Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:31 AM   #16
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.
 
denisenh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
This is the only way to change things. Walmart is just doing what all their competitors are doing, because this is what millions of shoppers want.

And if you don't want to work Thanksgiving (or other holidays) don't work in an industry that requires it. And I feel I can say this as I sit at work right on, my 33rd consecutive Thanksgiving working, at least the 33rd straight for my wife.
Well, I don't know about that. You do what you have to do and it is often with no choice.
(and I have worked my share (25 years+) of holidays as a floor nurse and didn't gripe about it) Now I am in an office!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kteacher View Post
Speaking as someone who has worked retail for over thirty years, I'm glad that people are paying attention to the fact that we are losing touch with what some holidays are about. I have worked over thirty BFs, and the past few years have become crazier and crazier to work. I remember one BF about three years ago when I actually was afraid I was going to get trampled as shoppers pushed their way past the mgr. opening the doors at 4 a.m.
I'm lucky that this year the retail store I work p/t for is not opening until 6 a.m. tomorrow. I know some will say that other professions always work holidays, but I really don't see getting a good price on a pre-lit Christmas tree or an electronic device as being important enough to keep people away from spending time with their families.
Just my .02 cents
I agree with this.

And as for my thoughts on the Walmart walk out, I have many.
I am old enough to remember when stores were closed on Sundays. And over the years family life has taken a back seat to corporations and the all mighty dollar.
In my opinion that was the beginning of much of what we are seeing now as far as people mattering less and less. There are arguments to be made all around and I get that. Everyone has their own thoughts and these are mine.
Very few people these days are willing and / or able to take a stand in order to make any kind of impact or change. If you do you are labeled a whiner or a trouble maker or word/phrase of your choice.
Good luck to those willing to take a stand for what they believe in. It will take years for change to be made and most people can't see beyond the tip of their own nose nowadays.
__________________
denisenh
denisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
Albort
ODV Crew
The challenge is - who can find me?
 
Albort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 7,164

Im sure there is enough workers who will want to work holidays. I heard that target employees, a lot of them volunteer to work holidays. I worked every single holiday for the past 5 years... christmas, new years eve, Thanksgiving, 4th of July, etc. I must say, i really enjoy the OT pay we get...
__________________
"Me failed inglish? thats unpossible!" - Ralph Wiggums
Albort is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-22-2012, 02:29 PM   #18
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,093

I work retail, and I think the sympathy is misplaced. Most of us know going in we will work some crazy hours. It is part of the job. Where is the sympathy because we have to work weekends and miss that time with our families? Why is there no outcry over that?

I really don't get the whole They deserve to spend time with their family argument. The people that fly airplanes don't deserve that time? The ones who work at WDW don't? Do any of the other thousands of jobs that require working on holidays somehow not deserve that time with their families?
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #19
Minerva Mouse
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
I no longer have eyebrows. I have bushes!
 
Minerva Mouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,354

I thought the strike was more about benefits and safety (didn't an employee die one year from a stamped of consumers?) and the workers decided to have the strike when it would hurt the retail giant the most, black Friday.
Minerva Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #20
Acklander
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Gypsy
Posts: 5,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse View Post
I thought the strike was more about benefits and safety (didn't an employee die one year from a stamped of consumers?) and the workers decided to have the strike when it would hurt the retail giant the most, black Friday.
I believe it's about unsafe conditions in the warehouse and never getting enough hours to qualify for benefits. they are picking black Friday as the day it will have the most impact. Since many are unable to strike because they are in a right to work state many customers are planning to avoid Walmart in solidarity with the workers. Personally, I'm passing on the whole black Friday thing and focusing on buying American and patronizing the small mom and pop type places for this Christmas season.
__________________
Acklander
Acklander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:12 PM   #21
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.
 
denisenh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minerva Mouse View Post
I thought the strike was more about benefits and safety (didn't an employee die one year from a stamped of consumers?) and the workers decided to have the strike when it would hurt the retail giant the most, black Friday.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acklander View Post
I believe it's about unsafe conditions in the warehouse and never getting enough hours to qualify for benefits. they are picking black Friday as the day it will have the most impact. Since many are unable to strike because they are in a right to work state many customers are planning to avoid Walmart in solidarity with the workers. Personally, I'm passing on the whole black Friday thing and focusing on buying American and patronizing the small mom and pop type places for this Christmas season.

http://signon.org/sign/rob-walton-re...d&r_by=6206821
__________________
denisenh

Last edited by denisenh; 11-22-2012 at 03:41 PM.
denisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #22
PixieDust32
♥ Live ♥ Love♥ Disney ♥
 
PixieDust32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Flowery Branch GA
Posts: 12,396

__________________
Etsy ID: Pixiecrafts.

Instagram: roxyy39

Last edited by PixieDust32; 11-22-2012 at 03:32 PM.
PixieDust32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #23
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders
 
maxiesmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The West side of the mitten
Posts: 21,093

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisenh View Post
Hmm. Again, as someone who has worked retail a long time, we never feel we have "sufficient staffing". And "regular hours" are not going to happen. And many people wouldn't like them. One great thing about retail is the flexible hours. You can make a Dr appointment for a Wednesday morning, and know it won't be a problem. You just work later at night, or on the weekend to make up for it.

A safe work place should be a given.

Can I comment on the JCP thing? I know someone who works for JCP, and not at a store level, but higher up. While they may claim they are not opening earlier so that their employees can spend time with their families, in reality it is because they know they can't compete with the crazy sale prices of the other retailers. Though saying it is all for the few associates they have left sounds better. JCP has not been very caring for their associates sense the change.
__________________
maxiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:30 PM   #24
rainydayplay
DIS Veteran
 
rainydayplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisenh View Post
And as for my thoughts on the Walmart walk out, I have many.
I am old enough to remember when stores were closed on Sundays. And over the years family life has taken a back seat to corporations and the all mighty dollar.
This, to me, is something of a catch-22. Somewhere along the way, a company stayed open a little later, and, lo and behold, people came in and spent money. Other companies saw what that one was doing and that it worked, so they extended their hours. Soon enough, you had businesses that stayed open past 5pm, stayed open on Sundays and holidays, and stayed open all night. And people came and shopped and validated those companies' decisions to stay open during those times.

Mom (eeyore344 here) works at Walmart (no unions here, though.) There was a day an uncle came in on a holiday and made some comment like how it was a shame that it was a holiday and she was working her response to him was, "If it weren't for people like you who come in and shop on a holiday, companies like this wouldn't be open." Which is true. (But, then, if stores/businesses like that weren't open, we'd just have to stay home.) Mom gets next to no holidays off (she asked for Labor Day and got it, but she only asked for it because my DD was out of school and my school system was in session on Labor Day, the daycare that she goes to when I have to work was also closed, so somebody had to be off that day.)

Also, I had a friend once that had moved from a city out West to a relatively small (yet relatively progressive) town here in the South. He couldn't stand it because if you wanted to go do something in the city, there was always something open, 24-7. Most everything in the small town closed by 9, midnight at the latest. You couldn't explain that this set up was just how it was, and that it was NORMAL for the area.

I think, to an extent, I like the way that Walmart is doing the sale this year. Staggered...with the things I'm interested in at 8 tonight, which is still fairly reasonable of a time to be out. The big items that everyone would usually be fighting over at 5am are now going out at 10, with the guarantee that, if you are in the store during that first hour, you'll be able to get the item by Christmas at that price (three of those items, anyway...) Plus, many of the stores are already 24 hours and have been open on Thanksgiving for years. Just a shock for us this year that they made department managers (like Mom) work. She's been there for an hour and a half already, will get off at 8 tonight, then go back at 430 in the morning.
__________________
rainydayplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:49 PM   #25
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.
 
denisenh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,084

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainydayplay View Post
This, to me, is something of a catch-22. Somewhere along the way, a company stayed open a little later, and, lo and behold, people came in and spent money. Other companies saw what that one was doing and that it worked, so they extended their hours. Soon enough, you had businesses that stayed open past 5pm, stayed open on Sundays and holidays, and stayed open all night. And people came and shopped and validated those companies' decisions to stay open during those times.

Mom (eeyore344 here) works at Walmart (no unions here, though.) There was a day an uncle came in on a holiday and made some comment like how it was a shame that it was a holiday and she was working her response to him was, "If it weren't for people like you who come in and shop on a holiday, companies like this wouldn't be open." Which is true. (But, then, if stores/businesses like that weren't open, we'd just have to stay home.) Mom gets next to no holidays off (she asked for Labor Day and got it, but she only asked for it because my DD was out of school and my school system was in session on Labor Day, the daycare that she goes to when I have to work was also closed, so somebody had to be off that day.)

Also, I had a friend once that had moved from a city out West to a relatively small (yet relatively progressive) town here in the South. He couldn't stand it because if you wanted to go do something in the city, there was always something open, 24-7. Most everything in the small town closed by 9, midnight at the latest. You couldn't explain that this set up was just how it was, and that it was NORMAL for the area.

I think, to an extent, I like the way that Walmart is doing the sale this year. Staggered...with the things I'm interested in at 8 tonight, which is still fairly reasonable of a time to be out. The big items that everyone would usually be fighting over at 5am are now going out at 10, with the guarantee that, if you are in the store during that first hour, you'll be able to get the item by Christmas at that price (three of those items, anyway...) Plus, many of the stores are already 24 hours and have been open on Thanksgiving for years. Just a shock for us this year that they made department managers (like Mom) work. She's been there for an hour and a half already, will get off at 8 tonight, then go back at 430 in the morning.
different strokes. i personally am not interested in going shopping and even less interested in fighting for something that I probably don't need.
i hope your mom sleeps well though!
__________________
denisenh
denisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #26
rainydayplay
DIS Veteran
 
rainydayplay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 683

Quote:
Originally Posted by denisenh View Post
different strokes. i personally am not interested in going shopping and even less interested in fighting for something that I probably don't need.
i hope your mom sleeps well though!
I really just like going for the $4 character pajamas...my DD always needs pajamas. Usually, I see things I want, set a time for myself (like, say, 8 am), and, well, if it's not there by the time I get there, it isn't meant for me to have it. 2 years ago, they had the DS Lite on sale for $80 or so, and they still had a whole case full in the color I wanted when I got there. Last year, I wanted a camera (which was Mom's Christmas gift for me, but they can't shop while they're on the clock.) When I got there around 8:00, there was ONE left.

Mom will probably not sleep until she gets home around noon tomorrow.
__________________
rainydayplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:36 PM   #27
Pooh67_68
My head looked like a brillo pad
DH gave me roses ... just because :)
Someone please take pity on me, and send me a small piece of pecan pie
 
Pooh67_68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 5 miles from Pocono Raceway.
Posts: 47,012



The only reasons the stores are doing it, is because its what a good portion of the consumers want. Stop blaming the stores.
__________________
Heidi
Pooh67_68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #28
willowsnn3
Tagless but proud
 
willowsnn3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Jonesboro, Ga.
Posts: 27,008

Love your post, lol. Last Thanksgiving my 2 daughters and I were at Family Dollar at 8am on Thanksgiving Day. Back home in time to put the meal on the table. Then off to Kohl's at midnight.
This year we're just staying in.
__________________
Susan

Book Challenge Goal 30/72
willowsnn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #29
Kteacher
Not your average kindergarten teacher
Judge Judy stole my iced tea!
REALLY good at keeping secrets
 
Kteacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Ma
Posts: 5,674

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
Hmm. Again, as someone who has worked retail a long time, we never feel we have "sufficient staffing". And "regular hours" are not going to happen. And many people wouldn't like them. One great thing about retail is the flexible hours. You can make a Dr appointment for a Wednesday morning, and know it won't be a problem. You just work later at night, or on the weekend to make up for it.

A safe work place should be a given.

Can I comment on the JCP thing? I know someone who works for JCP, and not at a store level, but higher up. While they may claim they are not opening earlier so that their employees can spend time with their families, in reality it is because they know they can't compete with the crazy sale prices of the other retailers. Though saying it is all for the few associates they have left sounds better. JCP has not been very caring for their associates sense the change.
I've worked for JCP p/t for 18 years. They (mgt.) have actually treated employees quite well. It has been a good organization to work for for the most part. In the store I work employees who celebrate the traditional polish Christmas Eve are always given the time off without question. Not only have I never been turned down for any time off request, mgt. has always been great about working around my crazy schedule. In addition, JCP allowed a union photographer to do a photo shoot for a national union magazine that was doing an article on me (long story). The company has had its ups and downs over the past two decades I've been there, but for the most part I've been treated fairly.
__________________
DXL '99, DXL '01, CR '02, CR '03, CR '04, CR '05, Poly '06 CR '06, CR '07, Poly '08,Poly June '09, Poly Oct. '09,Poly '10, Poly '11, Beach Club '12,Boardwalk '14

Kteacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 PM   #30
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples
 
DebbieB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: PA
Posts: 45,375

We were talking about this at dinner, my niece works at Walmart. They are open 24/7 except for Christmas Day. So they were always open on Thanksgiving. She said no one is planning to strike at her store, she's excited about overtime and getting a shopping bonus (20% off).
__________________
DebbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.