Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #31
mnrose
DIS Veteran

The whole Black Friday thing is ridiculous. I am doing my part. I REFUSE to shop on Black Friday, and I most certainly will not shop for Christmas presents on Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving is about being with your family. We have, unfortunately, forgotten the true meaning of the holidays and are all out trying our best to buy meaningless trinkets. Sad.

And, does anyone thing that those early shoppers are "winning" anything. I don't. The real winners are the stores....not the shoppers.
mnrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #32
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooh67_68 View Post

The only reasons the stores are doing it, is because its what a good portion of the consumers want. Stop blaming the stores.

I've seen this same photo posted on facebook. It bugged me then, and it bugs me now. Unfortunately, protecting America doesn't take holidays...it can't. Nor can caring for sick people (doctors, nurses, hospital staff) take a holiday. And, I thank God that there are people who do these jobs, and do them well. On the other hand, retail CAN and SHOULD take a holiday. There is no "necessary" work that needs to be carried out by Walmart or Target. And, to make the comparison between the two is absurd.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 08:44 PM   #33
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnrose View Post
I've seen this same photo posted on facebook. It bugged me then, and it bugs me now. Unfortunately, protecting America doesn't take holidays...it can't. Nor can caring for sick people (doctors, nurses, hospital staff) take a holiday. And, I thank God that there are people who do these jobs, and do them well. On the other hand, retail CAN and SHOULD take a holiday. There is no "necessary" work that needs to be carried out by Walmart or Target. And, to make the comparison between the two is absurd.
Who are you to say what is necessary for them? Sorry not everyone celebrates Thanksgiving, not everyone wants or even needs to spend the whole entire day with family. You want to, fine go for it, but please don't assume your opinion is the right one for all of us.
Don't want to work, don't go into a field where it is required. Don't want to shop, then don't.
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #34
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Would you say the same about restaurants, theaters and themeparks?
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM   #35
mnrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planogirl View Post
Would you say the same about restaurants, theaters and themeparks?

Yes. I believe that people should be allowed to celebrate the few national holidays we have in this country...unless their work is essential or necessary. And, no, the above do not fall in that category. And, if people are made to work on those days I think they can complain all they want, without others rolling their eyes and claiming they are somehow whiners.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:43 AM   #36
Kteacher
Not your average kindergarten teacher
Judge Judy stole my iced tea!
REALLY good at keeping secrets

To get back to the title of this thread.... Robert Reich wrote an excellent piece on this subject. Google his name and Walmart and you should be able to find it

Kteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:11 AM   #37
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie

Quote:

So what makes retail employees so special that they should have the day off, but not doctors, nursers, first responder or the military?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:19 AM   #38
Tink-aholic
DIS Veteran

I often go to the movies on Thanksgiving (and went last night). Lots of people there. No one is creating petitions or thinking of striking over them. I also have eaten my Thanksgiving dinner out at a restaurant, bought gas at a gas station, filled a prescription at a pharmacy...no one said "boo" until the retail people started whining.

Honestly, with all of the people out of work, I would think that they shouldn't make such a stink in this economy. They know what type of industry they are in and know what it involves when they accept the job.
Tink-aholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #39
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

Quote:
So what makes retail employees so special that they should have the day off, but not doctors, nursers, first responder or the military?
The latter folk are saving/protecting/defending lives?
Old 11-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #40
laura.anne
Mouseketeer

Quote:
There is a big difference between going to Target or Cracker Barrel on Thanksgiving and going to the ER on Thanksgiving...
laura.anne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #41
Christopher Robin
DIS Veteran

Try to describe the ocean to a well frog.
Christopher Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:43 AM   #42
joviroxx
rectally reporters television produce

I said it on another thread but heck, Ill say it again.(which is what led to my unfortunate episode with autocorrect and a completely wackadoodle tag LOL) While you are watching tv, are you thinking about the folks working the tv stations. How about those football games? Are you thinking about the football players, cheerleaders, referees, food vendors and all the rest of them that are away from their families?

Non essential workers have always worked on Thanksgiving. And I can bet there are a ton of folks without jobs that would LOVE to be working at ANY time during the holiday in order to provide for their families.

Does it suck to have to work on a holiday? Yep, Im sure it does. I just don't get the sudden outrage when people have always worked on Thanksgiving.

As far as losing touch with what holidays are all about, that's been going on for a long time. Just look at Christmas. Besides, holidays are what you make of them. Personally, I don't shop Black Friday or Thanksgiving. But with the economy the way it is, I don't blame people for wanting to find great deals. And really, I have seen families that make it a huge family event. They do it TOGETHER. Its a tradition and a different way to spend the holiday. Some go to football games, some will spend the day together shopping for themselves and other family members. Who is to say the only way to spend a family holiday is at home?

Last edited by joviroxx; 11-23-2012 at 08:56 AM.
joviroxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #43
happygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The only reasons the stores are doing it, is because its what a good portion of the consumers want. Stop blaming the stores.
happygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:23 AM   #44
VeganCupcake
Almost an Expert

Location: Palm Springs, Fl - about 2.5 hours away from The Most Magical Place On Earth!

My Aunt works at Walmart so she could not be at Thanksgiving yesterday(she had to rest up for the big push). She was disappointed she wouldn't be with us, but happy for the extra pay..... until she found out her hours have been cut for this paycheck period so the paycheck will even out regardless. I'm not saying it is standard practice at every store, but for her it's pretty crappy, and she's been there 9 years. And she will do & say nothing about it because she is too scared to lose her job, because of "there are a bunch of people who would love your job" line that is shoved her & her coworkers faces anytime they complain about any of Walmart's practices. The icing on the cake is the chaotic way Walmart puts their employees at risk by not having some sort of ticket system in place for the "hot" items(just saw the other Disboards youtube thread). Just makes me upset.
Old 11-23-2012, 09:36 AM   #45
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by joviroxx View Post
I said it on another thread but heck, Ill say it again.(which is what led to my unfortunate episode with autocorrect and a completely wackadoodle tag LOL) While you are watching tv, are you thinking about the folks working the tv stations. How about those football games? Are you thinking about the football players, cheerleaders, referees, food vendors and all the rest of them that are away from their families?

Non essential workers have always worked on Thanksgiving. And I can bet there are a ton of folks without jobs that would LOVE to be working at ANY time during the holiday in order to provide for their families.

Does it suck to have to work on a holiday? Yep, Im sure it does. I just don't get the sudden outrage when people have always worked on Thanksgiving.

As far as losing touch with what holidays are all about, that's been going on for a long time. Just look at Christmas. Besides, holidays are what you make of them. Personally, I don't shop Black Friday or Thanksgiving. But with the economy the way it is, I don't blame people for wanting to find great deals. And really, I have seen families that make it a huge family event. They do it TOGETHER. Its a tradition and a different way to spend the holiday. Some go to football games, some will spend the day together shopping for themselves and other family members. Who is to say the only way to spend a family holiday is at home?
luvmy3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: