|11-23-2012, 12:35 PM||#1|
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Looking for Suggestions for Mommy & Son Trip
Our family trip has been derailed by DH's new job. Luckily, we have changed some things around and we will still be coming down for a couple of days together. He will be flying back and my seven year old son and I will be on our own for three days. Any suggestions for fun or special things to do for just the two of us? I am kind of looking forward to it being "just us" for a few days.
04/1979 Off site
04/2008 POR (Mansions)
01/2010 FW Campground (Cabins)
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
02/2014 POR (AB) PHM!
|11-23-2012, 02:19 PM||#2|
Join Date: Mar 2004
Oh what fun! My son is twice the age of yours (14) but we just got back from a 2-week "Mother-Son" trip.
A few things I learned on our trip:
- I let him call the shots a lot of the time. He's not really big into the shows. When my daughter comes with, we did a lot more shows, but this time it was just "Indiana Jones" and "Lights, Motors, Action."
- A typical boy, he wanted to do the thrill rides again and again. So we did!
- I let him have a say in where we ate. He really liked the Sci Fi drive-in restaurant, so we ate there. And just stopping for a treat or snack whenever was a lot of fun.
- Even though my son likes to "go, go, go,"...I could tell when he needed a break. Sometimes we'd just ride the TTA a few times with a cold soda and relax, or grab something from the bakery in France and eat it in the quiet area back in England, etc. Just some quiet breaks mixed in. He would never suggest he needed it, but I could tell, so I would tell him "I" needed the break.
- On past trips we did the Behind the Seeds tour, horseback riding, etc. On this trip, one of his favorite things we did on a pretty long day at Epcot was head over to Fort Wilderness for dinner at Trail's End buffet. We walked around the quiet campground a bit, saw the horses in the horse barn, ate dinner...very relaxing...then took the boat ride back to the Magic Kingdom all energized and did some stuff over there during the evening/night hours until park close.
I think you'll have a wonderful time just having this 'one-on-one' time together. My son is the youngest of 5, so just having my attention all that time was a special thing.
Enjoy your trip!!!
“Don’t worry…October isn’t hot or crowded” Mother-Son October 2012 trip report
“Frosty Gets Caught Picking His Nose” November 2011 trip report
"It's All in the Details" January 2010 trip report
"You've got to be kidding! -38 degrees again? Goodbye Alaska - Hello Disney!" January 2009 trip report
"Holy heatwave, Batman! Mom+5 kids do Disney" January 2007 trip report
|Display Modes||Rate This Thread|