Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #31
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery Fan View Post
The bottom line is that when anyone reserves a table at x time, they should expect to have a table waiting for them at that exact time, no excuses. I don't care if other patrons are dilly dallying around or not. Disney should have booked less ADRs and that's the bottom line. Disney could have easily filled empty spaces with walk ups. Also, had I not shown up they would have tagged me for $60 for not keeping the reservation. I keep my end of our agreement up.
With all of that, you are not understanding what an ADR is to Disney. It is not a reservation for a specific time slot. It gives you the next table at that point that becomes available for your party size.

Expecting it to be an exact time reservation is setting yourself up for disappointment.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:14 PM   #32
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) The buzzer goes of when the guest is ready to be seated.
2) Contrary to popular believe, it is not based upon ADR time.
3) In most cases, it is based upon when you checked in at the podium.
4) My guess, and only a guess, is the other party checked in prior to OP.

NOTE: This may or may not be right in some people's minds, but when
Guest-B checks in early, the person at the podium does not know if the
Guest-A with a later ADR will check in or not. So, Guest-B is placed into
the queue before Guest-A. I have personally checked in early at some
Signature eateries, then went into the bar for an aperitif, and my buzzer
went off before the folks next to us with earlier ADR's had their buzzer
sound off.
I'm with you on this one Rusty. Even with Disney the estaurant business is still somewhat unpredictable where some nites you may wait longer and some nites you check in early and your seated. Give them a break people -relax- it's vacation

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-22-2012, 02:15 PM   #33
WILDERNESS FAN 55
CANNOT GET ENOUGH

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
With all of that, you are not understanding what an ADR is to Disney. It is not a reservation for a specific time slot. It gives you the next table at that point that becomes available for your party size.

Expecting it to be an exact time reservation is setting yourself up for disappointment.
I'll back you up on this ! Mystery you are WAY off base.

Off site 72-76-76-77-78(MM 50th b-day) 79-81-82-85-86 FW-84-86-88-90-90-91-92-95-96
Poly 87 GF 88 CR 90 CBR 91-06-10
Disney Inn 93 ASM 95-96-02 CS 98
POFQ 97 DIXIE Landing 00 POR 07-08 WL-11
DL-Honeymoon-77 03 OKW -13 BLT-13 BWV-13
Trips planned 2015 WDW 2016 Aulani 2017 WDW XMAS
WILDERNESS FAN 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:20 PM   #34
Mystery Fan
Mouseketeer

And when I am disappointed I don't suck it up and take it either. And, yes when my expectations are not met that doesn't stop me from voicing my displeasure. Why should I not speak up? It's for other's benefit too. I find it fascinating when people say I should go with the flow, who are they kidding, thanks for your help.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
And when I am disappointed I don't suck it up and take it either. And, yes when my expectations are not met that doesn't stop me from voicing my displeasure. Why should I not speak up? It's for other's benefit too. I find it fascinating when people say I should go with the flow, who are they kidding, thanks for your help.
You can voice your displeasure. But it sounds as if don't understand what an ADR actually gets you. Expecting it to get you table right at a set time is only going to cause you frustration.

You can not like what it is. But don't know what it is and be upset because that is what it is, and it isn't something else you would like better.
Old 11-22-2012, 02:45 PM   #36
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I know that at CRT they have never let us check in more than 10 or 15 minutes pior to our ADR time, even making us get in the back of a long line again for being there 20 minutes before our time. Maybe they need to do the same thing at BOG.
Oh, they are! We got there a good bit before our ADR because we figured the first night would be mobbed. They wouldn't let us check in until exactly 15 minutes before our ADR.

B & C , Local AP/TiW holders & resort junkies!
12/08: CR & SSR|10/09: VWL| 1/10:AKL&POFQ| 10/10:AKL| 1/11:CR| 2/11:POFQ| 1/12:AKL|5/12:BC|
9/12:BC| 10/12:SSR| 1/13:ASMu| 5/13:BC| 6/13:POP| 8/13:WL| 10/13:POFQ| 12/13:Disney Dream| 1/14: ASMu| 3/14: BC
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #37
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

OP, I totally understand your disappointment at how this was handled. It is correct that an ADR is not a typical reservation. But there's nothing about an ADR that prevents them from calling earlier times before later times, as long as they checked in on time. Or with refusing to allow check-ins more than 10-15 minutes prior to your ADR time. Either of these approaches would have possibly minimized your own wait.

I probably would have complained as well if someone with a later time was seated ahead of us, if I had checked in on time. They will never change this approach unless people complain about it.

Note to self..... be sure to check in early on our own visit.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:48 PM   #38
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom View Post
It gives you the next table at that point that becomes available for your party size.
Even so, that's not what happened in this situation (though I understand the OP is upset about not being seated at the exact time, which I agree is a bit over the top).

If an ADR gives you the next table that becomes available for your party size at that point, then even if someone checks in at 8:00 with an 8:30 ADR and someone checks in at 8:10 for an 8:20 ADR, the 8:20 ADR should be seated first.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #39
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
Oh, they are! We got there a good bit before our ADR because we figured the first night would be mobbed. They wouldn't let us check in until exactly 15 minutes before our ADR.
I don't know why they haven't done the same thing at BOG. It surely can't be a surprise to them that it has been really popular. And if it was overbooked, they knew that as well.

Last edited by mom2rtk; 11-22-2012 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I don't know why they haven't done the same thing at BOG. It surely can't be a surprise to them that it has been really popular. And if it was overbooked, they knew that as well.
No, that's what I meant. They ARE doing the same thing at BOG. You cannot check-in more than 15 minutes prior to your reservation. We even tried at 20 minutes and were turned away. It was the strictest check-in process I've ever experienced, even moreso than 'Ohana.

B & C , Local AP/TiW holders & resort junkies!
12/08: CR & SSR|10/09: VWL| 1/10:AKL&POFQ| 10/10:AKL| 1/11:CR| 2/11:POFQ| 1/12:AKL|5/12:BC|
9/12:BC| 10/12:SSR| 1/13:ASMu| 5/13:BC| 6/13:POP| 8/13:WL| 10/13:POFQ| 12/13:Disney Dream| 1/14: ASMu| 3/14: BC
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:28 PM   #41
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
No, that's what I meant. They ARE doing the same thing at BOG. You cannot check-in more than 15 minutes prior to your reservation. We even tried at 20 minutes and were turned away. It was the strictest check-in process I've ever experienced, even moreso than 'Ohana.
Ahh.... glad to hear that. It always makes a long wait more acceptable if you feel like they have taken some precautions. It's always so frustrating to walk into Sci-Fi and experience a lengthy wait watching them add walk-ins to the line as well.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:39 PM   #42
GusGus77
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxiesmom

I like this perspective on ADRs! Thanks for sharing!
GusGus77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:01 PM   #43
guyver71
Earning My Ears

Don't think I have ever been seated on time, but then again I have been late and the CMs have always been great..why do five year olds not understand reservations ..lol..but it is a holiday though it's nice to have a rough plan you don't want or expect military precision...so if some folks take a little longer so what we are all on holiday to enjoy ourselves right ?
guyver71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:14 PM   #44
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I totally understand the disappointment and irritation with a lengthy wait. And voicing that frustration is fine.

But to actually expect a table to be ready at the moment your time pops up is silly, particularly when you mention you don't care of people doddle along.

Do tell, how exactly do you expect tables to be ready on the dot if people are lingering around?

If you have 5 tables, and it takes you an average of 1 hour to sit, serve, and clean the table for the next patron, what exactly are you going to do when someone tinkers around for an additional 20 minutes? They're not going to shoo anyone out (and if they did you'd be complaining that they rushed you out after paying a hefty price for a meal). You're unfortunately, running 20 minutes late on that table now.

Yes, Disney has been doing this a long time. Regardless if they've done it 30 years or 2 years... there will always be nights when they're running behind for whatever reason.

Your frustrations are warranted - your reasoning is not.

aaarcher86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #45
NMDisneyFan
Earning My Ears

Mystery Fan,

I would be upset too. For future reference, it's not a good idea to complain about Disney on this board. It is full of people that think Disney can't do anything wrong. At least you were offered compensation for the long wait.
NMDisneyFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: