Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Question in regards to passes to the parks.

We are going for 6 days so we have 6 passes but we plan on doing Universal for a day and may not hit a park on our 6th and final day, possibly leaving us with 2 extra tickets each.

Can we go to MK on one ticket for half a day and then use a whole new ticket to go to say Epcot?

Is that possible?
nuge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:21 AM   #2
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

No, as I pointed out on your other thread, if you have base Magic Your Way tickets, you cannot hop (i.e. visit a different park in the same day) and nor can you use two 'days' of your ticket in one day to visit two different parks. It is one park per ticket per day.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 08:26 AM   #3
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuge67 View Post
We are going for 6 days so we have 6 passes but we plan on doing Universal for a day and may not hit a park on our 6th and final day, possibly leaving us with 2 extra tickets each.

Can we go to MK on one ticket for half a day and then use a whole new ticket to go to say Epcot?

Is that possible?
Nope. That is why it costs more to have a park hopper. The only exception would be if you had separate one day tickets. If all 6 days are on the same ticket, the readers will not grant access to the second park without the park hopper option.

You could add the non expire to the tickets and use them another time, but for only 2 days it may not be worth it. From what I see, it would cost an additional $163 to add the no expiration. That is about break even for a 2 day ticket. not sure it is worth it. You can add the park hopper for $57 per ticket, but I'm not sure that is your goal. I assume you are trying to use up the days.

Take a look at the ticket sticky or I'm sure CheshireFigment can provide more exact figures.

mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM   #4
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Nope. That is why it costs more to have a park hopper. The only exception would be if you had separate one day tickets. If all 6 days are on the same ticket, the readers will not grant access to the second park without the park hopper option.

You could add the non expire to the tickets and use them another time, but for only 2 days it may not be worth it. From what I see, it would cost an additional $163 to add the no expiration. That is about break even for a 2 day ticket. not sure it is worth it. You can add the park hopper for $57 per ticket, but I'm not sure that is your goal. I assume you are trying to use up the days.

Take a look at the ticket sticky or I'm sure CheshireFigment can provide more exact figures.
Any idea what the cost would be if I wanted to trade in say 2 park passes for one Park Hopper pass just to maximize those 2 tickets that may in fact go unused?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

Are your tickets part of a package? If so, call reservations or your TA (however you bought your package) and have them changed to four day tickets.
If you already have your tickets, you can't downgrade them. You can add non-expiration to them and keep those extra two days for another trip.
You might want to rethink visiting IOA on this trip and just do six days in the Disney parks.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

It would cost $60.71 (inc tax) to add the 'hopper' option to the tickets you have (based on the current gate prices).

ETA: I'm not quite sure how trading two tickets for one 'hopper' ticket will help you. You will need a ticket for every member of your party since tickets cannot be shared.
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Any idea what the cost would be if I wanted to trade in say 2 park passes for one Park Hopper pass just to maximize those 2 tickets that may in fact go unused?
4 day with PH is $313. 6 day MYW ticket w/o hopper is $278. So an increase of $35 per person to drop to 4 day PH instead of 6 day base tickets.

You are paying more for the 4 day passes, but if you know you will only be going for 4 days, then it may be the best option for you.

Old 11-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #8
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What you first have to realize is that when you get a 6 day pass its not 6 individual tickets. Its one ticket with 6 individual days of use on it.

You can sort of can trade in your ticket for another ticket but its one to one. You could take your 6 day ticket, use it once, to lock in any discounts (thats another thread), and then upgrade the entire ticket for $55 for the PH option (for all the days, its all or nothing) minus $10 for the one day you are "giving back". So around $45 per ticket to make use of that last day.

If this is a Disney package and you are still 45 days out you can call them and have them only sell you a 5 day ticket. I think what you may have done is when you book a package online it automatically gives you a ticket for each day you there. Except for certain issues with the Dining Plan particularly the Free Dining Plan "discount", you can any length of ticket you want and it still be a package.

Last edited by chartle; 11-27-2012 at 08:48 AM.
chartle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #9
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chartle View Post
What you first have to realize is that when you get a 6 day pass its not 6 individual tickets. Its one ticket with 6 individual days of use on it.

You can sort of can trade in your ticket for another ticket but its one to one. You could take your 6 day ticket, use it once, to lock in any discounts (thats another thread), and then upgrade the entire ticket for $55 for the PH option (for all the days, its all or nothing) minus $10 for the one day you are "giving back". So around $45 per ticket to make use of that last day.

If this is a Disney package and you are still 45 days out you can call them and have them only sell you a 5 day ticket. I think what you may have done is when you book a package online it automatically gives you a ticket for each day you there. Except for certain issues with the Dining Plan particularly the Free Dining Plan "discount", you can any length of ticket you want and it still be a package.
So say we call and ask for that 6th ticket to be dropped, what would the actual savings be with 4 of us in our family?
Old 11-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #10
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So say we call and ask for that 6th ticket to be dropped, what would the actual savings be with 4 of us in our family?
$22 per ticket. You can see for yourself on these questions on the disney site.

Old 11-27-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
chartle
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Dropping one "Day" off of a 6 day ticket is around $10 per ticket/person.

I know I'm getting weird about the terminology, but if you say ticket to a CM they will think you are talking about an entire mutli day ticket not one day of a mutli day ticket or really pass.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #12
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

You should definitely call and drop a day from your tickets. It is always smart to buy the shortest possible ticket you might want - because you can always, and easily, add a day to any ticket. But if you don't use a day, it will expire and you've just wasted your money.

Buy five-day passes, and then if you decide you want six days after all, visit Guest Services in any park - before the end of your fifth day - and add one more day for the same rate you would have paid up front.

Oh, and as the PP said, the price for that sixth day is about $10 each ($10.65). So you would save about $40 by dropping it.
Love Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 AM   #13
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

OP, you've gotten some great info already. I will just add that I highly recommend you read the entire ticket sticky at the top of the board. Cheshire Figment does a great job of explaining all the ins and outs of Disney ticketing.

MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:41 AM   #14
Missytara
I'm all ears!

There is a sticky at the top of the board regarding tickets, including a description of each type. I think if you read the description, it will clear up the confusion that you are having about trading off, using two days worth of tickets to park hop, etc.

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #15
mickeyluv'r
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink View Post
Buy five-day passes, and then if you decide you want six days after all, visit Guest Services in any park - before the end of your fifth day - and add one more day for the same rate you would have paid up front.

Oh, and as the PP said, the price for that sixth day is about $10 each ($10.65). So you would save about $40 by dropping it.
The bold part is very important to remember! However, it's pretty easy to find a good time to modify your tickets. Pick a time when the ticket line is short (a.k.a. not first thing in the morning). Also pick a time after you've already used your tickets. (any time after you enter the park the first day, but before the tickets are used up.) Use the GUEST SERVICES booth AT the parks- MK is my favorite of the four major parks. There are guest services booths outside and inside the front gate- just ask for the location.

Still one more suggestion/idea.....on the day you go to Universal....there exists the small possibility that you will ALSO want to go to WDW park that day - if only to see fireworks or eat dinner. Universal has plenty to keep you busy for a day, and plenty of food....but if you have the dining plan - then you may find it best to get back to WDW in time for dinner to use your credits. (no refunds on unused dining credits)

I also think you said you wanted four days of use, not five (per this poster).
mickeyluv'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: