Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Best Place To Avoid Wishes Fireworks?

My DS4 is terrified of fireworks. Last time we were at MK at night we simply went into the Main Street shops but they were quite loud there and he was antsy. Is there a better place to go to avoid / distract him? That is without leaving the park! I will if I have to but hope not to....
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:00 PM   #2
bytheblood
DIS Veteran

You will hear the fireworks around the park regardless of location. It really cannot be avoided. I suggest shopping in the Emporium or a snack in the bakery as a distraction.
bytheblood is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six
My DS4 is terrified of fireworks. Last time we were at MK at night we simply went into the Main Street shops but they were quite loud there and he was antsy. Is there a better place to go to avoid / distract him? That is without leaving the park! I will if I have to but hope not to....
Without leaving MK, my best guess is inside Pirates of the Caribbean or Carousel of Progress. Or maybe inside at Town Square Theater in line to see Mickey. Those attractions are probably about the three furthest away from the display.
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:16 PM   #4
Kae
DIS Veteran

When DS was four we used ear plugs at alot of attractions at WDW & they work great for fireworks.

Kae
Oct 1999-POFQ May 1996-AS Music May 1994-Travel Lodge DTD Dec 1971-Contemporary
DisneyLand-March 2006
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
ctseaton
Mouseketeer

I would take noise cancelling earphones.
ctseaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:31 PM   #6
BridgetR3
DIS Veteran

Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor?? We were in there on our most recent trip during fireworks and didn't hear a thing.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:05 PM   #7
ducky_love
Saving the world one tourist at a time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctseaton
I would take noise cancelling earphones.
I just want to second this. I have a friend that tried this and it totally changed how the child felt about fireworks.

Tiki room might be a good hiding place if it will be open until closing the night you are there.

Also, you might want to try watching then from the Polynesian beach then you could take a quick monorail ride back to the park.
DLP: November 2013
FIRST TRIP TDL: September 2014!!
ducky_love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
bcrook
DIS Veteran

I missed the fireworks last year as I was riding Its A Small World. You could probably stay in the boat and go through again.

Although carousel of progress sounds like a winner to me.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:21 PM   #9
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I also wanted to recommend the use of noise cancelling headphones like the Peltor for Kids headsets (http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...-Earmuffs.html)

Instead of having to search high and low for an inside spot that you can stay in for the duration of any fireworks show, you might want to give these a try. They really can make all the difference in the world. They do not cancell ALL noise, but will muffle it enough that he should be able to watch without being afraid of the sudden explosions.

I am very sensitive to sudden loud noises, and cringed at fireworks for years until someone gave me a pair of earplugs. Now I can watch and enjoy!
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 PM   #10
Suellen
DIS Veteran

Mickey's Philharmagic. I'm pretty sure you won't hear them in the theater.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 PM   #11
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!

I recommend the Monsters Inc. laugh floor, if you head into the attraction about 5 or 10 minutes before the fireworks, you should be in the holding room by the time the fireworks start. Then once inside the show should last long enough that you've completely missed the fireworks. Perfect
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #12
nannye
DIS Veteran

My V was terrified of fireworks to, but I bought her 3m headphones or whatever they are called the bigger earmuff ones and they worked like a charm she LOVED wishes this time!

A July TRIP REPORT! V's Ultimate Birthday Surprise! with 99 characters and costumes galore! AKA OMG YOU HAVE A DRIZELLA DOLL! UPDATED FINALLY: April 8/13
July 2012, V and I at POR in a RGR
August 2011, V & I @ POP

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
nannye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 AM   #13
DbleTheFun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum
I also wanted to recommend the use of noise cancelling headphones like the Peltor for Kids headsets (http://www.envirosafetyproducts.com/...-Earmuffs.html)

Instead of having to search high and low for an inside spot that you can stay in for the duration of any fireworks show, you might want to give these a try. They really can make all the difference in the world. They do not cancell ALL noise, but will muffle it enough that he should be able to watch without being afraid of the sudden explosions.

I am very sensitive to sudden loud noises, and cringed at fireworks for years until someone gave me a pair of earplugs. Now I can watch and enjoy!
We had these for our twins, and they wore them when they were 11 months at Disney World and again the following year. Used them to nap in the stroller while at th park too, worked like a charm! We loved them!!
WDW April '04, WDW May '05, WDW Dec. '07, DCL Wonder May '08, WDW at SSR May '08, WDW at SSR Dec. '08, DLR at GCC Sept. '09, WDW at KVAK Dec. '09, WDW at SSR May '10, WDW at SSR Dec '10, DCL Wonder + 5 days at GCV April '11, WDW at SSR Dec. '11, May '12 at BLT. DCL Dream & SSR Dec '12. SSR/BLT & DCL Dream Dec '13.
DbleTheFun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #14
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Thanks for all the great suggestions! Headphones, unfortunately, are not an option. He had ear tubes for years and so always had to have ear plugs to wash his hair, which if course he hated. So now ear plugs are associated with a hated activity. We are working on accepting head phones but it is not consistent yet. He loves meeting Mickey, loves Monsters Inc and It's a Small World is his favorite ride so those are awesome suggestions! Thanks.
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #15
MichiganMomto4
DIS Veteran

I second Small World - was in there and completely Missed Wishes (though not on purpose).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: