Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
mickeeemouse
Mouseketeer

Question Coral Reef Yes or No?

So we are thinking about Coral Reef, I have read different responses on it from people. Has anyone been there lately and can give me their opinion is it worth the table service credit or shold we go somewhere else? Thank you.

mickeeemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

9 times out of 10 I tell people to look at the menu and decide for themselves if it looks appealing, and then go and see if they were right. However, Coral Reef is one of only 2 places in WDW where the food and service was so bad that not only will we never go back, but I recommend others avoid it, too. I'd seen many negative reviews on this place in the past and disregarded them, preferring to test it for ourselves. Boy did I regret it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #3
Spunky946
DIS Veteran

We really enjoyed the food, the service and the atmosphere.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
ghtx
"In this times that all strategies seem to be death and you pay to eat fart and make a line in the parks of DW and just a few rides..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by minnie mum View Post
9 times out of 10 I tell people to look at the menu and decide for themselves if it looks appealing, and then go and see if they were right. However, Coral Reef is one of only 2 places in WDW where the food and service was so bad that not only will we never go back, but I recommend others avoid it, too. I'd seen many negative reviews on this place in the past and disregarded them, preferring to test it for ourselves. Boy did I regret it.
Don't leave us hanging... what's the second?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghtx View Post
Don't leave us hanging... what's the second?
H&V dinner.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:59 PM   #6
M Mouse hunter
Earning My Ears

My wife and I haven eaten at corral reef at least 7 or 8 times since 2008 and have never had a bad experience. It is probably our favorite restaurant.
M Mouse hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:02 PM   #7
Roxychica7
DIS Veteran

We tried Coral Ref once back in 2009. My steak was super salty and I could barely eat it and my fiance's fish was lack luster. Since then, we have gone back every time and just order lobster bisque, bread and another appetzier and pay OOP, just because we love the atmosphere so much. The lobster bisque there is outstanding. I agree above..check out the menu and see if anything appeals to you. They have changed the menu slightly since we have gone and some of the new meals do sound good. I have been contemplating trying it again as a TS credit.
Jess (Me)-29 Blake (DF)-28 Our Italian Greyhound and our salt water tank
WHY did you do it? 2010
Upcoming Trip: Pop Century!
Roxychica7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:38 PM   #8
poohmickey
Mouseketeer

Location: West Coast - more than 3,000 miles from WDW - but that won't stop us!

We ate there in fall 2011 and it turned out to be one of our teenagers favorite meals. They are both insisting on going back on our next trip!
poohmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:53 PM   #9
Tanyabeth8
Mouseketeer

I ate there last week. I did not think it was bad at all. Our server was good, but she was extremely busy. We had a decent seat near the fish tank. It was not a bad experience at all, but of all the restaurants I ate at last week it was not one of my favorites. In Epcot I enjoyed La Hacienda and Marrakesh way more.
Tanyabeth8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeeemouse View Post
So we are thinking about Coral Reef, I have read different responses on it from people. Has anyone been there lately and can give me their opinion is it worth the table service credit or should we go somewhere else? Thank you.
I know that you have asked for recent opinions, but I haven't been back in quite a while. My meals there were so mediocre (though they don't seem to have been as bad as others who have chimed in) that I just can't justify returning knowing that Flying Fish and bluezoo are so close by to answer our craving for seafood. Those two restaurants are so far superior to Coral Reef that it makes no sense for us to spend our money at CR.

Of course, others will say: "Yeah, but....FF is a 2 credit restaurant and bluezoo isn't on the Dining Plan". To which I say: "Exactly. And that's why I don't get the DP." Why eat inferior food when there is good/great food right around the corner?
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
rznhal
DIS Veteran

Yes!

I think it's worth a try....the atmosphere is awesome! Our food was very good once, ok the second time.

Happy planning!

me, DH, DD6, DS2
1988-Grand Floridian, 1993-offsite, 1994-offsite
2002-DTD and Disney Cruise Honeymoon
2005-offsite, 2009-POP, 2011-CSR
2012-Adults only Graduation Trip-AKL
2013-AKL again!
rznhal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Chelley00
DIS Veteran

We like Coral Reef so much we've gone almost every trip, and it was one my mom requested to go to this trip as a repeat. We've had one time where we had a really slow waitress, but we had a terrible waiter at Le Cellier too.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
scrappinginontario
DIS Veteran

My 3yo DD and I at at Coral Reef in August and we loved it! I chose lunch as I preferred the menu available. We were also lucky to get a table right next to the aquarium which was awesome.

The food was very good and the service was fine. Not exceptional service but nothing to complain about either.

We'll go back for sure!

Amazing Trips with DD: Nov 2014 (MVMCP with Nana & Papa), Sep 2014 (10 days with Cousins), Feb 2014 (7 night Eastern Caribbean cruise on Fantasy), November 2013 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2013 (11 Mommy and DD days. Perfect!!), Nov 2012 (2 days AoA LM with grandparents and DN), Aug 2012 (10 awesome days with just the 2 of us!), Nov 2011 (2 days with grandparents), Aug 2011 (8 days with DN and Nana), Apr 2010 (3 days), Nov 2010 (2 days with grandparents)
scrappinginontario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 05:32 PM   #14
heidijanesmith
DIS Veteran

No!

My family are all scuba divers and their favorite part of our WDW trip is always diving at The Seas, so I thought eating at Coral Reef would be super fun for them. We had a terrible server and no one liked their food but me. I liked the lobster mac-n-cheese, but my DD did not like the lobster bisque or the shrimp. DS did not like the Mahi Mahi and DH did not like the steak. They all finished my lobster mac and cheese.

It was very expensive, portions very small and poor service. We will not go back to this one. The atmosphere is very nice, the aquarium is lovely and if you eat when the scuba divers are there, it's fun.

May 2005 AKL Pool view
July 2010 Poly Standard view- WDW and US
Aug 2012 YC Pool view- WDW, US and BG
Oct 2013 Poly Cl Lagoon view- WDW and US
Oct 2014 BW CL BW View- WDW and US

The Smith's take on the Poly- TR
heidijanesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:17 PM   #15
PoohsFan1
DIS Veteran

We have eaten there a total of 3 times now and after our first time (we did have good service and the food was even good too), we have grown to not like this restaurant at all. We thought we would give it another try on our last trip (the last time we dined there was in 2007) and I hate to say it, but it was our worst meal of our entire 13 day trip. I can safely say that we will not be returning there again anytime soon. There is way too many other restaurants in Epcot that we would much rather go to then there.

PoohsFan1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: