Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 01:39 AM   #1
izzycan
Earning My Ears

Please tell me if this is doable...

My 6 year old and I, along with my niece who is a current cast member, plan to spend December 11 at Animal Kingdom. They close at 5 so we *hope* to use Disney transportation to then head over to Hollywood Studios to look at the lights until they close at 8 (we won't be doing any rides or attractions - just looking at lights). At 8 we *hope* to make it to Epcot in time to eat dinner at Teppan Edo at 9:20.

Is all of this possible, or should I give up my Teppan Edo reservation?

Thanks!

Quick Rundown:

Animal Kingdom - 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Hollywood Studios - 6ish -8:00
Epcot for dinner only - 9:20
izzycan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #2
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

I think it does sound doable if you have the stamina. I can't really comment on the buses since we always drive. I think that driving yourself is much quicker than taking Disney Transportation. We did take the boat from HS to Epcot, and while enjoyable, it was a lot slower than I had hoped. A lot of your plan depends on you hitting the transportation just right so you aren't waiting long. Is there a reason you don't want to drive between parks? Once you have paid for parking at one park, it covers the whole day at all the parks.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 02:06 AM   #3
izzycan
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six View Post
I think it does sound doable if you have the stamina. I can't really comment on the buses since we always drive. I think that driving yourself is much quicker than taking Disney Transportation. We did take the boat from HS to Epcot, and while enjoyable, it was a lot slower than I had hoped. A lot of your plan depends on you hitting the transportation just right so you aren't waiting long. Is there a reason you don't want to drive between parks? Once you have paid for parking at one park, it covers the whole day at all the parks.
Thanks for your reply. I didn't realize you could take the boat from HS to Epcot. About how long is the ride?

We are flying in, and I'm not renting a car. We will be relying on Disney transportation our entire stay. Last year our whole family drove the 13 hours to Disney, but since it's just my daughter and I this time, we'll be flying.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:26 AM   #4
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

It was the comment about the CM neice that threw me - I just assumed you lived fairly close.

Yes, you can take the boat from HS to Epcot. It does go around to all the Epcot resorts first, so it is not fast, but my family did enjoy the ride. It was neat seeing all the resorts from the lake. It took about 30 minutes. I don't know how often it leaves HS. I think we got lucky and one was just leaving when we got there! When you get off the boat, you come into Epcot from International Gateway, which is closer to Japan than the front of the park would be. So, I do think it is doable to see the lights and head to Epcot. You can also walk from HS to Epcot, which I heard takes around 30 minutes also.

I don't know anything about the bus though. I don't know if they go from park to park.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 AM   #5
izzycan
Earning My Ears

Oh Sorry. I guess I should have clarified about my niece. She is there on the Disney College Program without transportation. She uses Disney transportation and friends to get where she needs to go.

Thank you so much for your reply. The information you gave me has been extremely helpful!!
Old 11-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #6
Time Traveler
the best around

Even if the boat takes a few minutes to arrive, it'd most likely get you to where you need to go much quicker as the Epcot stop is between France and England in the world showcase. If you took a bus, you'd have to walk all the way from the bus stop to the back of the park.

I'd recommend trying to get out of Animal Kingdom a few minutes early if possible; you don't want to get trapped in the horde of people who are leaving. Aside from taking much longer to exit the park, you'd probably end up behind considerably more people for your bus. Same goes for Hollywood Studios if possible, just try to get out a few minutes before everyone else.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 AM   #7
kellyg403
She changes friends like she changes underwear
NEVER GO INTO THE BOWELS OF HELL aka teenager bedroom WITHOUT TURNING ON THE LIGHTS

It does shoud doable to me as well. I would also take the boat ride, as another said you would have to walk from the front of the park to the back if you grab the bus. The boat drops you near Canada so if it you are cutting it close its not a long distance.

I didn't time the boat ride when we took it last time but I would say 30 min would be about right. The only issue you may have is wait time to actually get on a boat, and whether you get to board the first boat that comes along.

Kelly
Old 11-25-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Raenstoirm
BL6 Team Challenge Tracker
Lets go get me your numbers!

No problem at all. The general rule is an hour between destinations via disney transportation. Just as everyone said AK-bus-DHS-Boat-EP

Trying to stay at every resort, but we are creatures of habit!
Caribbean Beach/Riverside/Wilderness Lodge/All Star Movies/Beach Club/Contemporary

Raenstoirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Yes, you can take the boat from HS to Epcot. It does go around to all the Epcot resorts first, so it is not fast, but my family did enjoy the ride. It was neat seeing all the resorts from the lake. It took about 30 minutes. I don't know how often it leaves HS. I think we got lucky and one was just leaving when we got there! When you get off the boat, you come into Epcot from International Gateway, which is closer to Japan than the front of the park would be. So, I do think it is doable to see the lights and head to Epcot. You can also walk from HS to Epcot, which I heard takes around 30 minutes also.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 AM   #10
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
I don't know anything about the bus though. I don't know if they go from park to park.
There is "direct" (-some more "direct" -some less) transportation between all the WDW theme parks.

Most routes are via Disney Buses.

Here are the "park-to-park" Disney Transportation direct connections:

>Note: The MK bus connections arrive and depart only at TTC.<

MK/TTC> Epcot = Monorail
MK/TTC> DHS = Bus
MK/TTC> AK= Bus

AK> DHS= Direct Bus
AK> Epcot= Direct Bus
AK> TTC/MK= Bus

DHS> TTC/MK= Bus
DHS> AK= Direct Bus
DHS> Epcot= Direct Bus (Epcot Front Gate) or Boat (Epcot Intl. Gateway)
......Boats ("Friendships") make 3 interim stops at the Epcot area resorts.)

Epcot > TTC/MK= Monorail
Epcot > AK= Direct Bus
Epcot> DHS= Direct Bus (Epcot Front Gate) or Boat (Epcot Intl. Gateway)
......Boats ("Friendships") make 3 interim stops at the Epcot area resorts.)

The buses have their destinations shown on them on illuminated signs.
The bus stops at the parks are also marked with signage.

As a rule-of-thumb, allow 40-60 minutes to get from the gates of one park to the gates of another park.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:06 PM   #11
Mick&Minn
Mouseketeer

sorry
Wilderness Lodge, PORF, AKL, POP Century
Once to Disneyland Howard Johnson
Once on the Disney Magic AOA Little Mermaid
Mick&Minn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Luv2CtheMouse
DIS Veteran

This is very doable. We have done this before - but it was adults only.
Luv2CtheMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:13 PM   #13
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2CtheMouse View Post
This is very doable. We have done this before - but it was adults only.
I was kind of thinking along these lines too.

That's a long day and a late dinner for a 6 year old. That's a long day and a late dinner for this 50 year old.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:28 PM   #14
matheke
DIS Veteran

It is very doable if you do not plan to use the boat from DHS to EPCOT. Since you say you are staying until closing the line for the boat will be very long. There are 5 resorts that share the boat and it can be very crowded. Your best bet is to walk to EPCOT.

4 or 5 years ago we were staying at the BC and saw how long the line was for the boat at DHS and walked back. We only saw one boat pass us along the way and that was the boat that was loading when we started walking. We only saw one boat going the other way during the entire walk.

I would leave DHS earlier or plan to walk to EPCOT.
matheke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #15
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

This is very doable, but I would use ped-ex instead of the boat.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: