Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 06:50 PM   #76
Mystery Fan
Mouseketeer

I understand how the seating works now, thank you for clarification. I still do not agree with Disney's system, Disney has many years of restaurant experience and should have done a better job of accounting for the delay....period. I think that a similar size party with a later dining time should not be seated before a same size party on the basis of an earlier check in time under any circumstance unless the earlier ADR party arrives after their designated reservation time.

I should have named this thread "BOG, expect seating delays, Disney didn't account for excessive patron lingering, don't get upset, don't be un reasonable, Disney is awesome."

FYI, during our week, we had ADRs at Le Cellier, Boma, 1900 Park Fare, Whispering Canyon and Mama Melrose and had no problems, despite their busyness. Speaking of Mama Melrose, initially we did not have an ADR and tried to walk up and was told the restaurant was booked all day, however I was able to use my Disney Experience cell phone app to make an ADR for 30 minutes later, go figure.

I hope in the future, Disney has a plan for BOG diners in case it rains or is really cold...right now Disney isn't letting anyone inside to wait to be seated, that would really help with the after dinner lingering.

So, in retrospect, I guess my issue is really with the poor job at BOG.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #77
gwmort
DIS Veteran

My group of 8 were seated early for our reservation at BOG on Nov. 19th, everything was magical.

Our ADR was for 5:35, we checked in at 5:25 and were seated by 5:30. We had a big round table right in front of the big windows with the snow fall mural.

Our service was magnificent, we tipped over the required auto amount and sought out a manager to compliment our server. The food was fantastic. Beast came through every 30 minutes or so and they announced he was seeing guests in the library for a family photo after finishing their meals (maybe incentive to move the off tables faster, I know our kids were anxious to finish and go see him).

We were welcomed to stroll around and check out the other dining rooms after finishing too. The whole place was remarkable, every inch felt like you were really in a castle, transported. A masterpiece of theming and immersiveness.

We noticed there were a few groups seated in the rose gallery, which was more brightly lit and we thought only supposed to be used for lunches. I don't know if they opened it just to help deal with overflow/back-ups. It was nice but didn't seem as intimate or elegant as the other rooms.

I liked that they weren't letting people wait inside. You had to wait outside on the bridge until the pager went off then give it to the gate keeper who let you in the castle doors, felt very special, but I can see they may need a covered area outside in bad weather.

We never felt rushed, were in fact encouraged to linger and look around, and our relatively large group was still outside in less than 90 minutes watching the MSEP.

This one meal was by far the highlight of our entire week.

NOTE: Should add they were turning away anyone without a reservation and directing them to guest relations to make them for the future, we heard the same thing when checking in for our dinner at San Angel Inn in Epcot the next day.
gwmort is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 08:41 PM   #78
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post
My group of 8 were seated early for our reservation at BOG on Nov. 19th, everything was magical.

Our ADR was for 5:35, we checked in at 5:25 and were seated by 5:30. We had a big round table right in front of the big windows with the snow fall mural.

Our service was magnificent, we tipped over the required auto amount and sought out a manager to compliment our server. The food was fantastic. Beast came through every 30 minutes or so and they announced he was seeing guests in the library for a family photo after finishing their meals (maybe incentive to move the off tables faster, I know our kids were anxious to finish and go see him).

We were welcomed to stroll around and check out the other dining rooms after finishing too. The whole place was remarkable, every inch felt like you were really in a castle, transported. A masterpiece of theming and immersiveness.

We noticed there were a few groups seated in the rose gallery, which was more brightly lit and we thought only supposed to be used for lunches. I don't know if they opened it just to help deal with overflow/back-ups. It was nice but didn't seem as intimate or elegant as the other rooms.

I liked that they weren't letting people wait inside. You had to wait outside on the bridge until the pager went off then give it to the gate keeper who let you in the castle doors, felt very special, but I can see they may need a covered area outside in bad weather.

We never felt rushed, were in fact encouraged to linger and look around, and our relatively large group was still outside in less than 90 minutes watching the MSEP.

This one meal was by far the highlight of our entire week.

NOTE: Should add they were turning away anyone without a reservation and directing them to guest relations to make them for the future, we heard the same thing when checking in for our dinner at San Angel Inn in Epcot the next day.
What an awesome report. Thanks so much for posting it!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:45 PM   #79
Epcotgal
Mouseketeer

BOG has only been officially open since Nov. 19th. I have never known any restaurant that new with ANY popular demand to be flawless this soon. Sounds like most people love it. Any time you expect perfection you are likely disappointed. I'm sorry the OP was but hope the rest of the trip was magical!
Epcotgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #80
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Fan View Post
I understand how the seating works now, thank you for clarification. I still do not agree with Disney's system, Disney has many years of restaurant experience and should have done a better job of accounting for the delay....period. I think that a similar size party with a later dining time should not be seated before a same size party on the basis of an earlier check in time under any circumstance unless the earlier ADR party arrives after their designated reservation time.

I should have named this thread "BOG, expect seating delays, Disney didn't account for excessive patron lingering, don't get upset, don't be un reasonable, Disney is awesome."

FYI, during our week, we had ADRs at Le Cellier, Boma, 1900 Park Fare, Whispering Canyon and Mama Melrose and had no problems, despite their busyness. Speaking of Mama Melrose, initially we did not have an ADR and tried to walk up and was told the restaurant was booked all day, however I was able to use my Disney Experience cell phone app to make an ADR for 30 minutes later, go figure.

I hope in the future, Disney has a plan for BOG diners in case it rains or is really cold...right now Disney isn't letting anyone inside to wait to be seated, that would really help with the after dinner lingering.

So, in retrospect, I guess my issue is really with the poor job at BOG.
Doesn't that kind of prove the point? If every other restaurant you ate ate sat you on time.... wouldn't you start putting two and two together? It is a brand new restaurant and there are hiccups. Again, not every night... probably not even most nights, but it did happen to you.

If Disney is using their experience to judge the average amount of time it would/should take for a party to sit, eat, and leave.... how are they going to know that they are incorrect until they open up and start operating?

GWMORT - any word if Beast was meeting specially on your night or if that can be expected during dinner hours each day?
Old 11-24-2012, 11:22 PM   #81
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Doesn't that kind of prove the point? If every other restaurant you ate ate sat you on time.... wouldn't you start putting two and two together? It is a brand new restaurant and there are hiccups. Again, not every night... probably not even most nights, but it did happen to you.

If Disney is using their experience to judge the average amount of time it would/should take for a party to sit, eat, and leave.... how are they going to know that they are incorrect until they open up and start operating?

GWMORT - any word if Beast was meeting specially on your night or if that can be expected during dinner hours each day?
Shouldn't Disney have this down to a science by now though? How many new restaurants have they opened and continue to operate. A few basic stats tests in Excel should give them some pretty good metrics by which they should be operating by. Over hour waits for people with ADRs is not good, and I know how the seating system works and that its not a true reservation. I agree new restaurants have hiccups but for an established place like Disney World, there's not many excuses.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:57 PM   #82
gobo2
Drug Lord/Dance Mom

If you don't like something about a business, don't spend your money there. Disney, like most profitable companies only listens when you vote with your dollar. There are a seemingly infinite number of people waiting to take that ADR. There are entire threads devoted to trying to get an ADR at BOG. Why would they change?
gobo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #83
gwmort
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I meant to ask the server that exact question and forgot. I sure hope so, it was a great set up. The "library" is actually the QS ordering kiosk area, and after getting the photo with him we exited through the hall with the suits of armor that talk to each other. The flow was perfect and added to the whole experience of getting to see everything despite being there only for one meal.

They were specific it was only one group shot per table and no autographs (don't think he could physically sign anyway).
Old 11-25-2012, 02:58 AM   #84
Mysteria
MINDFREAK!
I'll release my inner felon on his butt if I get soaked by rain and bumped by pushy people
Make wishes on folded up chips

Here comes the poop tag

Location: They couldn't fit chemical and oil refinery state on the license plates

Doesn't matter how many restaurants they have opened in the past they have to work out the kinks for THIS restaurant.

You're in Disney (for most people that alone is a dream only), with a coveted ADR, getting to be one of the first people to eat at BOG. IMHO...stop complaining.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:02 AM   #85
emacosta1
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria
Doesn't matter how many restaurants they have opened in the past they have to work out the kinks for THIS restaurant.

You're in Disney (for most people that alone is a dream only), with a coveted ADR, getting to be one of the first people to eat at BOG. IMHO...stop complaining.
Thank you!!!!
emacosta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:15 AM   #86
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post

I don't think Disney sees covered waiting areas as a need. If a restaurant has a covered area (Le Ceiller and The Crystal Palace come to mind) it is very small. Definitely not adequate for the amount of people waiting for a meal at any given time.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:55 AM   #87
reiella
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkereina View Post
Shouldn't Disney have this down to a science by now though? How many new restaurants have they opened and continue to operate. A few basic stats tests in Excel should give them some pretty good metrics by which they should be operating by. Over hour waits for people with ADRs is not good, and I know how the seating system works and that its not a true reservation. I agree new restaurants have hiccups but for an established place like Disney World, there's not many excuses.
It seems they errored when they put in 'Average Table Turnover Time' in Excel then. I guess Cathedral Ballroom had more impact than they anticipated.
reiella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:29 AM   #88
nkereina
Wendy Darling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteria View Post

Why would this restaurant be any different than ones opened in the past? I'm sure they could have predicted the popularity... everyone on here did. And for the record, I'd probably wait if I had an ADR and it took an hour. I wouldn't be stoked about it, but I'd wait. The point is that no one should have to consistently. I don't know why everyone is so defensive for Disney on these kind of things. That would never be acceptable at a chain restaurant or a new restaurant in your hometown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reiella View Post
It seems they errored when they put in 'Average Table Turnover Time' in Excel then. I guess Cathedral Ballroom had more impact than they anticipated.
Exactly, which is why hopefully they can make the adjustments. That should have been something fairly easy to predict based on prior and foreseeable data. You'd think they would start liberal in their seating times and adjust to more frequent as necessary. Seems as though they've done the opposite, of course because of the almighty dollar.
nkereina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 09:32 AM   #89
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:

Exactly, which is why hopefully they can make the adjustments. That should have been something fairly easy to predict based on prior and foreseeable data. You'd think they would start liberal in their seating times and adjust to more frequent as necessary. Seems as though they've done the opposite, of course because of the almighty dollar.
Hopefully they will adjust. But it won't be any time soon, unless they decide to call people and tell them their current ADR is no longer valid. And I really can't see them doing that.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #90
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Sure... but if they granted an extra 30 minutes for each table in order to accommodate the 'new restaurant pizazz' and people are STILL going over that, how are they supposed to figure it out until they open.

You can go off of experience and make a plan that should work based on that experience, but obviously this restaurant is not working the way their others had. Those are the kinks that get worked out within the first few months of service. It stinks when it happens to you, but it comes with the territory of booking that early into operation. There are some things that can not be planned for.

Last edited by aaarcher86; 11-25-2012 at 10:17 AM.
aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: