DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 08:28 AM   #16
stmize
Dvc member since Nov 2010--WDW mom of ds 17 & dd 14

I could kick myself many times over that we didn't buy back in mid nineties.
Old 11-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #17
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmize View Post
I started to feel that way as well and then realized, for us, these past few years have been the perfect time to have DVC.

Our children are young adults now, so they bring friends and since we don't need to "watch" them, trips are more relaxed. Eating a leisurely breakfast in the morning, visiting the parks as we wish, having access to laundry in the unit, make for a substantially less rushed experience. If they were still young and we were bringing their friends, it would have been too stressful.

When our children were young, we spent all day in the parks. Having DVC back then would not have been worth it to us since we would not be at the resort. Now, we work our day around the resort with the other offerings as secondary.

When our children are married with families of their own, we will be able to offer them a place to stay while they march off to rope drop and fireworks and we (my wife and I) can decide if we want to go along. At the end of the day, everyone will gather at "the grandparents house" (most likely Boardwalk) for a relaxed evening, dinner and balcony time. Perfect!

Stephen
Register to remove

Old 11-23-2012, 07:33 PM   #18
DizBub
Totally Addicted

We were able to treat DD#1 and the grandkids to 8 nights in a 1br at SSR this fall. In the coming year we will treat DD#3 and her DH to a long weekend at AKV in a 2br. DD#2 and her DH will get their turn in Sept in a 2br at BCV for 7 nights. Plus we have a couple of solo trips planned, just DH and myself.

We love our DVC.!! And so do our kids. It does change you.
DizBub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 08:03 PM   #19
joeyrose
Mouseketeer

i like being a dvc member and i like this thread!
joeyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:57 AM   #20
jimmytammy
Swivel, it's a hard habit to break
Not Tammy, just Jimmy
Go, Panthers!!! (oh, nevermind...)

DVC has made life vacationing a lot more relaxing for us too. We used to be the like so many, in the parks when they open, there when they close, and worn out in between. DVC has allowed us the time to relax, hang out at the resort, eat our breakfast in the room, enjoy coffee on the balcony, etc.

Like so many, wish we had bought sooner
Old 11-24-2012, 09:49 AM   #21
stmize

Another thing I've noticed is I used to buy a lot of park tshirts etc and some things I still do but I tend to buy more Dvc merc for instance this yr I got a cool water bottle with a straw a pink tshirts a grey sweatshirt a magnet clip for fridge and other stuff
Old 11-24-2012, 10:22 AM   #22
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

I still buy several non-DVC T-shirts, assuming they have products I like. Some trips I find quite a few, other trips, nothing.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #23
stmize

I bought some Mickey jeans and a cool Mickey blue and black sweater and disney pins but most other stuff was Dvc
Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #24
brettcw23
DDC #722
Always remember...bad decisions often lead to great stories!
Yeah, I'm crafty like that

We still do rope drop but go at a leisurely pace. We now will take longer breaks back at the resort. Getting to the parks early enables us to ride the attractions without waiting in lines.
DIS Dad #722
WDW Commando Member #222
Controlled Chaos and the Quest for Bottomless Dole Whips
Boo, Brew and Happy Birthday, too!

1982 offsite, 2007 offsite, 2010 All Star Movies
2011 All Star Sports, 2012 AKL-Kidani Village (Mar.)
2012 BLT (Nov.), 2013 BWV, 2014 BLT
brettcw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #25
TEK224

Never gets tired of hearing "You're going to Disney again?!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
No more APs, now you can switch to non expiring 10 day tickets. One of my favorite things is talking to CMs and Guests around the resort.

Bill
Bill,

Just wondering... do you think it's worth it to get the non-exp MYW instead of an AP? Is it because you only go once a year or you don't visit the parks alot when you go?

I love my DVC. Sometimes I go solo, other times I bring friends or the nieces and nephews. I still park hop and do rope drop (or close to it) at times. If I do rope drop, I'll then go back to the room in the afternoon to relax and hit another park at night. I love the extra space and the W&D.

But I think what helped me "relax" more was getting an AP. When I had MYW pass, if I only wanted to get to a park for a short time (or for dinner at EPCOT), I felt like I wasted a day off the ticket. With the AP, if I go to a park for 2 hours and then leave I don't have that feeling of "not getting my money's worth". Now, I only get an AP if I know I'm going to be tehre a couple times a year. Otherwise it's a MYW ticket.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:36 PM   #26
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK224 View Post
Bill,

Just wondering... do you think it's worth it to get the non-exp MYW instead of an AP? Is it because you only go once a year or you don't visit the parks alot when you go?

I love my DVC. Sometimes I go solo, other times I bring friends or the nieces and nephews. I still park hop and do rope drop (or close to it) at times. If I do rope drop, I'll then go back to the room in the afternoon to relax and hit another park at night. I love the extra space and the W&D.

But I think what helped me "relax" more was getting an AP. When I had MYW pass, if I only wanted to get to a park for a short time (or for dinner at EPCOT), I felt like I wasted a day off the ticket. With the AP, if I go to a park for 2 hours and then leave I don't have that feeling of "not getting my money's worth". Now, I only get an AP if I know I'm going to be tehre a couple times a year. Otherwise it's a MYW ticket.
I am curious to read Bill's rationale for this as well.

Stephen
Old 11-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #27
spencerbomar
DVC since March 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by stmize View Post
Most new owners, if not all don't remember that until the end of 1999 DVC enticed purchase by providing "free" park passes.
A studio and 1BR rental entitled the member to 2 passes for your length of stay, and a 2BR was 4 passes.
Since we joined in March 1993, we went to the park for free for 6 years.
Great benefit, huh?
And now our points can be sold for about 150% of what we paid for them even having used them for 20 years.
I love that our guide and others advised us that DVC was not to be considered an investment.
spencerbomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 05:17 PM   #28
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEK224 View Post
Bill,

We have been members for many years and we go into the parks less and less as time goes on. We used to vacation at WDW 3 times per year maybe 10 days per trip. Then twice per year, still about 10 days per trip. Depending on what's going on we still have AP vouchers that we can use but we also have several 10 day hopper and non hopper, non expiring tickets.

Looking at our park pattern one day I realized that spending the money on APs didn't always make sense based on how many days we went into the parks. Same thing with park hoppers, why buy hoppers if we don't hop?

Now by deciding ahead of time which trips will be park trips and which will not, we have saved hundreds of dollars by matching the admission media to our park schedule.

The freedom to have a AP and to go into a park to have dinner or just to go on a ride or attraction is nice but it does get expensive.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #29
Caren90
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneynutz View Post
We have been members for many years and we go into the parks less and less as time goes on. We used to vacation at WDW 3 times per year maybe 10 days per trip. Then twice per year, still about 10 days per trip. Depending on what's going on we still have AP vouchers that we can use but we also have several 10 day hopper and non hopper, non expiring tickets.

Looking at our park pattern one day I realized that spending the money on APs didn't always make sense based on how many days we went into the parks. Same thing with park hoppers, why buy hoppers if we don't hop?

Now by deciding ahead of time which trips will be park trips and which will not, we have saved hundreds of dollars by matching the admission media to our park schedule.

The freedom to have a AP and to go into a park to have dinner or just to go on a ride or attraction is nice but it does get expensive.

Bill
Thanks for responding Bill. This is what I thought you meant but I am glad to have your explanation to confirm it.

I think we are beginning a similar phase in our Disney life and I will need to look into our ticket costs/ purchases more carefully.

Stephen
Old 11-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #30
mickeymom629
DIS Veteran

I must be in the minority because I still love to plan (okay, obsess ), be at rope drop and "see it all". Of course, maybe I haven't been able to go as often or for as long as you pp's have lately but, even when we were going annually, I still was trying to fit it all in. I just can't stop myself and I know my family would like to relax more... Now my kids are older and we are going back in January for the first time altogether in 5 years and I find myself trying to plan some breaks in our 7 nights in the World. If only I had 2 weeks...

2014 Nov DL/DCA GCV for Avengers Half!!;2014 Feb AKV/BLT for PHM!!; 2013 Jan ASM/BWV grand villa!!; 2012 April DL/DCA GCV (spring break); 2010 March Princess Half Marathon POFQ/BWV; 2009 May SSR villa; 2008 June OKW; 2008 March (Spring break) BWV; 2007 Dec. Quality Suites; 2007 July POP/OKW; 2006 April (Spring break) Quality Suites/OKW; 2005 June/July ASSp/OKW; 2005 March - (Spring break) OKW;2004 June/July CBR/OKW; 2003 Dec. BWV; 2003 Jan. Wonder Cruise/HH; 2002 Apr. (Spring break) VWL; 2001 July OKW; 2000 Aug. FW cabin/BWV; 1999 Oct./Nov. ASM/ASSp Became DVC owners!; 1998 Apr./May FW Cabin; 1993 Dec. Travelodge
mickeymom629 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: