Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
tsmith76
Mouseketeer

Does online check in actially save time?

What are the advantages ? Don't you actually still have to wait in line, etc.?
Old 11-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

You do wait in line but you don't have to wait for credit card processing, room key printing, etc. Your packet is ready when you get to the counter.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 02:58 PM   #3
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Yes it does save time - at least in our experience.

You may have to wait in line, but sometimes there is a separate line for those who have done OLCI. Those that have done OLCI move through very quickly since all their material is ready when they arrive.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #4
tsmith76
Mouseketeer

Excellent , thx for the feedback
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 PM   #5
cruisingkat
DIS Veteran

We don't do online checkin - we have noticed that about 50% of the time we get done faster than the person who was last in the online checkin line when we arrived gets done. So for us it makes no difference. Credit card processing take very little time - just a couple of seconds.
cruisingkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Mousemommy1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmith76 View Post
What are the advantages ? Don't you actually still have to wait in line, etc.?
When it works as it is supposed to, it's faster. But when there is a busy check in at the front desk and everyone else did OLCI too, it's not.

We have done OLCI and breezed through the OCLI line in 5 minutes and we have done it and had to wait 35 minutes. I think your odds are the same either way honestly.

I just like to do it because it makes the trip seem that much closer.

PAST TRIPS:
JUL 1985 OFFSITE • JUL 1989 OFFSITE • MAR 2000 ASMO • SEP 2000 ASMU • SEP 2002 ASSP • NOV 2009 POP • FEB 2011 CBR • JUL 2012 WL CL • APR 2013 YC CL • SEP 2013 POFQ
Mousemommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:29 PM   #7
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
When it works as it is supposed to, it's faster. But when there is a busy check in at the front desk and everyone else did OLCI too, it's not.

We have done OLCI and breezed through the OCLI line in 5 minutes and we have done it and had to wait 35 minutes. I think your odds are the same either way honestly.

I just like to do it because it makes the trip seem that much closer.

I agree about the time. I won't do it online again, learned my lesson this last trip. The two online CM's were very busy, so I was checked in in the middle of the lobby. CM was balancing her ipad, trying to check me in, being interrupted by other guests who didn't realize she was a mini-check in desk...it wasn't a good experience. After all that, I needed a parking pass, and I waited a very long time while she ran around trying to find someplace to print it. I've never had a check in like this, anywhere. No more "quick service" check ins for me. I'm going "full service" from now on.

TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #8
greengeen
Mouseketeer

In my experience online checkin lines don't go any faster than regular, the main reason being that guests in online checkin have just as many questions! Sure, the paperwork may be mostly done, but there's not that much paperwork anyway. Most of the time is spent answering guests' questions.
greengeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
NewmanFamily6
Mouseketeer

So far we have been 2 for 2 with online check in here. No complaints and intend to use it again for my January trip. It was nice just walking up and being handed my folder

Next trip: July 2014 @ GF
NewmanFamily6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
MyOtherSS
Mouseketeer

I would recommend it. We made note that we were arriving at 11am when check in was at 3 and they had our room ready.

Past Stays: Fort Wilderness, Polynesian, Animal Kingdom Lodge and Contemporary.
MyOtherSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #11
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

I believe room location requests are first come first served, so by checking in on line you have a better chance at getting your room request.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave
I believe room location requests are first come first served, so by checking in on line you have a better chance at getting your room request.
I don't know about that. When I arrived at POR in March (after doing online checkin), I was told the resort was overbooked. And they apologized and asked if I would be willing to change to a deluxe villa at Saratoga Springs. Did they even have to ASK??? But seriously, if room assignments were made early on when I checked in, surely I wouldn't have been bumped. At least, that's my thinking. But, who really knows how Disney handles room assignments, upgrades, and the like? I'm a FL resident with an AP, but surely that doesn't make me a target for special treatment (I'm certainly not a big spender like visitors on vacation!).
But fwiw, there was basically no wait in the OLCl line when I arrived. I would definitely do it based on my own experience.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:26 PM   #13
reelmom
If I don't get tagged, I am gonna hold my breath until I am blue!
Didn't work. The tag turned blue instead!

I did online check in in May at POP Century. They didn't have anything ready because they told me I never did it. Um..yes I did, Disney made the mistake. The CM made me feel like I was trying to get away with something. Anyways, it only took a few minutes to get my room but left me with a not so fuzzy feeling. I would still try it again next time.
reelmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:16 PM   #14
creativeamanda
One slithering around on me? No way, Jose!
Me? Snarky? Nah!
Why on earth would I want my summer vacation to go away that quickly

The short answer is it depends.

On how early you come (sometimes if you are real early, the don't have the packet ready)
If the person in front of you has a lot of questions.
If the person in front of you has a problem with their room assignment and wants to change.
If you come in the same time as a large group

When OLCI is used in the manner it was meant--grab and go--then it is pretty quick. But when those other factors come into play, it is another matter altogether.

creativeamanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #15
mom2taylorandemily
Not so patiently waiting our next trip to Disney....!

I've done OLCI for the past 4 trips, and my experience has been successful each time, all but 1 trip my rooms have been ready when I got there. So doing the OLCI does give them an ETA so they try hard to get the room ready. We like it and will do it again in 8 days!!!

DH 60 Me 51 DD 17 DD 15
Sept. 1993 - offsite "1st Trip" / Oct. 1995 - offsite Honeymoon / Dec. 2006 - WL / Dec. 2007 - CBR / Dec. 2008 - CBR
Aug. 2009 - CBR / Dec. 2009 - POFQ / Aug. 2010 - CBR / Aug. 2011 - POR
Aug. 2012 - CBR~Emily's 13th!! Birthday / Dec. 2012 - CBR~Taylor's Sweet 16!!

Aug. 2013 - POFQ~Celebrating My 50th!!! / Aug. 2014 - CBR ~ No Kids!!
mom2taylorandemily is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: