Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 PM   #1
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

Would you harbor your child the fugitive?

Setting: my teeny tiny town aka post office, auto body shop, junk yard, and maybe 15 house in a square mile area. NOTHING ever happens here (really).

Yesterday, I notice a police car parked outside the neighbor's house four doors down, both on my way to work and home, VERY unusual.

DS comes racing in the door from h.s. to tell us that the 20yo boy who lives at that house was driving drunk the night before, rolled his brand new truck, and called his MOTHER rather than the police. She came and got both him and the passenger, took them to the house, and finally took the passenger to the hospital when she realized something was seriously wrong. He ended up being flight for lifed to the nearest big hospital with serious internal injuries: spleen/liver, etc.

In the meanwhile, the driver/son is "in the wind", the police feel that the parents are aiding/abetting him in his desire not to be caught, and the rest of us in the neighborhood are just in shock. The parents are in serious trouble with the insurance companies, the police, the passenger's parents, etc, etc, and they still won't say where their son is.

DS looked right at me and said, "I know you'd turn me in, but you'd at least call a lawyer for me, right?"

What kind of parent would do this, and do they truly believe he's going to get away with it?

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
ebtbmom
DIS Veteran

Hard to say for sure what one would do in such a situation. I think that when he called me I would have called 911 to get there first and make sure he was ok. After the fact, no I can't see myself harboring him from the police, I'm more of an admit your mistake and take the consequences kind of person. It sounds like the parents are totally making it worse on everyone.
11/2004 1st trip, ASM,11/2006 2nd trip, POP,6/2008 day trip DLR,11/2008 3rd trip, POP,1/2010 DLR at DLH!,1/2011 1st solo POFQ, 11/2011 POR, 3/2012 B-day trip! 10/2012 POP, 6/2013 day trip DLP 11/2013 POP 2/2014 CSR 2nd solo! 10/2014 CBR
ebtbmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
Miss Peach
Mouseketeer

Parents can be pretty nuts when it comes to their kids!

Last New Years Eve my husband and I had just turned out our lights and were looking at the city lights view, when a car comes careening down our hill, spins out of control and crashes into two cars and a block wall. Six teens pour out of the back seat and run back up the hill. Three more teens spill out of the front seat and start flailing around, swearing up a storm!

Meanwhile the parents of the driver come speeding down the hill, alerted by some of the ill fated passengers no doubt.

We can hear them trying to figure out how to get the driver out of the responsibility. The mom is screaming and swearing. The dad is pacing and on his cell.

And then the police arrive. We can hear the bogus story they are telling the police. My husband goes out to talk to one of the officers... And the police say they have it under control, don't want his information, and he needs to go in the house. Done and done.

I still don't know whether that teen had any repercussions!
Miss Peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

My son knows that I would gladly sell him out for a box of twinkles.

I could see a parent trying to keep the authorities out of a situation if there is just a fender bender with no injuries or other parties. But in this situation, there is a serious injury. These parents are just digging a very deep hole for themselves. Forget about hiring an attorney for their son. They are going to need an attorney for themselves.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #5
rigs32
DIS Veteran

So now the parents can get arrested and sued. The son's bail will be much much higher once he's found cause he can't hide forever and this won't go away.
rigs32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
doxdogy
Owned by doxies!
I remember the day I turned into my parents

No.
doxdogy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:48 PM   #7
yoopermom
Suffers from too many teenage Stephen King influences

This just makes me so sad, because I've known the boy since he was little, and the parents are both hardworking members of the community/active in the schools, etc. I'm choosing to think that they panicked, and now don't know how to get out of it. I mean, realistically, this isn't the movies and a person (especially one who's lived a very sheltered life in a quiet rural community all his life) just isn't going to be able to live on the lam forever, is he?

Terri
yoopermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:50 PM   #8
Wall-E1
Dis DAD
Beware the mac & cheeseHas YAGEing down to a fine art

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom View Post
This just makes me so sad, because I've known the boy since he was little, and the parents are both hardworking members of the community/active in the schools, etc. I'm choosing to think that they panicked, and now don't know how to get out of it. I mean, realistically, this isn't the movies and a person (especially one who's lived a very sheltered life in a quiet rural community all his life) just isn't going to be able to live on the lam forever, is he?

Terri
The best thing they can do is completely come clean immediately. The longer they lie, the worse it is going to be. The truth has a way of making people more understanding.
1979 Polynesian - 1984 Polynesian - 1998 Dixie Landings - Dec 2003 Coronado Springs - Apr 2004 Animal Kingdom Lodge - June 2004 All Star Sports - Oct 2004 Carribean Beach - Dec 2004 Port Orleans French Quarter - Jan 2005 Wilderness Lodge - May 2005 Pop Century - Oct 2005 Pop Century - Dec 2005 Dolphin Resort - Jan 2006 Disneyland Resort California - August 2006 Yacht Club - Sep 2006 Coronado Springs - Dec 2006 Dolphin Resort - Sep 2007 All Star Movies - Nov 2007 ABD Costa Rica - Feb 2008 Pop Century - August 2008 All Star Music - Sep 2008 All Star Movies - Nov 2008 Pop Century - Dec 2008 Boardwalk Villas - May 2009 Beach Club Villas - September 2009 All Star Movies (my son's 20th trip to WDW!) - Nov 2009 All Star Movies - and for 2010!!! - Jan 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - May 2010 Port Orleans Riverside - September 2010 Pop Century - December 2010 Contemporary - November 2011 Beach Club Villas - March 2012 Animal Kingdom Lodge - October 2012 Contemporary

Wall-E1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #9
hereyago
DIS Veteran

Don't get me wrong, I would die for my dd14,but I wouldd never sacrifice myself legally etc for her. I totally understand wanting to protect your child,but they are doing a huge disservice to their son by doing this.
hereyago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #10
Feralpeg
Diet coke lover
Can now visit the parks anytime
My DD, the movie star
Sean Bean...is he related to Mr. Bean?

It's hard to say since I've never been that type of position, but I think I'd turn my child over to the authorities and be by her side every step of the way. While it would be extremely hard, it would mean the difference of short term trouble (even if that meant some jail time) to a life of being on the run.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #11
diznygirl
I have a symmetry thing
It is always important to know what team the whackjobs are playing for!
It was the wedding with a two-meatball limit

Sitcoms have shown us that if you try to cover something up, trouble (and hilarity) ensues and you end up having to do the right thing in the in the end anyway. We tell our kids they should always just save the hassle and do the right thing first.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:21 PM   #12
JaneBanks
Lime Cordial, delicious! Laughing on the ceiling with Uncle Albert

Sometimes parents will do anything, illegal or not, to help their kid. Some even get away with it, ex: Casey Anthony.

(ME) (DH) =

December 2010 Grand Floridian Honeymoon

February 2012 Port Orleans French Quarter
January 2014 Port Orleans French Quarter
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:01 PM   #13
shinysparklybubbles
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall-E1
My son knows that I would gladly sell him out for a box of twinkles.
I hope the tag fairy is around :-)
Old 11-21-2012, 03:08 PM   #14
cornflake
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoopermom View Post

Terri
Depends on how much money they have and how serious the charges/how determined the cops/DA are to catch him. People do it. In the case you're describing seems highly unlikely.

In the case you're describing - drunk driving - not only am I not harbouring, I'd drive them to the cops myself before the alcohol in their system could dissipate and no, I'm not calling you a lawyer, enjoy your public defender.

If it's like, white collar crime, that's a different matter, will probably call a lawyer, heh.
cornflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #15
Luv Bunnies
DIS Veteran

It it were one of my sons, I would help them get an attorney, but they would be facing their own consequences.
Luv Bunnies is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: