Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #76
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I think there are three ways to tackle Goofy. 1) race the half and survive the full. Not a bad plan if you feel like hitting most or all of the character stops on Sunday. 2) easy half and race the full. If you race well on tired legs, this can work very well for you. 3) easy half and easy full. This is what most people do. It allows you to have two fun and relaxing days, fitting in plenty of character stops during both races. Running both days at your typical long run pace (a minute or so slower than race pace) keeps your legs fresh and removes the mental strain that kicks in when trying to run fast for a goal time.
Thanks for the input! Yep, I think you've covered the bases here, and for me I think strategy #3 is the winner! What you have described - fun, relaxing 2 days with fresh legs and character pictures - is EXACTLY what I'm hoping for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
I ran in the snow for the first time yesterday. Ugh! It was supposed to be my long run but I only ended up doing 5 miles because the lightly falling snow when I started turned into a lake effect snowstorm!!

Ariel-484
I just read your TR from your marathon last year and loved it!! I'm so glad I signed up for the 1/2 this year but now, after reading about your adventure, it makes me think I could have pushed myself a little farther. I could do the full but also have some fun like you did and take lots of pictures! I would love to have that anniversary medal. I will definately try for next year. Hope to see you at the 1/2!
I got snowed on during my 18-miler on Saturday...it actually wasn't as bad as I expected, but then again, it wasn't lake effect.

Thanks for checking out the TR, glad you liked it! You will have a BLAST running the half, don't you worry. The full for 2014 sounds like a great goal. Hope to see you too the morning of the half...less than 45 days from now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifred View Post
Morning everyone! Advice please?

Training for the WDW 2013 Full. My first. Last week I picked up a nastly cold bug that took me out of commission for the last few days. Note to self - do not get sick before Marathon Weekend! I'm following Higdon's Full program and should have done 16 miles yesterday. So, for this week's long run should I do the 16 miles and go right to the 18 next weekend or stick with Higdon's plan and drop to 12 before the 18???

I can't shift the weeks back and drop a taper week, because I'm registered for a Half on December 15th during a down week. So that would throw everying off. Thoughts?
I'd follow the rest of the plan as scheduled - forget about the 16 and do the 12 this week, 18 next week, 14, 20, TAPER! The step-back weeks are important, especially as you're getting into the higher mileage weeks and ESPECIALLY when recovering from a bug...at least that's what I think. Hope you're feeling better!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #77
robynslp
Mouseketeer
 
robynslp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Coastal NC
Posts: 97

At the last minute, I decided to run a half marathon on Thanksgiving at my parents' house. I figured it was easier than scoping out a long run through a bunch of neighborhoods and the race came within blocks of their house so I'd probably be using the same roads. I didn't go start with any plans other than to treat it like a long(ish) run. I worked very hard to start slow and stay fresh and was able to finish with a PR by 19 minutes (2:44)! I am still slow, but I am so much happier with my time. I was very comfortable at the end of the race and walked partway back to my parents house before calling for a ride to finish out the few miles.

We of course sat down and ate a huge lunch then watched too much tv after. By that evening my left outer hip region was killing me. What is that? What do I do to strength it? I feel confident that I can put my feet one after the other for 26.2 in January, but I want to take care of these little hinderances. My groin muscles hurt for long runs, but this hip pain was totally unwelcome.


Thanks for all the advice and support! I love this forum and am so excited for January. I'm already starting the pre-race nightmares - no gels, no socks, overslept...
robynslp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-26-2012, 12:53 PM   #78
jimandami
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Union, KY (Cincinnati)
Posts: 3,545

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp
At the last minute, I decided to run a half marathon on Thanksgiving at my parents' house. I figured it was easier than scoping out a long run through a bunch of neighborhoods and the race came within blocks of their house so I'd probably be using the same roads. I didn't go start with any plans other than to treat it like a long(ish) run. I worked very hard to start slow and stay fresh and was able to finish with a PR by 19 minutes (2:44)! I am still slow, but I am so much happier with my time. I was very comfortable at the end of the race and walked partway back to my parents house before calling for a ride to finish out the few miles.

We of course sat down and ate a huge lunch then watched too much tv after. By that evening my left outer hip region was killing me. What is that? What do I do to strength it? I feel confident that I can put my feet one after the other for 26.2 in January, but I want to take care of these little hinderances. My groin muscles hurt for long runs, but this hip pain was totally unwelcome.

Thanks for all the advice and support! I love this forum and am so excited for January. I'm already starting the pre-race nightmares - no gels, no socks, overslept...
Nice pr....congrats! It sounds like maybe your IT band is tight. The best thing you can do for that is to stretch it frequently (google IT band stretches) and use a foam roller or stick.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #79
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenifred View Post
Morning everyone! Advice please?

Training for the WDW 2013 Full. My first. Last week I picked up a nastly cold bug that took me out of commission for the last few days. Note to self - do not get sick before Marathon Weekend! I'm following Higdon's Full program and should have done 16 miles yesterday. So, for this week's long run should I do the 16 miles and go right to the 18 next weekend or stick with Higdon's plan and drop to 12 before the 18???

I can't shift the weeks back and drop a taper week, because I'm registered for a Half on December 15th during a down week. So that would throw everying off. Thoughts?
As stated above, just hop back on the schedule and move forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariel484 View Post
Thanks for the input! Yep, I think you've covered the bases here, and for me I think strategy #3 is the winner! What you have described - fun, relaxing 2 days with fresh legs and character pictures - is EXACTLY what I'm hoping for.


Just make sure that you do not go out too slow on the half eg walking a half at a 16 minute pace may not be a great idea if you are a 10 minute runner... Just head out at training pace both mornings.

If well trained, I usually run the half harder than a training pace. The logic is that one only has fresh legs one day of the weekend and why not take advantage of the fresh legs... It's really a practice in understanding recovery and working a little magic on Saturday afternoon. In 7 Goofies, I have PR'd the half 4 times, PR'd the full once and set a personal course record for the the full once. The last couple years I have come in a little under trained and have just run training run pace. I actually like the former strategy but understand that leaves one open for a longer Sunday if things do not go right.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #80
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.
 
DisneyRunnerGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 299

Did my 16 miles on Sat morning - not pleasant mentally or physically

It was completely overcast. The wind was a constant 15-20 mph so the temps with windchill stayed between 20 and 24 and apparently just to irritate me it snowed the whole time - just flurries, but for some reason I found them infuriating.

Couldn't get into a smooth pace on a frozen and bumpy trail and became more and more paranoid that I would twist an ankle or knee, so I moved out to the park road at the 7 mile mark. The road is a 1 mile loop so that became a little mind numbing.

Mentally I was on the "dark side" - I wanted to stop every 4 miles or so and call it a day. I did stop twice for the restroom, but was able to force myself back past my car each and every loop. I think it was sitting there mocking me with its nice warm heater and chocolate milk waiting for me to finish

Physically I was feeling lousy all over, so I finally conceded a little at the end and walked the last 3 miles. I claim a small victory in that I was able finish and not fold up.

I am hoping that this bad long run was the one I have often heard others mention. The one you just need to get over and move on with your training.....

I have never had this happen in my half marathon training so mentally I was not prepared to have this hit me so hard in training for my first full. I think this week's cutback will be better for 2 reasons: 1- it is only 8 miles and 2 - a couple of hours after I run I will be boarding a plane for WDW for a short trip to see my son

I hope the trip will give my personal batteries a much needed re-charge. End of whine!
__________________
DisneyRunnerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #81
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post

As for me.....will try my 10 miler tomorrow when I get back from LA.

And for everyone who needs a laugh....I will be doing Goofy for the first time with minimal training, no back-to-back runs and my longest LR since August is 8 miles. Oh, and I'm probably going to wreck my foot in the process.Feel better about your own training yet?

Maura
Oh ouch Maura. Good luck! I know this won't make you feel any better, but it does inspire me that I can do this if you can!

Okay, so I did 6 miles on Saturday after 4 weeks off and a turkey trot on Thursday. It went pretty well. My hips felt a bit out of whack so I had to keep paying attention to my gait. I went to see my PT today and he thought everything continued to look good and was impressed I was able to do a 6 miler. He looked over my modified training plan (Thank you Coach Charles for helping me figure that out!!! ) and he thought it looked good. He had me move my longest run 3 weeks before the race and otherwise gave me his blessing So I will do 10 miles this weekend and see how that feels.

That 6 miles was cold last weekend. The windchill was 11 degrees the time we were out. Brrrr. But I had on the right amount of layers and felt pretty good. So yay!
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:09 PM   #82
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
...[snip]...
Just make sure that you do not go out too slow on the half eg walking a half at a 16 minute pace may not be a great idea if you are a 10 minute runner... Just head out at training pace both mornings.

If well trained, I usually run the half harder than a training pace. The logic is that one only has fresh legs one day of the weekend and why not take advantage of the fresh legs... It's really a practice in understanding recovery and working a little magic on Saturday afternoon. In 7 Goofies, I have PR'd the half 4 times, PR'd the full once and set a personal course record for the the full once. The last couple years I have come in a little under trained and have just run training run pace. I actually like the former strategy but understand that leaves one open for a longer Sunday if things do not go right.
Thanks Coach! That's exactly what I was talking about - how to find the perfect balance of not too fast and not too slow. So far (knock on wood) I would say I'm pretty well-trained and what you're saying about taking advantage of fresh legs for the half absolutely makes sense...so who knows? Maybe I'm thinking about this too much.
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:13 PM   #83
Ariel484
DIS Veteran
 
Ariel484's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,246

Quote:
Originally Posted by robynslp View Post
At the last minute, I decided to run a half marathon on Thanksgiving at my parents' house. I figured it was easier than scoping out a long run through a bunch of neighborhoods and the race came within blocks of their house so I'd probably be using the same roads. I didn't go start with any plans other than to treat it like a long(ish) run. I worked very hard to start slow and stay fresh and was able to finish with a PR by 19 minutes (2:44)! I am still slow, but I am so much happier with my time. I was very comfortable at the end of the race and walked partway back to my parents house before calling for a ride to finish out the few miles.

We of course sat down and ate a huge lunch then watched too much tv after. By that evening my left outer hip region was killing me. What is that? What do I do to strength it? I feel confident that I can put my feet one after the other for 26.2 in January, but I want to take care of these little hinderances. My groin muscles hurt for long runs, but this hip pain was totally unwelcome.


Thanks for all the advice and support! I love this forum and am so excited for January. I'm already starting the pre-race nightmares - no gels, no socks, overslept...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
Nice pr....congrats! It sounds like maybe your IT band is tight. The best thing you can do for that is to stretch it frequently (google IT band stretches) and use a foam roller or stick.
@robynslp...I agree with jimandami - get yourself a foam roller! It will HURT, but you'll notice a difference if you use it regularly. I had similar hip pain a few weeks ago (at least it sounds similar to what you have) and foam rolling really helped.

Check out the Iliotibial Band video on this page: http://www.runnersworld.com/running-...ll?page=single

You'll feel it!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:14 PM   #84
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer
 
irishtwins1112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 386

I posted it here http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002160 as well but I was checking to see if there are any back of the packers that would like to join a group with the goal of only finishing the full marathon. I was hoping for a few people that are in the 15-16 minute per mile range......I know many of you have the goal to just finish but will be considerably faster than 15-16 minutes per mile. Anywho....come on over to that thread if you are interested.
__________________
Me DH DS 3 DS 2
irishtwins1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:47 PM   #85
Carolina Blair
Earning My Ears
 
Carolina Blair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvjules View Post
Yesterday I did 17 miles. Around mile 12-13ish I started to get pain behind my knee on the leg where the bend is (not under the kneecap) where the calf and hamstring muscles meet. Well I can barely move that leg now. Bending it is fine, like sitting on a chair it doesn't hurt at all. But walking, moving, getting up and down it is excrusciating! I can't straighten it at all. It is not sore, it is PAIN. I have an appointment with Sports Med Doc on Thursday but does anyone have any ideas?

Also, I see the transfer date is Dec 1, which doesn't do me any good anyway. But when is the Deferrment deadline, if there is one?
Does anyone have any info on the deferment? Has anyone here had to defer before?

After have a great 20 miler this weekend, I had some niggling ankle pain that drove me to the doc today. Just got back from an x-ray, but he believes I have a stress fracture. He's referring me to a podiatrist as well, but he seemed pretty confident it is a stress fracture to my shin. I'm kind of reeling right now and just want to get my options together.
__________________
1983-Offsite~1990-Grovernor Resort~1992-Offsite~1994-Caribbean Beach Resort~1995-Caribbean Beach Resort~2007-All Star Sports~September 2009-Saratoga Springs~December 2009-Pop Century~June 2011-Port Orleans FQ~October 2011-Boardwalk Villas~January 2012-Polynesian~September 2012-Boardwalk Inn

Next Up:


Disney Races: WDW 1/2 Marathon 2012/Tower of Terror 10 miler 2012
Carolina Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:17 PM   #86
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer
 
irishtwins1112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 386

I called to found out a little about it a few weeks ago. I was told that you can defer up to 30 days before the event and that the fee to transfer the race entry to next year is $35.
__________________
Me DH DS 3 DS 2
irishtwins1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #87
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!
 
dreams91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Where it rains plenty
Posts: 1,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112
I called to found out a little about it a few weeks ago. I was told that you can defer up to 30 days before the event and that the fee to transfer the race entry to next year is $35.
You aren't planning on deferring, are you?
__________________
Cherie
Married at WDW 11/08/04





dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 PM   #88
irishtwins1112
Mouseketeer
 
irishtwins1112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 386

Nope. I did check into it a few weeks ago because I wasn't sure what the deal was with the pain in my foot but since I went to the dr I think I am good.
__________________
Me DH DS 3 DS 2
irishtwins1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:34 PM   #89
dreams91
DIS Cast Member
Loves to veg out in front of the TV on QVC scrap days!
 
dreams91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Where it rains plenty
Posts: 1,439

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112
Nope. I did check into it a few weeks ago because I wasn't sure what the deal was with the pain in my foot but since I went to the dr I think I am good.
That's great news!
__________________
Cherie
Married at WDW 11/08/04





dreams91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #90
Carolina Blair
Earning My Ears
 
Carolina Blair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtwins1112 View Post
I called to found out a little about it a few weeks ago. I was told that you can defer up to 30 days before the event and that the fee to transfer the race entry to next year is $35.
Thanks so much! Those of us fighting injury still have a little time to decide
__________________
1983-Offsite~1990-Grovernor Resort~1992-Offsite~1994-Caribbean Beach Resort~1995-Caribbean Beach Resort~2007-All Star Sports~September 2009-Saratoga Springs~December 2009-Pop Century~June 2011-Port Orleans FQ~October 2011-Boardwalk Villas~January 2012-Polynesian~September 2012-Boardwalk Inn

Next Up:


Disney Races: WDW 1/2 Marathon 2012/Tower of Terror 10 miler 2012
Carolina Blair is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: