Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
disneydreamkate
DIS Veteran

Looking for Suggestions for Mommy & Son Trip

Our family trip has been derailed by DH's new job. Luckily, we have changed some things around and we will still be coming down for a couple of days together. He will be flying back and my seven year old son and I will be on our own for three days. Any suggestions for fun or special things to do for just the two of us? I am kind of looking forward to it being "just us" for a few days.
01/2011 AKL
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
01/2013 AKL
02/2014 POR (AB) PHM!
disneydreamkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
blestmom
DIS Veteran

Oh what fun! My son is twice the age of yours (14) but we just got back from a 2-week "Mother-Son" trip.

A few things I learned on our trip:

- I let him call the shots a lot of the time. He's not really big into the shows. When my daughter comes with, we did a lot more shows, but this time it was just "Indiana Jones" and "Lights, Motors, Action."

- A typical boy, he wanted to do the thrill rides again and again. So we did!

- I let him have a say in where we ate. He really liked the Sci Fi drive-in restaurant, so we ate there. And just stopping for a treat or snack whenever was a lot of fun.

- Even though my son likes to "go, go, go,"...I could tell when he needed a break. Sometimes we'd just ride the TTA a few times with a cold soda and relax, or grab something from the bakery in France and eat it in the quiet area back in England, etc. Just some quiet breaks mixed in. He would never suggest he needed it, but I could tell, so I would tell him "I" needed the break.

- On past trips we did the Behind the Seeds tour, horseback riding, etc. On this trip, one of his favorite things we did on a pretty long day at Epcot was head over to Fort Wilderness for dinner at Trail's End buffet. We walked around the quiet campground a bit, saw the horses in the horse barn, ate dinner...very relaxing...then took the boat ride back to the Magic Kingdom all energized and did some stuff over there during the evening/night hours until park close.

I think you'll have a wonderful time just having this 'one-on-one' time together. My son is the youngest of 5, so just having my attention all that time was a special thing.

Enjoy your trip!!!
blestmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: