Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 08:09 AM   #1
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Birthday Package - No cake?!

I keep reading about people's birthday package that comes with decoration and a little cake. And i'm sure on previous cruise I saw a picture of this package.

Now, I know many have said the cake wasn't good, and expensive for $49 but I was just looking at the package and it has no cake. Just decorations.

Did they remove the cake? $49 is definitely expensive for a banner, streamers and a magnet!!

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

fredgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Yes, they removed the cake. No, they didn't reduce the cost.

Reality--there is cake all over the ship. I agree that almost $50 is a lot for decorations in your room upon boarding.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Thank you.

We always travel on March break, as really the only time we can get away. But it's always our daughter's birthday on March Break.

She loves being away for her birthday every year, and knows how lucky she is, but she asked this year if there was any way she could have a birthday cake! Kind of feel bad she rarely has a party or a cake. Thought I might splurge for a cake. Even if it isn't that good, I think the $25 might be worth it just for her 13th. But the decorations....I'll bring my own!!

Thanks

5-night Wonder from Miami trip report - http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3078323

Old 11-22-2012, 02:52 PM   #4
ethanash1
A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything......

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredgirls
Thank you.

We always travel on March break, as really the only time we can get away. But it's always our daughter's birthday on March Break.

She loves being away for her birthday every year, and knows how lucky she is, but she asked this year if there was any way she could have a birthday cake! Kind of feel bad she rarely has a party or a cake. Thought I might splurge for a cake. Even if it isn't that good, I think the $25 might be worth it just for her 13th. But the decorations....I'll bring my own!!

Thanks
I totally feel you.... We have vacationed in March since 2009 and my son turned 4 at WDW, 5 on the Magic, and 6 on the Wonder. But he has always wanted a Birthday Party.....he too knows that he's VERY lucky, but he also gets jealous of his brother who has a party in September. Last year, I brought my own decorations on board in his favorite color, along with a few pre wrapped gifts. DH took him to get morning coffee and Hot Chocolate while we frantically decorated the room and when he came back.... Surprise!! He loved it! We also ordered a slice of cake from RS the night before so we had it, along with a candle. Of course we didn't light the candle, but we still sang and pretended to blow the candle out! He loved it, and walked out ready for the day with his Birthday Button proudly pinned to the front of his shirt.....

Port Orleans French Quarter March 2009Disney Magic Western Caribbean March 2010
Disneyland VGC June 2010Disneyland VGC Sept 2010
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011 Walt Disney World / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean October 2012Aulani Resort June 2013 Disney Magic Double Dip October 2013
ethanash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:15 PM   #5
cigarboo
Mouseketeer

it's true, no cake. We sailed the Dream in Oct. I ordered the birthday package and noticed that the the details no longer listed the cake. When I had previously looked at it, it did list the cake with a variety of flavors and nut free/gluten free choices. When i called the cm to order the package, she assured me the cake came with it. Guess it was a recent change that even the cm didn't know about. I kind of figured she was wrong, so I didn't get my hopes up too high. But I was slightly disappointed, but not surprised when there was no cake in the cabin.

I wouldn't order the package again, but I did take home the decorations to use for future birthday decorating. It's cute, but I wouldn't say it's worth the price.
cigarboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanash1 View Post
I totally feel you.... We have vacationed in March since 2009 and my son turned 4 at WDW, 5 on the Magic, and 6 on the Wonder. But he has always wanted a Birthday Party.....he too knows that he's VERY lucky, but he also gets jealous of his brother who has a party in September. Last year, I brought my own decorations on board in his favorite color, along with a few pre wrapped gifts. DH took him to get morning coffee and Hot Chocolate while we frantically decorated the room and when he came back.... Surprise!! He loved it! We also ordered a slice of cake from RS the night before so we had it, along with a candle. Of course we didn't light the candle, but we still sang and pretended to blow the candle out! He loved it, and walked out ready for the day with his Birthday Button proudly pinned to the front of his shirt.....
Sounds great! I'll definitely take some decorations with me.
Love the idea of ordering RS slice of cake!
Did you take a birthday button or did they have them at guest services? I've heard different responses. We usually get the pin at the parks and it would be great to get a dcl one!

Old 11-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarboo View Post
it's true, no cake. We sailed the Dream in Oct. I ordered the birthday package and noticed that the the details no longer listed the cake. When I had previously looked at it, it did list the cake with a variety of flavors and nut free/gluten free choices. When i called the cm to order the package, she assured me the cake came with it. Guess it was a recent change that even the cm didn't know about. I kind of figured she was wrong, so I didn't get my hopes up too high. But I was slightly disappointed, but not surprised when there was no cake in the cabin.

I wouldn't order the package again, but I did take home the decorations to use for future birthday decorating. It's cute, but I wouldn't say it's worth the price.
I would have been a little disappointed too!
Pretty cheeky to take out the cake and keep the price the same!

Old 11-22-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
DesertGal
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I keep reading about people's birthday package that comes with decoration and a little cake. And i'm sure on previous cruise I saw a picture of this package.

Now, I know many have said the cake wasn't good, and expensive for $49 but I was just looking at the package and it has no cake. Just decorations.

Did they remove the cake? $49 is definitely expensive for a banner, streamers and a magnet!!
When we cruised on the Wonder in October we purchased the package and it came with a cake. I read online that they discontinued the cake so was surprised. I would expect the price to be reduced if there isn't a cake. $49 for those decorations (while they were cute and the door magnet was cute) is too steep. The cake was not good at all but my son loved having everyone sing to him.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

Our dreams come true:
DS Alec 7
DD Olivia 5
DesertGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
maryrego
Mouseketeer

If you add to the reservation your celebrating a birthday and what day you want to celebrate they will arrange the servers to bring out a cake (just a standard cake cant pick type or flavor) and a birthday button
April 21-24th 2011 Babymoon CS
Nov 20-23 2008 Disney Cruise on the Wonder
Nov 14-20 2008 ASM, POFQ
Nov 10-17 2007 Family Vacation MK, EPCOT, MGM, AK, US, IOA
Dec 2-9th 2006 Disney Cruise Western Itin Honeymoon
Nov 24 -Dec 2 2006 Wedding Trip WDW CS
Nov 27th 2006 Wedding WP/LS
May 17th - May 22nd Wedding Planning Trip MGM and MK
Nov 25th - Dec 2 2005 US / IOA
Nov 12-19 2004 US / IOA
March 1989 1st Trip MK
maryrego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:48 PM   #10
ethanash1
A little bit of Pixie Dust can fix almost anything......

Quote:

Sounds great! I'll definitely take some decorations with me.
Love the idea of ordering RS slice of cake!
Did you take a birthday button or did they have them at guest services? I've heard different responses. We usually get the pin at the parks and it would be great to get a dcl one!
They have the buttons there. When we sailed in 2010 and 2011, the buttons they gave him were the same as the parks. This year, even though we sailed in October (totally weird for me), I saw some buttons that were made for DCL Birthdays on some people. Super Cute! Make sure you ask at GS.....

Port Orleans French Quarter March 2009Disney Magic Western Caribbean March 2010
Disneyland VGC June 2010Disneyland VGC Sept 2010
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011 Walt Disney World / Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean October 2012Aulani Resort June 2013 Disney Magic Double Dip October 2013
ethanash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #11
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryrego View Post
If you add to the reservation your celebrating a birthday and what day you want to celebrate they will arrange the servers to bring out a cake (just a standard cake cant pick type or flavor) and a birthday button
What I believe used to be a celebration cake has been replaced with a chocolate dessert with chocolate writing on the plate. Our daughter had this last time. It was tasty but not the 'cake' she's looking for. I'm swaying towards slices of cake in the room. Still not a cake but the novelty will be nice for her.

We didn't get a button either. But some have said you can ask at GS for one, so I'll try that.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
fredgirls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanash1 View Post
They have the buttons there. When we sailed in 2010 and 2011, the buttons they gave him were the same as the parks. This year, even though we sailed in October (totally weird for me), I saw some buttons that were made for DCL Birthdays on some people. Super Cute! Make sure you ask at GS.....
That's great! Thanks so much.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: