Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 08:50 PM   #1
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Lumix fz200 or Sony rx100

Hi everyone, I'm heading to Rio for 2 weeks in July, and I'll be staying somewhere where I probably won't feel comfortable leaving my DSLR and all my equipment. I might be literally sleeping on a gym floor or in a church basement, for all I know.When I'm out volunteering, I may need to be carrying my camera with me in a *gasp* fanny pack kind of thing.

Which means, I need to buy a new camera. I need something that I has some manual controls as I can't go from my DSLR (and all my lenses) to something completely point and shoot.

It does not need to be able to fit in my pocket, that's not a big deal, as long as it can fit in something small enough, like a fanny pack that I can carry around my waist.

I was leaning towards the two I already mentioned, the Panasonic Lumix fz200 or the Sony rx100 (mainly due to pictures I've seen here). I like that the Lumix has the constant 2.8 and the big zoom. The Sony has a bigger sensor and more MPs (which is convenient sometimes).

Have any of you used either of these? I know that at least one of you has used the Sony because I've seen some great shots from it!!!

I can't go into a store to play with them either, because I haven't found any for sale around here. I'd have to get them on line.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
DisneyFreak06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Remember, the Sony has a 1.8 lens when wide. It is 2.8 and under, up to about 40mm. It is also a Carl Zeiss lens -- regardless of aperture, I find it far sharper than my dSLR with kit lens. Taking landscapes, I think my Rx100 is actually better than my dSLR with kit lens.

I haven't used the fz100 (or is it 200 now?), but I suspect the rx100 is better in every way except 2:
If you need more overall zoom than 105mm, and if you need large aperture zoom. Those two factors may be very important to you. But if you can live within 105mm (with all those megapixels you can crop to 200mm equivalent or more), and you don't mind going wide for low light, I think you would be very happy with the Sony.

On size, I suspect the Sony will fit much more easily in your fanny pack.

Also in the future, beyond this trip, the size of the Sony may give you more reason to carry it around. While the fz200 isn't really compact enough for a huge advantage over your dSLR.

Anyway, objective comparison :

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasoni...shot-DSC-RX100

Last edited by havoc315; 11-20-2012 at 09:17 PM.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 AM   #3
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Remember, the Sony has a 1.8 lens when wide. It is 2.8 and under, up to about 40mm. It is also a Carl Zeiss lens -- regardless of aperture, I find it far sharper than my dSLR with kit lens. Taking landscapes, I think my Rx100 is actually better than my dSLR with kit lens.

I haven't used the fz100 (or is it 200 now?), but I suspect the rx100 is better in every way except 2:
If you need more overall zoom than 105mm, and if you need large aperture zoom. Those two factors may be very important to you. But if you can live within 105mm (with all those megapixels you can crop to 200mm equivalent or more), and you don't mind going wide for low light, I think you would be very happy with the Sony.

On size, I suspect the Sony will fit much more easily in your fanny pack.

Also in the future, beyond this trip, the size of the Sony may give you more reason to carry it around. While the fz200 isn't really compact enough for a huge advantage over your dSLR.

Anyway, objective comparison :

http://snapsort.com/compare/Panasoni...shot-DSC-RX100
Thanks! I still haven't decided... and who knows what will happen since I can't play with them! That's what bothers me. I'd like to actually look at them in person and play with them.
Tina the F.I. Kindergarten Pop Century (06) Pop Century (07) POFQ (09) All Star Music (09) All Star Movies and Grand Floridian(10) DL HoJo Anaheim (12) Port Orleans Riverside (12) DL Carousel Inn (13) Art of Animation and Pop (13)Sports and POR (14)

My Trip Reports:
Someone left their inside b*** on the toilet (WDW, July/Aug 2014) Dorothy and Blanche: a tale of leftover shoes and lost things! My Club 33 Disneyland trip! July 2013A Blast from the Past (2009!)The trip to make up for the cold (WDW, July 2012) I'm never staying home for March Break again (Disneyland, March 2012) You little sneak, a TR with lies and pictures (WDW, July/Aug 2010)
Old 11-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

dpreview.com just had them both on their list of top 5 point and shoot picks. Go check out their reviews and maybe that will help you decide. Personally, given the reviews in that article I'd give the Canon G15 a good look as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/669...ompact-cameras

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
DisneyFreak06
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by photo_chick View Post
dpreview.com just had them both on their list of top 5 point and shoot picks. Go check out their reviews and maybe that will help you decide. Personally, given the reviews in that article I'd give the Canon G15 a good look as well.

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/669...ompact-cameras
Thanks. I used to have the G11 so I'm very familiar with this line.

My Trip Reports:

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: