Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2012, 07:42 AM   #376
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
I have no idea what this pain is in my knees! On Sunday it was just my left, now it's both! It's in the same exact spot on both knees, on the inside kneecap if that makes sense.

I've been trying to ease into a new pair of shoes that have arches (my old running shoes don't have any) and today I ran with the old pair. But when I started having the pain, I was in the new pair--which is why I switched today.

I think what frustrates me most at this point (and I'm sure many of you will agree!) is that I finally figured out how to hydrate better, the best things to wear that don't chafe, what not to eat, what to listen to and feel so much more mentally prepared for this race than I ever did for the half marathon--and then it's the legs that quit!
I used to think undies didn't matter during running until I had such a horrible chafing episode after a 15 mile run. Let's just say I cried every time I had to go to the bathroom. I bought a pair of undies from UA and I won't go on long runs without them. DH also has long run undies. It's ridiculous how much gear you need to be comfy during a run.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #377
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
I have no idea what this pain is in my knees! On Sunday it was just my left, now it's both! It's in the same exact spot on both knees, on the inside kneecap if that makes sense.

I've been trying to ease into a new pair of shoes that have arches (my old running shoes don't have any) and today I ran with the old pair. But when I started having the pain, I was in the new pair--which is why I switched today.

I think what frustrates me most at this point (and I'm sure many of you will agree!) is that I finally figured out how to hydrate better, the best things to wear that don't chafe, what not to eat, what to listen to and feel so much more mentally prepared for this race than I ever did for the half marathon--and then it's the legs that quit!
Not sure what your long runs miles are, regardless, take this weekend off to allow the knees time to heal. If not done already, ice 2-3 times a day for 30 minutes. Compression sleeve may help the knees feel better through the day. If you feel the need, NSAIDs may be in order. If the knees do not improve by this time next week, see a doc.

Remember, it is much better to hit the race a little undertrained and healthy that well trained and injured.

With regard to chafing, yikes, there are so many places where this can happen and I usually find a new one annually.

Hang in there, you will be there soon.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-07-2012, 01:46 PM   #378
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

Just finished my first 20 miler a few minutes ago, around 2:43. Man, that is a long run. Only other time I ran that far was the marathon in January. That was fun so it didn't seem as bad. 20 miles on a treadmill is not fun by any stretch.

So one more 20 in 2 weeks and the rest will be downhill.

Good luck to everyone this weekend with your runs. Stay healthy.
CaptHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #379
jiminy.cricket
Disneyphile Extraordinare

My toes are actually getting a bit beaten up from time to time in my sneakers during runs. I'm actually thinking about trying out the Invisible Shoe. It's about as close as I can get to running barefoot without actually running barefoot. Has anyone tried it? What were your thoughts? What are your opinions on various shoes?
jiminy.cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:50 PM   #380
steph0808
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy.cricket View Post
My toes are actually getting a bit beaten up from time to time in my sneakers during runs. I'm actually thinking about trying out the Invisible Shoe. It's about as close as I can get to running barefoot without actually running barefoot. Has anyone tried it? What were your thoughts? What are your opinions on various shoes?
My first thought would be to change up the shoe model or shoe size that you are wearing. Sounds like your shoes are too tight in the toe box.
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #381
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy.cricket
I definitely wouldn't try to transition to something like that this close to race day! It takes a few months to transition from traditional to minimalist shoes if done properly.
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #382
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminy.cricket View Post
Have you tried Infinji socks (toe socks)? I resisted for a long time, but am now a convert. It really eliminates toe-to-toe issues. If you are getting massive rubbing from on the outside of your foot you can try taping your foot there, or using thinner socks to see if that helps. Changing shoes would be possible, but only as a last resort.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:12 PM   #383
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHomer View Post
Just finished my first 20 miler a few minutes ago, around 2:43. Man, that is a long run. Only other time I ran that far was the marathon in January. That was fun so it didn't seem as bad. 20 miles on a treadmill is not fun by any stretch.
That's cooking. What is your goal time?
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #384
jimandami
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHomer

You ran 20 miles that fast on a treadmill??? I think you are my new hero!
jimandami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:21 PM   #385
CaptHomer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
That's cooking. What is your goal time?
I would like to finish in under 4:30. I won't be running near as fast on marathon Sunday. The half will probably see to that on Saturday.
My friend that I am running with is having knee problems so we will probably be pretty slow. He hung with me last year with my nightmare knee problems so I will do the same with him this year.
CaptHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:02 PM   #386
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Quote:

WOW. FAST. AND ON A TREADMILL. WOW!!!

That's really awesome that you're going to stick with your friend, though.
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 05:44 PM   #387
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards. Please excuse the typos.

Go Speedy!!!!
Old 12-07-2012, 06:30 PM   #388
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow!! I bow to the man on the Treadmill!!! Great job!
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #389
Ariel484
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wow, that is amazing. That is some serious mental toughness...and speed! Way to go!!!

As for me...got my Magical Express papers today!!!
Ariel484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:58 PM   #390
guava
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Just finished my first 20 miler a few minutes ago, around 2:43. Man, that is a long run. Only other time I ran that far was the marathon in January. That was fun so it didn't seem as bad. 20 miles on a treadmill is not fun...
Wow! Nicely done! I'm jealous that you already got your long run in for the week. I have 18 miles scheduled for tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to that alarm going off. Hope you get to sleep in and rest up tomorrow!
guava is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: