Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 PM   #2056
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

After the heat/humidity nightmare that was the Tower of Terror 10 Miler, I'm really getting scared of running 26.2 miles in conditions that for a lot of the run (I'm in Corral G) will be just as hot and nearly as humid, plus sun. Hoping for a weather miracle, but I'm just trying to figure out how not to get sick from the heat. Again. And trying to figure out how not to completely psyche myself out about the heat before Sunday even gets here.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #2057
DisDan09
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStitch View Post
After the heat/humidity nightmare that was the Tower of Terror 10 Miler, I'm really getting scared of running 26.2 miles in conditions that for a lot of the run (I'm in Corral G) will be just as hot and nearly as humid, plus sun. Hoping for a weather miracle, but I'm just trying to figure out how not to get sick from the heat. Again. And trying to figure out how not to completely psyche myself out about the heat before Sunday even gets here.
You can do this. Yes its warmer than normal but you and the other thousands of us will be smart, hydrate properly, slow our pace, dress right and get thru it as one big sweaty mass of Disney running loving fools Pay attention to what Coach Charles has been posting in regards to running in the heat. (Make sure you read thru the weather thread) and you will get through this in good order
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #2058
aliron
Mouseketeer

Don't psyche yourself out

I ran the ToT also. It was my first 10 miler and most I ran. I checked a weather site and it states that low for the day was 73 with a high of 90. I am not sure but figure that race time was about 85-90 degrees. The humidty was terrible. I remember a lot of people just laying out after the finish and I just kept moving along with the medics being very busy. I just gabbed a bag of ice to cool me down.

The big thing as coach has said is to slow down, enjoy the run but stay hydrated. That will be the most imporant thing.

Maybe coach can shed some light, but one race I remember that an anouncement was made that your body will be about 20 degrees warmer than the outside temp once you get going. And has served me well, especially training and running in the colder temps.

This is my first full. I know that i can do the half in about 3 hours or just shy. Hope that holds up as that is when it is below 50. Once i hit the half and should be about 9:20, it is change my intervals to run/walk the same amount and that should keep me good. If need be, i will walk more than I run.. either way, I WILL FINISH THE RACE and get my medal.

So in the end, relax and don't think about it.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:11 PM   #2059
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimandami View Post
There is a Wish meet at Pop Friday night! Not sure what time.

Cool . Thanks. I'll have to check that out!!

Colleen
Mickeyfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM   #2060
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

This may sound obvious, but no sense worrying about the heat of the race since it is completely out of our control. SO lets worry and correct things in our control....

1) Hydration - Start NOW - Nearly clear urine is your goal
2) Dress in light clothing, light in color, weight and of tech fabric
3) reduce sun stress - Visor, shades and sunscreen
4) Slow up - We cool through evaporation. As we workout we generate significant amounts of heat. As ambient temperatures increase and even more the dew points increase (dew point is the wet bulb temperature and is used to develop relative humidity). Basically, the higher the dew point the more difficult for sweat to evaporate and push away heat.

This is only a small stumble in the giant race to get to the finish line. We can only perform as well as our talents, training and perseverance will carry us this weekend. We've seen these temps before, let's slow up a bit and enjoy the course.

aliron Generally, you are correct. There is an axiom that says on the run the temperatures will feel 20F hotter than actual. That is why experienced runners are more than likely to run on a 45F day in short sleeves or a singlet and not in a long-sleeved or layered dress. On a cool day, it can be miserable at the line, but once we hit 5-8 minutes into the race, it starts to feel good.

I did a little looking for the race temps of the ToT. The start temps were 78F but relative humidity 85%. That produces a heat index of about 85F. Generally a less than fun day to run unless you have been running in that heat for a while.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:29 PM   #2061
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

The hard part is deciding what to wear. I'm supposed to wear what I trained in, but my black tech shirt and black shorts might not be the best choice for hot and sunny conditions!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 01-07-2013, 08:37 PM   #2062
Tiger Lily 03
Famous for my Potato Salad
Not nekid anymore ;-)
Flashed through and scooped up some beads in NawwwwLins

DISboards Moderator

Anyone use Endurolytes? Opinions?
Tiger Lily 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #2063
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
The hard part is deciding what to wear. I'm supposed to wear what I trained in, but my black tech shirt and black shorts might not be the best choice for hot and sunny conditions!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Kind of a problem... At the risk of opening a floodgate here, there are times that we violate the rules to address even larger issues. Do you have a light colored tech shirt that you feel great in? If you have a tried and true tech shirt - even if you have not trained in it, consider wearing it. As a last resort, I would think about purchasing a shirt from the same manufacturer in white. While this is sub optimal, a heavy dose of lube around the neck, arm holes and inner arms where they may rub the material may be in order. Keep monitoring these areas and relube at an first aid station if a hot spot starts.

If you head down a new shirt route, wash the shirt to get rid of the sizing in the material and try to grab a short run, if you can.

Make sense? The worst thing here is that you create a nasty raw area.

So Coach throws out a rule?
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 PM   #2064
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lily 03 View Post
Anyone use Endurolytes? Opinions?
I use them... started in a race situation when I talked it over with an IM HI buddy.

I need to say that I sweat heavily on the run and my sweat has a very high electrolytic component to it -- i.e. black shorts and bike pants look white after 3+ hours on a humid day. It is also noticeably deposited on non-black clothing.

Read the instructions and understand how to take them.. Too many or without enough water can put you on the side of the road. If you follow the lower end of dosage, you should do well. These as compared with others brands have a higher buffer component that will help keep you from having GI issues as readily.

I carry in the bottom of a fanny pack in a zip lock. I take the initial dose in the room then take more every hour as I run.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-07-2013, 09:34 PM   #2065
pjupton
Mouseketeer

Need spectator help for the half! DH is corral A and planning to run about a 7:45 pace. I'll be at BCV with our none-year-old boys. I'd like to try to get to the MK & see him on Main St, then monorail back to see him at mile 12. If we see him finish, great, but if we don't, no big deal.

Do we need to take a runner bus to Epcot, then monorail to TTC & MK? Those busses stop at 4 AM, correct? Do you think we'll be able to get back in time to catch him at mile 12/entering Epcot?

If we skip the MK and just try to catch him at mile 12, how can we get from BCV to Epcot around 6-6:30 am? I'm running the full & could use the sleep. What's our best bet?

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Beach Club October 2005, POP October 2006, POP October 2007, VWL & BCV Sept/Oct 2008, OKW November 2009, AKV February 2010, Pop/BC/OKW Sept/Oct 2010, BCV Sept/Oct 2011, AKL/BCV June 2012, ASSports Sept 2012, POP Nov 2012, BCV Jan 2013
first DCL trip - Magic Western Caribbean 4/2/11
RunDisney Races - EEC 2008, W&D half marathon 2010, 2011, 2012, ToT 10-miler 2012, WDW full marathon 2013

pjupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #2066
DrMomof3
DIS Veteran

I want to share my story from last year when the temps were similar. I made the mistake of over hydrating and managed to lower my body's salt content (hyponatremia is the medical term). I got too hot and felt sick so I started drinking 2-3 glasses of PowerAde at every water stop. Big mistake! Now when I get warm, I dump water on my head and drink PowerAde (one glass per water stop!). This worked really well even at ToT.

Amanda
Poly 01/2008; SSR 05/2009; CR 12/2009; YC 04/2010; BCV 08/2010; Poly CL 01/2011; BLT 08/2011; Swan 10/2011; GF CL 01/2012; Vero Beach 04/2012; Cabins 06/2012; WBC 08/2012; BCV 09/2012; Poly 1/2013; HGV 02/2013; WL, Kidani, SSR, Boardwalk in 2013; BLT 2014

Half-marathon PTR BCV Trip Report Half Marathon Trip Report Aug 2011 PTR
Aug 2011 TR
Multi-Trip 2012 PTR Running and Europe, 2014-15
Disney Dream
August 2013 PTR Aug 2013 TR
DrMomof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:35 PM   #2067
pjupton
Mouseketeer

One more question - for the Mickey Mile, will all the kids run at once on the given day or are there waves for it too?

Beach Club October 2005, POP October 2006, POP October 2007, VWL & BCV Sept/Oct 2008, OKW November 2009, AKV February 2010, Pop/BC/OKW Sept/Oct 2010, BCV Sept/Oct 2011, AKL/BCV June 2012, ASSports Sept 2012, POP Nov 2012, BCV Jan 2013
first DCL trip - Magic Western Caribbean 4/2/11
RunDisney Races - EEC 2008, W&D half marathon 2010, 2011, 2012, ToT 10-miler 2012, WDW full marathon 2013

pjupton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:47 PM   #2068
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjupton View Post
Need spectator help for the half! DH is corral A and planning to run about a 7:45 pace. I'll be at BCV with our none-year-old boys. I'd like to try to get to the MK & see him on Main St, then monorail back to see him at mile 12. If we see him finish, great, but if we don't, no big deal.

Do we need to take a runner bus to Epcot, then monorail to TTC & MK? Those busses stop at 4 AM, correct? Do you think we'll be able to get back in time to catch him at mile 12/entering Epcot?

If we skip the MK and just try to catch him at mile 12, how can we get from BCV to Epcot around 6-6:30 am? I'm running the full & could use the sleep. What's our best bet?

Looking at my spreadsheet, he should be at Main about 6:10-6:15 and at mile 12 around 7:7:15. I am going to say that this is probably not a doable double. I am not saying that it is impossible, but it would be close.

Note that the buses actually run up to 0500, according to Disney, though I would try to get on an earlier one - 0430. If you happen to get out at the last moment or a bus is running a little late, you may not get into the parking lot on a bus, so I would not cut a corner too far here.

Regardless of where you attempt to spot him, you will need to be on a bus as described. I would think that I would shoot for MK then attempt an Epcot mile 12 spot.

Probably not the exact answer you were hunting for.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-07-2013, 09:51 PM   #2069
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Thank you everybody for the hot weather suggestions! I read through the weather thread (I hadn't seen it in several days & it grew a lot), and I feel a little better about being prepared and doing the best possible under the circumstances. I ran the Tower of Terror slower than I'd ever run anything, but it still wasn't slow enough. I'll definitely have to think about dumping water on my head as needed. I'll also be spending quality time with character photos along the route, at least until I start seeing balloon ladies.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 PM   #2070
stitchfan18
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMomof3 View Post
I want to share my story from last year when the temps were similar. I made the mistake of over hydrating and managed to lower my body's salt content (hyponatremia is the medical term). I got too hot and felt sick so I started drinking 2-3 glasses of PowerAde at every water stop. Big mistake! Now when I get warm, I dump water on my head and drink PowerAde (one glass per water stop!). This worked really well even at ToT.

Amanda
Ditto! Same thing happened to me. I got really sick after the race, and after going through what I did differently during the race, I realized I drank way more than I should have or needed.

stitchfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: