Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
toughmudder
Mouseketeer

Palo question from a first-timer

Howdy all. So I'm 75 days out from our Feb 3, 4-night cruise on the Dream. I have a few questions regarding Palo, for all you experts out there:

1. Is it worth it, and would you do brunch or dinner?
2. I'm thinking of doing this on the 4th night - will we have been to all three restaurants at least once, or is it completely random? (as far as which night is your "extra" restaurant night?)
3. Is there a place on disneycruise.com that tells you in advance what your dinner location rotation is?
4. What time are the evening shows, typically, and is there more than one show a night?
5. On the night that you have your Palo ressie, do you accompany your kids to dinner, but just not eat with them... or can they eat through the Kid's Club?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide. I'm sure if I did some digging, I'd find an answer to all these... but these message boards have been so dang awesome, I'm asking them all at once!
toughmudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
cypressmom
Love my Disney vacations!

We did both and I preferred brunch over dinner. I'm sure someone else will say that they like dinner better than brunch.

Disney World, 1986,1995, 2011 & 2014
Disneyland, 2001, 2007, 2010, 2011 & 2013
Disney Cruise Line, 2012 & 2014
cypressmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-20-2012, 06:44 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by toughmudder View Post
Howdy all. So I'm 75 days out from our Feb 3, 4-night cruise on the Dream. I have a few questions regarding Palo, for all you experts out there:

1. Is it worth it, and would you do brunch or dinner?
2. I'm thinking of doing this on the 4th night - will we have been to all three restaurants at least once, or is it completely random? (as far as which night is your "extra" restaurant night?)
3. Is there a place on disneycruise.com that tells you in advance what your dinner location rotation is?
4. What time are the evening shows, typically, and is there more than one show a night?
5. On the night that you have your Palo ressie, do you accompany your kids to dinner, but just not eat with them... or can they eat through the Kid's Club?

Thanks so much in advance for any help you can provide. I'm sure if I did some digging, I'd find an answer to all these... but these message boards have been so dang awesome, I'm asking them all at once!

1. Personally, I prefer brunch to dinner. Although the chocolate souffle is wonderful!

3. No. You won't know your rotation until you check in at the port.

4. The shows are roughly the same time as the dinner seatings. Early dinner seating goes to the show afterward. Late dinner seating goes to the show before.

5. You can take your kids to the MDR for their regular dinner seating, if you wish. Or you can feed them from the quick serve locations and then send them to the club. It's my understanding, if there is food in the clubs, it's generally just a sandwich and chips (along that line).

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

5. You have many options. You can take your children to the dining room but not eat. You can order room service for them. You can feed them on the pool deck. You can place them in the programming--but be sure they are there at the dinner time (not necessarily the same as your dining room time). If they are old enough, they can go to the dining room on their own.

4. There are 2 shows each night--one during main dinner and one during late. You go to the show when you are not eating dinner.

3. You will learn your dining rotation when you check in at the terminal and see it on your KTTW card. It isn't assigned till about 2 weeks before the cruise.

2. You can call DCL and find the scheduled rotation of dining rooms for your cruise. You may repeat the 3rd and 4th night or the 2nd and 3rd. As in 1-2-2-3 or 1-2-3-3. You WILL miss something in the dining room if you go to Palo. You will either miss a signature menu or the pirate night menu.

1. Worth it is a personal thing--it depends on your finances, values. etc. Palo is a very nice, fine dining restaurant, on the same level as the signature restaurants at WDW (the ones that take 2 dining credits). Remy is rather the top of the heap. I took MANY DCL cruises before I ever went to Palo, but that was based on our decision that dinner is a family event and we ate together. Thus, until my daughter was 18, we did not book Palo (and then she celebrated her 18th birthday there!). But that was our choice. Others would find a night of dining without the kids to be "priceless."
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 07:25 PM   #5
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

We were one of those couple that preferred dinner over brunch. I don't eat seafood or fish and those seemed to be the popular stations at brunch. We chose to order room service for the kids to eat while we got ready. Worked out great! Then we dropped them off at the club. The food served in the club is low quality and quantity! Our kids ate lunch in the club while we were at brunch and we ended up having to take them to topsiders to get a "real" lunch after! We have 6 kids so $40 for a dinner or brunch alone while the kids were having a great time in the club was priceless!!!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #6
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've done both and love both. I'd be hard pressed to decide one or the other. They really are two different dining experiences.

OK, so that probably doesn't help the OP decide.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

I preferred brunch over dinner. There were more food options and I loved getting a small taste of everything. Also, the pizza was phenomenal and my favorite thing there. They don't serve the pizza at dinner anymore.

When I had dinner, I ordered room service for my son and then took him to the club. He never eats the food in the club and says he doesn't like it. So if I'm going to do Palo and miss a meal with him I make sure I fed him first.

I felt both brunch and dinner were very worth it. I will do both again.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
We've done both and love both. I'd be hard pressed to decide one or the other. They really are two different dining experiences.
We agree with the above:

On a 7 day cruise, we do both (along with a Remy dinner). However on a 4 day, due to lack of time, we always hit the brunch on the Sea Day (always a winner )...
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #9
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Brunch is offered only on at-sea days, so your chances of getting brunch aren't as great as they would be on a longer cruise. You'll have better luck with online dinner reservations. If both options are full, try again as soon as you board the ship. Ask a crew member where to go to do that.

Actually, if all ressies for Palo are taken, you could try Remy. Even higher priced, but yes, it's that much better.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #10
Gatrcruzer
Mouseketeer

I think that the Pirate menu tends to be one of the weaker menu nights, and whatever restaurant you eat in for Pirate night you will eat at a second time with their regular menu, so that is a good night to skip if you are going to do the dinner route. Just be aware that brunch might be offered the same or next day (Pirate day is usually day 3 on a 4 night), so could be a lot of good food in a short time frame if you do both Check online to see which night will be pirate night for you, and also when your sea day will be. We did Remy lunch and loved it, but we like that type of dining.
Gatrcruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #11
kristinfly2
Mouseketeer

I know a lot of people think the menu isn't good on pirate night but the beef short ribs we had that night were the best I have ever had! They were even better than mine! . They were so good out server brought us two helpings each!
kristinfly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristinfly2 View Post
I know a lot of people think the menu isn't good on pirate night but the beef short ribs we had that night were the best I have ever had! They were even better than mine! . They were so good out server brought us two helpings each!
I'm one of the few who also like the Pirate menu. Personally, I don't care for the Captain's Gala menu. I usually just wind up ordering the generic baked chicken and potato.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:50 PM   #13
rosermama
DIS Veteran

I like both but DH doesn't care for brunch. Personally I would do it early on pirate night. It is a repeat restaurant and the show is at night on deck with the fireworks.

My daughter likes the nights we go to Palo because its her free night. She eats up on deck and then gets to be in the kids club all night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
rosermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 03:52 PM   #14
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosermama
I like both but DH doesn't care for brunch. Personally I would do it early on pirate night. It is a repeat restaurant and the show is at night on deck with the fireworks.

My daughter likes the nights we go to Palo because its her free night. She eats up on deck and then gets to be in the kids club all night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Galaxy Note using DISBoards
Is pirate night always a repeat for everyone?
Old 11-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #15
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Is pirate night always a repeat for everyone?
Except a 2-day cruise to nowhere, or a 3-day. On longer cruises you have a chance to go to all three MDR's with day(s) leftover.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: