Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #1
3PRINCESSMOM
Used to be 3PRINCESSMOM, but alas she nows has a PRINCE

Question Taking the plunge... not hopping during Dec trip... YIKES!!!

After making ADRs and reviewing tentative plans, it seems we'd likely want to visit one park per day. We talked about it as a family and everyone is kinda excited. We're going to either stay until we get tired or crowds become too much, or sleep in and start late to stay for evening activities, (this is only an option in Parks where there were EMH the day before).

Any DISers have experience with foregoing hopping? Any regrets?
3PRINCESSMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PRINCESSMOM View Post
After making ADRs and reviewing tentative plans, it seems we'd likely want to visit one park per day. We talked about it as a family and everyone is kinda excited. We're going to either stay until we get tired or crowds become too much, or sleep in and start late to stay for evening activities, (this is only an option in Parks where there were EMH the day before).

Any DISers have experience with foregoing hopping? Any regrets?
December is probably the one time I would go WITH hoppers. Here's why:

AK closes at 5:00. That's a lot of evening to go to another park.

MK has parties (unless you're going the week after Dec 20). The daytime crowds of party nights are noticeably lower than non-party days. It's a great time to get all your rides in, but you have to leave the park by 7:00, so again another night to hop somewhere else.

Speaking of parties, if we go to MK on a party day, we need an evening at MK to see the parade and Wishes, but I don't want to spend the whole day at a crowded MK. We usually use our AK or HS day to hop over to MK for this.

Osborne Lights at HS. You definitely want some time to enjoy this, but HS also closes early in Dec--many nights at 7:00. That's still enough time to hit up Epcot or MK.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 08-19-2012, 06:10 PM   #3
AudreyLovesTheMouse
Magic Kingdom Mad

I tried that several years ago, when my daughter was small. It worked well, because if it was a long day, we went back to the hotel to swim and then back to the same park at night. If it was a shorter day, we swam, ate dinner at a character meal, or visited the downtown disney area.
Every year since we have "hopped", but next year we decided to try it again. We are finally going to stay at the Grand Floridian! My daughter (a teen now) and I decided that if we don't have the hopper, it will result in us enjoying a little more time at the hotel!
Old 08-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
wdwlver
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
December is probably the one time I would go WITH hoppers. Here's why:

AK closes at 5:00. That's a lot of evening to go to another park.

MK has parties (unless you're going the week after Dec 20). The daytime crowds of party nights are noticeably lower than non-party days. It's a great time to get all your rides in, but you have to leave the park by 7:00, so again another night to hop somewhere else.

Speaking of parties, if we go to MK on a party day, we need an evening at MK to see the parade and Wishes, but I don't want to spend the whole day at a crowded MK. We usually use our AK or HS day to hop over to MK for this.

Osborne Lights at HS. You definitely want some time to enjoy this, but HS also closes early in Dec--many nights at 7:00. That's still enough time to hit up Epcot or MK.

I am a hopper and I really agree with the above, especially when parks close early.....

Disney Trips
2014 - GFV & YC - 2013 - BC & BCV - 2012 - GF, BCV - 2011 - BCV, YC - 2010 - POLY & BCV - 2009 - BWV & BCV - 2008 - BWI & BWV, 2007 - BWV, 2006 - BWV & BCV,2005 - SSR & YC, 2004 - WL,2003 - Swan,2002 - WL,2001 - AKL,2000 - GF,1999 - WL & YC,1997 - WL,1994 - GF,1993 - GF & BC,1992 - GF,1991 - CR & BC, - & many trips to DLR
wdwlver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #5
CalSea12
Desperately needs a dose of the magic!

We decided not to hop this year in October, when we usually do, so we will see how it goes. I am kinda excited about it but it will be only me and my DH.

I do not see anything wrong with it because if the parks close earlier that night there is still so much to do at WDW, like DTD, movies, mini golf, swim, touring resorts, plus all the activities that the resorts put on.

Several Trips as a child to DL and DW, 2008-All Star Movies ,2010-Honeymoon Caribbean Beach, November 2013 ASMu
CalSea12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #6
3PRINCESSMOM

December hours definitely made us think twice

but we still think we've got it covered.

We arrive on Tuesday evening, DH's b-day. His choice to celebrate is Beaches & Cream... Don't ask... suffice it to say calling him an ice cream lover is putting it mildly.

Wed, we're going to do HS (9am-8pm) with an early start. We may stay for the duration or take an afteernoon break. We have ADR for 50s PT and hope to catch both Fantasmic and OSL.

Thu, we're sleeping in then having lunch at DTD. We'll head to MK as early as our MVMCP tickets will allow and take in the Party festivities.

Fri, we'll do AK from whenever we get there until closing. We have ADR for dinner at Kona. We plan to either watch EWP on Poly beach or visit the GF for lobby Xmas photos following dinner.

Sat, is our Epcot day. We'll start early, take a break, then go back. Dinner plans for Coral Reef, perhaps linger outside Candlelight Processional to listen to Olivia Newton-John, and catch Illuminations.

Sun, back to MK. Early start and hanging til our ADR at 1900 PF in GF. Likely making this an early night.

Mon, early start at HS. We will take a break in the afternoon, then back to catch a little more OSL. We have a late ADR at Ohana so we can catch 10:00 Wishes from Poly.

Tues is our departure day so we will vote on where to go. This is the only day where I think we'll miss hopping. We have a late flight and I know my family will likely want to go back to AK early and then end at MK.

Though there are limited evening hours, I truly don't think that will hinder the "no hopping."

After reading my plan... Do you think it will work?
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #7
juliebug1997
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3PRINCESSMOM View Post

Tues is our departure day so we will vote on where to go. This is the only day where I think we'll miss hopping. We have a late flight and I know my family will likely want to go back to AK early and then end at MK.

Though there are limited evening hours, I truly don't think that will hinder the "no hopping."

After reading my plan... Do you think it will work?
I think it can work, but I honestly wouldn't want to pin myself to one park all day. What if it's insanely crowded and just too miserable to be there?

Obviously, your departure day will need to be just one park; we always end at MK.

Commando #137 at your service!
juliebug1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM   #8
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Were not doing hoppers either. I just can't justify that extra expense, especially when it is only for a 5 day trip. I told myself will I reduce the amount of fun I will have?? Absolutely not, so I cancelled them!!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
rachel09985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #9
WillowBelle
DIS Veteran

I think it will work great. You did a good job of juggling all the park hours with your resis.
WillowBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #10
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

You can always buy hoppers once you're there if you change your mind.

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
MomofKatie
Maybe if you leave some chocolate under your pillow the Tag Fairy will visit you!
In the second grade I looked like a mini senior citizen!
"Dairy World?" "Fairy World." "OH, DARN IT!!!"

We haven't gotten hoppers in several years and we really don't miss them. We tend to go during non-peak times, so the parks close earlier, but that's OK with us. We felt like having hoppers made us need to be at the parks from open to close to make sure that hopping was "worth it". Doing one park per day when the parks close earlier "forces" us to have some non-park time in the evenings (DTD, swimming at the resort, visiting other resorts to shop/eat, etc).

You will be fine- if after ths trip, you decide you missed the hopping option, you can do it the next time.
MomofKatie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #12
3PRINCESSMOM

Thanks... feel better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
You can always buy hoppers once you're there if you change your mind.
That is the plan! Thanks to all! I am feeling better and confident. However, we'll through down our passes and purchase hopper option if we feel hindered in any way.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

We've gone 3 times in December without hoppers. I always go into it knowing I can add them later but never need to.

I think December lends itself very well to touring without hoppers because the weather is mild enough to stay in the parks all day without a break. We try to hit rope drop, stay all day, and by the time parks close we're ready to call it a day.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
nkereina
Wendy Darling

On our first trip we bought hoppers and I had full intentions of using them daily and didn't use them once! We found the best plan that worked for us was to go at rope drop until about lunch, break in the afternoon for nap/pool and then return to the same park at night. However, we did it like this because we would ride everything stand by in the morning and collect fast passes to use when we returned at night. Now that we won't be able to do that with the new FP rules, we will probably hop.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 08:08 PM   #15
Z28KatCar
"A wish is a dream your heart makes"

We do a park in the AM and then back to the hotel for R&R, then back to the park in the evening for dinner and fun. It decreases sensory overload for the kiddo, we avoid the hottest part of the day and crowds are at their lowest. We try to stick to the same park, so park hoppers aren't purchased until they are needed. Good Luck and have a great trip!

1974-1992 off site 2x/yr!, 1989-1992 Participant in the Candlelight procession ,1995 ASMV, 1997 AS, 1999 POFQ, 2003 Day Trip, 2010~2 wks ASMo, 2013~2 wks WL CL
Z28KatCar is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: