Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #1831
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

With the temperatures looking to be rather favorable, what is your plan for throw down clothes? How much or how little are you going to layer up?
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #1832
chris84bond
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
I love the KT idea as it is sticky, micro fiber based (at least the pro) and would last the entire weekend.

Definitely avoid purposefully using Vaseline; go with body glide as it will not ruin the tach fabric over the goo. The obvious exception is if you find a hot spot during the race, all med tents offer Vaseline so in that case go with it.

For nips, I use small 1" band aids with a little body glide over them. I will let them stay for the weekend - assuming they stay on in the shower. I actually take care of the hair before coming to Disney to avoid the painful post race removal. Though, this year I may be looking at the new KT use.
I have nothing but good things to say about the KT tape way (As I'm sure you can tell). I actually use the pro on injuries and the regular stuff as nip guards(as I have a ton and it's cheaper), no issues at all with it coming off. Completely customization in size as well for those who may larger areas covered. I haven't tried it on inner thighs for chaffing yet - gonna stick with bodyglide for that as it's proven well in the past.

Also, as Coach just eluded to - if you haven't users KT tape before, it will last several days without any edge feathering - but you need to apply it on 1) clean skin and in my experience 2) shaved skin(hair removal). I know guys are always hesitant to shave legs or parts of legs, but in the past year, I've shaved side of knee, thigh, and lower leg (for ankle stuff) and it's stayed for a week. If you want it to stick well, it's worth the clean shave.
chris84bond is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #1833
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal
With the temperatures looking to be rather favorable, what is your plan for throw down clothes? How much or how little are you going to layer up?
If it's really in the mid-60s, I probably won't have any throw away clothes on. Maybe a top if there's a chill from the dew point, but certainly no bottoms.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:51 AM   #1834
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
Not sure where to post this but since this group has been so helpful for all my marathon questions, I thought someone might be able to shed some light on the kids' races.

Our son is doing the 200 meter Saturday at 11am. Do all the 4-6 year olds run at one time or do they break them down into different groups? (I'm trying to make a lunch reservation and wondering what time we could be at the Poly.)

One additional question, is it pretty obvious where to park and go to meet up with runners after the marathon on Sunday? Our parents aren't at all familiar with Disney. They don't have park tickets but would like to see my husband and I finish. If I just tell them to park at Epcot and head to the finish area is that sufficient or should I provide more detailed directions?

Thanks!
Big white tents that can be seen from the tram

It's pretty obvious.. Other clues, look to the east or left as they approach the park entrance. Follow the noise would be the final.

Here is a map of the course... Change the layer to Satellite and zoom in on the finish. The 2012 marathon finish is in the parking lot of the satellite photo.

http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/156764913/
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #1835
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
If it's really in the mid-60s, I probably won't have any throw away clothes on. Maybe a top if there's a chill from the dew point, but certainly no bottoms.
I would couch it a little less than favorable. I will be a singlet and shorts. No need for throw down clothing. I also may have a sleeved shirt for teh staging area that gets checked... though more than likely with pre-race nerves I will be glistening even in the staging area.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #1836
Princess Steph
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post

Although, is taping one of those things where you should try running with it first? Or if it bothers me during the race, can I just rip it off?
Either the tape will help or it won't. You can always take it off if it's bothering you in anyway. Did the PT look at what your foot is doing while running? The knee just connects the foot and the hip. Usually a compensation for something happening above or below. A weak hip or flat foot will cause knee pain. Just something else to consider. Be sure to ask for the tape, the owner probably will not remember. Do not be afraid to remind him.
Princess Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:59 AM   #1837
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal
I won't have any throw down. I might wear a light LS top on the bus but I will leave it in my checked bag. The current forecast will be too warm for any layers and I don't want to be hot at the start, I'll be sweaty soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #1838
Bephus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bephus

I won't have any throw down. I might wear a light LS top on the bus but I will leave it in my checked bag. The current forecast will be too warm for any layers and I don't want to be hot at the start, I'll be sweaty soon enough.

I also have revamped my costume to now be a white skirt and blue tank, no yellow tights for Donald. No way I am running 26 miles with tights on!! I would not make it, lol. Now I need to go glue buttons to safety pins and make a sailor collar!

2013 Race Schedule:
Disney Marathon - 20th Anniversary
26.2 With Donna 1/2 Marathon
Princess 1/2 Marathon - Girl's Weekend!!!
Tour de Pain Extreme - It's Extremely Fun!! 10K, 1/2 Marathon and 5K in 24 hours
Dumbo Double Dare! Coast to Coast for my 35th Birthday
Savannah Rock'n Roll 1/2 Marathon
St Augustine 1/2 Marathon
Subaru Distance Classic 1/2 Marathon
Space Coast Marathon

Bephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #1839
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi

I prefer BodyGlide since it's not nearly as messy and sticky as Vaseline. As long as it's not overly hot and humid (like 90 degrees and 90%), a good application of it before I head out will usually last me the entire race. BodyGlide also comes in little mini sticks that fit into a pocket. If you don't want to take the chance, then use band-aids or NipGuards.
NipGuards are my choice for any run over 1.5 hours.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:06 AM   #1840
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by saremmons View Post
Last year when I ran the 5K we ran out through the International Gateway and then back in through a back stage area. My daughter is running the 5K and part of our family was wanting to wait out by the International Gateway (outside the park by walkway to to BC). Based on the map it looks like it goes that way again. Do you think this is doable? My husband and I are will be at the start/finish.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/fullscreen/37052596/

Yes... and No. The course leaves the park and loops around the old tramway loop. However, there is a hard gate a little further back from that point. They could watch the race but it is from a slight distance. If you zoom in on the map and look at the IGate segment, you will notice that the I Gate crosses over Epcot Resort Blvd. There is a hard gate (two white posts - you can see the gate shadow) on the west side of that overpass and the race stays on the east. I am not sure it will be light enough that they will be able to see you daughter or she them.

Not sure if I really helped. The short answer is that they can see the parade, but maybe not individuals, in my opinion.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #1841
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Steph View Post
Either the tape will help or it won't. You can always take it off if it's bothering you in anyway. Did the PT look at what your foot is doing while running? The knee just connects the foot and the hip. Usually a compensation for something happening above or below. A weak hip or flat foot will cause knee pain. Just something else to consider. Be sure to ask for the tape, the owner probably will not remember. Do not be afraid to remind him.
Agree
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Old 01-05-2013, 08:13 AM   #1842
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I know you're not supposed to run with anything new, but since the weather is getting warmer and warmer, I may just buy a sparkle skirt at the expo and then have my legs taped. My CW-X Revolution tights aren't as thick as the Performx so I'm still unsure as to what I'll do. I have some old, ripped up hoodies and I'll throw one in my bag and wear it then ditch it at the start if needed.

Old 01-05-2013, 08:15 AM   #1843
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I know you're not supposed to run with anything new, but since the weather is getting warmer and warmer, I may just buy a sparkle skirt at the expo and then have my legs taped. My CW-X Revolution tights aren't as thick as the Performx so I'm still unsure as to what I'll do. I have some old, ripped up hoodies and I'll throw one in my bag and wear it then ditch it at the start if needed.

You may want to have another plan. Sparkle Skirts will not be at the Expo But since she is somewhat local, Leah made the offer on Facebook to bring your skirt to your Disney resort if you order NOW.
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:16 AM   #1844
jmasgat
DIS Veteran

Looks like WISH will be well represented at the special RunDisney meet. Two other people on the boards that I know of got in.

Just wish RunDisney would find a better way than first come first served to do this. It filled in <15 minutes. Not really fair to those who can't sit on their computer waiting for the signup to happen. (And I don't mean me. Other than seeing Joan Benoit Samuelson, I don't need to put any more miles on my legs before the races!)

Maura
jmasgat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #1845
cewait
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmasgat View Post
Looks like WISH will be well represented at the special RunDisney meet. Two other people on the boards that I know of got in.

Just wish RunDisney would find a better way than first come first served to do this. It filled in <15 minutes. Not really fair to those who can't sit on their computer waiting for the signup to happen. (And I don't mean me. Other than seeing Joan Benoit Samuelson, I don't need to put any more miles on my legs before the races!)

Maura
I agree, I know a few folks who have been able to grab this slot multiple times. Not flaming them as if I were better connected I would be there also.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: