Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #1
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Is Pop better then the other All Star resorts

I thought I heard it cost more to stay there then the other All Star resorts, if so, why?
nuge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:32 PM   #2
katrina1122
Just another Blonde moment in my life. Yay me.

It does cost a bit more, though it hasn't always. I'm not sure why it does not other than it's newer and has it's own bus service rather than sharing like All Stars do.
katrina1122 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
nuge67
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina1122 View Post
It does cost a bit more, though it hasn't always. I'm not sure why it does not other than it's newer and has it's own bus service rather than sharing like All Stars do.
Maybe the bus service alone is worth the extra $?
nuge67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #4
JessM
We all have a dream

IMO Pop is a better resort choice than the rest of the All Stars. For me the dedicated bus service alone is enough to sell it! Its also a newer resort with a little better layout imo. We also really enjoy the theming, food court and gift shop at POP.
JessM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
twinboysmom
DIS Veteran

I say no, and I have stayed at all the all stars and pop. Personally, I think pop is too large and spread out and like the all stars a tiny bit better but would stay at any value again.

As for bus service, that is one thing that just gets me. Yes, pop has dedicated buses. The all stars rarely share and usually not in the mornings or at park closings. We have stayed at busy times and at value seasons and this was the case. During midday yes, they are likely sharing and it's not a big deal. While pop is dedicated, they're busy. It's a large resort. During our stay the buses were always filled to capacity and there were times we left people waiting.

As for costing more, I heard it had to do with the tax rate and that it was in another county. I have zero idea if that is true and hadn't cared enough to look. My guess is that WDW can make a few more bucks a night from people willing to pay more so they raised the price.

Yes, it is newer but the room sizes are the same at it and the all stars. It is not, however, the most recently renovated. That would be all star movies which completed a renovation at the end of last year. Movies is our personal favorite value (although we haven't stayed at aoa yet) because of its compact size (no need to spend extra on a preferred room) and we like the theming here best.
Old 11-20-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

It costs more as it is in a different county with a different tax rate.

I like its food court better, but overall I prefer AS.
Old 11-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
TXGRMAMA
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post

I like its food court better, but overall I prefer AS.

Pop Century is located in Orange County, The All Star resorts are located in Osceola County. I am not sure of the exact numbers, but they do have differnt tax rates.
TXGRMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:37 PM   #8
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Orange County Sales tax is 6.5%, plus a 6% hotel tax, for a total of 12.5%. Osceola County (All Stars, WWOS, and the McDonalds near All Star are the only parts of Disney property located in Osceola County) has a 7% sales tax, plus a 6% hotel tax, for a total of 13%.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine View Post
Orange County Sales tax is 6.5%, plus a 6% hotel tax, for a total of 12.5%. Osceola County (All Stars, WWOS, and the McDonalds near All Star are the only parts of Disney property located in Osceola County) has a 7% sales tax, plus a 6% hotel tax, for a total of 13%.
I thought AKL was also in Osceola county, so also had the 13% tax rate? I know I once did a split stay at WL and AKL. AKL was just a tad more expensive and when I asked the CM why, she told me it was because AKL was in Osceola county while WL was in Orange county and the Osceola tax rate was about a 1/2% more.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:14 AM   #10
markay714
Earning My Ears

I like Pop better. I've only stayed at All Star Sports but the biggest thing I did not like was stopping on the bus at all of the other resorts. Pop goes directly to the park (unless it doesn't now with Art of Animation open so nearby). The rooms in Pop seem a little cleaner/fresher than the All Star Sports one we stayed in as well.
markay714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #11
SyracuseWolvrine
Hockey Fanatic
Is he a bigger hockey fan than a Canadian?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
I thought AKL was also in Osceola county, so also had the 13% tax rate? I know I once did a split stay at WL and AKL. AKL was just a tad more expensive and when I asked the CM why, she told me it was because AKL was in Osceola county while WL was in Orange county and the Osceola tax rate was about a 1/2% more.
Nope, AKL is at the very end of Osceola Pkwy, which is the dividing line between Orange and Osceola counties, but it is on the Orange county side of the line.
The opinions and comments in the above post do not necessarily reflect the views, opinions, policies or procedures of the Walt Disney Company or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates, including but not limited to the Walt Disney World Resort and all areas contained therein. Any information or advice in the above post is subject to change at any time without notice. Tampering with, disabling, or destroying lavatory smoke detectors is prohibited. This post may contain nuts or be written by someone who is nuts. Void where prohibited. This post may not be reproduced without express written permission of the Commissioner of Baseball. The moving rubber line is moving at the same speed as you. Member FDIC.
SyracuseWolvrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:59 PM   #12
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina1122 View Post
It does cost a bit more, though it hasn't always.
I remember when POP was the same price as the All Stars (and POFQ was the same price as POR).
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyDrake View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyracuseWolvrine View Post
I don't think the difference in price has to to do with the tax rate as Syracuse Wolvrine pointed out the tax rate for the All Stars is higher than POP. Disney quotes rates including taxes and a quote for POP is higher than All Stars.
I think that Disney has determined that some hotels are more desirable (have a greater percentage of rooms that are booked) than others which is why there are rate differences. They have even gone so far as to break down the room categories from the two that they used to have (they just had preferred and standard now they have have preferred, standard, preferred pool view, standard pool view, etc.).
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: