Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-23-2012, 04:38 AM   #16
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran
 
dumbo_buddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: bronx, ny
Posts: 2,228

Still can't walk over here it's been a week now and the knee is still bad. Can't get anywhere without limping. I'm so frustrated! I'm going back to the PT today and seeing an ortho on Monday. The PT is very anti drugs and shots but I'm at the point where ii can't even take care of my kids, let alone do a marathon.

Say a little prayer to the running gods for me. Just a little relief would keep my spirits up.
__________________
Nancy
dumbo_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:54 AM   #17
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy
Still can't walk over here it's been a week now and the knee is still bad. Can't get anywhere without limping. I'm so frustrated! I'm going back to the PT today and seeing an ortho on Monday. The PT is very anti drugs and shots but I'm at the point where ii can't even take care of my kids, let alone do a marathon.

Say a little prayer to the running gods for me. Just a little relief would keep my spirits up.
Praying to the running gods for you. Hope you can find relief soon.

I am back to running after a month off for a sprained ankle. I need some help planning the rest of my long runs. What do you think of this plan:
11/24: 5 miles (I did 2 miles on Wed and 3 on Thursday. These were my first runs in a month. I'm tempted to try 7. Is that smart)
12/1: 9-10 miles?
12/8: 13-15miles
12/15: 17-20 miles
12/22: 20 -23?
Taper after that
Is this crazy? I have compressed time but.want to get back to do at least 20. Would feel better if I could get a 23 done but don't want hurt myself. Last long run was 17 miles a month ago. Maybe I don't need to build up again? Thoughts?
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 11-23-2012, 10:36 AM   #18
roomthreeseventeen
Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
 
roomthreeseventeen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 8,041

This is my first peak week (55 miles) and I am faring well so far. Happy for the long weekend and the chance to run in daylight. The other peak weeks won't be nearly as fun.
__________________
Amy, Patrick, Cosette and Herbie
Many trips as a kid! 2010 GF RPC (March) and AKL/BWI (Oct)
2012
AKL (marathon weekend) and ... AKL (Wine and Dine)
2013 Fort Wilderness 2014 Dopey Challenge AKL
2015 Dopey Challenge at POR!

roomthreeseventeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 10:41 AM   #19
jmasgat
DIS Veteran
 
jmasgat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,689

froggygrrrl Congrats on the PR! The older and more injury prone I get, it is ironic that I realize how important the MENTAL part of running is.So I can totally understand why you needed that PR. Glad you got it.

rocio Glad you're back to running. I don't really have any good advice, other than "don't run if it hurts!". And I don't think you need to push past 20 (or even 16-18).

Nancy for that knee

I am enjoying the weather in sunny LA this week and won't run til next Tuesday. Hope everyone had a good Turkey Day. So much work for one meal. Why didn't I cater it!

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

I couldn't sign up for an official Turkey Trot yesterday so I ran my own! I have a terrible cold and the stupid race director (me!) picked a hilly course. I finished my 5k in 32:40. I've already had a few people say that they want to run my 5k next THanksgiving.

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #21
dumbo_buddy
DIS Veteran
 
dumbo_buddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: bronx, ny
Posts: 2,228

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Praying to the running gods for you. Hope you can find relief soon.

I am back to running after a month off for a sprained ankle. I need some help planning the rest of my long runs. What do you think of this plan:
11/24: 5 miles (I did 2 miles on Wed and 3 on Thursday. These were my first runs in a month. I'm tempted to try 7. Is that smart)
12/1: 9-10 miles?
12/8: 13-15miles
12/15: 17-20 miles
12/22: 20 -23?
Taper after that
Is this crazy? I have compressed time but.want to get back to do at least 20. Would feel better if I could get a 23 done but don't want hurt myself. Last long run was 17 miles a month ago. Maybe I don't need to build up again? Thoughts?
I have no clue but I'd be interested in hearing what other people say. Good luck! I think the only thing I could say is to just take it easy and listen to your body!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roomthreeseventeen View Post
This is my first peak week (55 miles) and I am faring well so far. Happy for the long weekend and the chance to run in daylight. The other peak weeks won't be nearly as fun.
Wow! That's a lot of miles! Nice work! I have a feeling you will be leaving a lot of is in your dust in january!


Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
froggygrrrl Congrats on the PR! The older and more injury prone I get, it is ironic that I realize how important the MENTAL part of running is.So I can totally understand why you needed that PR. Glad you got it.

rocio Glad you're back to running. I don't really have any good advice, other than "don't run if it hurts!". And I don't think you need to push past 20 (or even 16-18).

Nancy for that knee

I am enjoying the weather in sunny LA this week and won't run til next Tuesday. Hope everyone had a good Turkey Day. So much work for one meal. Why didn't I cater it!

Maura
Thanks so much. Enjoy the weather

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I couldn't sign up for an official Turkey Trot yesterday so I ran my own! I have a terrible cold and the stupid race director (me!) picked a hilly course. I finished my 5k in 32:40. I've already had a few people say that they want to run my 5k next THanksgiving.

Amanda
Well if you're not too far in westchester I will run your 5k too! You will have to give it a good name

***

Went to my PT appointment today. He still doesn't think there is anying structurally wrong, just perhaps some soft tissue damage. It is so frustrating being in the much pain for a whole week already. Hopefully it will be feeling better soon. Each day that passes makes me more and more worried about the marathon
__________________
Nancy
dumbo_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #22
cewait
DIS Veteran
 
cewait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm
Posts: 5,691

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
__________________
_________________
Coach Charles
Perfectly Goofy 2006-2014
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #23
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!
 
Weluvdisny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Central NY
Posts: 3,051

Ran a 10k Turkey Trot and the weather was just beautiful!! I got a PR of 58:52, but the best part is I didn't have to run by myself! I had four other friends that came with me. We had a great time!
__________________
2/00 - ASMo & Villas @ DI, 1/03 & 1/06 - POR, 1/08 - POP & BWV, 11/08 - SSR, 1/10, 1/11, 1/12, 10/13 & 1/15-BWV, 8/12 AKV, 1/13 & 3/14 - CSR, 1/15-VWL


Last edited by Weluvdisny; 11-23-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:42 PM   #24
rocio
DIS Veteran
 
rocio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 537

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Happy Thanksgiving everyone.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too Coach! And to everybody else! I am thankful that I got to run again
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:14 PM   #25
DisneyRunnerGirl
If you see me sitting in a rocking chair, it's because I'm tying my running shoes.
 
DisneyRunnerGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 298

Happy Thanksgiving to All! Wonderful weather yesterday for the over 3,500 in the Flying Feather Four Miler. My sister and I had a great time bringing up the back of the pack as the balloon team.

We don't sweep people like the Disney team, but make sure you don't finish last! I love being able to give back to our local running community this way as a volunteer. Helps me remember and honor those who were so supportive of me when I first started running and re-energizes my own training for my first full.

Next up will be the Holiday Run, but I will be doing that solo since my sister will be visiting her daughter and my son at WDW where both are cast members. I will be in an elf hat hat and she will be in mouse ears that weekend. Great headgear no matter how you look at it! LOL.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
__________________
DisneyRunnerGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
steph0808
Mouseketeer
 
steph0808's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: PA
Posts: 299

I did my long run (18) today because the weather is supposed to be crappy here in PA tomorrow. It was great except for a downpour between miles 9-12 when I thought about calling it quits (but would have had to call someone to pick me up - which would take 30 minutes when I could just run 60 minutes back to my car).

My 18 went a lot better today than my 17 did last Saturday! Felt great!
__________________
5k PR - 25:52
10k PR - 56:31
Half Marathon PR - 1:58:59
Marathon PR - 6:42:53
steph0808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #27
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran
 
DrMomof3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Westchester, NY
Posts: 4,694

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbo_buddy View Post
Well if you're not too far in westchester I will run your 5k too! You will have to give it a good name

***

Went to my PT appointment today. He still doesn't think there is anying structurally wrong, just perhaps some soft tissue damage. It is so frustrating being in the much pain for a whole week already. Hopefully it will be feeling better soon. Each day that passes makes me more and more worried about the marathon
I'm in Scarsdale but I work in the Bronx.

I hope you start to feel better!!!

Amanda
__________________
Proud mom to DS age 10 DD age 8 DS age 6
Ran the Disney Half-Marathon 2011; Full Marathon 2012; ToT 2012; GOOFY 2013; Princess 2013; 10k and full marathon 2014
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 12:40 AM   #28
belle2211
DIS Veteran
 
belle2211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Right behind the Magic Kingdom
Posts: 1,925

Coach--I couldn't reply to your post to me from the last thread so I'm pasting it here

Great job and completing 16! Continue rest, ice and elevation. Head to Target or a sports store and get yourself a foam roller. Then google leg foam roller

Here is a good overall set of vids.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF0OP8_PHmo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ProyB...feature=relmfu

The cues are to NOT roll over a joint. Focus on points of tenderness. You can modify down by not putting as much weight on the roller.

If the knee is still painful next week, head to the doc for a look.

I have the stick that I use for my calves after I got bad shin splints in the spring and I haven't had any since. Will the Stick work for my knee too? My knee is feeling lots better. It doesn't hurt when I walk anymore, just if I accidently hit it on something. I haven't run since then since I will be getting new shoes on Sunday and was afraid to run in my old shoes!
belle2211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:15 PM   #29
buckeyecinderella
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 443

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyRunnerGirl
Happy Thanksgiving to All! Wonderful weather yesterday for the over 3,500 in the Flying Feather Four Miler. My sister and I had a great time bringing up the back of the pack as the balloon team.

We don't sweep people like the Disney team, but make sure you don't finish last! I love being able to give back to our local running community this way as a volunteer. Helps me remember and honor those who were so supportive of me when I first started running and re-energizes my own training for my first full.

Next up will be the Holiday Run, but I will be doing that solo since my sister will be visiting her daughter and my son at WDW where both are cast members. I will be in an elf hat hat and she will be in mouse ears that weekend. Great headgear no matter how you look at it! LOL.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
I did the Turkey Trot 5 miler. It is fun running through campus, especially by the stadium. But I almost did Flying Feather. I think I'll do that one next year for a change and the wine! Plus, I think that race organizer does a nice job. I volunteered for them before for Cap City.

I would love to bring up the pack at a local race! Maybe I'll contact them to see if they need any extra volunteers for that job. If not before the marathon then maybe at a race next spring.

I also got to try out my new Garmin on that race. Wonderful! I'm glad I finally bought one. My cell phone app measured 5.2 miles. Garmin 4.93. So maybe the watch will keep me more honest with mileage. Also, the miles were not marked on the course, or if they were I never noticed them!
buckeyecinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:37 PM   #30
Sabeking
DIS Veteran
 
Sabeking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NC
Posts: 1,353

Hey Everyone got a question. Sorry if it is a repeat; haven't been here for a few weeks. Were the Christmas decorations up still during the race last year?? Thanks!
__________________
Rock-n-Roll Marathon 2014
Flying Pirate Half marathon 2014- Kitty Hawk
Sabeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: