Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #76
Wendimn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb View Post
I also see people say, they just go to the parks and some even don't ride the rides. I would have a problem spending almost $300 for a pass for the week and not be able to barely get on any rides. I seriously think disney should discount tickets for this week because people are paying soooo much money and aren't even able to barely ride the rides. I know people go voluntarily but it just doesn't seem fare to charge those prices when people are getting "so much less" of their dollar.
Who is barely riding any rides?? I will be there during the busiest time of year and plan to ride everything we want to ride.
Wendimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 AM   #77
Wendimn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzz1fan View Post
Is it expected to be crowded jan 3-5? I know many kids around here are back at school then.
Thanks!!!!
I think it will be crowded but not as bad. I know my kids are back in school then.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #78
shalom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand when people say to go to experience it. Experience what?
Experience the energy, is my guess. One person's "so much noise and crowds it gives me a headache" is another person's version of "exciting and fun." It's a ton of stimulation, combined with the energy of a crowd, and some people are really into that.

Others may not enjoy the experience as much, but still like to be able to say they've done it -- saying you've done WDW in Christmas season when the park was closed is the theme park version of saying you've survived Everest.
shalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:14 AM   #79
JUJU814
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shir Kahn View Post
Just an update to this thread: We booked yesterday, checking in Dec 28th and out on Jan 4th! No matter how crowded it is, we're going to have fun!
I just booked these same exact dates yesterday. I'm a little nervous reading this thread, but I KNEW when I booked it was the craziest time of year. I'm working hard mentally to psyche myself up to "enjoy the experience and not stress".

Of course, I make it a personal challenge to get good ADRs etc but I have to realize the early bird gets the worm and just suck it up and have fun with my family.

I suppose an Ativan a day might help too?
JUJU814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #80
Wendimn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUJU814 View Post

I just booked these same exact dates yesterday. I'm a little nervous reading this thread, but I KNEW when I booked it was the craziest time of year. I'm working hard mentally to psyche myself up to "enjoy the experience and not stress".

Of course, I make it a personal challenge to get good ADRs etc but I have to realize the early bird gets the worm and just suck it up and have fun with my family.

I suppose an Ativan a day might help too?
We will be there Dec 20th-30th. These threads make me nervous too but many others have told me that as long as you have a plan and show up early..it is fine.
Old 12-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #81
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't understand when people say to go to experience it. Experience what? Mobs of people everywhere, long lines for rides, restaurants, transportation etc. Is disney that much different between Christmas and NYE? If people want to see the decorations, they can go in Nov. or early Dec. Just don't understand when people say the "experience" is something to see. The "experience" sounds miserable to me.
Every person/family is completely different in what they enjoy. For you, if the experience seems miserable, then that's your opinion and you don't have to go that week.

My opinion is probably similar to that of many who choose to go the week between Christmas and NYE and that is that the idea of being in WDW on Christmas or NYE is simply magical. What separates me from those who go this week is, I know I have a low crowd tolerance. Therefore I choose to go in January and enjoy pictures from those who enjoy braving the crowds and celebrating Christmas in the world.

While I think we can all offer our opinions of the crowds and the experience, each of us will inevitably have our own feelings on the matter and it's just too much of a blanket statement to declare the experience miserable for everyone.

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
lvcourtneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:12 PM   #82
kandb
DIS Veteran

lvcourtneyy-IF you read my statement, I did not declare that it would be a miserable experience for everyone. I said the experience seems like it would miserable TO ME. I know some people don't feel this way, or else there wouldn't be hundred of thousand of people there. I also understand that some people can't go any other week. I just don't understand how "informed" people could go this week when the prices are raised, everything is mobbed and it would hard to see the rides/shows since the waits are astronomical. The part I don't get is, how do people spend thousands of dollars for this type of experience?
kandb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #83
MouseEarsForAll
Oh snap! I get to hold the trophy?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shalom

Experience the energy, is my guess. One person's "so much noise and crowds it gives me a headache" is another person's version of "exciting and fun." It's a ton of stimulation, combined with the energy of a crowd, and some people are really into that.

Others may not enjoy the experience as much, but still like to be able to say they've done it -- saying you've done WDW in Christmas season when the park was closed is the theme park version of saying you've survived Everest.
First paragraph just described me to a T. Love that atmosphere. Then my family is "headaches and noise."

Walt Disney World - 2004

Walt Disney World - 2005

Disclaimer: Now, you tell me McD's is coming back, I'm a passionate "Uh, yeah!"

MouseEarsForAll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:08 PM   #84
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
lvcourtneyy-IF you read my statement, I did not declare that it would be a miserable experience for everyone. I said the experience seems like it would miserable TO ME. I know some people don't feel this way, or else there wouldn't be hundred of thousand of people there. I also understand that some people can't go any other week. I just don't understand how "informed" people could go this week when the prices are raised, everything is mobbed and it would hard to see the rides/shows since the waits are astronomical. The part I don't get is, how do people spend thousands of dollars for this type of experience?
My wife works for one of the school divisions here, so we're pretty limited to when we can go. However, that's not really a problem this time, as we've always wanted to be at WDW during NYE. We're trying to experience all the key times at WDW, such as Halloween, Star Wars Weekend, Food and Wine, etc. We've crossed most of these off our list so far and here goes another one, so I'm pretty excited about that, and I'm sure DW will be too once she finds out she's going to WDW in a few weeks! Actually, she'll probably more likely find out she's going to WDW a day before we leave, as we're leaving on the 26th.
Old 12-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #85
johde
DIS Veteran

The craziest day I've every been there was Dec 21st. The parks didn't close and I was able to park hop from DS to MK. But by mid afternoon lines were crazy. The Mountains all showed 2+ hour waits but the one that got me was the 20 min. wait for TTA. You want to talk about a ride that almost always a walk on. It was the first day the Christmas parade was showing during the day and people were lined up 8-10+ people deep in Fronteirland. That being said, it was very much a very weird. At the last minute, Disney decided to extend park hours till 1:00 a.m. After the fireworks, everyone went home, they had had enough. It felt like I almost had the park to myself. The second light parade played to a half empty Fronteirland. I walked on to PP, SM, BTMRR etc. I'm going to agree with everyone else. Going into busy season's you need a plan. On that day, I used fast passes during the afternoon as well as went large theater attractions like Tiki Room and Country Bears.

This year I know it's going to be crazier. I arrive Dec 31st at the airport at 4:00 p.m. I'm using DME so I don't need to wait for luggage before going straight to OKW and on to the park. Right now, I'm leaning towards EPCOT but that could change depending on what time I arrive on Disney property and if any parks are closed.

Several Trips off site and at Grandma house going back to 1976
Dec 2002 OKW; Dec 2003 OKW; Sept 2004 BWV&OKW; Dec 2005 OKW Sept 2006 BWV: Sept 2007 BWV & AKV
Dec 2009 AKV & BWV: Sept 2011 VCG and the Disneyland Half Marathon: Jan 2013 OKW and AKV New years at Disney. Jan. 2015 AKV/ Cabana Bay?
johde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #86
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kandb
I did read your statement, hence my response. You're saying you don't understand why people pay so much to go that week and I explained why. People know how it's going to be and that's what they want.

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
lvcourtneyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #87
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

The vast majority who say they're going "for the experience" are locals and annual passholders. These are people who on a regular visit might only set foot on 1 or 2 rides, sometimes even none.

There's a level of schadenfreude there too. It's a people watching spectacle.

Also, you get to see what Epcot was like when it had higher attendance or the rides were new. Riding Universe of Energy with a completely full theater is different than the average day when half the seats are empty. Same goes for a full house at the circlevision films.

Plus, if you're at all interested in how the parks operate, you get to see how they plan for and accommodate the swell of humanity. Seeing the line for Gran Fiesta Tour snake its way through the building and then outside the pyramid becomes a "thing to see" in and of itself.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #88
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

If you don't know what schadenfreude is..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQGQ5qBQTA
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #89
ckdisfan
Earning My Ears

Very crowded and long wait times during the Christmas-New Years time. We went a couple of years but the crowds were to much to take. Shoulder to shoulder walking. Plus, most resorts have peak pricing too.
ckdisfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:37 PM   #90
bugaler
Earning My Ears

Ok you guys are seriously scaring me with this thread! Due to school times and arranging for all family to be able to go we had no choice but to go at this time. We will be in Orlando from December 27-January 3. We will be staying off site. Please tell me there is hope for my kids to see Disney for the first time!
bugaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: