Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 02:35 PM   #181
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

That's the way I feel about my Nook, too! I found that I was spending money on books that weren't worth my time or money, so I started utilizing my library card again. Books that I check out and love, get purchased on my Nook. My system may not work for everyone, but it works for me!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #182
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by diznee25 View Post
I should really get a library card to check out those books I'm 'iffy' about. I have a Nook, so I've gotten spoiled with wanting to read on that all the time! But we recently moved a few blocks away from a really nice library, and I've been meaning to wander over there. Now it looks like I've got motivation!

diznee25
I rarely spend money on books. I'm just cheap that way!!

I have a library card and I try to find most of what I want to read through the library. It's a bonus when the library has it available for my Kindle. More and more that is happening. If not, I will just check out a hardcover book. Due to my eyesight going (I need reading glasses now), it's not nearly as comfortable for me to read a "real" book, but I still do.

Occasionally I will buy a book if the price is good and I can't get it through the library.

I never read a book twice so I wouldn't buy a book that I read for free at the library.

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 04:53 PM   #183
diznee25
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

I have a library card and I try to find most of what I want to read through the library. It's a bonus when the library has it available for my Kindle. More and more that is happening. If not, I will just check out a hardcover book. Due to my eyesight going (I need reading glasses now), it's not nearly as comfortable for me to read a "real" book, but I still do.

Occasionally I will buy a book if the price is good and I can't get it through the library.

I never read a book twice so I wouldn't buy a book that I read for free at the library.
You may be cheap, but trust me, I am too! Only reason I'm able to buy e-books for my Nook HD is to ask for gift cards all the time. Birthday, Christmas, Valentines Day....any gift giving holiday I'm always asking for a B&N gift card!

Luckily, I always get large $$ amounts so the gift cards last through the year.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:34 PM   #184
Pixiedust34
It's like I'm stuck in a music time warp
Hasn't touched an iron in over 10 yrs!
I love Target! Where else can you buy candy corn 90% off?!
My tags are getting dusty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post

Nearly all of the books I read are from the library, or are on my Kindle. Most of my Kindle books are ones I got for free (I carefully look for good free books every day) or low cost.

I do re-read certain books, but I like to wait 5+ years or so before re-reading a book. Next up on my re-read list is Gabaldon's Outlander series because I want to enjoy the books one more time before I read the next book that'll be published sometime in 2013.

If I bought all of the books I read, I'd be broke and I wouldn't have room for them in my house. The library is one of my favorite places!
Old 12-29-2012, 05:39 PM   #185
Teresa Pitman
DIS Veteran

I use the library heavily but I also buy a lot of books. My house is full of them! I do re-read many/most of them and I also lend them to friends. I just feel happier if I am surrounded by books...

TP
Teresa Pitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:38 AM   #186
Beezle2
DIS Veteran

Hi all

I'm really late to the thread but I have finally found some real time to read again and have been burning through my stack. Have read

The Twelve by Justin Cronin sequel to The Passage

Lord of the Mountain by S.M. Stirling

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

The Worst Hard Time by Timothy Eagan

The Raven Boys by can't remember...Maggie something (?)

I love having so much time to read!! Will be looking over what you all have posted for ideas. My friend loaned me House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, any body read that one?

Beezle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:02 AM   #187
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

I just finished "Sleepless in Savannah" by Rita Heron. It was a little too R rated for my taste, but funny anyways. Now I'm reading "Crazy in Paradise". I'm only about 10% into it, but so far I'm really enjoying it. Next up (I think) will be "Seaview Inn" by Sherryl Woods.
Old 12-31-2012, 07:57 AM   #188
threeboysmom
I REALLY AM a Princess!!!
Hands off the crown! It's not for trade :)

Currently reading Harry Potter & the Goblet of Fire. Just started it 2 days ago and am already halfway through! Which is a good thing since I have WAY too many books on my "to read" list!!

I swear I've never read the Harry Potter series before (except for the first one - I remember reading that one out loud to my boys years ago when it first came out), but every time I pick up one of these books to read, I get the odd sense of deju vu. Something always strikes me as familiar. Here I am on book #4 and I'm still trying to convince myself I've never read this series before, lol.

Books Read: #1 My Year with Eleanor, #2 Trust Your Eyes, #3 Doctor Sleep, #4 Can Man Live Without God, #5 Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, #6 The Woods, #7 When She Woke, #8 The Glass Castle, #9 The Rosie Project, #10 The Husband's Secret, #11 The Cuckoo's Calling, #12 Six Years, #13 Her Mother's Hope, #14 Perfect People, #15 The Last Original Wife,#16 Star Island, #17 Pursuit of Peace, #18 Room, #19 Innocence #20 New Year Island, #21 Me Before You, #22 Unbroken, #23 You Don't Want to Know, #24 Her Daughter's Dream, #25 The Leisure Seeker, #26 Rainshadow Road, #27 The Art of Hearing Heartbeats,#28 Little Bee,#29 The Art Forger, #30 One Plus One, #31 Double Whammy

Currently reading: #32 The Girl You Left Behind

threeboysmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 11:28 AM   #189
diznee25
DIS Veteran

I have to admit that Danielle Steel is one of my 'guilty pleasure' authors. Love her books! I thought I had read most of her older books, but came across one that slipped through the cracks. So I'm reading Now and Forever by Danielle Steel.

It's a pretty good read so far.

diznee25
Old 01-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #190
jenny105
DIS Veteran

I finished A Casual Vacany. What a depressing end!

I'm about to start If I Stay by Gayle Forman. I've been told I'll love it. We'll see!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #191
GingerJay
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle2 View Post
Hi all

I'm really late to the thread but I have finally found some real time to read again and have been burning through my stack. Have read

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

I love having so much time to read!! Will be looking over what you all have posted for ideas. My friend loaned me House of Leaves by Mark Danielewski, any body read that one?

Since you read the sequel to The Passage, I'm assuming you read the first one, too. Was it any good? It seems to be interesting and something I may like but it gets pretty inconsistent reviews. What did you think of it?

February 2008: Contemporary Resort
March 2010: Windsor Hills
GingerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #192
Ginny Favers
I told my husband I think they must put crack in it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezle2 View Post
Hi all

Cold Days by Jim Butcher

Maggie Stiefvater.

Has anyone read HOPELESS by Colleen Hoover? I just mentioned it on the other thread because I loved it and can't get it out of my head.
Ginny Favers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #193
Ennazus8810
Mouseketeer

I have been reading The Black Dagger Brotherhood Series by J.R. Ward. LOVE it. Started on Christmas Eve, and already on book 5. If vampires (fighting ones, not ones that sparkle) are your thing then check them out.

Last Trip-August 2012
Next trip-Oct 2014

Me DH DD(5) DD (4)
Ennazus8810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #194
wvjules
DIS Veteran

I went to see Les Mis last night so I'm not going to finish the book (right now). I will definately finish it later because of the 1/2 of the book I read a lot of it was left out of the movie. I want to see what I missed in the movie from the second half of the book.

Right now I'm reading The Glass Castle and then will read The Fault in Our Stars and then On the Island.
wvjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #195
Glynis
Taking applications for a WDW tour guide!

Currently halfway through "Unbroken". Gotta finish before book club tomorrow night! Then, I need to finish "The Appeal" by John Grisham, and "Team of Rivals". With the kids heading back to school tomorrow, I'm hopeful of more free time for reading. Hoping, hoping!

2014 Reading Challenge Goal: 70 books

The Art of Racing in the Rain ~ The House of Hades ~ How To Be Like Walt ~ Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows ~ The Seven Mouths of God ~ Behind the Beautiful Forevers ~ The Mysterious Affair at Styles ~ The Big 5-Oh ~ A Year in the Life of William Shakespeare ~ Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children ~ Wait Till Next Year ~ While We Were Watching Downton Abbey ~ Great Expectations ~ The Maze Runner ~ The Fault In Our Stars ~ The Juliet Club ~ The Girls' Guide to Love and Supper Clubs ~ The Power of One ~ The Supremes at Earl's All-You-Can-Eat ~ Hollow City ~ The Fountainhead ~ Cat's Cradle ~ Speaking From Among The Bones ~ Death Comes to Pemberley ~ Quilt or Innocence ~ The Chocolate Thief ~ On Strike for Christmas ~ Bikini Season ~ Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker ~ Miss Dreamsville and the Collier County Women's Literary Society ~ Cinnamon Roll Murder ~ Red Velvet Cupcake Murder ~ Blackberry Pie Murder ~ Home To Holly Springs ~ In The Company of Others ~ The Devil in the White City ~ Gathering Blue ~ Messenger ~ The Bell Jar ~ The Boys in the Boat ~ The Dead in Their Vaulted Arches ~ Son ~ Beach Colors ~ Welcome to Last Chance ~ Last Chance Beauty Queen ~ Last Chance Knit and Stitch ~ The World According to Garp ~ The Bean Trees
Glynis is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: