Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 08:40 PM   #91
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaler
Ok you guys are seriously scaring me with this thread! Due to school times and arranging for all family to be able to go we had no choice but to go at this time. We will be in Orlando from December 27-January 3. We will be staying off site. Please tell me there is hope for my kids to see Disney for the first time!
There is hope. Do your research, have a general plan, be at the parks early, be patient, and understand FastPass.

But there's no getting around the fact that this is the busiest time of year.

FastPass+ Basic Information, Suggested Priorities, And Strategies--Part II
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM   #92
Wendimn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugaler View Post
Ok you guys are seriously scaring me with this thread! Due to school times and arranging for all family to be able to go we had no choice but to go at this time. We will be in Orlando from December 27-January 3. We will be staying off site. Please tell me there is hope for my kids to see Disney for the first time!
Just be prepared. Get to the parks early..that is my plan and we will be there from Dec 20-30th. Is it going to be crowded? Yes. Can it still be an amazing vacation?? Of course..it's Disney World..
Wendimn is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 08:57 PM   #93
bugaler
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
There is hope. Do your research, have a general plan, be at the parks early, be patient, and understand FastPass.

But there's no getting around the fact that this is the busiest time of year.
That is why I am on here. Research. I went to Disney 11 years ago with my husband. We were there the week after September 11. I told him never to expect it to be that dead again.

So I sort of know the parks. Not really though. I am trying to figure it all out before we go. At $100 per person we are in it for the long haul though. We did plan on arriving early at every park. We only plan on visiting MK and Epcot. We just haven't picked the days. We also plan on doing Universal one day.
bugaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #94
IllinoisMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
The part I don't get is, how do people spend thousands of dollars for this type of experience?
Same way everyone else does- it is a choice. It may not be for you and your family, but everyone is different. We decided we wanted to be at WDW during the actual holiday- seems more magical to us (and I work in a school so I am limited). We could have gone the week of Jan 1st and saved lots of $$, but to me it honestly seems anti-climactic. To me, when you give kids a Christmas gift of a trip to WDW you should go right away (but hey, that's just me- don't get upset please anyone!!). I also would be unlikely to spend money on BBB, MVMCP, etc....just not how I want to spend my money though I know others would love it.

I know you probably do understand this, just adding my thoughts for what its worth. Hope EVERYONE enjoys their trips, whenever you choose to go

Disneyworld, Off-site 1981; Disneyland, Disneyland Hotel 1983; Disneyworld, Off-site 1992; Disneyworld, Off-site 1997 ; Disneyworld, Old Key West 2003; Disneyworld, POFQ 2007; Disneyworld and Universal, Offsite Christmas 2012
EPCOT Family of the Day, 12-24-12
Hopeful future DVC members
IllinoisMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #95
IllinoisMommy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
That is why I am on here. Research. I went to Disney 11 years ago with my husband. We were there the week after September 11. I told him never to expect it to be that dead again.

So I sort of know the parks. Not really though. I am trying to figure it all out before we go. At $100 per person we are in it for the long haul though. We did plan on arriving early at every park. We only plan on visiting MK and Epcot. We just haven't picked the days. We also plan on doing Universal one day.
We are staying off-site too and will hit Universal for a day. Getting to the parks at RD will be very important. If you are not aware- MK will have AM EMH daily, and AK too on many of the days. So we will be an hour behind many already- just keep it in mind but you will be fine. Traffic is supposed to be real bad (not really sure HOW bad) so we plan to get to the parks early then stay there for a long day (probably leave after dinner each day).

Enjoy the trip and don't get scared for what you read.

Disneyworld, Off-site 1981; Disneyland, Disneyland Hotel 1983; Disneyworld, Off-site 1992; Disneyworld, Off-site 1997 ; Disneyworld, Old Key West 2003; Disneyworld, POFQ 2007; Disneyworld and Universal, Offsite Christmas 2012
EPCOT Family of the Day, 12-24-12
Hopeful future DVC members
IllinoisMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:09 PM   #96
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

Quote:

The absolute most important piece of advice for you is: Arrive at the parks early! People have said that multiple times, but I want to stress it especially. Do not sleep in!
Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #97
heart
Mouseketeer

Wow...a lot of negativity...

To OP--we'll see you there--same dates, only starting out for two days at Universal. (*virtual high-five*)

--and we've done it before.

You seem like you're packing correctly. 1) Previous experience at parks, 2) ADRs and, 2) a good attitude.

We're lucky enough to have been at WDW many times, and doubly lucky to have plans to return, so altho my kids have their favorite attractions if we don't hit something, NBD as they say (no big deal).

I feel sorry for people I see at these times with their "My First Visit" buttons, especially when they are starting look at each other and say, "Hey, I'm hungry, where should we go to eat?"

Sometimes the crowds, or more specifically specific individuals in them can strain anyone's attitude. I'm still working on that one. Good luck. I try to focus on the CMs and sending them positive energy because they have to deal with the really challenging people.

My one tip Magic Kingdom on Dec 30 for the "practice" fireworks and Epcot on December 31. If you don't mind the mosh pits. I thought they were great! Laser light shows and a fire breathing dragon disco in China. And where else would a 40-ahem-something mom like myself be dancing to the Black Eyed Peas (recorded, not live, I don't want to oversell) with her teenagers? Best. New Year's Eve. Ever.

We will wish the same for both of us and all the DisBoards this year. Mayans willing, of course.
heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #98
princessallegra
They call me Mrs. Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart
Wow...a lot of negativity...

To OP--we'll see you there--same dates, only starting out for two days at Universal. (*virtual high-five*)

--and we've done it before.

You seem like you're packing correctly. 1) Previous experience at parks, 2) ADRs and, 2) a good attitude.

We're lucky enough to have been at WDW many times, and doubly lucky to have plans to return, so altho my kids have their favorite attractions if we don't hit something, NBD as they say (no big deal).

I feel sorry for people I see at these times with their "My First Visit" buttons, especially when they are starting look at each other and say, "Hey, I'm hungry, where should we go to eat?"

Sometimes the crowds, or more specifically specific individuals in them can strain anyone's attitude. I'm still working on that one. Good luck. I try to focus on the CMs and sending them positive energy because they have to deal with the really challenging people.

My one tip Magic Kingdom on Dec 30 for the "practice" fireworks and Epcot on December 31. If you don't mind the mosh pits. I thought they were great! Laser light shows and a fire breathing dragon disco in China. And where else would a 40-ahem-something mom like myself be dancing to the Black Eyed Peas (recorded, not live, I don't want to oversell) with her teenagers? Best. New Year's Eve. Ever.

We will wish the same for both of us and all the DisBoards this year. Mayans willing, of course.
You rock! Best. Mom. Ever. Your kids are lucky!

ASMU '95WL '05POP/POFQ '06ASMU '07POLY CL '09WL CL June '10ASMu Suite Nov '10CSR June '11POR Princess 1/2 '12ASp/CSR/AKL '12 ToT 10 Miler CSR '13
princessallegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:10 PM   #99
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

From an actual enjoyment standpoint..

Epcot is the park you're most likely to actually enjoy being in for New Years Eve. It has huge walkways and more dining, potties, etc.. than the other parks.

Best way to explain it is that the other parks all operate "near" their capacity year-round. Epcot does not. Epcot was built with the idea that Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom weren't going to exist so it has the infrastructure to support that total number of guests.

But Epcot will have more people in it than any of the other parks. It has a much higher overall capacity. Epcot on a normal day is around 30k guests. For NYE it gets to 80-90k depending on various conditions. That seems like a huge leap, and it is, but you have to remember that Magic Kingdom has normal days around 40-45k but then tops out around 65k.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:53 AM   #100
Lil' Grumpy
Lil' Grumpy is really a Big Sweetie

from one family that has done this very thing....my advice is
to ....go for it!

why? there is magic in those crowds that can't be duplicated!

second~ don't forget...you can create magic if you believe ?!

we spent 2 weeks over christmas @ "the bay lake tower"
in 2010, boy ole girl.....we did it all!

in all of our previous trips, & as this was our very first disney's
christmas ~ we had magical moments in each & every park
that were "out of the blue"! never in all our previous trips
have we had such a streak. , to be completely
honest....we were even pixie dusted @ downtown disney. even
in the long lines, we made new disney friends from across
the country.

* one frequently over looked source in the making of magic,
are the fellow guests you will be sharing your christmas trip
with.

i believe from having many, many disney magical moments,
there are things one can do to be noticed....is to present a
positive attitude & take time "outs" and use all your
senses to soak up all the atmospheres so you can let the disney
details "hit" you. not only make it worth the prices, but
will simply makes one "feel" the most magical place to be
on christmas morning~ i still feel " warm & fuzzy" allo'ver!

what a response without a few rules to make your dreams come
true?!~ ,

...play nice. wear your family colors that best express your disney
feelings but because it is so crowded....make comfort a priority
so you can endure the grind. and be flexible even to a fault...,

( we went shopping @ the outlet mall ..where my wife found these
tees with a mouse trying on mickey's outfit. i thought they were
"goofy" but i was out voted. they were a big hit especially with the
cast members....so what did i do? i took the credit!

ok? disney is well aware of the large crowds. and they want to meet
everyone expectations for creating special memories. what we
discovered, they do extra, unplanned ...events. from meets &
greets, to free gifts , & traditional christmas cheers. pay attention
and be ready for tink as she will be all over the place.

really!!!

if i told all the things we were "gifted", would take too many pages.

christmas is the most wonderful time of the year,& disney's
wdw is the happiest place on earth....& put together is the
stuff dreams are made from, ! ones that you will
want to remember.

the only 2 don't....using force like demanding & arguing take away
time that could lead to un- discovery's moments & don't stress
when things go in a direction that original was not desire. secondly,
rushing the day where things are missed or overlooked. be kind,
including toward yourself---there are many ways to take breaks from
the action.

no matter what, i hope you & your family enjoy the season &
the disney's !
Old 12-03-2012, 01:54 AM   #101
JLS
Avs Fan / DVC Member

checked back tonight to see that this thread had become more of a debate. To me the analogy is people who say "never again" to going in mid-summer because of various reasons including the heat, the crowds, Brazilian tour groups, or any number of other reasons. Plenty of other people go that time of year and love it. Your enjoyment of your trip will in large part be based on your ATTITUDE. If you go in thinking about how you are getting ripped off because hotels and food are more expensive and you cannot ride everything you want when you want to because of huge crowds then you will end up a "never again" person relating to a Christmas/NY trip. But I can personally attest that if you go with the attitude that you are excited to celebrate the holidays there with the people you love, and you get up early and enjoy the experience every morning, make careful use of FP, and just allow a little bit of extra time to see things, you will be completely fine. We had one of our best days ever at the MK last year on 12/30, a day that the park was closed to capacity by 11:00 a.m. We were there at opening and did a ton in the first couple of hours. The rest of the day was shows, parade, eating and just enjoying the time.
January 2014: Disney Fantasy Western[/FONT]
July 2013: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower RCCL Allure of the Seas cruise
December 2012: Christmas at WDW (stayed with Auntie) [/FONT]
July 2012: Vero Beach, Bay Lake Tower and Beach Club Villas
December 2011: Christmas at Bonnet Creek Resort and first family cruise on the Carnival Dream!
July 2011: Beach Club Villas and Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas (Cameron's first trip)
June 2009: Beach Club Villas
June 2008: Beach Club Villas
January 2007: Hilton Grand Vacation Club International Drive
May 2006: Vero Beach Resort, Beach Club Villas (Adrian's first trip)
May 2004: Beach Club Villas
May 2003: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Wilderness Lodge Villas
May 2002: Boardwalk Villas
December 2000: Beach Club Resort
July 2000: Wilderness Lodge
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 AM   #102
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS
checked back tonight to see that this thread had become more of a debate. To me the analogy is people who say "never again" to going in mid-summer because of various reasons including the heat, the crowds, Brazilian tour groups, or any number of other reasons. Plenty of other people go that time oft year and love it. Your enjoyment of your trip will in large part be based on your ATTITUDE. If you go in thinking about how you are getting ripped off because hotels and food are more expensive and you cannot ride everything you want when you want to because of huge crowds then you will end up a "never again" person relating to a Christmas/NY trip. But I can personally attest that if you go with the attitude that you are excited to celebrate the holidays there with the people you love, and you get up early and enjoy the experience every morning, make careful use of FP, and just allow a little bit of extra time to see things, you will be completely fine. We had one of our best days ever at the MK last year on 12/30, a day that the park was closed to capacity by 11:00 a.m. We were there at opening and did a ton in the first couple of hours. The rest of the day was shows, parade, eating and just enjoying the time.
I love this!! So many people are so negative about this time of year, so much so that it has me very nervous.... we are going for our first time the week between Christmas and New years. However, although I understand the madness we are getting into, I still rather be at a super busy Disney than at home. . Like you say, it is all about attitude and we are prepared for rude people, long lines etc. But it also is a once in a lifetime magical trip for our family. Unlike many of the people on here, we can not go 2 times a year or once a year or even once every 5 years so I want this to be about the experience and beauty of doing something awesome with my family. We have been planning this trip for a year now and it is a surprise for our 4 children. Thanks for the positive and encouraging post.... lol you would think if it was as bad as so many people say and all the "never again" folks that the parks would be empty. Lol.
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:30 AM   #103
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendimn

LOL..I guess it is just how you look at it. I don't know how anyone can have a dreadful time in WDW...I really don't care how crowded it is..we are going to make the best of it
You rock! My family of 7 (me, hubby, 4 kids and my mom) will be right there with you having a blast in the middle of the madness!!
Old 12-03-2012, 02:45 AM   #104
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb
lvcourtneyy-IF you read my statement, I did not declare that it would be a miserable experience for everyone. I said the experience seems like it would miserable TO ME. I know some people don't feel this way, or else there wouldn't be hundred of thousand of people there. I also understand that some people can't go any other week. I just don't understand how "informed" people could go this week when the prices are raised, everything is mobbed and it would hard to see the rides/shows since the waits are astronomical. The part I don't get is, how do people spend thousands of dollars for this type of experience?
For me, it is my "dream" to give my children Disney World for Christmas! So, that is what I did...its not about the money or the schedule... I could go during a different time of the year no problem and yes it would cost less and have fewer people but just as others have said it is about the experience! I want to wake up Christmas morning and surprise my beautiful children with a Disney trip and not make them wait...I want to leave the next day, as I know they will too. Lol. For me I feel life is too short, I almost died from a rare disease this past summer and I was reminded just how short life really is. So yes, Disney at Christmas may not be for everyone, but I am "informed" and can't wait!!!
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 AM   #105
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlilly79 View Post
I love this!! So many people are so negative about this time of year, so much so that it has me very nervous.... we are going for our first time the week between Christmas and New years. However, although I understand the madness we are getting into, I still rather be at a super busy Disney than at home. . Like you say, it is all about attitude and we are prepared for rude people, long lines etc. But it also is a once in a lifetime magical trip for our family. Unlike many of the people on here, we can not go 2 times a year or once a year or even once every 5 years so I want this to be about the experience and beauty of doing something awesome with my family. We have been planning this trip for a year now and it is a surprise for our 4 children. Thanks for the positive and encouraging post.... lol you would think if it was as bad as so many people say and all the "never again" folks that the parks would be empty. Lol.
Honestly, you won't/can't understand it until you experience it.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: