Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 AM   #1
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Question Christmas week survival help

We are planning on going to WDW Dec 26, 2013-Jan 1 in 2014. We normally try to stay away from high crowded weeks but due to kids different school schedules it is either summer or Christmas week.

I would love to hear about others experiences and survival tips for navigating theme parks during this time.
What above NYE do you really need to go in early and stay all day? We don't normally stay in parks all day we always take a break. Are the fireworks only at midnight NYE or do they have two showings?

That being said we have been to WDW about 25 times and it isn't like we aren't going back and have to do everything, however, we are going with family with a 3 and 2 yr old and probably will be spending lots of time in Fantasyland or seeing shows in HS

I am sure there are other threads out there asking the same thing but I can never get the search function to work on this board

TY

Last edited by Happy99; 11-23-2012 at 09:39 AM.
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
tksbaskets
DIS Veteran

Hi,
This is always our time to travel! DH is a teacher. Replies in blue below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy99 View Post
We are planning on going to WDW Dec 26-Jan 1 in 2013. We normally try to stay away from high crowded weeks but due to kids different school schedules it is either summer or Christmas week.

I would love to hear about others experiences and survival tips for navigating theme parks during this time.
What above NYE do you really need to go in early and stay all day? We don't normally stay in parks all day we always take a break. Are the fireworks only at midnight NYE or do they have two showings?

Are you a Disney Resort guest? If so you may be able to leave and get back but with the transportation being super crowded I'd avoid that. If you get in by noon you should be OK. The special fireworks are ONLY at midnight on NYE but at EPCOT, DHS, and MK! EPCOT seems to feel less crowded. Depends on if fireworks at the castle are your thing. I've seen people stake their spots with blankets at 10 am. I say "CRAZY".

That being said we have been to WDW about 25 times and it isn't like we aren't going back and have to do everything, however, we are going with family with a 3 and 2 yr old and probably will be spending lots of time in Fantasyland or seeing shows in HS

I am sure there are other threads out there asking the same thing but I can never get the search function to work on this board

TY
I did a TR from 2010 if you want to peek for crowd levels etc. We almost always take advantage of early entry.

Hope this helps.

TK
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
rebelbuddhist
Mouseketeer

It's great (or can be with the right attitude)

My wife and I have been at Christmas time every year for the past 4, but can't be there Christmas 2012 because of surgeries. Do you mean you will be there in Dec, 2013 or this Dec and leaving Jan 1, 20113? In another thread, I suggested starting 2013 planning if you mean Dec 2013. Anyway, we have found the crowds very large but very manageable if you PLAN. Last year (2011) the weather was great and light jackets were all we ever needed even at MK at 1 am. The year before it was COLD and our pictures look like we were in the arctic bundled in fleeces with hats, gloves, scarfs! So the weather can be tricky..... need to take layers that be added/taken off as needed.
We usually arrived at rope drop or shortly after and did a lot before the crowds arrived. Then we enjoyed a two-three hour LEISURELY meal in the early afternoon at a table service. We actually spent three hours on the porch at Tony's last year and saw the afternoon parade while eating ever so slowly. Of course, we tipped well and waitpersons NEVER hurried us out. Then after this break we were ready for more hours in the park. Did the same at EPCOT, HS, and AK.
Since you have young kids this probably won't work unless they would happen to fall asleep???? We also made use of the EMH especially at MK and HS. After 9 or 10, lots of people clear out especially those with young ones and that probably means you.. Sorry. MK from 11 pm to 2 am one night meant absolutely no lines for anything. Of course, also that means very limited counter service for food.
rebelbuddhist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #4
Happy99
DIS Veteran

Thank you - yes I meant dec 2013 into Jan 1 2014
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: