Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #91
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by npealer View Post
I've read sooo many books over the last few years I forget sometimes some of my favorites. As I was reading thru the post again I remembered a book that I loved and Highly recommend.

The Woods by Harlan Coben

Also I love Ken Follett as an Author. I read the whole Pillar series and loved it.
I love Harlan Coben and have read all of his books.

I read The Pillars of the Earth and World Without End by Ken Follet and I loved them. I plan to reread them at some point. I did not enjoy his newest series though. I started the first one and have never finished it. I haven't read any of his other books either but I'd like to try them.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #92
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

I am in the middle of several books, right now.

Team of Rivals - LOVE IT!!! I can't wait to see "Lincoln" now!

The Story of Edgar Sawtelle - Also love! Need to get it finished!

The Christmas Candle - Written by Max Lucado. It's great for getting into the Christmas spirit!

I would love to be part of a 2013 book challenge!!! I'll keep checking back for more titles, and for details!!!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-27-2012, 04:28 PM   #93
Soldier's*Sweeties
I WILL walk three miles in the snow, uphill, barefoot for a Pumpkin Spice Latte
I'll take the Palmettos

I started reading a travel memoir called "Travel, Sex, and Train Wrecks". It's a "low budget"(if there IS such thing when it comes to books) book about a woman traveling Asia by alone after a divorce.

It's definitely not a fine piece of literature and while there is SOME soul searching, you definitely aren't going to unlock the secrets of the universe while reading it.

I am enjoying reading her crazy stories and the people she meets and countries she visits though. It's pretty cheap if not free for the Kindle.
Bonus book #26- Parasite(Parasitology #1) Mira Grant
2014 Reading Challenge: 35 Books
#1-Bad Monkey Carl Hiaasen, #2- Undead and Unwed MaryJanice Davidson, #3- New Year Island Paul Draker, #4- Belle de Jour: Diary of an Unlikely Call Girl Anonymous, #5-Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers Mary Roach,
#6- Undead and Unemployed MaryJanice Davidson, #7- Infected Scott Sigler, #8- Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex Mary Roach, #9- Flesh Worn Stone John Burks, #10- Uganda Be Kidding Me Chelsea Handler,
#11- The Witness Sandra Brown, #12-Midnight Crossroad Charlaine Harris, #13- Under the Dome Stephen King, #14- Monument 14 Emmy Laybourne, #15- Monument 14: Sky on Fire Emmy Laybourne, #16- The Magicians Lev Grossman, #17- The Strain Guillermo Del Toro
Soldier's*Sweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #94
figment814
Mouseketeer

Love the challenge idea!
Previous Trips to WDW: Offsite (1980, 1996, 1997, 2008); SSR (2005, 2008, 2010, 2011); BWV (2009, 2010, 2011,2012); WLV (2010); AKL-Jambo (2011); AKL-Kidani (2011); BLT (2012) Upcoming: 2013 BWV (2) and AKL-Jambo

My WISH Journal
figment814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:28 PM   #95
Glynis

I forgot to mention a book that I finished last week that I got free for my Nook. It was a free Friday selection. "All Roads Lead to Austen." When I first started it, I thought it was going to be another "Austenland", but it was not! Thank heaven!!! I loved it!!! A literature professor took a year away from teaching to travel in South America and see if Austen's books translated well for the Latin American people. Her findings were really fun! I loved this book, as it was part literary, and part travel guide! Anyone who enjoys reading Austen's works would like this book!

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors
Old 11-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #96
AndreaDM
Yeah...we mainly colored that day

I just read The Outpost by Jake Tapper who's a White House corespondent. It's a book about a troop in Afghanistan who was attacked in Oct. 2009 and 8 soldiers were killed. My nephew was one of the ones who was there (and is mentioned in the book quite often), thank God he survived. Not to get political, but the book explains why they should NEVER have been posted there, they served no purpose other than to be a target for the Taliban. Anyway, GREAT book, read it!

I also just started Far From The Tree, it's about raising children who are so different from yourself, also highly recommend it.
AndreaDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #97
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Ugh. When it rains, it pours!

I'm currently still reading The Fiery Cross (Outlander #5) but decided to take a break at page 900 and do a quick read before settling back in for the last 450 pages to finish.

So I started Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (#3) - have always wanted to read the Potter series.

Well..... my library contacted me yesterday. They are holding 3 books for me to pick up this week:

Our Husband (recommended here on the DIS)
Let's Pretend It Never Happened (another DIS recommendation)
The Fault in our Stars (not sure where I got this recommendation, lol)

I don't know what to read!! LOL! So overwhelmed! 5 books at one time will not go over too well, lol.

Why do requested library books ALWAYS come in at same time??!

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee

Currently reading: #29 The Art Forger

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #98
KimR
DIS Veteran
Needs to lay off the Murder Mysteries before Dental Appointments!

I've just started 'Speaks The Nightbird' by Robert McCammon (Swan Song). I'm about 100 pages in and so far I am loving it. He truly brings the time period to life (late 17th century) and I like the fact that even though it is a suspense/thriller novel, he tosses in a bit of humor now and then. Even though I've not really gotten into the meat of the story yet, this could very well turn out to be my favorite book of the year. In the running so far is 'The Forgotten Garden', 'Iron House' and 'Before I Go to Sleep'.

2000 - GF; 2000 - BC; 03 - GF; 04 - YC; 05 - GF; 06, 07 - YC; 08 - GF; 09, 10 - YC; 12 - YC

Just the basics:
Are two-year-olds too young to go to Disney? It depends upon their temperament. One way to find out: take them there. After all, they're only young for a short time. You're sure to enjoy your trip if you plan ahead! AND - don't forget those all-important dining reservations; they fill up so fast it's ridiculous. Have I forgotten anything? Oh yes - I'd advise you to carry a small purse or bag for loose items so you don't lose them on rides. You'll have a great vacation if you follow my advice!
KimR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #99
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Just finished "Murder on the Brain", which I expected to be a cozy mystery but it was more a Stephanie Bond-style romantic comedy. So now I'm reading what really is a cozy mystery, "Dying for a Change". I haven't read much yet, but so far I like it.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:31 PM   #100
dizcrazee
DIS Veteran

I just finished reading "The Little Stranger" by Sarah Waters and I highly recommend it. It's a very well written gothic ghost story set in an English country house in 1949. It is a very unusual, atmospheric story with a clever twist in the conclusion. I keep thinking about it, so that says a lot!

If you decide to read it, be aware that the first 100 pages or so build the theme and develop the characters, so nothing really creepy happens for a while. However, that's fine, because the setting and plot are so intriguing - and there's a big creepy pay-off in the end!

Me DH DD:
dizcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #101
tinkerbellandeeyor
DIS Veteran

I think I will be on my kids books for the next life time catching up on 27 years worth
Old 11-30-2012, 08:32 AM   #102
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by threeboysmom View Post
Ugh. When it rains, it pours!

Well..... my library contacted me yesterday. They are holding 3 books for me to pick up this week:

Our Husband (recommended here on the DIS)
Let's Pretend It Never Happened (another DIS recommendation)
The Fault in our Stars (not sure where I got this recommendation, lol)

I don't know what to read!! LOL! So overwhelmed! 5 books at one time will not go over too well, lol.

Why do requested library books ALWAYS come in at same time??!
Seriously??? After picking up those 3 books at the library last night, I just got another notification that ANOTHER BOOK has come in.

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

I put this one on hold well over a month ago. I've forgotten why I was so excited to read it now, lol.

I now have 6 books to read - no idea which one to read this weekend, lol. Finish the ones I've already started or move onto something new....

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee

Currently reading: #29 The Art Forger

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:38 AM   #103
phorsenuf
Not so New Rule author on the DISSome discuss it calmly and some ...
Grandma Oboe

Location: Concord NH and now Davenport FL. Home to meth addicts and dislocated cowboys I'm told.

I finally started Killing Kennedy. Very interesting read. Just a word of warning though, if you are not into history, or political history, you may not like the book so much. Just like in Killing Lincoln, there is a lot of history, and personal stuff leading up to everything. I myself find it fascinating, and I'm actually learning more about the Bay of pigs and the Cuban Missile Crisis. But I'm kind of geeky that way. All in all though I'm really liking it. Interesting peek behind the scenes of that administration.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:04 AM   #104
Glynis

Just finished Max Lucado's "The Christmas Candle." Very short, fun read. Guaranteed to be perfect for the holiday season!

Now, I've got to finish "Team of Rivals!" I borrowed it from my dad 2 years ago, and I'm pretty embarrassed that I haven't finished it!

Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #105
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneBanks View Post
Right now I'm reading The Clan of the Cave Bear (Earth's Children, Book One) by Jean M. Auel.

I'm really enjoying it!

I would love to join in on a 2013 book challenge!
I loved that book....read it when I was pregnant with my first child in 1984 and then read the whole series as the books came out...just loved it. Thanks for reminding me how great it was. I would read it again but there is just so many out there I want to read for the first time!!!

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

)“DON'T BE SAD IT'S OVER, BE HAPPY IT HAPPENED!!

Last edited by mmouse37; 11-30-2012 at 09:54 AM.
mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: