Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #16
KPeveler
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: 6 miles from Disneyland
Posts: 4,024
DISboards Moderator

I want to second the suggestion of looking into Make A Wish - you get services that are not available to the general population. For example, most people stay at Give Kids the World Village, where they are equipped to handle a medically complex child.

You should know there is a standard Meet and Greet on Main Street for Mickey and Minnie. Check with CMs at the entrance of the line to make sure Minnie is there.

Also, there will be a standard Meet and Greet somewhere for princesses, and again, a CM will likely be able to tell you if Cinderella is there.

I would have each child pick her Number One thing to do, so that no one goes home disappointed or feels left out. This means that everyone gets a turn and you do not drive yourself crazy going in circles in the park.

I also think you should only do Magic Kingdom, given the ages of the kids. If you try to do too much, you will just be tired and disappointed and crazy. Come up with a plan and try to relax and enjoy!
__________________
~Katy~

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
KPeveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:16 AM   #17
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire
 
Shelly F - Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Erie Shore Line in Ohio
Posts: 6,519

You might want to check out Undercover Tourist for tickets. They are highly reputable company. Lots of us on here have purchased tickets from them including me. In fact this is the only place I get our tickets from because they have great deals. They currently have a deal if you buy a 3 day ticket you get the 4th day free! And the different in price is that its only $80 more for this deal compared to buying a 2 day ticket from Disney. So for $256 dollars you can get 4 days to visit the parks verses $176 for a two day ticket.

Here is their link

http://www.undercovertourist.com/orl...s/tickets.html

Also subscribe to the Mousesavers newsletter and they often times have good discounts

here is the link

http://www.mousesavers.com/
__________________
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas-Please stand clear of the doors.


CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014

Last edited by Shelly F - Ohio; 11-24-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-24-2012, 08:49 AM   #18
kellyw8863
DIS Veteran
 
kellyw8863's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 644

Hi Terra! I'm THRILLED that you guys are going to be able to do this. I know that you all have had a difficult year. Having done Disney with mito, I agree with the others who said to focus on only one park for the two days. We found the experience to be entirely overwhelming for Ali, and when we started off trying to do way too much, we had many problems. Once we slowed down and took things as they came, things went way better.

In terms of where to go, MK is THE park if you need to choose only one day, but we found AK to be the best in terms of accommodating our needs even though we were on a Wish trip. MK was good, but we had to be a bit more assertive in using Ali's GAC. Granted it was very crowded the day that we went, so that could have had something to do with it. We never did make it to either EPCOT or Hollywood Studios.

I also agree with the others who said contact MAW. As long as Kendall's issues are considered life threatening or life limiting (that's the criteria in MA - different states have different criteria), she will qualify, and I know she will qualify based on mito and what she's been through. We did self-refer (and struggled with the decision - it partly had to do with the fact that we had a 17 year old foster son with his 18th birthday coming up and we wanted him to be eligible to attend), and I'm glad we did. Ali's mito doc called us after he received the paperwork and said he was glad we made the call, because he had assumed that we already had been referred. He felt badly that we hadn't and was thrilled for us.

Best of luck with your planning, and don't hesitate to either message me here or on FB, and I'll help you however I can!
__________________
Kelly (Me - Mom) - Old Garth (DH - Dad) - Not Quite as Old

Maya (DD) - 9 Ali (DD - Wishkid) - 7


kellyw8863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 02:59 PM   #19
terratalking
Earning My Ears
 
terratalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 36

Seriously - you people are all so awesome! SO much good info here!

So after looking at the different park attractions a little bit more - I think Magic Kingdom will be THE place to be! None of my girls have a clue what WDW even really entails - so I'm going to do most of the "logistical" planning about things to see and do - and then once we tell them on Christmas, I'll let them help narrow it down or prioritize what each of them most want.

I still feel like i have so many "annoying" little questions and not nearly enough time to search old threads!

Food: I know we can bring in "snacks" (and i would assume we could bring Kendall's TPN/fluids/tube feeding stuff). Pretty sure I won't have nearly enough time to set up a dining plan - is that a necessity? Can we determine which meals we will eat inside the park and then just go to that restaurant? Or should we look into making reservations ahead of time? I've heard about the "refillable cups" also - is that a good recommendation?

Photos: How do we get the Photopass CD thing? (I'm sure there's a thread about that somewhere here! Just trying to organize my questions in my own head!)

Weather?: For anyone who has gone in January - is it rainy? Freezing? What should I pack for the kids clothing wise - shorts and sweatshirts? Or full on jeans/sweaters, etc? (we live in Chicago - January = I want to hibernate from the freezing wind and sub-zero temps).

Oh so many questions....

Thank you for letting me just keep getting them out here so i have my own "list" to refer back to!

I may have a conversation with her doctors next week about MAW. Since I have to still get clearance for her to be able to travel, it is probably a good conversation to have. Thank you for those who are encouraging me to look into it. I appreciate the information!

Thank you so much!

Terra
__________________
Trip Dreams are Made of for my beautiful girls:
Kealey Grace - 11 yrs old, Karissa Lynn - 9yrs old, Kaylen Hope - 6 yrs old, and Kendall Quinn - 4 yrs old, brave mito warrior


To read more about Kendall's story - check out her Facebook Page
Hope for Kendall
Or read more on my blog: Terra Talking

Kendall's MAW trip PTR - "Part of Her World"
terratalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
terratalking
Earning My Ears
 
terratalking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
Keep in mind there is a first aid station in each park. If you need a rest or need to regroup someway, this may be the place to do so. For MK the first aid center is located passed Main St. You take a left and you will see a restroom area followed by the center. It's on the way to the Crystal Palace restaurant. If you get to the restaurant you have gone too far.

I'm a little concerned with you being alone with your daughter at the airport. Has she flown before? Are you medically prepared for whatever could happen on the plane? Hubby has her supplies in the car. I don't want you to feel uncomfortable, here; I just want you prepared in the very best way. Hand in hand, have you travelled anywhere before with the family; so, you know what you are getting into, here? For example have you been to a zoo with the family? How was it?

There are many videos on u tube and such that can show you the rides at each park. Also, there are height restrictions and so forth for each ride. I would review all of this so you don't waste precious park time and someone saying you can't do the ride. There's a disabilities guide available from Disney. I would do a lot of homework and have a very solid plan, but be flexible at the same time. Sometimes, it's better to skip a ride with an hour wait; so, you can do three other rides instead without long waits.
Bete - Thank you so much for your concern. It WILL be very tough. I have only flown with her alone when we needed a medical angel flight to an out of state hospital to receive care. She was nowhere near as complicated then and it STILL took a lot of coordination so....yes. I am going to have my hands full. I plan on getting full documentation of everything that she needs so that I can take "back up supplies" of everything with me on the flight (for instance I know that her liquid TPN/formula/IV fluids will need to be examined by TSA, etc) - and in case anything would happen to delay the flight. I don't have any notions that it is going to be an easy stress-free experience by any means, but I think I'm at least semi-prepared for worst case scenarios.

We have done a few family trips with all of them (drove cross country from IL to RI, gone to Wisconsin Dells, just getng to Target some days is an adventure!) - and luckily, our older two are VERY helpful with everything. So all in all - it will be crazy, but that's kind of our family motto. We haven't had nursing now for three months, so at least we are used to having to take care of all her medical needs on our own! I know there is a great children's hospital in Orlando that would be able to handle anything that came up while we were down there.
I will definitely check out the resources you are talking about for the disabilities guide to disney!
Thank you again!

terra
__________________
Trip Dreams are Made of for my beautiful girls:
Kealey Grace - 11 yrs old, Karissa Lynn - 9yrs old, Kaylen Hope - 6 yrs old, and Kendall Quinn - 4 yrs old, brave mito warrior


To read more about Kendall's story - check out her Facebook Page
Hope for Kendall
Or read more on my blog: Terra Talking

Kendall's MAW trip PTR - "Part of Her World"
terratalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:46 PM   #21
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,965

If there is particular table service restaurants that you want to eat at. Make your reservations now! No need for counter services.

The weather in January can be hit and miss. I have been there when I needed to bundle up just like at home (MI), and other times shorts were needed. I would pack for clothes to be worn in layers, and only one or two pairs of shorts.

The Photopass is easy to get. Just walk up to one of the photographers and get your picture taken. They will scan a card and hand it to you. After the first one, you can just use the same card over and over. When you get home, you get on the Photopass site and can review your pictures, or you can get them reviewed in the park and buy them right then. If you wait until you get home, you can pick and choose which ones you want and edit them.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #22
bababear_50
Does amazing things with teeth and string!
Song writer extraordiaire
 
bababear_50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,340

Hi Hon
Mel here from the DIS Disign forum
If you do make any dining reservations please let me know and I will make the girls an invitation. In my signature is a link to my photobucket,
Have a look around and let me know if there is anything I can make for you.
parents often ask for 'coupons" which the kids use to get treats,balloons, souvenirs etc,,the parent still does have to pay the cashier but it just a
fun way of sprinkling a bit of magic on the holiday.

Here is an example of small "guess who's going" tickets


Uploaded with ImageShack.us




Uploaded with ImageShack.us




Uploaded with ImageShack.us




Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Have fun planning and
Hugs Mel

Last edited by bababear_50; 11-25-2012 at 08:55 PM.
bababear_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #23
joanchris
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Close enough to drive to WDW
Posts: 479

Quote:
Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
I think if it were me and the ages of the girls, and the amount of time that you are going to be there, I would only do one park for both days. I would suggest Magic Kingdom only.

By using both days in the one park, it gives you more time to slow down and see and do more that is offered there. Doing this allows you to kind of split the park in half and do part of it one day and the other part the next day.

I agree with LockShockBarrel, that it can't all be seen and done in the short time that you are there. In fact I have been to Disney for a full week at a time for the last 7 years and have yet to see it all and do it all. There is something new each trip. Don't try and cram it all in. You will only all end up miserable!
This is exactly what I was going to suggest!
Two days, one park, to minimize walking pick two "lands" for each day and try to stay within them for everything, you'll save time and energy.
__________________
Joan
2014 Fall, (Bonnet Creek)
2012-13 Christmas Eve to New Year's Day, (offsite)
2008 May--Flower and Garden Festival, (offsite)
2005 Oct--Food and Wine Festival, Contemporary
1992 Carribean Beach Resort
1972 or 1973(?) Contemporary


Wishgirl's WISHtrip report
joanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:52 PM   #24
bababear_50
Does amazing things with teeth and string!
Song writer extraordiaire
 
bababear_50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 10,340

Just an idea,hope it's ok to mention this
The best way to view wishes night time fireworks in the Magic kingdom is the "Wishes Dessert
Party". Advance ADR just opened yesterday for Jan.
Not sure of your budget but it would be a great family adventure.
I just booked for Jan 3 for my family of 5.
Total cost 4 adults and one child was $135.21.

here is a link to info and booking

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/din...dessert-party/



Hugs Mel

Last edited by bababear_50; 11-25-2012 at 08:58 PM.
bababear_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #25
Shelly F - Ohio
Disney Extraordinaire
 
Shelly F - Ohio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lake Erie Shore Line in Ohio
Posts: 6,519

As far as the weather and what to pack. Jan. is generally Florida's coldest month so pack sweatshirts, jackets, & gloves.
__________________
Por favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas-Please stand clear of the doors.


CBR - 2004 & Joined DVC 2004,
DCL 4 night- 2005,
SSR - Feb 2005, 06, & 09, Oct 08, May 2011, Oct 12, Feb 13..... CSR 07,... AKV Sept 2008,2012,2013... VWL Feb 2009, 2010, 2012 ... OKW Sept 2009, Feb2012...BCV 2013, 2014
Shelly F - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #26
Wendydagny
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 172

Just wanted to let you know that this week, Minnie was NOT at the character greet with Mickey at the front of the park. Not sure if that was permanent, or just the way it was when we went through. We saw her in the circus tent in the new fantasyland area, near dumbo.
Wendydagny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:49 PM   #27
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

 
SueM in MN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Twin Cities area,Minnesota,USA
Posts: 30,144
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
Wish trips aren't just for life-threatening problems. They are also for kids with chronic issues also. I would look into it. It is for all of you, but it is for the special child mostly. Maybe you could get a wish granted thru them and be able to spend more time at the "Most Magical Place on Earth".

I found out recently (lots of good it did me now as a adult), that with the kidney issues that my sister and I have, we could have possibly been granted a trip as kids. It won't hurt to ask.
Many chronic conditions are life-threatening, even though people don't think of them as that.
The MAW national website indicates:
"We determine a child’s medical eligibility with the help of the treating physician. To receive a wish, the child must be diagnosed with a life-threatening medical condition – i.e., a progressive, degenerative or malignant condition that has placed the child’s life in jeopardy."

So, their definition does include life-threatening. But, DD has cerebral palsy and epilepsy among her other conditions. She did not go on a MAW trip, but we were told she would qualify (although, I know her seizures could be life-threatening, we don't think of them that way).
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyw8863 View Post
Hi Terra! I'm THRILLED that you guys are going to be able to do this. I know that you all have had a difficult year. Having done Disney with mito, I agree with the others who said to focus on only one park for the two days. We found the experience to be entirely overwhelming for Ali, and when we started off trying to do way too much, we had many problems. Once we slowed down and took things as they came, things went way better.

In terms of where to go, MK is THE park if you need to choose only one day, but we found AK to be the best in terms of accommodating our needs even though we were on a Wish trip. MK was good, but we had to be a bit more assertive in using Ali's GAC. Granted it was very crowded the day that we went, so that could have had something to do with it. We never did make it to either EPCOT or Hollywood Studios.

I also agree with the others who said contact MAW. As long as Kendall's issues are considered life threatening or life limiting (that's the criteria in MA - different states have different criteria), she will qualify, and I know she will qualify based on mito and what she's been through. We did self-refer (and struggled with the decision - it partly had to do with the fact that we had a 17 year old foster son with his 18th birthday coming up and we wanted him to be eligible to attend), and I'm glad we did. Ali's mito doc called us after he received the paperwork and said he was glad we made the call, because he had assumed that we already had been referred. He felt badly that we hadn't and was thrilled for us.

Best of luck with your planning, and don't hesitate to either message me here or on FB, and I'll help you however I can!
WDW is overwhelming for even people without any medical complications, so even more overwhelming when dealing with all the extra medical issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terratalking View Post
Seriously - you people are all so awesome! SO much good info here!

So after looking at the different park attractions a little bit more - I think Magic Kingdom will be THE place to be! None of my girls have a clue what WDW even really entails - so I'm going to do most of the "logistical" planning about things to see and do - and then once we tell them on Christmas, I'll let them help narrow it down or prioritize what each of them most want.

I still feel like i have so many "annoying" little questions and not nearly enough time to search old threads!

Food: I know we can bring in "snacks" (and i would assume we could bring Kendall's TPN/fluids/tube feeding stuff).
you can bring it into the park with you without problem. You can store medical supplies and equipment at First Aid - every park has a First Aid Station. You can also use the cots there for resting.
Quote:
Pretty sure I won't have nearly enough time to set up a dining plan - is that a necessity? Can we determine which meals we will eat inside the park and then just go to that restaurant? Or should we look into making reservations ahead of time?
if you are talking about the dining plan, that is kind of like prepaying for your meals. It is a LOT of food for each meal, plus snacks. Unless you plan on eating a lot, it is probably not worth the money.
Each park has some table service restaurants and some counter service. If you want to eat at the table service, it is better to make reservations ahead of time - especially if you want to eat at certain restaurants or need certain times. Be aware though that some restaurants require a credit card to make the reservation and will charge $10 per person if you cancel less than 24 hours before your reservation.

This will help explain the dining plan:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-dining-plan.htm

And, this is a link to the WDW restaurants, so you can check menus, which are counter service, etc:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dinin...ydining.cfm#mk
Quote:
I've heard about the "refillable cups" also - is that a good recommendation?
The refillable mugs are bought at your resort and allow unlimited refills at your resort food court during the stay they were bought. They can be a good deal for people who plan on using them at least once or twice a day ( and you get to keep the cute cup). You can't get refills at the parks.
Quote:
Photos: How do we get the Photopass CD thing? (I'm sure there's a thread about that somewhere here! Just trying to organize my questions in my own head!)
As was already mentioned, you can get a Photopass card from any Photopass photographer. This will explain Photopass a bit more:
http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/digital-photos.htm
Quote:
Weather?: For anyone who has gone in January - is it rainy? Freezing? What should I pack for the kids clothing wise - shorts and sweatshirts? Or full on jeans/sweaters, etc? (we live in Chicago - January = I want to hibernate from the freezing wind and sub-zero temps).
Others already answered, but I will agree - not as cold as Chicago ( we are from Minnesota). Jeans, sweatshirts. I would suggest layers. When the sun is out during the day, it can be warm, but won probably be hot. Once the sun goes down, the temperature goes down fairly quickly that time of year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by terratalking View Post
Bete - Thank you so much for your concern. It WILL be very tough. I have only flown with her alone when we needed a medical angel flight to an out of state hospital to receive care. She was nowhere near as complicated then and it STILL took a lot of coordination so....yes. I am going to have my hands full. I plan on getting full documentation of everything that she needs so that I can take "back up supplies" of everything with me on the flight (for instance I know that her liquid TPN/formula/IV fluids will need to be examined by TSA, etc) - and in case anything would happen to delay the flight. I don't have any notions that it is going to be an easy stress-free experience by any means, but I think I'm at least semi-prepared for worst case scenarios.

We have done a few family trips with all of them (drove cross country from IL to RI, gone to Wisconsin Dells, just getng to Target some days is an adventure!) - and luckily, our older two are VERY helpful with everything. So all in all - it will be crazy, but that's kind of our family motto. We haven't had nursing now for three months, so at least we are used to having to take care of all her medical needs on our own! I know there is a great children's hospital in Orlando that would be able to handle anything that came up while we were down there.
I will definitely check out the resources you are talking about for the disabilities guide to disney!
Thank you again!

terra
Check out post 3 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread. Near the top of that post, there is a link to the WDW page for guests with Disabilties and the various pieces if information on the website. They no longer publish a Guidebook for guests with disabilities, but have replaced those with Guidemaps. There are links to the Guidemaps in that post also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendydagny View Post
Just wanted to let you know that this week, Minnie was NOT at the character greet with Mickey at the front of the park. Not sure if that was permanent, or just the way it was when we went through. We saw her in the circus tent in the new fantasyland area, near dumbo.
I think Minnie's new place is in the circus tent, from what I have read.
It sounded like Mickey, plus possibly a member from a rotating cast of other friends would be at the front of the park. So, it's possible she may show up there, but I would only count on Mickey in the front.
__________________
SueM in MN
Moderator of disABILITIES
Link to disABILITIES FAQs thread

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:54 AM   #28
Mouseaholic!!!
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,803

The lovely people here are making sure your trip will be as magical and trouble free as possible. Truly special folks were there to guide me after my accident 5 years ago.

I will offer a simple idea to keep the shopping temptations under control.....after all, you don't want to buy another seat on your flight home for that 7 foot tall Mickey Mouse! :-)

Bring a roll of pennies and 2 rolls of quarters. There are penny press machines all over WDW. You can also buy a small, plastic penny press book to keep them all together to enjoy.

We did this with friends grands when they travelled us. It became a hunt and seek game....and more affordable too!

Have a wonderful trip. Watching the trip through you children will be unforgettable.

Safe travels.
Mouseaholic!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #29
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,965

If you do buy something big or fragile, you could have it sent home from the store you bought it at. Just ask for it to be shipped at the time of the sale.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #30
mamakitty
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 9

Buy or make autograph books at home. Big expense at the park because they will want their own and only will get a few signatures in each. They will be stuck in a drawer a few weeks after the trip.
mamakitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:24 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.