Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #1756
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by belle2211 View Post
Hi all! 2 random questions

1) After the half, is there a place to get our medals engraved? I got them done for ToT and W&D, but both of those had in park parties afterwards. Do they have them in the parking lot somewhere or not do them?

2) Question about PT...I have gone 2 times now for my knee (no one can decide if its ITBS or runners knee or both). Anyways, the first time was last Thursday. The physical therapist showed me a bunch of stretches to do and how to use a foam roller and told me to do them at home. Great. So I've been doing them everyday. I went back yesterday and they just had me do the same thing again. Nothing new. Is that normal? I feel like I paid $25 for what I had been doing at home!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep View Post
Most of the work for PT is knowing what to do and doing it. For ITBS the foam roller and ITBS stretches are the key (and not increasing mileage or distance too much and not running on sloped roads). For Runner's Knee it is usually about getting the inflammation down and strengthening your quads. That's about all that really can be done.

It should be easy to distinguish the two. ITBS hurts directly on the exterior side of the knee. Runner's Knee is like under the knee cap. I have had both in the past. If you have ITBS, be very careful at WDW. The roads are highly canted in many places. Always look for where the road is the flattest and try and stay on that line.
I will echo this about the roadways in WDW. Through the years I have found that running the traffic stripes is about the flattest spot on the roadway. This would apply to the long stretches on World, Bear Island and Osceola. Running the stripes comes with a hazard that many from the north have not seen; raised divider line reflectors. You know, the little things about every 2-3 lines that go bump, bump it you are changing lanes. They are not tall and are only a hazard if you step on one funny or toe into one. The other hazard of running the stripes is that since flatter than the lanes on either side; it also collects a small amount of water in a rain event. If taking this route, beware of the reflectors and puddles.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #1757
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Just checked weather again...low 57 high 76. No rain, slight wind at 9mph.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 10:26 AM   #1758
2gr8DisneyKids
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Hooray! So much better than a high of 12-22 and snow!

POLY 1979, POLY 1990, Treehouse 1993, one-day visit 1996, DL OS 2000, CR 2007, CBR 2009, POLY (Princess 1/2) & 3-night DCL 2010, POP 2010, 7-night NYE Eastern DCL 2010, 2011 AKL/POP and BLT/BC and OKW, 2012 POFQ/Vero Beach and AKV, 2013 POP (Goofy Race and a Half) and Vero Beach/CSR, 2014 AoA (Minnie 10K)
2gr8DisneyKids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:38 AM   #1759
sunshine girl
DIS Veteran

Location: Once a Floridian, always a Floridian (but currently elsewhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
It depends where you check, and which day... I am seeing anything from a 0-75% chance of rain for Saturday and a 0-75% chance of rain for Sunday, and temperature prediction differences from a high/low of 60/48 to 81/63 for Sunday (AccuWeather, Weather.com and Weather Underground this morning). It's zany!!

Weatherist (which is still in beta but does have some Orlando info) tries to provide some accuracy analysis, but it's limited.

Anyway I know it's silly of me to obsess over the weather this far out, but that's not stopping me from obsessing anyway!

Last edited by sunshine girl; 01-04-2013 at 10:46 AM.
sunshine girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:54 AM   #1760
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Hoping for COOLER wather than the 57-60F start in the current predictions.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:58 AM   #1761
Cruz91
Always at Disney in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
...Running the stripes comes with a hazard that many from the north have not seen; raised divider line reflectors. You know, the little things about every 2-3 lines that go bump, bump it you are changing lanes. They are not tall and are only a hazard if you step on one funny or toe into one.
This is exactly what almost ruined my first marathon last year! I stepped funny on one of those things somewhere after MK and I started getting a pain in my mid-foot. The pain got increasingly worse through the last half of the race to the point that by the end, I couldn't think of anything except how bad it hurt. Watch out for those reflectors, folks!
WH - Christmas '10 - OUR 10th trip!!
WBC - Spring Break '11, WH/WBC - June '11 (Surprise Trip)
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
AS-Sports - Solo Marathon Weekend '12 - I DID IT!!
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
Paradise Palms- TGiving '12 (also our 15th wedding anniversary)
AS Spo - Jan '13 Solo Marathon (again)
DW DH DD11 DS9
Cruz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #1762
Cruz91
Always at Disney in my mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post
It depends where you check, and which day... I am seeing anything from a 0-75% chance of rain for Saturday and a 0-75% chance of rain for Sunday, and temperature prediction differences from a high/low of 60/48 to 81/63 for Sunday (AccuWeather, Weather.com and Weather Underground this morning). It's zany!!

Weatherist (which is still in beta but does have some Orlando info) tries to provide some accuracy analysis, but it's limited.

Anyway I know it's silly of me to obsess over the weather this far out, but that's not stopping me from obsessing anyway!

Um... I'll take Accuweather's 48/60, even if that includes rain! I did a 20-miler in ~40° rain the whole time and felt surprisingly great. I'd much prefer that over 60/80!
WH - Christmas '10 - OUR 10th trip!!
WBC - Spring Break '11, WH/WBC - June '11 (Surprise Trip)
WH - Thanksgiving '11,
AS-Sports - Solo Marathon Weekend '12 - I DID IT!!
WP - March '12
WH- June '12
Paradise Palms- TGiving '12 (also our 15th wedding anniversary)
AS Spo - Jan '13 Solo Marathon (again)
DW DH DD11 DS9
Cruz91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:08 AM   #1763
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

I don't mind if it drizzles, what I wouldn't want is a downpour or a steady rain the whole time. I would be miserable if that happened.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #1764
rocio
DIS Veteran

Rain, rain, go away
Please come back another day
If you don't, I will cry
And I'll call the FBI

(not sure what the FBI can do in these cases, but it's worth the try )
rocio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 AM   #1765
KRuns
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRmamiDEdos View Post
I don't mind if it drizzles, what I wouldn't want is a downpour or a steady rain the whole time. I would be miserable if that happened.
Just be sure to wear a hat with a brim and put lots of anti-blister balm on your feet (and anywhere you could chafe) and you'd be fine. Less than ideal, sure, but not as bad as you'd think
KRuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM   #1766
rocio
DIS Veteran

Tried my missed 3.5 mile run this morning at the gym. I'm still feeling a little queasy (stomach bug hit my family. Seemed to be a 24 hour type thing with the kids, but longer low-level queasiness with the adults) but I did it. Wondering if I should hold off on my 7 miler until Sunday instead of tomorrow to give me more recuperating time?

And then I shall quarantine myself. Of course I just remembered I have a Girl Scout event tomorrow night. With a bunch of Brownies and Daisies. At a children's museum. I'm going to bring a can of Lysol.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #1767
rocio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRuns View Post
Just be sure to wear a hat with a brim and put lots of anti-blister balm on your feet (and anywhere you could chafe) and you'd be fine. Less than ideal, sure, but not as bad as you'd think
Mental note: buy a hat with a brim.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #1768
magicLAL12
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshine girl View Post

I'm obsessing as well- and the worst part is, weather forecasts are constantly changing...so it actually really IS something you can obsess about (rather than just looking once, and done.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Hoping for COOLER wather than the 57-60F start in the current predictions.
DBF and I definitely second that.

Just a Running Couple that Refuses to Grow Up.
June 2012: College Graduation Celebration; Animal Kingdom Villas, Kidani Village.
January 2013: My First Marathon; 20th Anniversary WDW Marathon; Boardwalk Villas
Next up: January 2014: Hooked..We're Running again; Boardwalk Villas, split-stay

magicLAL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #1769
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocio View Post
Rain, rain, go away
Please come back another day
If you don't, I will cry
And I'll call the FBI

(not sure what the FBI can do in these cases, but it's worth the try )
What if the FBI tells the rain to freeze???? Then we're really screwed!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:34 AM   #1770
PRmamiDEdos
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRuns View Post
I always wear a hat because I wear glasses (no, I can't get contacts). If it decides to rain sideways, it gets annoying, hat or not.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: