Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #2236
Cruz91
Always at Disney in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Many runners run a marathon within a year of starting to run. You will be more than ready
I decided in Oct 2011 that I would run the 2012 WDW full. I made it. I was in decent health, and only 38, but with that long to train, you'll be fine.

So after such a short training, I ended up finishing the full right at a 16 m/m pace. I was really hoping to knock an hour off of this year's time with better training. I'm pretty sure I could do it with cooler temps - but with the weather forecast as it is, I've resigned myself to the same goals as last year - Don't die, Finish. If I do those two things, I'll enjoy my DATW Monday! :-)
WH - Christmas '10 - OUR 10th trip!!
WBC - Spring Break '11, WH/WBC - June '11 (Surprise Trip)
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
AS-Sports - Solo Marathon Weekend '12 - I DID IT!!
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
Paradise Palms- TGiving '12 (also our 15th wedding anniversary)
AS Spo - Jan '13 Solo Marathon (again)
DW DH DD11 DS9
Cruz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:50 AM   #2237
ironz
could always use some pixie dust

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444 View Post
If you could have one thing (within reason - like don't say, Ryan Hall's speed) ready for you at mile 20 of the marathon, what would you request?

For me, an ice cold 12oz can of fully carbonated coca-cola. I don't think I would drink the entire thing, but man I would probably pay $5 an ounce. I have pondered the option of stopping at McDonalds, just don't know if I would pull the trigger.
I'm totally going to find a coke somewhere on the course. We're Ironmen... we know how *magic* a cold coke can be during a marathon! I don't worry too much if it isn't carbonated...I'm not extremely lady-like when running anyway. If I can't find a Coke at WWOS (vending machine? or kiosk?), then I may have to wait until DHS. AK is prob too early.

"The miles aren't going to run themselves."

ironz is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 11:53 AM   #2238
guava
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you could have one thing (within reason - like don't say, Ryan Hall's speed) ready for you at mile 20 of the marathon, what would you request?
Not sure if it is within reason, but I'd go for sky covered in clouds and a cold front moving through!

Wanted to wish Coach good luck with interview Friday!

Wanted to wish everyone safe and happy travels and a great weekend of running!
guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 AM   #2239
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:

For me, an ice cold 12oz can of fully carbonated coca-cola. I don't think I would drink the entire thing, but man I would probably pay $5 an ounce. I have pondered the option of stopping at McDonalds, just don't know if I would pull the trigger.
I suppose wishing for fresh legs and/or a cold front would be out of the question?

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #2240
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUfan4444
Beer. A nice, cold Racer 5 IPA would be just perfect.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #2241
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

I am feeling totally nervous! At this point with my last long run 2.5 weeks ago, I do indeed feel like I am losing fitness. I did several 4-5 mile runs since, but didn't have time for another 8-10 miler as I intended last weekend.... oh well!

Good luck everyone ... have fun!!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #2242
Cruz91

Coach...

...I did have a question about something you said in the weather thread. I think you were eluding to over hydration during the race? Is that an issue some see? I think I may have done that last year, and could have been part of my problem...
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
DW DH DD11 DS9
Old 01-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #2243
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
I am feeling totally nervous! At this point with my last long run 2.5 weeks ago, I do indeed feel like I am losing fitness. I did several 4-5 mile runs since, but didn't have time for another 8-10 miler as I intended last weekend.... oh well!

You'll be fine. My last long run (20) was was 2.5 weeks ago too. But that is Galloway's training plan so I'm not nervous at all. I did a 6 or 7 miler. Okay, I take it back I AM nervous, but not about finishing. Just pre-race jitters that are normal.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:10 PM   #2244
Cruz91

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
You'll be fine. My last long run (20) was was 2.5 weeks ago too. But that is Galloway's training plan so I'm not nervous at all. I did a 6 or 7 miler. Okay, I take it back I AM nervous, but not about finishing. Just pre-race jitters that are normal.
Me too. My last long run (22) was over 2 weeks ago (almost 3). I've done a couple mid-length runs since on the mill (a 12 or so and a couple at 8-10 miles), but not many shorter runs. I have done some cross training stuff (exercise bike mostly).

We'll be there for each other! Well, most of you won't be there for me, you'll be long gone and out ahead of me, but, you know, metaphorically speaking, I'll feel your vibes urging me on! ;-)

I'm just hoping for some more cool shirts. Those really helped get me through last year. What else inspired you guys through? I remember one man with a "Quadruple Bypass Survivor" shirt. I remember another younger man who was literally dragging one foot behind him as he was walking around the course (pretty obvious he had some sort of debilitating issue) - just seeing the resolve, determination on his face helped me immensely! Then I remember some of the signs... Oh they're awesome. "Chuck Norris never ran a marathon". :-)

So close...
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
DW DH DD11 DS9
Old 01-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #2245
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post

I am in the same boat, sunshine girl so don't feel like you're alone! I am sure that you will do just fine- try not to get too nervous and just go with that "oh well" attitude. If you're like me, it is starting to feel very strange with the taper/fitness levels- but I think thats normal.

Best of luck!!

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:45 PM   #2246
tedhowe
Dad to Grace and Joy

I'm sitting outside Mickey's Star Traders waiting for DW and the DD's to finish up at Tomorrowland Speedway, so I have a moment for a weather report.

Today is a lot like yesterday temp-wise (right about 80 at 1:30 p.m.) but it feels a bit more humid. We had light rain from 10:30 - 11:30, which only added to the moisture in the air. The sun then came out and we started to bake.

I'm glad the half should be over for everyone by 10 am and I'm hoping you full marathoners can catch a break on Sunday.

Stay hydrated everyone!
5K PR: 29:16 11/22/2012
HM PR: 2:28:15 11/18/12

In Training for my first full marathon: Philadelphia 11/23/2014
tedhowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM   #2247
ZellyB
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
I'm really feeling a bit panicked about this as well. My 20 mile run was way back around the first of November. I've done a few 8-10 milers since, but worried anyway. But, I'm also a Galloway walk/runner, so I just have to remind myself that if I have to walk more and slow down to finish it I can do that. Once I'm there, I plan to just sit back, relax and enjoy the atmosphere and soak it all in.
ZellyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:14 PM   #2248
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
I just have to remind myself that if I have to walk more and slow down to finish it I can do that. Once I'm there, I plan to just sit back, relax and enjoy the atmosphere and soak it all in.
Good frame of mind, that's my plan too

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #2249
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZellyB View Post
But, I'm also a Galloway walk/runner, so I just have to remind myself that if I have to walk more and slow down to finish it I can do that. Once I'm there, I plan to just sit back, relax and enjoy the atmosphere and soak it all in.
I'm doing the walk/run too (for the first time in a race) so I'm hoping that proves helpful and enjoyable. Good attitude and good reminder re: soaking it all in! I want to approach it the same way. I don't really care about my finish time!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #2250
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz91 View Post
...I did have a question about something you said in the weather thread. I think you were eluding to over hydration during the race? Is that an issue some see? I think I may have done that last year, and could have been part of my problem...
Yes, it can be a problem. The best thing we can all do in a race that is hotter than we have trained is to rely on hydration rates developed through our training. There is no magic rate or method for deciding how to address a suddenly hot race. The simplest thing I can say is trust your training and run like you have trained. Since it is a little warmer, you will need to up the hydration rate& I suggest drinking to thirst. If you were planning on taking on a cup per stop, then stay with that up front and add a cup if you are seemingly thirsty. I do suggest drinking a sport drink. Use caution if you have not trained with it. The good news is that it is half strength at the race to aid mixing and help with runners digestion. A great way to titrate into a run when you have not trained for it is to take it at Stop 1 or 2 and mix with a cup of water. That makes it about quarter strength. Drink that and chase with water. Skip the next stop. If you are not feeling it in the gut, then take some more and start to ramp up to a cup at an aid station.

On another note, if you start to feel sloshing in the stomach as you run later in the race stop taking on fuel and/or sport drink until the sloshing stops. This is a sign of taking on too much fuel or a strong cup of sport drink and the stomach is having troubles pushing it through. It stops accepting additional volumes and what you are hearing/feeling is that back up. The bad thing here is that the stomach is attempting to pull liquids from the body to process this issue; even though there may be more than enough just behind the problem. You may want to slow up so that the body can spare some blood volume for this process. Generally, less than a few moments and it is gone. You can resume drinking after this slows/stops. Though, you may not feel thirsty as the body processes the slug of liquids that were just sloshing.

I do not mean to scare folks, only make folks aware that doubling water volumes this weekend is not required. It may be an urge that a newer runner has to fight as the cooling effect of that cup of water will feel great and your mind will seek another. Again, drink to thirst and slow up
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: