castaway Cay . The service was impeccable and the food was very good (especially Palo). The cruise will be a nice change from the parks. We definitely found out that we are cruise people though and that is our preferred vacation (for now). If you feel that you will miss WDW too much, do a short pre or post stay. BTW, I am very prone to seasickness (was so nervous I'd be sick the whole cruise) and found that if I start using bonine 2 nights before the cruise, I don't have a problem.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: