Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 PM   #121
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

If there are so many people that I literally can't move....I'm just going to enjoy myself by looking at all the fantastic scenery around me! There is no way I'm going to let crowds get me down! Bring it on!
Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 PM   #122
Dshelly2004
Earning My Ears

going first week in Jan.

Going to be at WDW January 1-5th. We went last year and were there the same time. The crowds weren't bad. We usually went to the parks early and rode what we really wanted to ride. Early afternoon back to the resort for pool time and naps then back to the parks.

Last year the parks were open really late so we did get a chance to do a lot. My kids were 12 and 9 at the time and this was there vacation with Dad after the divorce. It was the best vacation ever. We didn't feel like herded cattle very often and we definately had the magic.

My kids will once again miss a couple days of school but this is a trip of the year and it's the really only time we can do it with my work. Just prepare the family to really roll with it and have fun. You are at a truly magical place where fun is everywhere you look.

WDW - 1981, 1993, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2012
DL - 1994, 1995, 1997
EuroDisney - 1993
Dshelly2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-03-2012, 03:20 PM   #123
arthuruscg
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendimn View Post
Like I said above..this is the only time we have to take a WDW vacation..insanely crowded or not..we are going. So..we have to make the best of it. I have every intention of getting there at rope drop..doing what we want to do..and then who cares..lol. When we first decided to go at Christmas..I made a post here about it. HUGE mistake..I was told it was "hell on earth"..that people would never do it again..even if it was free. I almost cancelled our trip.
A lot of the people here like going at the "off peak" times and run Commando style trips and the uncertainty of the holiday crowd messes up their touring plan.

We will sort of be right there with you. We are staying at Fort Wilderness campground and since the AFS (special military tickets) are blacked out for that week, we will not be going into the parks. We will instead do character meals and see the decorations in each of the hotels.

Then again, our 2year old son could spend the entire time chasing the lizards.
Entire Child hood Fort Wilderness Campground
arthuruscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:09 PM   #124
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskdw

Never a mistake to goto WDW IMO.

I just like people to be prepared. Its tough to wing it when the crowds are like that. But with a good plan, some ADR's, and realistic expectations its the most magical time of year to be at WDW!!

We have spent 3 Christmas at WDW and I actually think it would be a let down to go there without all the Christmas decorations.

simple, direct and kind!! (((Hug)))
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:18 PM   #125
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne

Honestly, you won't/can't understand it until you experience it.
True, I havent been to Disney during Christmas, but I use the word "understand" based on common sense. I have the ability to read and comprehend all the post about how busy it is and I have planned accordingly. Personally it seems to me that the vast majority of ones enjoyment of Disney during Christmas is based on their own attitude.
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:20 PM   #126
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MouseEarsForAll View Post
First paragraph just described me to a T. Love that atmosphere. Then my family is "headaches and noise."

I hate crowds and noise myself, but I am still tempted to go during Christmas sometime. I wouldn't spend much time in the parks, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
It's a people watching spectacle.

Also, you get to see what Epcot was like when it had higher attendance or the rides were new. Riding Universe of Energy with a completely full theater is different than the average day when half the seats are empty.

I like your points about watching how Disney manages the crowds, too -- I'm not above griping about the crowds at WDW or about the food prepared for the masses, but I'm also fascinated by the sheer accomplishment of WDW and what gets done there every day. Traffic designers study what Disney does because it's sheer genius, and the holidays put the master to the test!
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:43 PM   #127
deebeck
Earning My Ears

Wow

Wow... Haven't been on this thread in a couple of days. We will be there in 17 days. We are extremely excited. We were there during Halloween and it was great. We've never been there days before Christmas (20th to 24th). Thank you to all for helping us set our expectations. I really need to go and ride my "happy place rides" one more time this year. I agree... set your expectations and you will have a blast. There are plenty of things to do in afternoon and evening without waiting in line. I have always wanted to see Osborne light display. Can't believe we are finally going.

A good website that has helped us is touringplans.com.

Hope you all have a great time!!!
again, thanks for all the info.
very helpful

d
deebeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:18 PM   #128
JLS
Avs Fan / DVC Member

I already shared my experience on 12/30 last year, MK closed to capacity, and it was an amazing day, with lunch at the LTT, seeing the holiday parade twice, the holiday-themed shows in front of the castle, the snow! just great.

In the spirit of staying positive for those of you who have planned a trip already, I will also share that we spent Christmas Eve last year in Epcot. Future World during the opening hours was very manageable, and the weather could not have been more perfect. Yes the World Showcase got very crowded that night, but seeing the Candlelight Processional on Christmas Eve, followed by the most spectacular Illuminations fireworks (much longer than the usual ones) was unforgettable. The fireworks and the CP brought tears to my eyes. THAT is a magical Christmas Eve! And Christmas day we slept in, relaxed at the hotel (Bonnet Creek), opened gifts, had Christmas dinner at Boma (amazing), enjoyed the AKL decorations, then went back to the resort and watched both Illuminations and Wishes fireworks from our balcony. Magical Christmas with my family! You cannot have that experience another time of year.

The only negative experience at all last year was 12/27 at the Studios because we made the mistake of not getting there at (or before) opening. Studios are tough if you get there late because there are only a few major attractions which is not enough to spread out that crowd level. We could have been fine getting there really early.
January 2014: Disney Fantasy Western[/FONT]
July 2013: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower RCCL Allure of the Seas cruise
December 2012: Christmas at WDW (stayed with Auntie) [/FONT]
July 2012: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower and Beach Club Villas
December 2011: Christmas at Bonnet Creek Resort and first family cruise on the Carnival Dream!
July 2011: Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas (Cameron's first trip)
June 2009: Beach Club Villas
June 2008: Beach Club Villas
January 2007: Hilton Grand Vacation Club International Drive
May 2006: Vero Beach Resort, Beach Club Villas (Adrian's first trip)
May 2004: Beach Club Villas
May 2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge Villas
May 2002: Boardwalk Villas
December 2000: Beach Club Resort
July 2000: Wilderness Lodge
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 12:38 AM   #129
Friendly Frog
DIS veteran with a mouse on her back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaler View Post
That is why I am on here. Research. I went to Disney 11 years ago with my husband. We were there the week after September 11. I told him never to expect it to be that dead again.

So I sort of know the parks. Not really though. I am trying to figure it all out before we go. At $100 per person we are in it for the long haul though. We did plan on arriving early at every park. We only plan on visiting MK and Epcot. We just haven't picked the days. We also plan on doing Universal one day.
We were also there the week after the 911. It was my first adult trip so I had no idea that it was not a normal crowd. How I wish I could go back in time and take photos this time! ( And if you think WDW was empty, everything at Universal was a walk on.)

I normally only travel on crowd levels of 2 or 3, so I am getting pretty nervous. I won't do rope drops even on slow days anymore. The reason is that I now must use an ECV and navigating in crowds is very stressful. You can't see anything ahead or beside you...except for tushes. It makes it almost impossible to see where you are going. If hubby was with me he could help part the sea of people, but alone and crowds..I may have made a mistake.

Then again, on one of my trips it was pretty busy and I was having a hard time trying to get a spot to see fireworks. I met the nicest person and her family who sort of took me in and helped me. I will never forget their kindness...so I do understand the special magic that can take place!

Last edited by Friendly Frog; 12-05-2012 at 12:43 AM.
Friendly Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #130
Eastern
DIS Veteran

We are arriving on Sat Dec 29. I was planning on going to dinner at our resort and then going to DHS to see Osborne Lights. Do you think we will be able to get into the park ~7pm?
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #131
disneydancer86
Mouseketeer

We are Disney vets heading to AKL on Dec. 30th! This is the first time we are visiting during this time, but I am beyond excited!!! I so appreciate everyone's replies to this thread, it will be very helpful. I, too, now work in a school, so my times for visiting are limited. Being DVC now has made our trips more frequent, which makes it much less disappointing if you miss out on some of the favorite rides. We know we will be back soon!

I was just there last week of June/first week of July and decent crowds + unbearable heat = misery for me. Honestly, though, if the weather is comfortable (and not blistering hot), I think that the crowds will be so much easier to deal with.

We have also been there first week of May, and we felt like we were there alone I remember we WALKED onto Peter Pan's Flight, which is unheard of at any time of the year! (Toy Story Mania had a 30 minute wait!)

We are taking two "1st Visit" guys with us this trip, so I am hoping that they still enjoy themselves, despite the crowds. We will be early risers all week, getting to the parks at rope drop and riding the favorites before things get crazy (per all of your wonderful recommendations). I have read on several other sites that after NYE, the crowds start to become more manageable.

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!
disneydancer86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 08:17 PM   #132
2goofykiddos
Budding Disney addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shir Kahn View Post
If there are so many people that I literally can't move....I'm just going to enjoy myself by looking at all the fantastic scenery around me! There is no way I'm going to let crowds get me down! Bring it on!
This is the exact attitude I am striving for!!
May 2010- 3 days off site
May 2011-- 6 nights POFQ
May 2012- 7 nights VWL!!!!!
Oct 2012 Adult's only F&W trip
Dec 2012- Bonnet Creek with extended family,
1 night CBR
March 2013- off site
May 2014- Bay Lake Tower
2goofykiddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:26 PM   #133
nellyru
Mouseketeer

Talking

We usually go on "off" season times.

This sounds exciting and fun to me!

Maybe if I knew it was going to be hot I wouldn't feel the same way!?
nellyru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #134
LaurenT
DIS Veteran

I go during busy times....
Easter, summer, President's week.
But I will not go during Christmas week. I like to see where I'm walking, not just rely on the crowds to move me along.
I love Disney, but if I can't even see Main Street through the crowds.....well, I'd rather just do something else with the money or figure out another time to go.
Having said all that - if someone said "I'm going to treat you to a trip to Disney, but it has to be Christmas week", I would go and expect to just watch the craziness and ride a few things.....maybe practice maneuvering by getting five or six friends into my Prius and then try to switch places.....

Just me and the mouse! Nov 2014 POFQ
Mommy and Me trip! April 2015 offsite
The Whole Gang Aug 2015 AKL
LaurenT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:16 PM   #135
cyre
Also known as Purple Crate Girl ;)

Insane. Won't ever go that time of year again.

They were using charter busses from the TTC to the MK in addition to the Monorail and Ferry.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: