DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Resorts
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2012, 01:28 PM   #31
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
How would they know if a dish was stolen or just dropped and broken as part of normal wear and tear?
It wouldn't take much for trends to emerge from one resort to the next. If "nicer" kitchenware is being replaced at a more frequent rate than the lesser stuff, the reasons are pretty obvious.

That said, if dishware is being replaced property-wide, there may be other reasons. With few exceptions, only villas are stocked with kitchenware. It's one thing to buy 500 sets when opening a new facility, but could prove more challenging to obtain replacements over time. Supplier problems could be another driving force behind the move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
It seems to me that they start off with snazzy dishes in the new properties to help sell them, then end up switching them out to white as dishes get broken or "misplaced."
The unique dishes lasted much longer than just a few years to help sell a new property. And AKV is still available for sale.

Not sure how many individuals would make a buy/don't buy decision based upon the kitchenware patterns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleiada View Post
I always wondered why the coffee mugs in BCV were so unusually small...narrow. Never seen mugs like this before. Now it makes sense...they want you to buy mugs or coffee from them. Ugh!
I'd say it's more likely that the smallish sizes are designed to discourage theft. I think most people can deal with plain, undersized cereal bowls and coffee mugs for a few days on vacation. But nobody wants to take that stuff home and stock it in their own kitchen.

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #32
TravelinGal
DIS Veteran

I guess I'll be the lone voice that says I hated the heavy plates they had at OKW! Yes, the colors were nice, but I have problems lifting heavy things and even those plates were hard for me. I know there are other people out there with medical issues that affect their hands and arms who probably feel the same way. (main issue for me is in and out of cupboards)

Personally, I'd be thrilled beyond words if they replaced everything with lightweight Corell dishes! Still decent dishware (NOT PLASTIC/MELAMINE!) but lightweight and hard to chip/break. (Only ones I've ever had break were when the fell on each other! LOL)

Sadly, I'm sure the plain white plates they're replacing the fiesta ware with are thick and heavy too...

Of course, I also think they should have plastic plates and cups for all the KIDS that go through there! I was a nervous wreck anytime my son was trotting around with a glass. I ended up going to Wallgreens and buying a few plastic cups for him to use!

TravelinGal is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 02:49 PM   #33
Sammie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelinGal View Post
I guess I'll be the lone voice that says I hated the heavy plates they had at OKW! Yes, the colors were nice, but I have problems lifting heavy things and even those plates were hard for me. I know there are other people out there with medical issues that affect their hands and arms who probably feel the same way. (main issue for me is in and out of cupboards)

Personally, I'd be thrilled beyond words if they replaced everything with lightweight Corell dishes! Still decent dishware (NOT PLASTIC/MELAMINE!) but lightweight and hard to chip/break. (Only ones I've ever had break were when the fell on each other! LOL)

Sadly, I'm sure the plain white plates they're replacing the fiesta ware with are thick and heavy too...

Of course, I also think they should have plastic plates and cups for all the KIDS that go through there! I was a nervous wreck anytime my son was trotting around with a glass. I ended up going to Wallgreens and buying a few plastic cups for him to use!
The white ones are not as heavy as Fiestaware but heavier than Corell. They are the same dishes that in room dining uses.
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #34
dianeschlicht
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention
DIS Earth Angel :)
I promise not to plot against the showering
today I can only think of bubbles :o

LOL, so I opened this thread expecting to read something about plane shaped dinnerware, only to find out it was "plain" dinnerware.

I am another one who wishes OKW still had the Fiesta ware. HATE the generic ones, and hate most the small size of the cups. For that reason, we have put large mugs in our Owner's Locker as well as decent sized cereal bowls.

As for that "fancy" AKV dinner ware....I kind of like it, but some of the pieces aren't too practical.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 PM   #35
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianeschlicht View Post
LOL, so I opened this thread expecting to read something about plane shaped dinnerware, only to find out it was "plain" dinnerware.

I am another one who wishes OKW still had the Fiesta ware. HATE the generic ones, and hate most the small size of the cups. For that reason, we have put large mugs in our Owner's Locker as well as decent sized cereal bowls.

As for that "fancy" AKV dinner ware....I kind of like it, but some of the pieces aren't too practical.
What is with those tiny villa mugs anyway? I bring an old refillable mug with us each trip for my in-room morning coffee, but the kids up to now have been getting new ones to use down at the refill station. Maybe their reasoning behind the small cups is to encourage purchases of mugs. It worked on us but I have to say my cupboards are full up with Disney mugs and unless they're special, we are stopping. Means more grocery items, but I'm fine with that.

Personally, I don't care what my plate looks like as long as it's clean and doesn't have an odd design. It's the food ON the plate that matters.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #36
jodifla

DIS Veteran

I'll be really shocked if the new models for the GF villas have plain white plates!
jodifla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #37
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

Ok, i'm normally not the cynical one,and i'm probably off base here, but perhaps although they provide dishes in the villas as part of DVC, Disney would prefer for us to eat at the parks... kind of a subtle discouragement to using the dishes.

January 1979 Offsite; January 1992 POR; March 1999Honeymoon ; May 2002 CBR; May 2008 Offsite; November 2008 CBR March 2009 DVC SSR, BCV; August 2009 DVC AKV,BCV; December 2009 DVC SSR; February 2010 DVC BCV; November 2010 DVC BWV; May 2011 POP; March 2012 DCL Dream and POP; May 2012 POP; April 2013 DVC BCV; November 2013 CSR; Yacht Club, DCL Dream and BWV May 2014, SSR and AKV-Jambo September 2014
Hunclemarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:49 PM   #38
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodifla View Post
I'll be really shocked if the new models for the GF villas have plain white plates!
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I mean how many people purchase a timeshare based upon what kind of dinnerware they show in the models? Since all the onsite restaurants, many of which originally had custom themed dinnerware, are all going generic, why would DVC be any different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunclemarco View Post
Ok, i'm normally not the cynical one,and i'm probably off base here, but perhaps although they provide dishes in the villas as part of DVC, Disney would prefer for us to eat at the parks... kind of a subtle discouragement to using the dishes.
Really? A white plate encourages us to eat at the parks, off of the same generic dinnerware that is in the villas?

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:22 PM   #39
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck S View Post
I wouldn't be surprised at all. I mean how many people purchase a timeshare based upon what kind of dinnerware they show in the models? Since all the onsite restaurants, many of which originally had custom themed dinnerware, are all going generic, why would DVC be any different?

Really? A white plate encourages us to eat at the parks, off of the same generic dinnerware that is in the villas?
I wasn't thinking of the color of a plate, i was looking at the size of the plates/bowls etc... I haven't seen them, but a few here mentioned that using the bowls were pretty much useless; and that the coffee cups were quite small. And as i also said, i know my thought was a far stretch. Would i still use the DVC kitchens? Yes! ...but some might see it as an inconvenience...that's all.

January 1979 Offsite; January 1992 POR; March 1999Honeymoon ; May 2002 CBR; May 2008 Offsite; November 2008 CBR March 2009 DVC SSR, BCV; August 2009 DVC AKV,BCV; December 2009 DVC SSR; February 2010 DVC BCV; November 2010 DVC BWV; May 2011 POP; March 2012 DCL Dream and POP; May 2012 POP; April 2013 DVC BCV; November 2013 CSR; Yacht Club, DCL Dream and BWV May 2014, SSR and AKV-Jambo September 2014
Old 11-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #40
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
I wasn't thinking of the color of a plate, i was looking at the size of the plates/bowls etc... I haven't seen them, but a few here mentioned that using the bowls were pretty much useless; and that the coffee cups were quite small. And as i also said, i know my thought was a far stretch. Would i still use the DVC kitchens? Yes! ...but some might see it as an inconvenience...that's all.
Put is this way...how much weight did you give dinnerware when making your own DVC purchase decision?

If these smaller mugs & bowls were in-place back then, would it have swayed your decision?

Old 11-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #41
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
Put is this way...how much weight did you give dinnerware when making your own DVC purchase decision?

If these smaller mugs & bowls were in-place back then, would it have swayed your decision?
Not at all

Lesson for me... i was thinking way off on a tangent....after seeing people get upset about not going to see the mouse because of plain napkins and such... i was just thinking what they would say about a change like this. I was wrong to think in such a way.

I personally don't feel that way, and won't think such thoughts in the future.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #42
twinklebug
Dreaming in Mickey Vision
Too bad I wasn't 20, oh, I mean 3 years younger

Location: Left my heart in WDW, if found please leave at WL frontdesk

Owners Locker rents strollers - I wonder if they'd consider dishware rentals
Plain white pottery at Villas @ Grand Floridian got you down? Rent our Royal Dalton Fine china! Only $$/day (plus deposit)
I am kidding of course
Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #43
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR

Quote:
....after seeing people get upset about not going to see the mouse because of plain napkins and such...
FWIW, I'm not sure I buy into that one either.

I know some people take issue with changes Disney has made over the years. And that's certainly their prerogative. But I find it hard to believe that napkins would be the proverbial tipping point. If anything, it's just one more item to add to a much longer list of personal grievances.

As for the villa dishes, I do think the plain dishes could be a lost opportunity to "wow" someone. It's reasonable to think that some people--opening the cabinets during a tour--would be impressed by designer dishware. That could be one small factor which contributes to an easier sale.

But at the end of the day, I don't think DVC is going to actually lose any sales over generic dishes.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:56 PM   #44
SamSam

DIS Veteran

Quote:

It's more of a 'general overall' look of the new villa's that sell us on a particular resort, and that includes the dinnerware, the curtains, the pillows, etc. I, for one, really liked the Kidani dinnerware and am sorry to see them replaced. Will it lesson my vacation experience...no, but I did enjoy the way the dinnerware fit with the room decor.

I have to admit that I'm a little shocked that people steal the dinnerware! I know...I'm a hopeless optimistic, always believing in the good of people.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 PM   #45
Hunclemarco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
FWIW, I'm not sure I buy into that one either.

I know some people take issue with changes Disney has made over the years. And that's certainly their prerogative. But I find it hard to believe that napkins would be the proverbial tipping point. If anything, it's just one more item to add to a much longer list of personal grievances.

As for the villa dishes, I do think the plain dishes could be a lost opportunity to "wow" someone. It's reasonable to think that some people--opening the cabinets during a tour--would be impressed by designer dishware. That could be one small factor which contributes to an easier sale.

But at the end of the day, I don't think DVC is going to actually lose any sales over generic dishes.
I do agree with you on all points ... didn't mean to cause dissension... my mind isn't all here today...guess i'm just having a bad day.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: