Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 PM   #1
mominwife
Earning My Ears

Wdw in January

How is it? What is the weather usually like I'm thinking of taking my just turned 6 year old DD for her birthday. I was looking at Jan 14-18 or Jan 21-25. Any thoughts or tips?
mominwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
rwdavis2
DIS Veteran

It can range from cold at night (30's) to 80 during the day and everywhere in between. Take layers of clothes so you can add and subtract as necessary.
Wilderness Lodge 2004
All Star Vacation Homes 2008
Wilderness Lodge & Animal Kingdom Lodge 2012(November)
All Star Movies January 2013
Paradise Pier September 2013

Pittsburgh Dad says, "Whaddya mean you don't like sauerkraut? You want bad luck all year? Everything good that's ever happened to me started with sauerkraut! "
rwdavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-19-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
BoardWalkBelle
DIS Veteran

its winter, it will be cool, if not cold..It wont be snowing but it wont be 90 degrees, either,,.Bring jeans , sweatshirts, and a jacket. Its funny (and tiring0 to hear tourist complain about the FL weather becasue it is Nov, Dec and jan but it isnt 90 degrees..hello people,,its winter!! lol
BoardWalkBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
BrookeMQ
Mouseketeer

We went around that time a few years ago. One day we wore jeans and a t-shirt during the day. A couple days later it was cold and we wore coats and were still a little chilly. It also rained one day. We were there for a week and the weather changed almost daily.
BrookeMQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
harleys mom
Disney Princess.

I have gone in january the last few years. I think the weather is perfect. It is shorts during the day, and a light jacket at night. I agree with dressing in layers...
2014 Trip on the Disney Fantasy!!!
2014 Wilderness Lodge, Cyann's First Trip with Aunt Amy and Uncle Scott.
harleys mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
hidmickey:myantidrug
DIS Veteran

We've done mid-January the past couple years, and I agree with everyone else here: layers!

I'd start the morning off in jeans, a long-sleeved tee, a regular tee shirt on top, and a north face-type jacket. Shorts and gloves were always in the backpack for (hopefully!) later in the day. Throughout the day, clothes would start coming off. I'd take the jacket off after about an hour or two, the long-sleeved tee would be removed usually around 11-12ish, and on some days, jeans would be traded in for shorts in the early afternoon peak heat time. By dinner, pants and long-sleeve shirt were back, and after sunset, the jacket came back, too. On late EMH days, the gloves came out after a few hours.

There will almost certainly be a substantial range in temps while you're there, so you'll have to pack smart. It's a bigger pain to go clothes-wise at this time of year, but it's so worth the lighter crowds!
hidmickey:myantidrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:11 PM   #7
GeorgeG
Stumped for 2005
You can keep the pickles
I fully intend to be a ghost when it's my turn

It's a crapshoot, for sure. About six years ago my granddaughter (teenager then) came down to visit in early January. One day we went to the Magic Kingdom and it was pleasant shirtsleeve weather, about 80 and sunny. The very next day we went to Sea World and froze with jackets on. My wife had to get us all wool gloves in the gift shop. Evenings will usually be cool to cold even when it's nice during the day, so definitly follow the layer advice.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #8
mominwife
Earning My Ears

I guess I should have included this question I'm the op. Hubby and I went this past Feb 6-10 is the weather that much different?....thanks to all who have replied
mominwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
mom to minnie&mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mominwife View Post
How is it? What is the weather usually like I'm thinking of taking my just turned 6 year old DD for her birthday. I was looking at Jan 14-18 or Jan 21-25. Any thoughts or tips?

Lots and lots of Brazilian tour groups as January is their school vacation. They were also there in July and most days the parks were Just something to keep in mind so you can plan accordingly.
mom to minnie&mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #10
MommytoaSweetie
DIS Veteran

Winter is our favorite time of year at WDW! We love the lower crowds (generally) and prefer it chilly than crazy hot. We've done January and February and have both times had it be pretty chilly in the morning, although certainly not as cold as it is at home, but I do think we've used park tickets as ice scrapers on our rental cars a few times. That doesn't stop us for sure, though! We'll be there this year and can't wait! Praying it's not crazy cold, but it'll be fun whatever the weather is like.

We are so blessed! Trip to WDW in the 80s courtesy of Make-A-Wish, two trips in the 90s thanks to youth group and a band trip, then a trip in 2004 with DH - what started the trend. Another short trip in 2005, a trip to DisneyLand in 2008 with our DD1, another trip to WDW in 2008 with DD1, trip in 2010 with DD1 and DD2, and just another in February 2011 with DD1 and DD2. It's been amazing!

DH, me, and our two beautiful girls (5 and 3)

Our dining report from our February 2011 trip
MommytoaSweetie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #11
At World's End
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidmickey:myantidrug View Post
We've done mid-January the past couple years, and I agree with everyone else here: layers!

I'd start the morning off in jeans, a long-sleeved tee, a regular tee shirt on top, and a north face-type jacket. Shorts and gloves were always in the backpack for (hopefully!) later in the day. Throughout the day, clothes would start coming off. I'd take the jacket off after about an hour or two, the long-sleeved tee would be removed usually around 11-12ish, and on some days, jeans would be traded in for shorts in the early afternoon peak heat time. By dinner, pants and long-sleeve shirt were back, and after sunset, the jacket came back, too. On late EMH days, the gloves came out after a few hours.

There will almost certainly be a substantial range in temps while you're there, so you'll have to pack smart. It's a bigger pain to go clothes-wise at this time of year, but it's so worth the lighter crowds!
This is what we do also. Layers are key. Both years we were there, even during the great freeze of 2010, we had at least one day that was warm enough for shorts. But we're from the NorthWest, we're 50 degrees and sunny is shorts
weather! I would definitely bring a hat and gloves. They can be hard to find in Florida.

At World's End is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
ChadsGirl
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom to minnie&mickey View Post
Lots and lots of Brazilian tour groups as January is their school vacation.
This. We weren't aware of this before we went in late January a few years ago. The groups were EVERYWHERE.

We also had quite a snap of cold weather. We didn't expect 90 degrees, but we were hoping for the average high of 70. We were FREEZING the first few days. For me personally, it was awful to be walking around all day in the cold.

We had fun, but I will never go in January again.
ChadsGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
BuzzNwoodY0824
Mouseketeer

I've always gone in January. Went 2006,2007,2008... And I'll be going again this year. All those years, it was like a chilly fall morning, then shorts and tee shirts during the day.. And shorts and a hoodie or jeans and a hoodie depending on your tolerance. All but 1 year it was defiantly swimming weather.

Maybe we just got lucky but it's always been beautiful.
BuzzNwoodY0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:38 AM   #14
hookedonears
Louisianan

Mid/Late January is a great time to go, if you get lucky with the weather. A Disney vacation cost $$$$, and taking a big gamble on weather is something we just don't like to do. You know it rains allot in Orlando, but rain and cold, or just cold wouldn't be worth it for us. Also, Splash Mt. will be closed and we wouldn't plan a trip unless same were open.
hookedonears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #15
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom to minnie&mickey View Post
Lots and lots of Brazilian tour groups as January is their school vacation. They were also there in July and most days the parks were Just something to keep in mind so you can plan accordingly.
Yup and not just Disney..they descend on Orlando themeparks in large groups..Universal was PACKED with them ( we did a Universal only trip last year)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: