Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #1936
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by McDuck View Post
I am coming down with a cold. I guess better now than Wednesday. Praying it clears up soon. I am downing green tea, vitamin c, and taking zicam religiously.

I commiserate with the PP about fundraising. We set a goal of $500 for Team Gleason for ALS patients -- on our own we wanted to fundraise and run for them -- but I am not very good at fundraising, I have discovered. Of donations I know about (don't know how many donations were made direct before we recently got a FirstGiving page, the link in my sig is direct to the charity), we have raised $101.20. I know that good can still be done with that, though!

Less than a week! I am working on our post race shirts on my embroidery machine. Which I better turn my focus back to before it eats my BFF's shirt! It ate my practice shirt and broke the needle. It's a bit Fatal Attraction---it will not be ignored!
I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling inept at fundraising. It's a good attitude to look at what you DID raise and know that even amounts under your goal can do some good. Now I will try to adopt that instead of the feeling of "failure" attitude.

Thanks for the giggle over the Fatal Attraction embroidery machine! They tend to alternate between feeling like watching paint dry and being obnoxiously high maintenance. Good luck!

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #1937
McDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStitch

I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling inept at fundraising. It's a good attitude to look at what you DID raise and know that even amounts under your goal can do some good. Now I will try to adopt that instead of the feeling of "failure" attitude.

Thanks for the giggle over the Fatal Attraction embroidery machine! They tend to alternate between feeling like watching paint dry and being obnoxiously high maintenance. Good luck!
Glad I gave you a giggle. Got the words done on all three shirts last night; today is adding Donald to them.

And, yes, don't feel like a failure. I'm on my phone so I can't see your sig--which charity are you supporting?

McDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #1938
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney_runner View Post
Well, this is new. Anyone else have some pretty bad back pain? And what to do about it 6 days before the races? I thought I just slept funny Friday night, but it lasted all day Saturday. And still here today. In the lower back. It hurts most when sitting, and then moving positions. Kinda OK while standing. Sleeping was not good. Ibuprofen didn't do much yesterday. I may try heat later today.

Sometimes I'll have pain in the lower back from time to time, but it's usually gone after a few hours. It's never lasted more than an entire day. I have no clue what I did to cause it. Friday was 8 miles, A-OK. Went to sleep as normal. Dog jumps on the bed at 5:30am, as normal, and that's when I felt it. He's a big dog, but it wasn't from him.

I'll be doing an elliptical workout today instead of running. No way I can run with this pain. Geeez, just one more thing to add to my list....
Advice? Thanks.
Thinking stress from thinking of the upcoming weekend; though lower back would not be the typical spot. I would not hit the elliptical if you are reading this before heading out. Better to rest the muscle and allow it time to heal.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #1939
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Glad I gave you a giggle. Got the words done on all three shirts last night; today is adding Donald to them.

And, yes, don't feel like a failure. I'm on my phone so I can't see your sig--which charity are you supporting?
I'm supporting Give Kids the World.

Are you using a Brother Embroidery machine?

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:07 AM   #1940
McDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStitch View Post
I'm supporting Give Kids the World.

Are you using a Brother Embroidery machine?
Great cause!

Yes, I have the PE770

Old 01-06-2013, 11:16 AM   #1941
Rose&Mike
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well, this is new. Anyone else have some pretty bad back pain? And what to do about it 6 days before the races? I thought I just slept funny Friday night, but it lasted all day Saturday. And still here today. In the lower back. It hurts most when sitting, and then moving positions. Kinda OK while standing. Sleeping was not good. Ibuprofen didn't do much yesterday. I may try heat later today.

Sometimes I'll have pain in the lower back from time to time, but it's usually gone after a few hours. It's never lasted more than an entire day. I have no clue what I did to cause it. Friday was 8 miles, A-OK. Went to sleep as normal. Dog jumps on the bed at 5:30am, as normal, and that's when I felt it. He's a big dog, but it wasn't from him.

I'll be doing an elliptical workout today instead of running. No way I can run with this pain. Geeez, just one more thing to add to my list....
Advice? Thanks.
I have a lot of problems with my lower back. Here are a couple of things I do that work for me--but just a note, I have been to pt for this, so this is what they suggested for my specific problem.

I lay on my back with a tennis ball under me and roll around on the tennis ball. It kind of works like a foam roller except very focused. It is very painful sometimes, but really loosens the muscle up. I do a stretch where I lay on my back, one leg raised, towel looped around foot and then pull leg over other leg. I also have found that hanging upside down really works. There is a machine at the Y that I use, but if you have a sturdy sofa/chair you could also use that. the pivot should be at your hips.

Be careful with running and a tight back. It really aggravates my itband and my rule of thumb from experience is if I can't touch the ground in forward fold, I don't run. I walk and do yoga stretches until I can.

If all else fails you could try a massage. I was so miserable before w&d I scheduled a massage. None of my tricks were working. It really helped.

Good luck and I hope you feel better.
Old 01-06-2013, 11:19 AM   #1942
JeffW
Mouseketeer

Quote:

Advice? Thanks.
Back (ok, way back) in college, when I was a rower, tight hamstrings/glutes were as much of a cause for low back tightness and pain as something done directly to the back, assuming your pain is muscle related.

On those days, we'd skip the rowing and instead do something really light to warm up the muscles (10ish minutes of walking and light SLOW "windmills"), then spend 30 minutes to an hour stretching everything on the backside of our body (calf, hamstring, glutes, low back, obliques, lats, and traps). The key was stretching for a long time, rotating through each muscle group and slowly stretching everything out. You don't want to overstretch and damage something.

I actually find, during a taper, that I get a lot more stiff than during peak training periods. I always attribute this to lack of a complete stretch after runs, because mentally I'm viewing them as short and easy taper runs.
JeffW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:31 AM   #1943
disney_runner
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the quick replies! I appreciate it.

My DH (who has degenerative disc disease, herniated discs, fused discs, etc) also said it probably is stress. Mostly cuz I didn't do anything directly to cause anything. Who knows.

I like the tennis ball thing, not sure what the puppy will think when I'm "hiding" his ball under my back though! Should be cute. I'll give it a try. That and some light massage too.

The stretching thing has me intruigued as well since I do have a recurring left leg hamstring pull. It's been great for the last few months, but I recently got over a left leg groin pull too. I'll try everything.

Thank you!! Sooooooo ready to have those 3 medals in my hands......

Medals received: 2008 WDW Half ~ 2010 Princess Half + 2010 Disneyland Half = Coast to Coast ~ 2011 WDW Full ~ 2011 Wine & Dine Half ~ 2012 WDW Marathon Relay ~ 2012 Expedition Everest Challenge ~ 2013 Goofy Challenge ~ 2013 Dumbo Double Dare + C2C

Medals pending: 2014 ToT 10 miler, 2015 Dopey Challenge, 2017 January Half w/daughter, 2018 Glass Slipper Challenge, 2018 Tinkerbell Half, Avengers Half??
disney_runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #1944
liznboys
I wish upon stars!
I met the Tag Fairy in VMK!

Hang in there Tanya! I hope your back feels better in the next day or so!
liznboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:51 AM   #1945
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Great cause!

Yes, I have the PE770
Nice machine! I aspire to get a Brother machine, but that's going to have to wait for a bunch of paychecks and bills to go by.

Old 01-06-2013, 11:59 AM   #1946
McDuck
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroStitch View Post
Nice machine! I aspire to get a Brother machine, but that's going to have to wait for a bunch of paychecks and bills to go by.
I know what you mean. I was only able to finally get mine after some generous cash gifts toward it from my in-laws and parents.

Well, this illness doesn't feel worse today, a teensy bit better, so hopefully I'll have shaken this before the race. I am heartened to know we at least won't be freezing during the Half this year, but the temps clinch I am carrying a water bottle for nips between water stations.

I went ahead and did up a playlist just in case I end up needing my iPod for encouragement during the stretch between MK and Epcot during the Half. I am so excited for this race!!!!!

Old 01-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #1947
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know what you mean. I was only able to finally get mine after some generous cash gifts toward it from my in-laws and parents.

Well, this illness doesn't feel worse today, a teensy bit better, so hopefully I'll have shaken this before the race. I am heartened to know we at least won't be freezing during the Half this year, but the temps clinch I am carrying a water bottle for nips between water stations.

I went ahead and did up a playlist just in case I end up needing my iPod for encouragement during the stretch between MK and Epcot during the Half. I am so excited for this race!!!!!
Hooray for gifts that help you reach your dreams!

I hope you feel better well before the race. It looks like we're going to have to worry about heat instead of cold this year. Good idea to have extra hydration available in between water stations, just in case.

Old 01-06-2013, 12:25 PM   #1948
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Does anyone have any news on what's happening with the Waiver system?

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #1949
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicLAL12
Does anyone have any news on what's happening with the Waiver system?
Continued computer problems on Disney's end. Hopefully resolved sometime today.

Went to print mine after finally bought new ink toner. I hope this is up before weekend as i just dont want to stand in line to print there.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #1950
Mickeyfan74
Mouseketeer

i have yet to be able to check-in online. Problems with web page.
Currently on hold to see if i can get help. Long wait......
Mickeyfan74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: