Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #1816
ahoff
DIS Veteran

Funniest shirt I saw last year at the Half was "It's not a marathon until the nipples bleed". In regards to that, for the halfs I have gotten by with a generous application of vaseline. This year is my first full, and I am not sure it will be enough. What might work better? I have heard bandaids. Is bodyglide preferable over plain vaseline? Thanks!
Old 01-05-2013, 12:23 AM   #1817
Momto2PrncChrmgs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoff
Funniest shirt I saw last year at the Half was "It's not a marathon until the nipples bleed". In regards to that, for the halfs I have gotten by with a generous application of vaseline. This year is my first full, and I am not sure it will be enough. What might work better? I have heard bandaids. Is bodyglide preferable over plain vaseline? Thanks!
I love that! Along those same lines I've seen a bumper sticker that said "toenails are overrated."

1977-Off Site May 2000-Off Site April/May 2005-ASMo May 2007-POP May 2008-POP Jan. 2009-CBR Jan. 2011-POP Jan. 2013-POR Sept. 2014-POP
Momto2PrncChrmgs is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 AM   #1818
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoff
I use the small bandaids. About the size of a penny, keeps bloody pool from forming on your chest. Also avoids any goopy mess like Vaseline. Only pain is minimal chest hair interference when you pull them off.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:49 AM   #1819
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehvalerie View Post
According to their website (http://www.kttape.com/events/) the application is free and tape is sold at a discount. A box (20 strips) is $13-20, but hopefully they'll be selling individual strips or the packs made for specific applications (knee or whatever) which I think are about $10 MSRP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPAM View Post
Okay thanks, maybe I will just plan on doing that. I am planning on an extended retirement from running after this half, just need something to get me through. I am a little worried about it. I am just going to take my time and not pressure myself and walk as much as I need.
I got taped at Disneyland Half, and it was freeeeeeee!!

No need to buy anything.

And that bad boy stayed on for days.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 AM   #1820
Tabetha
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
Did anyone get into the meetup on Friday?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qltrgrl2 View Post
Yes, We were very lucky and will be there! Did you get in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmg148 View Post
I did! I'm looking forward to it! Also looking forward to one less run I have to do at home or at the hotel that week!
Me too! See you there!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:14 AM   #1821
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

So what is the meetup? I missed the announcement. Just curious!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 01-05-2013, 01:26 AM   #1822
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahoff View Post
I prefer BodyGlide since it's not nearly as messy and sticky as Vaseline. As long as it's not overly hot and humid (like 90 degrees and 90%), a good application of it before I head out will usually last me the entire race. BodyGlide also comes in little mini sticks that fit into a pocket. If you don't want to take the chance, then use band-aids or NipGuards.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:21 AM   #1823
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl

I heard about it in the Disney blog and then forgot to look for the sign up on Friday. I'm mad at myself.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:37 AM   #1824
coco392
Mouseketeer

good morning to those about to embark on a cool journey.

it is the the most fun race you'll ever do. enjoy every minute of it.

Remember just one step at a time when things get tough and you'll get there

can't wait for the race 21st birthday next year. will be there with bells on
coco392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:51 AM   #1825
Cruz91
Always at Disney in my mind...

Quote:
I use small water proof bandaids. As with using a bandaid on any area with hair, rip it off quickly when done to minimize pain. I never have any bleeding or anything when using them. Actually, the only thing I've packed so far is two bandaids because it's easy for me to forget those but would have a huge impact on my race! ;-)
WH - Christmas '10 - OUR 10th trip!!
WBC - Spring Break '11, WH/WBC - June '11 (Surprise Trip)
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
AS-Sports - Solo Marathon Weekend '12 - I DID IT!!
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
Paradise Palms- TGiving '12 (also our 15th wedding anniversary)
AS Spo - Jan '13 Solo Marathon (again)
DW DH DD11 DS9
Cruz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #1826
NitroStitch
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post

I never find out about any of the signups until people are cheering about getting in. At least I'm consistent.

I just need to win the lottery in order to have enough time off and money for my Disney fixes. That's all.
NitroStitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #1827
AnotherPrincess
DIS Veteran

For those that got into the meetup, what tips can you give? I'm not going for marathon weekend but I was watching the blog and twitter just to get an understanding of how it works. I was stalking both at the right time and still missed it. When I updated the blog page it completely skipped that post for some reason. So what did you do, see on twitter that sign up was open or update the blog page until you saw the post?
AnotherPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:31 AM   #1828
chris84bond
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz91 View Post
I use small water proof bandaids. As with using a bandaid on any area with hair, rip it off quickly when done to minimize pain. I never have any bleeding or anything when using them. Actually, the only thing I've packed so far is two bandaids because it's easy for me to forget those but would have a huge impact on my race! ;-)
*insert another use for KT tape here*

I take a strip of it, cut it lengthwise, then make roughly 20 + squares out of one strip. At about 50 cents for the strip, makes a little more than 10 runs(taking off afterwards) super cheap, and it stays on extremely well with ZERO chaffing. I actually prefer it more than bandaids as well as in the hot shower afterwards, with water on it, it peels right off, but stays on great.
chris84bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:35 AM   #1829
chris84bond
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by guava View Post
Not sure where to post this but since this group has been so helpful for all my marathon questions, I thought someone might be able to shed some light on the kids' races.

Our son is doing the 200 meter Saturday at 11am. Do all the 4-6 year olds run at one time or do they break them down into different groups? (I'm trying to make a lunch reservation and wondering what time we could be at the Poly.)

<cut>
Thanks!
Daughter did the 200m last year. They run in batches of roughly 50-100 kids, and it took about 7 waves for her to run. Approximate roughly 5 mins per wave and yeah.... If you can get the front / first wave (past all the parents who get their kids there first and push and shove), you'll be fine for noonish, if not, you'll want a later lunch reservation for sure. I'd probably go with later though just to be on the safe side.
chris84bond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:44 AM   #1830
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lerxst View Post
I use the small bandaids. About the size of a penny, keeps bloody pool from forming on your chest. Also avoids any goopy mess like Vaseline. Only pain is minimal chest hair interference when you pull them off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FFigawi View Post
I prefer BodyGlide since it's not nearly as messy and sticky as Vaseline. As long as it's not overly hot and humid (like 90 degrees and 90%), a good application of it before I head out will usually last me the entire race. BodyGlide also comes in little mini sticks that fit into a pocket. If you don't want to take the chance, then use band-aids or NipGuards.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz91 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris84bond View Post
*insert another use for KT tape here*

I take a strip of it, cut it lengthwise, then make roughly 20 + squares out of one strip. At about 50 cents for the strip, makes a little more than 10 runs(taking off afterwards) super cheap, and it stays on extremely well with ZERO chaffing. I actually prefer it more than bandaids as well as in the hot shower afterwards, with water on it, it peels right off, but stays on great.
I love the KT idea as it is sticky, micro fiber based (at least the pro) and would last the entire weekend.

Definitely avoid purposefully using Vaseline; go with body glide as it will not ruin the tach fabric over the goo. The obvious exception is if you find a hot spot during the race, all med tents offer Vaseline so in that case go with it.

For nips, I use small 1" band aids with a little body glide over them. I will let them stay for the weekend - assuming they stay on in the shower. I actually take care of the hair before coming to Disney to avoid the painful post race removal. Though, this year I may be looking at the new KT use.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: