Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #61
Becky2005
I actually thought they made Leg Warmers to keep your legs WARM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
Then they had an interview with a Walmart Executive and that Carol Whatshername from CNN was yelling at him because WalMart is not providing Middle Class wages and health care to all its employees. I cannot even imagine the ruckus that would ensue the day WalMart and all the other retailers raised their prices high enough to pay middle class wages to their part-time cashiers and stock people. There would be panic and protests from coast to coast if that happened.
I just heard on the news that someone was saying they thought that Wal-Mart should pay ALL employees $15/hour!!!!! It was supposedly as striking worker said that is how much they should be paying all employees. I don't know *any* retail store that pays that as a starting wage! At least not around here, it is basically minimum wage -- that goes for Target, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc... I can't think of a single one that would say pay their cashiers $15/hour. It is hard enough to find a retail job around here as it is and that is with min. wage or slightly above.

Becky2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:59 PM   #62
Kteacher
Not your average kindergarten teacher
Judge Judy stole my iced tea!
REALLY good at keeping secrets

Why is it so outrageous that people should be paid a living wage

Kteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 06:10 PM   #63
donaldlovesdaisy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky2005 View Post
I just heard on the news that someone was saying they thought that Wal-Mart should pay ALL employees $15/hour!!!!! It was supposedly as striking worker said that is how much they should be paying all employees. I don't know *any* retail store that pays that as a starting wage! At least not around here, it is basically minimum wage -- that goes for Target, Wal-Mart, Kohl's, Best Buy, Home Depot, etc... I can't think of a single one that would say pay their cashiers $15/hour. It is hard enough to find a retail job around here as it is and that is with min. wage or slightly above.
I know of a few college grads who aren't making that right now so I am not sure why a Wal-Mart employee who has little to no lucrative skills things they should be making that.
donaldlovesdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:12 PM   #64
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

If Walmart isn't a minimum wage paying job, what is?
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:13 PM   #65
Reddy
Scrapbooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kteacher View Post
because if they paid more than miniwage for a HS student first job - why would any of them want a better job??
how do you think they keep cost low?? if first job or part-timers got a "living wage" - how long until that isn't enough??

Wal-mart isn't place to raise a family on unless you get into mangement - why people keep thinking they can is belong me - but then it seems like everyone wants a job where they do nothing & get paid big bucks

this country needs to be making things instead of importing them - quit sending the jobs to China
Old 11-23-2012, 06:18 PM   #66
Kteacher

Great book called "Nickel and Dimed". well worth a read.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #67
RitaE
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great book called "Nickel and Dimed". well worth a read.
Actually I read that years ago and found it inherently flawed.
RitaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #68
Kteacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitaE View Post
Actually I read that years ago and found it inherently flawed.
Well then I guess we can agree to disagree

Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #69
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America

Quote:
Living wage is a term that is nearly impossible to define. There have been some long debates on this board, with numerous examples of people making near minimum wage and living just fine, to folks living paycheck to paycheck on $125,000 a year. So, I don't see a point to debate that again, but here is what I like about how Walmart's hiring practices differ from the other stores here.

1) Actively recruiting those with physical and mental disabilities.

2) Actively recruiting those who are well past retirement age, but either want to work, or need the extra cash.

3) Actively recruiting those who have never worked before.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:25 PM   #70
JessicaR
DIS Veteran
I wanna shoot aliens in the AM too!
The Grinch is rude in a funny sorta way
run to the hams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
Living wage is a term that is nearly impossible to define. There have been some long debates on this board, with numerous examples of people making near minimum wage and living just fine, to folks living paycheck to paycheck on $125,000 a year. So, I don't see a point to debate that again, but here is what I like about how Walmart's hiring practices differ from the other stores here.

1) Actively recruiting those with physical and mental disabilities.

2) Actively recruiting those who are well past retirement age, but either want to work, or need the extra cash.

3) Actively recruiting those who have never worked before.
I like these practices too!
JessicaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:22 PM   #71
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Why is it so outrageous that people should be paid a wage based on their skill or education level? Here's a thought, if you want a "living wage" and your Walmart job is giving it to you, go to school get an education and go out and find a job that pays you what you are worth, because the truth is as a stock clerk, or a cashier your skills aren't worth $15 an hour.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #72
Muushka
I usually feel like I just stepped in it
I do love to see a cat while on vacation
Well hot-diggity-dog, another Groupie!

I don't know about anyone else, but many years ago, when minimum wage was just that, minimum $$, I received the basis of my resume. Because the grocery store didn't have to pay me a lot of money (I started out at $1.60 an hour and was grateful for the job), they were able to hire HS students who wanted to work and were willing to work for minimum wage.

Because back then stores could afford to hire 2 HS students for the price of 1 full timer, I gained valuable experience. I learned work ethics, responsibility, customer service and a host of other skills. I learned what a job was and what I had to do to keep it.

How is the raising of minimum wage working out for HS students today?
Are all students who would love to have a job able to work part-time?

And in case anyone has dreams that everyone receive this so called 'living wage' which would change each and every day depending on who is determining this elusive number, no matter how much you dream that 'the man' that is the one who owns the business will take a cut in profit. Wake up. Not going to happen. The business will either raise prices or shut down.

~Remember 9/11/2012
~The IRS. Today it's 'them', tomorrow it's YOU!
~I would rather be governed by the first 50 names in the Boston telephone book
than by the professors at Harvard. ~William F. Buckley Jr.
Muushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:49 PM   #73
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
What state are they in? The workers who want $15? Because it really makes a HUGE difference. It is all misplaced outrage from people who don't understand that different areas have different costs, like the hostess employee making 48K a year for GASP "working as a lowly receiving clerk" but we tend to lose sight of the fact that New York has a much higher cost of living then a lot of other places in the US. So while living in Mississippi and making 48K as a clerk or whatnot might seem like a lot of money, living in New York or Massachusetts makes a pretty big difference in pay-scale.

It is all relative folks. If people of Walmart want to stick together and take a stand, I say good for them. Stand up for what you believe in and if you don't like what you have, you need to do what you can to change it. Walmart is a disgusting company. I do not shop there, period. I feel sorry for anyone who does work there, although they could go elsewhere if it is that bad. BUt I am not going to begrudge someone else because they have something they feel strongly about and want to take a stand against something they see as unfair. It is their freedom to do so.

I would rather stick a pen in my eye than participate in Black Friday. I think it is ridiculous. And let us be honest the best deals are going to be closer to Christmas, not the day the retailers can guarantee a huge amount of sales. I;d rather spend time with my family. You could not pay me enough to go shopping with all the people out there this weekend, I'd rather pay double and go when it is less crowded.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #74
mefordis
Imitation: the sincerest form of flattery

Quote:
They should. I pay my housekeeper $25/hour.

Oct 2013 Boardwalk Villas
Aug 2010 Wilderness Lodge
May 2009 DLR Grand Californian
April 2008 POFQ
Aug 2007 - Condo
May 2007 Yacht Club
Sept 2006 CSR/POR
mefordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:59 PM   #75
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
because if they paid more than miniwage for a HS student first job - why would any of them want a better job??
how do you think they keep cost low?? if first job or part-timers got a "living wage" - how long until that isn't enough??

Wal-mart isn't place to raise a family on unless you get into mangement - why people keep thinking they can is belong me - but then it seems like everyone wants a job where they do nothing & get paid big bucks

this country needs to be making things instead of importing them - quit sending the jobs to China
We can't because too many people buy their cheap plastic crap at Walmart and Walmart won't pay for US made merchandise when they can outsource it to China. US factories can't compete with slave labor profit margins. Do you see the irony in your post?
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: