Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:07 PM   #1
DavidandLeahZ
DIS Veteran

OT: Kindle for kids?

Hi everyone,

We're considering getting our son a Kindle for his 7th birthday next month.
He's a huge reader and reads a few grades above his level.

I know we don't want a Kindle Fire b/c then there will be the temptation to play games.

Any thoughts? (specifically from people who have bought their intermediate readers one)

- D

DavidandLeahZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
UConnFan
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidandLeahZ View Post
Hi everyone,

We're considering getting our son a Kindle for his 7th birthday next month.
He's a huge reader and reads a few grades above his level.

I know we don't want a Kindle Fire b/c then there will be the temptation to play games.

Any thoughts? (specifically from people who have bought their intermediate readers one)

- D
Many of my middle school students have a kindle and love it! I think there's nothing wrong with getting your 7 year old a kindle if he will use it and you think he's mature enough to take care of it. Personally, I'd much rather see a kindle in a kid's hand than a DS or other game device. This is a fun way to continue to kindle his love of reading! They're pretty inexpensive now, which always helps.

July 14-21, 2014 - Port Orleans Riverside
December 6-9 2013 Disapalooza - Pop Century
May 19-26 2013 Disneymoon at Pop Century
December 17-21 2012 - Pop Century
New Years 2010/2011 - Pop Century
July 2010
April 2005 - Fort Wilderness Campground
June 2004
UConnFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

I would check, but a friend of mine has a Kindle, and had a lot of trouble preventing her kids from purchasing stuff on the Kindle. I like my Sony eReader; I buy my books via my PC, and then just download them to my Reader. I'm not a fan of doing it via WiFi or whatever. I have more control this way.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Over half of my fifth grade students have either a Kindle or iPad. I have found tremendous success with their using it. Those who were reluctant readers now embrace it. Children who already enjoyed reading read even more now. With this being said, I see those with an eReader jump at the chance to check out a new book from my reading corner so that just goes to show that the physical book holds a certain type of magic for them like it does for many adults. I own a Kindle and have used it all of twice in the past two years.

If you do not connect your Amazon account to a Kindle, they cannot purchase anything without your knowing. I believe the newer versions of the Kindle might even have a parent setting, but don't quote me on that.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site

Last edited by *NikkiBell*; 11-21-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: typo
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:47 PM   #5
DavidandLeahZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by *NikkiBell* View Post
Over half of my fifth grade students have either a Kindle or iPad. I have found tremendous success with their using it. Those who were reluctant readers, now embrace it. Children who already enjoyed reading read even more now. With this being said, I see those with an eReader jump at the chance to check out a new book from my reading corner so that just goes to show that the physical book holds a certain type of magic for them like it does for many adults. I own a Kindle and have used it all of twice in the past two years.

If you do not connect your Amazon account to a Kindle, they cannot purchase anything without your knowing. I believe the newer versions of the Kindle might even have a parent setting, but don't quote me on that.
Nikki - due to your profession - I was hoping you'd chime in.
I'll send you a FB message soon b/c we'd like advice on what books to move him to next.

DavidandLeahZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Definitely! You know how to reach me.

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:20 PM   #7
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

A little OT but has he read the Kingdom Keeper series, the Peter and the Starcatcher series, or the Bridge to Never Land? My oldest, who is an avid reader, enjoys those.

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 11:03 PM   #8
mommyceratops
Covets Clown School
Kevin's best buddy (you happy now?)
Totally Addicted to DisUnplugged!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarabi's Cubs
A little OT but has he read the Kingdom Keeper series, the Peter and the Starcatcher series, or the Bridge to Never Land? My oldest, who is an avid reader, enjoys those.

Laurie
We love Peter and the Starcatchers! We are now on Bridge to Neverland.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #9
mommyceratops
Covets Clown School
Kevin's best buddy (you happy now?)
Totally Addicted to DisUnplugged!

Oops! I hit send to soon. My 9 and 12 year olds have kindles and love them! They are great for trips. They can play games, watch movies and read.

You can also use the parental controls and turn off the games and movies so they can only read.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: