Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2012, 08:10 PM   #16
LaurLaur04
Mouseketeer

I have that problem. Extreme abdominal pain then a run to the bathroom. Last trip I missed out on TSM because I got so panicked in the line. We had fast passes but it had been down a few hours so the fp line was longer than the standby! I had to run out of the Disney junior show once too. Its so embarrassing. My fear is being on a ride like pirates where once you get in that boat that's it! The meds I'm on now do not help the pain at all so i still feel like I'm going to have an accident but i actually don't even need to go half the time, the med is only doing half is job apparently! The anxiety is the worst. I went to see wreck it Ralph tonight with my daughter and we had to get up three times to go to the restroom! I felt like a horrible parent!

My divorce is NOT the end...it is the BEGINNING!

My September 2010 TR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38382769
LaurLaur04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #17
Ali
DIS Veteran

If it makes you feel more comfortable to carry extra clothes with you just in case then do it.
Ali is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-21-2012, 08:57 PM   #18
Golden Rose
Princess by Choice

I have IBS, too and have had it for more than half my life. I, too, rely heavily on Immodium. I have to eat early in the morning, preferably in the room, and then, well, wait a bit in the room until I feel like I am able to head out. We never can make it for rope drop, we don't even try. We just plan to have relaxing mornings in the room, and head to the parks when I am able. We never schedule ADRs before 11:30, and we sometimes scramble to make them.

I've lost half days and close to whole days on vacation, miserable and in pain in the bathroom, although not in several years. I used to stress about it. Now we own DVC and get annual passes most years, and it lets me relax because I know there will be other trips, and if we only can make it into the parks for a few hours, it's really ok.

For what its worth, I've never not made it to a bathroom in WDW. I've worried about it a little, but they do have a lot of bathrooms, and I've generally been able to get into a stall without much wait.

(me) (DH) (DS 9) (DD 3) (4 cats)
Golden Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:04 PM   #19
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Have you ever talked to your doctor about something like dicyclomine/bentyl? I'm not sure if it's effective in IBS but I have problems since having my gallbladder removed (digestion issues) and the dicyclomine has been a lifesaver for me. It is a muscle relaxer, so it might help.

Could be worth a mention...?
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #20
WDWPooh
Mouseketeer

My IBS got worse after the gallbladder came out. But gallstones are the worst!

I carry a change of clothes soemtiems. As I explain it to my husband, its not a 'gonna have to go' its 'go now' lol.
I once had to run out of Monsters Inc. Thank god I wasnt the one on camera LOL!!!
Dont feel like a horrible parent LaurLaur04!! Kids understand.
Anxiety is the worst... I tried anxiety meds, but exp side effects. I get stressed out as to where bathrooms are everywhere I go... hate that.
WDWPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 PM   #21
smw
Mouseketeer

i used to date a girl with ibs. she drank sodas constantly, and when i finally got her to give them up completely and drink more water she said her ibs was no longer much of an issue.

worth a shot for two reasons. 1, sodas contribute to dehydration, which can affect ibs... and 2, sodas are, well, just completely terrible for you anyway.
smw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #22
LaurLaur04
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the great suggestions! I do have some Bentyl but I'm unsure if it does any good. I had my gall bladder out as well and that's when it all started. I've had every test imaginable and there is nothing there so it makes me feel like its all in my head. My dad has the same issues but he handles it a lot better. He sat out with me during shows that my mom took my daughter to see last trip. I'm glad they came with us or it would have been miserable! I used imodium last time and it worked great for the first few days but then stopped. I wish digestive issues didn't have such a stigma attached to them. Has anyone done a tour with it? I would like to do one but don't want to hold everyone up with trips to the potty! I've been eyeing the family magic tour.

My divorce is NOT the end...it is the BEGINNING!

My September 2010 TR!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....1#post38382769
LaurLaur04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 05:44 AM   #23
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurLaur04 View Post
Thanks for all the great suggestions! I do have some Bentyl but I'm unsure if it does any good. I had my gall bladder out as well and that's when it all started. I've had every test imaginable and there is nothing there so it makes me feel like its all in my head. My dad has the same issues but he handles it a lot better. He sat out with me during shows that my mom took my daughter to see last trip. I'm glad they came with us or it would have been miserable! I used imodium last time and it worked great for the first few days but then stopped. I wish digestive issues didn't have such a stigma attached to them. Has anyone done a tour with it? I would like to do one but don't want to hold everyone up with trips to the potty! I've been eyeing the family magic tour.
Without a gallbladder, your body has no place to store bile, so you really have to limit the fat intake, which is very hard on vacation, I know. Someone on the dis also mentioned her doctor told her to avoid gluten. I had my gallbladder out a few years ago, and sometimes I have to eat saltines and sip a diet cola to get things regulated. I've also found that altoids, gas-x and hot tea help settle things down and remove a lot of the pain.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:00 AM   #24
ZehnJahren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't know anything about you, but I want to throw this out there - I was overweight when I had the most issues. I lost about 15 lbs and EVERYTHING changed (I was only about 3 lbs overweight). I changed my diet to an all-natural, no processed, low sodium, low sugar, no white carbs (read: bread) diet and that made a HUGE HUGE difference. I don't eat fast food at all, I pre-cook all my meals now and take food to work instead of eating out of the cafeteria. I run 4-5 times per week and also do weight lifting. As long as I keep it up, I feel great. As soon as I deviate, I notice a major change in how I digest and how my stomach feels. It's 10,000% worth it to me to live a normal life and not be freaked out about stomach pain and bad discomfort constantly. The pain used to be many, many times per day - now, it happens only about once a week, if that, and only when I'm eating "dirty".

If you aren't "average weight," changing your diet and loosing some weight could make a difference. Along with the bentyl, I am almost 100% and notice a BIG BIG difference. I would suggest it to anyone; my last trip at Disney was so wonderful and I attribute it to the diet, exercise, and bentyl.
ZehnJahren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 02:19 AM   #25
lilsk8nmac
Sweet Cream Cheese pretzel addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWPooh View Post
I carry tons of Pepto tabs and Immodium. I too find its not as bad at Disney. But its still a joke as to 'how long before mom is headed to the restroom' lol. I was diagosed as IBS... but now I get unbelievable pain under my left rib when I eat. So, I started taking fiber capsules. That seems to actualy help. So starting to get those into your regular diet would be good. I have found my digestive problems have improved alot since taking the fiber supplement.
Ugh... dont I get the digestion problems.. no fun. Good luck OP!
Anyone have any idea if the excruciating pain under the rib could be the start of chrohns or collitis? My dad had ulcerative collitis too..not sure if its heretitary or not. Terrible pain then hour in the bathroom.. no fun. Thank god the fiber helps. Hoping it will help at WDW.
It could be. I would see a GI doctor and see where they want to go with possible testing, etc. I have UC. They thought it was IBS 15 years ago. I also get the pain under the left rib after I eat. Look up Splenic flexure syndrome. It can be linked to IBS and cause that problem. I know that I have that as well. Good luck!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:48 AM   #26
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZehnJahren View Post
I run 4-5 times per week and also do weight lifting. As long as I keep it up, I feel great. As soon as I deviate, I notice a major change in how I digest and how my stomach feels.
Yeah, I need about 3 hours of active motion (walking, martial arts, bicycling, strength work, etc) per day to feel my best. It doesn't need to be very intense, but it needs to be pretty high volume.

The diet I need is different from yours, but finding one that works was amazingly helpful. My flares are nowhere near as bad as they were, and I can manage them with a "flare diet" instead of medication. I went from enough pain to be on narcotics every day to no narcotics for months with a combination of diet and activity.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:15 AM   #27
DisneyLandMan
Mouseketeer

It's crazy to see how many people actually suffer the same as I do. One MAJOR positive is that Disney has bathrooms EVERYWHERE! I don't think you are ever more than a 2 minute walk from a bathroom. I have a nervous stomach too, so whenever i am in a spot where I know I can't go, you guessed it......that is when I have to go. Haha. My advice, as others have said, light breakfasts, lot of water, Imodium and try to "keep the tanks empty" before you head out in the morning.
Old 11-23-2012, 11:18 AM   #28
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've had Crohn's Disease for the past 18 years and bentyl has been a great help. I take one about 30 minutes before I eat a meal and it helps keep my system from spasming right after I eat. It becomes a less immediate need to go after every meal.

I would also say if you go to Disney during a full blown flare, head to guest relations and get a GAC (guest assistance card) with your bathroom issues listed, that way you could leave the queue and meet back up with your group after you're done in the bathroom.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:29 PM   #29
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
I've had Crohn's Disease for the past 18 years and bentyl has been a great help. I take one about 30 minutes before I eat a meal and it helps keep my system from spasming right after I eat. It becomes a less immediate need to go after every meal.

I would also say if you go to Disney during a full blown flare, head to guest relations and get a GAC (guest assistance card) with your bathroom issues listed, that way you could leave the queue and meet back up with your group after you're done in the bathroom.
I do not believe that there is a GAC stamp to allow someone to leave a queue and return to it after an extended period of time - getting past all the other guests in line would involve a lot of moving between people, and the rest of the party could already be loaded onto the attraction vehicle by the time it takes to get out of the queue, go to the restroom, wait for a stall, use it, wash, and return to the queue.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: