Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
rosermama
DIS Veteran

I dont think it hurts to write, I would think that a company that big could honor your price for the other cruise. Its not like you always ask for it but its an odd time.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #17
sonnyjane
DIS Veteran

I agree with others that said that EVERYONE missed school, so I wouldn't let that keep you from booking another cruise during the off-season for the same price you paid.

Again, I'm very sorry for your situation, but I really do think that even asking them for $100 in on-board credit is unreasonable. You stated that the person you spoke with was sympathetic and nice. That's great! That's exactly how they should have reacted. I think if you contact them with your "sob story" (not saying it's not valid, just calling a spade a spade) then you'll probably just be more frustrated when you don't get anything. Millions of people were affected by this storm. I'm no stranger to hurricanes. My family and I have dealt with many living in the Gulf. I don't think that you're entitled to anything other than Disney's polite sympathy, which you received.
sonnyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #18
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Would it be possible for you to cruise next November?

You have so many price factors against you in the summer--high season, holiday week, Magic in Europe, etc. DCL owes you courtesy on the phone and the cost of the cruise that you paid for. That isn't intended to be harsh, but I don't think your complaints will go anywhere in this situation. I'm not aware of any time limitation on the rebooking.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #19
blu
Mouseketeer

We live on the Gulf Coast and feel your storm pain. We have had vacations ruined in back to back years. That said I have to say that although I am sure that the Disney Company feels our pain they have to draw that line. Unfortunately they set up a business in a hurricane zone. Their usual problem would be storms at their place not yours but it is a fact of life for them.
I can tell you that 8 yrs post Ivan, 7 yrs post Dennis and Katrina you will heal. It will be slow at first but soon the storm will not define your life.
I would say go ahead and take the kids out of school. Sounds like a Novemet trip would have had them out anyway. They will catch up and they need to get away from constant storm coverage
Enjoy your trip when you do get to take it
blu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:19 AM   #20
carlat78
Earning My Ears

I have to agree with everyone else. I have also been on 5 Disney cruises. 4 in low season and 1 in high. I travel in the low season Primarily because its cheaper. It's unreasonable to think that any corporation will give you credit for a cancellation that was ABSOLUTELY beyond their control. If price is your #1 issue then travel during the low season as you were originally booked for. Then I am sure you will find prices for cabins close to your refunded credit.

Have you looked into nov 2013? If not, what's stopping you from rebooking to that month?
carlat78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:45 AM   #21
MKRuns 26
Mouseketeer

In an old segment of the podcast didnt the host (cant remember who) tried to cancel a DCL cruise because a hurricane was hitting Florida and they couldnt fly out to the other state where the ship was? If I recall DCL said that because the hurricane wasnt affecting the port or the ship that the insurance wouldnt cover a refund and they lost out on the money paid. Correct me if im wrong or missing something.

OP if you utilize the Search function on the boards you will find many many threads regarding the Fantasy sailing that encountered hurricane Sandy and ways to contact DCL.
Disney Magic- X 4

WDW- More times then I can count
DL- Soon

Last edited by MKRuns 26; 11-22-2012 at 01:56 AM.
MKRuns 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:02 AM   #22
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chateau View Post
Don't worry about the kids having missed two weeks of school.... EVERYONE in the district did, so they are not, in any way, behind, nor penalized.
And if the OP takes the November cruise in '13 it will be a new school year, where the 2 weeks from Sandy won't matter one little bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinTigers View Post
To tell you the truth, I wish our insurance had settled the claim and were willing to pay us our settlement. I would have used that money to book on Royal Caribbean. They have a sailing on the Freedom of the Seas that leaves the day after the Fantasy, also from Port Canaveral, same exact itinerary (except for RCCL's private island in the Bahamas instead of Castaway Cay). That cruise with the same type of cabin was around the same price as what we paid for the DCL cruise in November! But unfortunately, I am lead to believe that the insurance company will deny our claim.
Ooh the RCCL sounds awesome! I love RCCL, and if I'd been the one to choose the cruise we're taking in Feb, it would have been with them.

But why do you anticipate they will deny the claim? And if that's what you anticipate, just give them a little more time as they have told you (5-7 days more?).

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 03:03 AM   #23
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyjane View Post
I agree with others that said that EVERYONE missed school, so I wouldn't let that keep you from booking another cruise during the off-season for the same price you paid.

Again, I'm very sorry for your situation, but I really do think that even asking them for $100 in on-board credit is unreasonable. You stated that the person you spoke with was sympathetic and nice. That's great! That's exactly how they should have reacted. I think if you contact them with your "sob story" (not saying it's not valid, just calling a spade a spade) then you'll probably just be more frustrated when you don't get anything. Millions of people were affected by this storm. I'm no stranger to hurricanes. My family and I have dealt with many living in the Gulf. I don't think that you're entitled to anything other than Disney's polite sympathy, which you received.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
Would it be possible for you to cruise next November?

You have so many price factors against you in the summer--high season, holiday week, Magic in Europe, etc. DCL owes you courtesy on the phone and the cost of the cruise that you paid for. That isn't intended to be harsh, but I don't think your complaints will go anywhere in this situation. I'm not aware of any time limitation on the rebooking.
I'm sorry for all you've been through, but I agree with the posts above. I don't think you can expect to use a credit from a low season Nov cruise and move it to a high season Jun cruise for the same amount or receive any discount. It basically comes down to rebooking for the same time of year as your original reservation or paying to the difference to change seasons.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:34 AM   #24
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

OP - I am sorry for all you have gone through - I am also in agreement with the previous posters. Just think how many people in the northeast had travel plans........

We are in Zone A and also got hit - my vacation is in two weeks - we lost power for two weeks - finally bought a generator after 5 nights (bil brought it down from Upstate - none to be found here then). We had no idea when we would get power and it looked like it could take even more time than it did. Some areas within walking distance were the hardest hit and still have no power - I have air, Parade tickets, etc. and was ready to cancel if I had to. I knew it would have been my loss - I would not except Disney to reimburse me for my Parade tickets or points and hoping I could have rescheduled flight. This would have been the last thing (and it was) on my mind. I still can't get too excited about it.

I know you are disappointed and I hope you can change some scheduled activities and rebook. I do like the November 2013 dates - which is when you were cruising originally. Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 AM   #25
CeCeGarrett
Mouseketeer

We are no strangers to hurricanes, and as one PP said (since for some reason my quote option is not working this morning) the pain and grief of such storms does lessen and healing will happen.

That being said, I wonder if you should book the cruise for '13 that falls within the week that Sandy hit. The one year mark kind of stings... when you look around and there is still so much damage, to homes, the general landscape and in the eyes of your community members who weathered the disaster with you. I know this sounds odd, foreign and possibly stupid... but, people here still mark timelines when speaking as "before Katrina and after Katrina."

I am so sorry that your vacation.. and I am sure so many other things you care about were in the path of Sandy. But, I think you should seriously consider marking the anniversary of the storm with something to celebrate. And what better way than to reclaim your Disney cruise?

Last edited by CeCeGarrett; 11-22-2012 at 06:30 AM. Reason: I had a momentary loss of grammar
CeCeGarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 07:30 AM   #26
Happy99
DIS Veteran

I am sorry you had to miss your cruise due to the storm. I understand your fustration but I also do not think that Disney owes you anything as there are many other dates that you can travel that are less expensive than the summer. Basically insurance is for unforseen events and thankfully you had it some people don't purchase insurance for cruises

In addition to what everyone already listed the prices have increased dramatically for the summer since they were released. If you get a cruise credit you can also hold onto it and sail in 2014 once those prices are available if you cannot travel in Nov 2013 or decide you don't want to pay the prices for June 2013. Traveling in 2014 will allow you to take the Royal Caribbean cruise in June that you wanted

Just another option
Happy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #27
tinkerbell 766
If I can't fly, let me sing. Or, in other words if I can't be in Disney, let me talk about it !
DLRP is quite simply my spiritual home

I am so sorry for your situation and the terrible time you have experienced.
However, I have to agree with other posters and say that DCL can not be expected to provide help (albeit just the OBC you are hoping for) for every guest who finds themselves with these dilemmas.
You say that due to school and other family and kid's commitments, that expensively priced cruise is the only one you can take. If it were me, I would jiggle some of these commitments around (even postpone some), in order to take a more affordable cruise. That said, this is just me and I do not know the full extent of your situation. I just don't think it is DCL's responsibility to provide you with the help you seem to seek - I am sorry.
I hope you get it all sorted and end up having a great cruise - you and your family really deserve a break.

tinkerbell 766 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 09:34 AM   #28
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Can't you clear your schedule and see if you can go sometime in December? Its seems you had your heart set on cruising now, and July is SUCH a long time away. If you can wait that long, why not just wait until November next year or a cheaper time next year?
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 12:47 PM   #29
CruizinTigers
Earning My Ears

Everyone,

Sincere thanks to everyone for your honest feedback and opinions. You have helped me to see our situation in a somewhat different light. Believe me when I tell you that we absolutely looked for other dates to reschedule our trip. The conflicts we have next July, August and November are not frivolous, and can not be changed or canceled. We did not arrive at the June 29th sailing without a LOT of searching and consideration. While many of you suggested it, my wife and I agree that we will not take our children out of school for an entire week. The week we had scheduled earlier this month they were to be off from school any way. We would have taken them out only one or two days the week before.

I do not expect anything from Disney, but still feel compelled to write them and let them know of my disappointment. I understand and agree with you all... Disney doesn't owe me anything. The decision to sail on that date is ours, and is not Disney's fault. Still, I feel I need to get this out of my system (writing and sharing this with all of you has helped too... thanks!). It is likely that no one there will ever read my letter, but it is something I feel I need to do.

In the grand scheme of things, I realize we are so much more fortunate than many of my fellow Jerseyans. We lost power for a week and our vacation, and were greatly inconvenienced. Others, many who are personal friends of mine, lost their homes, some their lives, or all their personal belongings. I pray for them, that they find peace and strength as they begin to rebuild their lives.

I wish you all a very happy and safe Thanksgiving.
CruizinTigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 PM   #30
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruizinTigers View Post
In the grand scheme of things, I realize we are so much more fortunate than many of my fellow Jerseyans. We lost power for a week and our vacation, and were greatly inconvenienced. Others, many who are personal friends of mine, lost their homes, some their lives, or all their personal belongings. I pray for them, that they find peace and strength as they begin to rebuild their lives.

I wish you all a very happy and safe Thanksgiving.
I agree we all need to be thankful for the blessings we do have as there are always others that are dealing with situations much worst. I'm old enough now to know not to sweat the small stuff in life.

We wish you a Happy Thanksgiving too! I sincerely hope your area recovers soon.

D
isneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: