Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 PM   #46
Wendimn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegansmommy View Post
Do you enjoy waiting in line 45 minutes - one hour to USE THE BATHROOM? Yes, that's how crazy it is. Would never do it again. Must say we've been there the week BEFORE Christmas and was amazed at how much calmer it was. The week between Christmas and New Years was dreadful.
LOL..I guess it is just how you look at it. I don't know how anyone can have a dreadful time in WDW...I really don't care how crowded it is..we are going to make the best of it
Wendimn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #47
Shir Kahn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegansmommy View Post
Do you enjoy waiting in line 45 minutes - one hour to USE THE BATHROOM? Yes, that's how crazy it is. Would never do it again. Must say we've been there the week BEFORE Christmas and was amazed at how much calmer it was. The week between Christmas and New Years was dreadful.
Won't bother me any, I can go the whole day without a bathroom break if I have to. DW on the other hand... (she has to beg me to stop somewhere while we're driving to Florida, I'm one of those people that, if I could find a gas tanker truck somewhere that could fuel me up on the go, I'd never stop!)
Register to remove

Old 11-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #48
1stvisit0909
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shir Kahn

Fantastic! Hope you don't mind my elbows!
Nope, as long as you don't mind mine! Though we plan to tour early! I hope to be headed out or just absorbing the sites after the crowds and lines build.

Coronado Springs 2014 PTR
Simply Having a Wonderful Christmas Time TR POFQ 2012 OKW 09
1stvisit0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:00 PM   #49
drp4video
Mouseketeer

It is insane lol. We used to go every year from around December 20th to January 2. The last time we went was 2007 and we actually left MK at 7:30 because the crowds got to us on 12/26. (we had seen Wishes 12/24 while eating dinner at Narcoosees).

That being said, the holiday's are even more magical with the decorations and at Epcot, with the celebrations in each country. Osborne Lights are worth the trip alone though. It will be wall to wall people as said, so I would try to get major attractions done by noon in each park. Just go in with the attitude that it will be crazy, you won't see everything you want to see, people can be cranky and rude at times due to the crowd, and you will be fine. Someday, as my memory fades of how crazy it actually can be, I may go back again at that time, because, after all, it is Disney,
drp4video is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #50
Rememberingthe70s
Old School

It's that crowded.

I did it once that same week, and would never do it again. But, I understand that some folks like having lots of people and excitement around, although its not my personal style. These days there are only a few weeks a year I go (crowd level 1&2 only), but I really believe with good planning you could outwit the crowds during a high attendance time of year.
WDW Commando Club Member #119
36 Years of Vacationing at WDW
Rememberingthe70s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:54 AM   #51
craftymama71
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

Disneyland - October 2008

Disney Sea Tokyo - August 2010

DisneyWorld POFQ - September 2011

Me DH DD 14 Jasper the crazy puppy
craftymama71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:57 AM   #52
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

First off.. someone is going to say "I've never been turned away!"

This is a sign from Epcot from last year:

They mean it. Closed is closed.

Can't goto Magic Kingdom, so wait in line for... Energy..? That's never busy right?

Ok, ok, Nemo is always a walk-on with its huge capacity, right?

It's the middle of the afternoon, the park is crowded and you've ridden nothing.. Spaceship Earth dies down in the afternoon right?

Fine, we'll just go to World Showcase!

Ugh!!! Well I'll just stake out a spot for the fireworks!

Darn it, the close spots are already full and it's still broad daylight.. how about the further away viewing areas? You know, the logical place to view the World Showcase Lagoon Fireworks from all the way back by Mousegear in the middle of Future World!

Well, ok, you can kind of see it from back there...

Well, at least you got to walk around scenic backstage Epcot between Norway (2 hour wait at Maelstrom) and Test Track (3-5 hour wait) because the line for Gran Fiesta was so long it came out of the building at Mexico and blocked the main walkway outside the pyramid.

mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:14 AM   #53
craftymama71
Mouseketeer

Was this during the week between Christmas and New Year?
Or before Christmas?

Disneyland - October 2008

Disney Sea Tokyo - August 2010

DisneyWorld POFQ - September 2011

Me DH DD 14 Jasper the crazy puppy
craftymama71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #54
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

I'm gonna tell you about something so horrific and bone chilling that I have trouble talking about it..

The line for O Canada.. you know, that film with Martin Short that is hidden at the back of the Canada pavilion and hardly anyone goes to see..

It.. has a line!

And not just a line, but a line that goes all of the way up the stairs and into faux-plaza on the second level of the pavilion! I wouldn't beleive it if I hadn't seen it myself - people have to wait all the way up there for O Canada!

Oh the inhumanity!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:39 AM   #55
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Did I mention after the first fireworks until the park closes World Showcase essentially becomes a very large rave / mosh pit?

Italy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mia2OGjYF8I

China:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu6wDMlX0c0

Essentially Italy has a massive laser light show and China has fire effects. Both have music you can hear from across the lagoon (so even dining reservations wont get you a moment of quiet).
Old 11-30-2012, 08:20 AM   #56
disneyfan2kids
DIS Veteran

We went that week...

... back in 2007 (I think). We had a blast, but won't do it anytime again soon (unless we do it acknowledging NO PARKS.)

Imagine this, there was a point in time (walking down mainstreet out of MK at closing time) that I was moving.... but my feet weren't walking. As in...the shoulder to shoulder crowd was single handedly moving me. It was like nothing I've ever seen. Genuinely unsafe at times (IMO.)

disneyfan2kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #57
Wendimn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post

Can't goto Magic Kingdom, so wait in line for... Energy..? That's never busy right?

Ok, ok, Nemo is always a walk-on with its huge capacity, right?

It's the middle of the afternoon, the park is crowded and you've ridden nothing.. Spaceship Earth dies down in the afternoon right?

Fine, we'll just go to World Showcase!

Ugh!!! Well I'll just stake out a spot for the fireworks!

Darn it, the close spots are already full and it's still broad daylight.. how about the further away viewing areas? You know, the logical place to view the World Showcase Lagoon Fireworks from all the way back by Mousegear in the middle of Future World!

Well, ok, you can kind of see it from back there...

Well, at least you got to walk around scenic backstage Epcot between Norway (2 hour wait at Maelstrom) and Test Track (3-5 hour wait) because the line for Gran Fiesta was so long it came out of the building at Mexico and blocked the main walkway outside the pyramid.

Thanks for the pics!! I'm taking my family there this year for Christmas..it is the only time we can go..so it is either go or never go to WDW...hmmmmm
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 AM   #58
rk5798
Mouseketeer

I am guessing those pictures are from NYE?! We have been MANY times the week between Christmas and New Year's, and yes, it is VERY crowded! But with a good plan and realistic expectations, it is very manageable! In fact, last year during the same week we had the best trip ever and I truly believe it was because we went with the idea that it is ok if we don't do everything and refused to get upset even if we missed some of our favorites---and you know what? That attitude made all the difference and it was such a magical trip!!!! As for NYE, we did it once at Epcot and said never again---so we always schedule that as a day off from the parks and just relax and enjoy the day. We make nice dinner reservations at a resort---last year was 1900 Park Fare for our daughters who love Cinderella (and we even got to see a NYE bride and groom taking pictures at the Grand Floridian---very magical!). This year we are eating at O'Hana on NYE and can't wait! We are ready for the crowds and looking forward to another magical Christmas at Disney!
rk5798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:02 AM   #59
Wendimn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk5798 View Post
I am guessing those pictures are from NYE?! We have been MANY times the week between Christmas and New Year's, and yes, it is VERY crowded! But with a good plan and realistic expectations, it is very manageable! In fact, last year during the same week we had the best trip ever and I truly believe it was because we went with the idea that it is ok if we don't do everything and refused to get upset even if we missed some of our favorites---and you know what? That attitude made all the difference and it was such a magical trip!!!! As for NYE, we did it once at Epcot and said never again---so we always schedule that as a day off from the parks and just relax and enjoy the day. We make nice dinner reservations at a resort---last year was 1900 Park Fare for our daughters who love Cinderella (and we even got to see a NYE bride and groom taking pictures at the Grand Floridian---very magical!). This year we are eating at O'Hana on NYE and can't wait! We are ready for the crowds and looking forward to another magical Christmas at Disney!

Soo nice to hear something positive about going at this time of the year
Old 11-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #60
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post

I never said the MK didn't close. It does reach capacity and closes every NYE (and every other day that week). It usually reopens after people leave after the parade.

I'm just sharing my experiences of being in WDW/DL for 12 out of the last 13 NYEs. We always go back to our resort around 2-3 for a rest and a swim (!) because my family cannot commando from rope drop to after midnight. I have seen the NYE fireworks at the DHS once, the MK twice, DL twice and Epcot 7 times. We always return to our park of choice between 5-7 and we have never been refused entry. Oh, and I have never had a crappy view like yours at Epcot and we don't start to look for a place until about 10:30.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: