Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #76
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmy3 View Post
Why is it so outrageous that people should be paid a wage based on their skill or education level? Here's a thought, if you want a "living wage" and your Walmart job is giving it to you, go to school get an education and go out and find a job that pays you what you are worth, because the truth is as a stock clerk, or a cashier your skills aren't worth $15 an hour.
Seriously.

I worked at Express when I was in high school for a couple of years. They paid minimum wage. I got raises every year, would expect nothing different. I was either folding/hanging up clothes, or ringing up sales.

Do I believe companies should offer full time employees health insurance? Yes.

Do I believe companies should pay overtime when applicable? Yes.

Other than that, wage is based on experience and job duties.
amg35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #77
Southernmiss
I am hazed everyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
What state are they in? The workers who want $15? Because it really makes a HUGE difference. It is all misplaced outrage from people who don't understand that different areas have different costs, like the hostess employee making 48K a year for GASP "working as a lowly receiving clerk" but we tend to lose sight of the fact that New York has a much higher cost of living then a lot of other places in the US. So while living in Mississippi and making 48K as a clerk or whatnot might seem like a lot of money, living in New York or Massachusetts makes a pretty big difference in pay-scale.

It is all relative folks. If people of Walmart want to stick together and take a stand, I say good for them. Stand up for what you believe in and if you don't like what you have, you need to do what you can to change it. Walmart is a disgusting company. I do not shop there, period. I feel sorry for anyone who does work there, although they could go elsewhere if it is that bad. BUt I am not going to begrudge someone else because they have something they feel strongly about and want to take a stand against something they see as unfair. It is their freedom to do so.

I would rather stick a pen in my eye than participate in Black Friday. I think it is ridiculous. And let us be honest the best deals are going to be closer to Christmas, not the day the retailers can guarantee a huge amount of sales. I;d rather spend time with my family. You could not pay me enough to go shopping with all the people out there this weekend, I'd rather pay double and go when it is less crowded.
Yes, that would be a lot of money for a clerk working in Mississippi. Many degreed professionals--teachers, entry level accountants, etc. do not make this much in Mississippi.

But, while our cost of living is not like that of New York City, I would not consider it a very low cost of living area either.

$15 an hour for Walmart-wow, I can't imagine. I am with those who do not think that minimum wage should be raised. I believe that it would only inflate the prices of other goods and services.

DS is making $8 an hour at American Eagle as a seasonal employee. This is decent for a part time job for a young student. It also teaches him that his higher education is important, because he sees how far $8 an hour does not go.
Southernmiss is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #78
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mefordis View Post
They should. I pay my housekeeper $25/hour.
Your housekeeper is making median HOUSEHOLD income if that's the case.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:02 PM   #79
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kteacher View Post
Great book called "Nickel and Dimed". well worth a read.
Good book.

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #80
mefordis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbo4x4 View Post
Okay.

April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
Old 11-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #81
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
They should. I pay my housekeeper $25/hour.
Why? Why should they be paid $15 an hour?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:07 PM   #82
mefordis

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
Or more. It's only 31k a year! Who can live on that and raise a family?

It's better for everyone if people are doing well and can actually afford to buy things like food, medical services, heat, etc. Why would we want to see folks struggle?

April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
Old 11-23-2012, 11:08 PM   #83
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
We can't because too many people buy their cheap plastic crap at Walmart and Walmart won't pay for US made merchandise when they can outsource it to China. US factories can't compete with slave labor profit margins. Do you see the irony in your post?

Here's another reality. My father last worked for a meat packing plant in rural Minnesota the year I was a senior in high school (1976). His last wage was in the neighborhood of $12-13 an hour, which was a wage that allowed him to buy a home and support his family (not living high on the hog, but not needing government assistance). More than 30 years later, the TOP wage at that same meat packing plant is (gasp) the same as what my Dad made more than 30 years ago! But, hey, we can all buy cheap crap at Walmart and complain about how there are no decent jobs left in America.
mnrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:10 PM   #84
Gumbo4x4
Note to the ladies who forgot to check - we don't mind. Signed, "The guys"

Quote:

It's better for everyone if people are doing well and can actually afford to buy things like food, medical services, heat, etc. Why would we want to see folks struggle?
Nobody's supposed to be supporting a family on a WalMart salary. It's an entry level job, not a "career path".
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #85
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southernmiss View Post
Yes, that would be a lot of money for a clerk working in Mississippi. Many degreed professionals--teachers, entry level accountants, etc. do not make this much in Mississippi.

But, while our cost of living is not like that of New York City, I would not consider it a very low cost of living area either.

$15 an hour for Walmart-wow, I can't imagine. I am with those who do not think that minimum wage should be raised. I believe that it would only inflate the prices of other goods and services.

DS is making $8 an hour at American Eagle as a seasonal employee. This is decent for a part time job for a young student. It also teaches him that his higher education is important, because he sees how far $8 an hour does not go.
That is the point. The cost of living is different. You can't see the forest for the trees. Making 15 bucks an hour in NY is not going to be enough to get an apartment. In Mississippi you would be able to have a place to live and put food on the table. Different areas require different wages if people want to have a roof over their head and food on the table. So you (general you here) can't balk at someone making a certain wage if you can't comprehend that their state requires a much higher wage to survive.

A new grad RN in Florida can start at 18-20 bucks an hour. But how much for rent?

A new gran RN in NYC can start at 38-42 an hour. How much for rent?

Every state has its own wage range relative to costs of living. So a nurse working in FL might think a nurse in NYC is way overpaid, but if they tried living there they would see the difference.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #86
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:

You can't raise a family and be a cashier. That's the truth unfortunately. Now I lived on 31k a year when I was first starting out, but that was a job out of college and I was on my own.

Now a waitress....I have a few friends who make awesome money, but they get tips and work at nice restaurants.

If wages go up, prices go up....you know the cycle.....
Old 11-23-2012, 11:11 PM   #87
dakcp2001

Quote:
Not in New Jersey!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #88
mefordis

Quote:
Nobody's supposed to be supporting a family on a WalMart salary. It's an entry level job, not a "career path".
But many people do have to support a family on that. It's a fact. $15 / hour would not support a family anyway. It's still poverty.

April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 PM   #89
amg35
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You said what I wanted to say, but better. Thanks!
Old 11-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #90
dakcp2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by amg35 View Post
Maybe they live in NYC? Where 15 bucks an hour is on the low end. But of course, we are all speculating here on what we think is right, from our own little corners of the universe.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: