Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #1591
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
I was just on e-bay and a guy is selling his wife's marathon bib for $150.00 for next week. I guess she is injured and can't compete but she will register and then you get to be her on race day.

Just seems shady to me and not right at all.
Until I re-re-read your last line, I was thinking you were trying to float an ad.

I know several bibs will pass through the Bay of E as well as a list put together by Craig. I would personally be a little goosey about striking a deal for a bib that is not from a local runner... one where I would meet and exchange the bib package for $$ on the spot. Hopefully the Mouse will start to allow wait lists and transfers in the future.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #1592
sailors_wfe
Mouseketeer

Final run question

I have a question that's driving me crazy this week that I'm hoping some of you can help me with. I haven't trained for this half marathon like I usually do just due to circumstances in our lives and I haven't done a long run more than 9 miles since the Princess half last Feb. My typical training schedule has me running a 5 mile run the week before a half but I'm torn between getting in a 10 mile run or a rest week with a 5 mile run. I haven't even been running my weekly runs as much or as long as I would like and don't have nearly the base that I'm usually comfortable with. I don't want to risk injury/wearing myself down the week before the race but I don't want to not have a solid build-up before it either. I did the 9 miles last weekend and recovered after a day... it was tough but not killer, I'm just at a loss for this race. This will be my 3rd half marathon, originally was hoping to get a PR on this race (under 3 hours), now I'm just hoping to finish. What would you do if you didn't have the mileage base that you'd like going into a race?

DH Me DD (3 years) DS (1 year)
Completed Trips: June 03 AS Sports Nov 04-POP Oct 05-POP Oct 06-ASMu Oct 07-POP Jan 08-SSR May 08-OKW Sept 08-SSR Jan 09 SSR Sept 09 BLT/AKV March 10 THV Thanksgiving 10-BLT Oct 11 SSR Spring 12 Off Property
Upcoming TripsJan 13 SSR
sailors_wfe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #1593
cewait
DIS Veteran

Location: At the intersection of Ocoee, Winter Garden and Windermere... I hear 'WISHES thunder' every night at 10pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailors_wfe View Post
I have a question that's driving me crazy this week that I'm hoping some of you can help me with. I haven't trained for this half marathon like I usually do just due to circumstances in our lives and I haven't done a long run more than 9 miles since the Princess half last Feb. My typical training schedule has me running a 5 mile run the week before a half but I'm torn between getting in a 10 mile run or a rest week with a 5 mile run. I haven't even been running my weekly runs as much or as long as I would like and don't have nearly the base that I'm usually comfortable with. I don't want to risk injury/wearing myself down the week before the race but I don't want to not have a solid build-up before it either. I did the 9 miles last weekend and recovered after a day... it was tough but not killer, I'm just at a loss for this race. This will be my 3rd half marathon, originally was hoping to get a PR on this race (under 3 hours), now I'm just hoping to finish. What would you do if you didn't have the mileage base that you'd like going into a race?
WIthout knowing more than you put in the post it is really hard to recommend a longer run here. The great news is that if you finished a 9 mile run last weekend with little issue, then you will more than likely run fairly well in the race. Given the last long run and the timing to the race, I would suggest a 5-6 mile run this comping weekend and call the training good; errrr, over.

Do not worry about trying to to cram any more in as you would be more likely to create a late injury that will not heal well. At least this way you are coming into the race on fairly fresh legs and with a mental game knowing you will make the end. Do take your time and do not push your pace in the race. It is all about conserving blood sugar and making it to the end with a smile. This happens to more runners than you would figure.

See you at the race.
Endurance Coach
Running Disney since 99

I don't want easy - just possible

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cewait/
cewait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1594
goofeygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cewait View Post
Your bib number is located on the waiver. Waivers are just below the corral assignment links. Scroll maybe a half to full page.
Thanks! Seeing my bib number makes it so real now! I am in the G corral...I really thought I would be in H.
goofeygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #1595
John VN
DIS Cast Member
N.Y. Style CHEESECAKE RULES!
Old Paramus Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruz91 View Post
It's mostly a moot point now, but how do folkls handle taper of cross training activities before the race? I usually do at least 1 or 2 fairly aggressive stationary bike rides for my cross activity, usually 30-50 minutes each. I have about 3 more of those rides left before the race - should I cut the intensity?

Knock on wood, I've had no real injury issues during training. Wondering if I shouldn't risk any! ;-)
my bolding. taper is an individual choice depending on race goals....

This will be my 3rd Dopey in a row and I'm looking forward to having more fun than in the past, so with that in mind....

Yesterday I biked 62 miles. Today I went out for a 4.26 mile vigorous walk. Mile 1 warm-up at 10:39 then 9:43-9:30-9:01 and a speed-walking .26 mile sprint at a 8:24mpm pace. Tomorrow 2,000 yards easy swimming. Thursday another 60+ mile bike ride, Friday swimming with some quick laps, Saturday 60 to 80 miles on bike and Sunday a slow, easy walk 6 to 8 miles. Nothing on Monday, swim Tuesday and easy walk Wed. Drive to FW Thursday, EXPO and parks then start Marathon Weekend with the 5K on Friday. Might start in corral D on Saturday or with Balloon Ladies and Sunday for sure with Balloon Ladies. Will be stopping at mile 15 for a M&M McFlurry then rejoining the race.

I race for fun and to complete. If I feel real good at the start, I might try for a PR, but my main goal for 2013 is to complete IMFL at 63 years, 3 months and 23 days.
John VN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #1596
aliron
Mouseketeer

Question Pace Band - What time?

Just just found this side of the DIS boards as I normally lurk on the cruise section. I am making the Disney Marathon my first full. I have run 5 halfs to date and wondering about when to take a gu shot during the race.

In the halfs, I have had some issues and finally got it down so I feel good at the end of the race and do not fell drained. But this has been trial and error. Something I do not have with the full.

I would like to create a pace band to help me remember when to take a gu. Cliff Bar site has a great tool to create the band but I am not sure what time to put in.

Typically can complete the half in 2:40-2:55 and hope that I could complete the full in 6:00.

Since this will be my first full, I do not know what to put or shoot for.

Thanks for any and all guidance.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:30 PM   #1597
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliron View Post
Just just found this side of the DIS boards as I normally lurk on the cruise section. I am making the Disney Marathon my first full. I have run 5 halfs to date and wondering about when to take a gu shot during the race.

In the halfs, I have had some issues and finally got it down so I feel good at the end of the race and do not fell drained. But this has been trial and error. Something I do not have with the full.

I would like to create a pace band to help me remember when to take a gu. Cliff Bar site has a great tool to create the band but I am not sure what time to put in.

Typically can complete the half in 2:40-2:55 and hope that I could complete the full in 6:00.

When do you take them in the half? For me, I used to take shots at about 5 and 9. If that was the case for you then just keep that same ratio. If you do two shots for a half, then maybe 5 for a full spread out at the same timing.

My stomach got upset from that so now I take one Shot Blok (1/3 gel) every two miles. Spreads the carbs more evenly and I don't get as many GI issues.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #1598
ColleenG
DIS Veteran

I too am in love with Sparkle Skirts! I got the minnie one and wore it for the first time today on a 10 mile run. The pockets are AWESOME!!! I had 2 Gus in each on the shorts and my chapstick, in the waist pocket I had my cell phone. Never felt any of my stuff at all! So much so that I forgot my phone was in the pocket and almost freaked when I couldn't find it in my bag after my run. The shorts are the perftect length and they don't move. The only problem I had today with chaffing was from my sports bra that is old. I guess it's time to retire that one! If you are on the fence, go for it! You won't regret it.

My Garmin has been weird too with the battery lasting. I have the Forerunner 205. Last time I used it I did a 5 mile run, didn't charge it, went out to do a long run and it was dead before I hit a mile. I usually always charge it in the wall charger. I'll have to try the reset thing. If it doesn't last for the marathon I'm going to be really bummed.
First Trip Jan. 1983 Ft. Wilderness, Nov. 1984 Contemporary, First trip w/family Dec. 2004 Caribbbean Beach, 2005 DVC Nov. 2005, Jan 2013 Old Key West Jan. 2007, Oct. 2008, Nov 2010, Feb 2012 Saratoga SpringsDec 2009 Caribbean Beach, Aug 2011 off site, Feb 2013 BoardwalkVillas Mom DD 11 DS 9 DS 7 DS 6
ColleenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #1599
Reep
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Not meaning to throw stones....

I guess I am a little less concerned about where I start and would not worry about my spot in the corral as long as I am in the proper corral. I just make sure folks can see I am about to whoa up, that is all that is required. I would NOT leave the pavement and would leave the person width space to the side. Why risk your ankle? Again, I would move to the side but not necessarily to the right. I would head to the side easiest to reach or try to keep to the outer radius of any upcoming corner. If I am in the proper corral, then while I get passed on the walk, I pass others on the run.

I did not mention earlier that one should also swivel their head around, also. That way you know you do not have a tail gated on your heals.
I'll agree with others that if you are in the front three corrals, don't start in the front if you take walk breaks. The first corral (much to my dismay) starts 2:40 and 3:40 marathoners in the same location. If you are in the mid to upper threes, then head to the back. My last Disney half I had a guy start in front of me (at the very front line of the corral) who had never run a half before. When the horn sounded he took off at his 8:00 pace, while everyone else pulled off at 6:00. Find out what the range of your corral is and put yourself in the proper position. It makes life better for everyone.
Reep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #1600
RunRookie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliron

I think it is runner-specific for what works the best... For me, I take GU or Bloks every 45-50 minutes rather than by specific mile markers. So based upon my pacing strategy, I line that up with the water stations so I know when to take them (I like to take them with water). I try to switch off between water and sports drinks as I pass the water stations.
Half Fanatic #1852 and Marathon Maniac #6743
My Blog: My Journey to Healthy Living

2014: Los Angeles Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Carmel Marathon | Illinois Mini I-Challenge 5K & 10K | Wisconsin Marathon | Ragnar Relay Chicago 197M | RnR Chicago 5K | RnR Chicago Half Marathon | Crystal Lake Half Marathon
2013: WDW Family 5K | WDW Goofy Challenge | Surf City Marathon | Little Rock Marathon | Penguin in the Park 5K | Cherry Blossom 10M | Flying Pig 3-Way Challenge (5K/10K/Half) | Soldier Field 10M | Chicago RnR Half | Biggest Loser 15K | Howl at the Moon Ultra 50K | Dumbo Double Dare (10K/Half) | Crystal Lake Half | Heritage Haul Half | Fox Valley Half | Marine Corps Marathon | Strides for Hunger 5K | Space Coast Half

Disney Trips: Disneyland 1972-1978, Disney World 2000/2007/2012/2013, Disney Cruises 2003/2005, Disneyland 2008/2013
RunRookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:48 PM   #1601
lerxst
Marathoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose&Mike

I understand what you are saying, but my experience has been that in the b & c corral that it is hard to take the breaks during the first mile because it is so crowded if you are up near the front. I don't care about people passing me, I just don't want to get run over when it is really crowded. Cause you're right, I passed them during my running intervals. I agree that moving off the road really sets you up for twisting an ankle, which is why we will be hanging towards the back of the corral so that we are easily able to take the intervals and don't feel as if we are making it more difficult for other runners or ourselves during the first mile. The reality was during W&D it was so crowded during the first mile there were folks on our heals and there was not much we could do about it other than keep running or raise a hand and hope we didn't get plowed. For sanity sake, it is easier to just hang back imho.
I tried 3:1 run/walk in W&D...and though hung out near the back, nearly got plowed over. I ended up running the first mile until we got out of WWOS. Was fine at that point, though I do recall skipping a few walking intervals in AK due to more congestion.

Disney 2012 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- Done!
Disney 2013 20th Anniversary Marathon -- Done!
2013 Gate River Run 15k -- March 9, 2013
Disney 2013 Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon -- waiting reg
Disney 2014 Goofy and 1/2 Challenge -- waiting reg
lerxst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:14 PM   #1602
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reep

When do you take them in the half? For me, I used to take shots at about 5 and 9. If that was the case for you then just keep that same ratio. If you do two shots for a half, then maybe 5 for a full spread out at the same timing.

My stomach got upset from that so now I take one Shot Blok (1/3 gel) every two miles. Spreads the carbs more evenly and I don't get as many GI issues.
What do you mean 1/3 gel? The shot blocks are broken into squares. Do you mean you take 1/3 of the entire package or just 1/3 of a single square?

I'm still struggling with the correct timing of my gels and GU. I ran 13.6 on NYE and at about mile 11.5 I was starting to lose steam. Somehow I have to adjust the gels/GU to get me through the last couple of miles without overloading my system and getting a stomach ache.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM   #1603
Weluvdisny
I'm alot calmer than I thought I would be
We're all CRAZY for Disney!!

Quote:
Until I re-re-read your last line, I was thinking you were trying to float an ad.
I don't even know what "float an ad" is. I was in no way promoting what I wrote. I was only mentioning it because you had posted about someone selling medals on there.

On another note, I have to decide by tomorrow if I want to enter my first Irongirl sprint tri. It's not til August so I have plenty of time to train. Anyone have experience with a tri? Easy/difficult transition from just running?

Thanks for all your advise and help everyone! We can finally say "next week" when talking about our races! The Choir is waiting for us!!

Weluvdisny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:26 AM   #1604
CDuenow
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weluvdisny View Post
Anyone have experience with a tri? Easy/difficult transition from just running?

Thanks for all your advise and help everyone! We can finally say "next week" when talking about our races! The Choir is waiting for us!!
I do triathlons. I personally love them. Transitioning from just a runner, I found them to be very challenging. But who doesn't love to push themselves? My street touches the Gulf Coast... So swimming is awesome in the clear Florida waters. I am hoping to earn a 70.3 sticker this upcoming may in Panama City, fl. Good luck with your triathlon. They are a lot of fun...
CDuenow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:47 AM   #1605
FFigawi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal

What do you mean 1/3 gel? The shot blocks are broken into squares. Do you mean you take 1/3 of the entire package or just 1/3 of a single square?

I'm still struggling with the correct timing of my gels and GU. I ran 13.6 on NYE and at about mile 11.5 I was starting to lose steam. Somehow I have to adjust the gels/GU to get me through the last couple of miles without overloading my system and getting a stomach ache.
Each Blok is the equivalent of 1/3 of a gel. As far as timing goes, I'd stick with what worked well for you during training. Race day is not the day to be trying something new. That said, you want to start them about an hour or so into the race and have them at regular intervals after that.

John
FFigawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: